Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Foles... b4 or after the OTA's


Recommended Posts

Irsay and Ballard has too much invested without getting a veteran like Nick Foles as a backup. I like Sam Ehrlinger but needs another year. I honestly believe we will see Sam on key 4th down and endzone plays. The Eagles locker room really liked Nick. I don't think the Eagles would have won the SB with Carson Wentz. Nick doesn't have the arm but he has the brains to put us in the best possible play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

Irsay and Ballard has too much invested without getting a veteran like Nick Foles as a backup. I like Sam Ehrlinger but needs another year. I honestly believe we will see Sam on key 4th down and endzone plays. The Eagles locker room really liked Nick. I don't think the Eagles would have won the SB with Carson Wentz. Nick doesn't have the arm but he has the brains to put us in the best possible play. 


If it happens at all, it will likely happen afterwards….    In the 6 week window between the off-season program and the pre-season camp beginning in late July. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Foles has his moment and won the SB. Kudos to him.  He was rewarded with a big contract and hasn’t done anything with that opportunity on two very bad teams. I don’t want him on the Colts

I don't either but then again I don't think Matt Ryan will miss any games much like Rivers didn't. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say no to Foles at all.  How many times has Reich went and gone all goo goo after some player that he used to coach, and how many times has it not worked out?  Do we have to do this all over again?  Do we have to sign every single quarterback that he's ever coached?  Leave the past in the past, and play with new guys.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I say no to Foles at all.  How many times has Reich went and gone all goo goo after some player that he used to coach, and how many times has it not worked out?  Do we have to do this all over again?  Do we have to sign every single quarterback that he's ever coached?  Leave the past in the past, and play with new guys.


So Reich did well with Luck, Brissett,  Rivers and Wentz.   Got either their best year or one of their best years out of all of them.  
 

And you make it sound like he’s terrible at judging quarterbacks….   Because of what? 
Wentz?   Eason?    Ehlinger?    
 

Sigh….  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


So Reich did well with Luck, Brissett,  Rivers and Wentz.   Got either their best year or one of their best years out of all of them.  
 

And you make it sound like he’s terrible at judging quarterbacks….   Because of what? 
Wentz?   Eason?    Ehlinger?    
 

Sigh….  

LOL, that's the second time I've given this opinion, and that's the second time you've reacted with a confused emoji!  Ha ha!  At least we're nothing except consistent.  :D :D 

 

I'm just sick and tired of whenever we have a choice of quarterbacks, we have to go with the one that Reich has already coached.  Even if we already have our quarterbacks, and don't need one.  One of them becomes available, and we've got to stop everything and sign the guy.

Why did we take Rivers?  Because Reich coached him.  Why did we take Wentz?  Because Reich coached him.

Can't we just let one go buy and not jump at it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


So Reich did well with Luck, Brissett,  Rivers and Wentz.   Got either their best year or one of their best years out of all of them.  
 

And you make it sound like he’s terrible at judging quarterbacks….   Because of what? 
Wentz?   Eason?    Ehlinger?    
 

Sigh….  

I think Frank overall has done a good job. Reason why I put him in the good category and not the average category is because he has had so many different QB's. I think he coached JB as well as any coach could have. We were a good team with Luck and Rivers and with Wentz we should've made the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either but then again I don't think Matt Ryan will miss any games much like Rivers didn't. 

If Matt Ryan goes down we have no chance at winning a playoff game. Foles year with the Eagles is by far the exception. Great story but that’s all it is. It’s been 4yrs and he was relegated to 3rd string last I knew. 
 

All kind of pointless speculation anyways bc Matt Ryan is durable. The way this team is constructed our backup QB under Ryan will always be on a cheap rookie deal. I would rather roll the remaking cap space over to next year and use it for extensions than waste it on a veteran backup we might never need. Injuries can change all of that but chances are Ryan will start and finish every game unless it’s a blow out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If Matt Ryan goes down we have no chance at winning a playoff game. Foles year with the Eagles is by far the exception. Great story but that’s all it is. It’s been 4yrs and he was relegated to 3rd string last I knew. 
 

All kind of pointless speculation anyways bc Matt Ryan is durable. The way this team is constructed our backup QB under Ryan will always be on a cheap rookie deal. I would rather roll the remaking cap space over to next year and use it for extensions than waste it on a veteran backup we might never need. Injuries can change all of that but chances are Ryan will start and finish every game unless it’s a blow out. 

A point I brought up earlier in the week in here. If Matt Ryan does go down, then our SB chances are in the garbage anyway, JMO so I am ok with Sam as my backup.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


So Reich did well with Luck, Brissett,  Rivers and Wentz.   Got either their best year or one of their best years out of all of them.  
 

And you make it sound like he’s terrible at judging quarterbacks….   Because of what? 
Wentz?   Eason?    Ehlinger?    
 

Sigh….  

Apparently their best years weren’t good enough.  Not saying that’s the coach’s fault, but the players weren’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Apparently their best years weren’t good enough.  Not saying that’s the coach’s fault, but the players weren’t.


Weren't good enough?   The players were who they were.   They were the best we could get under extraordinary circumstances.  I’m not sure what else/more a fan could want? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, John Hammonds said:

I say no to Foles at all.  How many times has Reich went and gone all goo goo after some player that he used to coach, and how many times has it not worked out?  Do we have to do this all over again?  Do we have to sign every single quarterback that he's ever coached?  Leave the past in the past, and play with new guys.

Which players are you referring to?  Because I call nonsense on this one 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Weren't good enough?   The players were who they were.   They were the best we could get under extraordinary circumstances.  I’m not sure what else/more a fan could want? 

Meaning it’s time to move on from the past.   I want no part in Foles is my point.  Been down that path before with aforementioned QBs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

They had a notoriously injury prone guy last year and had Sam as a backup why do you think they need a veteran backup now?

 

There is no greater pressure this year versus last year?

I think there is much more pressure this year than last.  Absolutely.  Those last two games embarrassed the Colts, the owner, Ballard and Reich.  Now we are the favorites to win the division in most peoples eyes.  There is no way they will risk the season with Sam as the backup.  Foles will be the backup no doubt in my mind.  No way can they go with an unproven backup quarterback this year.  They can mitigate that risk quite easily with Foles.  I definitely expect him to be signed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Apparently their best years weren’t good enough.  Not saying that’s the coach’s fault, but the players weren’t.

 

I'd say that all were put in a conservative, short passing O. 

And all but Wentz had a good pass pro OL. 

So for the most part, it's fair to assume their numbers would look better given the environment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there is much more pressure this year than last.  Absolutely.  Those last two games embarrassed the Colts, the owner, Ballard and Reich.  Now we are the favorites to win the division in most peoples eyes.  There is no way they will risk the season with Sam as the backup.  Foles will be the backup no doubt in my mind.  No way can they go with an unproven backup quarterback this year.  They can mitigate that risk quite easily with Foles.  I definitely expect him to be signed.  

 

Backup QB though really didn't impact the last two games.

 

Both the OL and DL were completely horrible the last two games, so I'd say the trenches were biggest issue in our collapse. 

 

And overall, the OL, which ranked 30th in pass pro last season, was our single biggest issue, at least on O (though our DBs gave up the 2nd most passing TDs is also a big factor as well). I've seen several articles that credit Fisher as the biggest cause in at least 2 losses (Balt and TB). Both games he was on skates and his whiffs led directly to strip sacks that one could argue led to those losses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Backup QB though really didn't impact the last two games.

 

Both the OL and DL were completely horrible the last two games, so I'd say the trenches were biggest issue in our collapse. 

 

And overall, the OL, which ranked 30th in pass pro last season, was our single biggest issue, at least on O (though our DBs gave up the 2nd most passing TDs is also a big factor as well). I've seen several articles that credit Fisher as the biggest cause in at least 2 losses (Balt and TB). Both games he was on skates and his whiffs led directly to strip sacks that one could argue led to those losses.

All well and good.  But this is a different year and the circumstances are entirely different.  If the Colts were to miss the playoffs again because they decided to ride the season again with an unproven quarterback and they lose because of it I think heads will roll.  I can’t believe Ballard will take that chance with this team that is favored to win the division by most people.  This could be the year they need a backup quarterback to deliver.  Best to prepare for the possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

All well and good.  But this is a different year and the circumstances are entirely different.  If the Colts were to miss the playoffs again because they decided to ride the season again with an unproven quarterback and they lose because of it I think heads will roll.  I can’t believe Ballard will take that chance with this team that is favored to win the division by most people.  This could be the year they need a backup quarterback to deliver.  Best to prepare for the possibility.

 

Sorry, I'm super meh on Foles.

 

If they want a vet FA, they should go after Fitzmagic. He's had better passer ratings and QBRs of late. Neither really played last season. The two years prior, Fitz had QBRs of 68 and 71, while Foles had 36 and 35. 

 

To put it simply, Foles just isn't good. Dalton beat him out last season. All this "Reich will fix him" and "Reich has experience with him" stuff is just head scratching. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Meaning it’s time to move on from the past.   I want no part in Foles is my point.  Been down that path before with aforementioned QBs.


We’re looking for the best back up we can find.   If the guys we have are not the right guys, who do you want?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


We’re looking for the best back up we can find.   If the guys we have are not the right guys, who do you want?  

 

I don't want anyone, but if I have to pick from available FAs....

 

DnPl1LiWwAAzzho.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Sorry, I'm super meh on Foles.

 

If they want a vet FA, they should go after Fitzmagic. He's had better passer ratings and QBRs of late. Neither really played last season. The two years prior, Fitz had QBRs of 68 and 71, while Foles had 36 and 35. 

 

To put it simply, Foles just isn't good. Dalton beat him out last season. All this "Reich will fix him" and "Reich has experience with him" stuff is just head scratching. 

I would prefer Fitzmagic as well.  But all signs are pointing toward Foles.  That’s all I’m saying.  I think they will go with a veteran quarterback and if you connect the dots Foles is looking like the choice.  He’s the one I’m expecting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would prefer Fitzmagic as well.  But all signs are pointing toward Foles.  That’s all I’m saying.  I think they will go with a veteran quarterback and if you connect the dots Foles is looking like the choice.  He’s the one I’m expecting.

 

I don't doubt he's Frank's choice at all lol... I'm sure he is.

 

But I also am not surprised that many fans are reluctant to embrace another "Reich connection".....

 

Given Foles' performance (really lack of) the last 3 years, it's not a leap to assume if Foles is the guy, that Frank is driving the boat on the acquisition, and there's an obvious narrative that Reich can fix him.... and that is simply yucky. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

I don't want anyone, but if I have to pick from available FAs....

 

DnPl1LiWwAAzzho.jpg


I’d have no problem with FitzPatrick and I agree that Frank is going to prefer Foles over FitzPatrick.    But I think there’s more to this issue.   
 

Foles is going to be much more affordable than RF, and probably by a lot.  X2?   X3?   Not sure Ballard will be willing to go that far?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


I’d have no problem with FitzPatrick and I agree that Frank is going to prefer Foles over FitzPatrick.    But I think there’s more to this issue.   
 

Foles is going to be much more affordable than RF, and probably by a lot.  X2?   X3?   Not sure Ballard will be willing to go that far?

 

 

IDK. Fitzpatrick's stock has dropped as has Foles. And Cam is still available, and I think ranked higher than both (maybe near the same as RF). Really doubt Foles would sign a league min deal. 

 

Given the performance delta, I'd rather pay a little more for Fitz anyway.

 

But overall, given Foles horrible QBRs the past two years he played a decent amount of snaps, if Sam or Morgan can't rise to that level, I'd say Sam was a horrible investment of draft capital, and all the "we like Sam" talk was just nonsense, and more fluff from the FO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

IDK. Fitzpatrick's stock has dropped as has Foles. And Cam is still available, and I think ranked higher than both (maybe near the same as RF). Really doubt Foles would sign a league min deal. 

 

Given the performance delta, I'd rather pay a little more for Fitz anyway.

 

But overall, given Foles horrible QBRs the past two years he played a decent amount of snaps, if Sam or Morgan can't rise to that level, I'd say Sam was a horrible investment of draft capital, and all the "we like Sam" talk was just nonsense, and more fluff from the FO.


A late 6th round pick was….  “a horrible investment of draft capital.”

 

And….   “More fluff from the FO.”

 

Wowza….

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:


A late 6th round pick was….  “a horrible investment of draft capital.”

 

And….   “More fluff from the FO.”

 

Wowza….

 

The FO has praised SE. If they totally go another direction, then yes, fluff.... 

And it's just not his 6th rounder. They used a 4th on JE, and dumped him for SE. 

So if both end up non-factors that can't manage backup duties, one has to ask who is evaluating these guys (we know who). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The FO has praised SE. If they totally go another direction, then yes, fluff.... 

And it's just not his 6th rounder. They used a 4th on JE, and dumped him for SE. 

So if both end up non-factors that can't manage backup duties, one has to ask who is evaluating these guys (we know who). 


As with the Wentz deal, if we missed on Eason and/or Ehlinger we’ve missed small.  A 4 in one case, a 6 in another.   A small investment. 
 

As for Eason, we wanted him back on the PS, we had not given up on him.  And if we bring in another vet to be the backup, we will try to move SE or Morgan to the PS.  Again, a small investment. 
 

As for comments by the FO,  I don’t know why you insist on making this a negative?   Show me a team, ANY team, that drafts a QB and doesn’t say good things about their QB?   It doesn’t happen.   You keep trying to build a case for Frank's incompetence.  You view Eason and Ehlinger as just the latest examples.  I think you work way, way too hard to prove way too little. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


As with the Wentz deal, if we missed on Eason and/or Ehlinger we’ve missed small.  A 4 in one case, a 6 in another.   A small investment. 
 

As for Eason, we wanted him back on the PS, we had not given up on him.  And if we bring in another vet to be the backup, we will try to move SE or Morgan to the PS.  Again, a small investment. 
 

As for comments by the FO,  I don’t know why you insist on making this a negative?   Show me a team, ANY team, that drafts a QB and doesn’t say good things about their QB?   It doesn’t happen.   You keep trying to build a case for Frank's incompetence.  You view Eason and Ehlinger as just the latest examples.  I think you work way, way too hard to prove way too little. 

 

You're right. Frank has been exemplary in the QB department. He's had two of his guys as starters, and likely evaluated the two draft picks. And sounds like we might get another one of his guys. Can't wait...

 

lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

 

You're right. Frank has been exemplary in the QB department. He's had two of his guys as starters, and likely evaluated the two draft picks. And sounds like we might get another one of his guys. Can't wait...

 

lol


Cute….

 

Among people who are in the NFL as well as cover football for a living Frank has a great reputation (Quarterback  Whisperer) — something that drives you crazy.   And Ballard respects Frank’s judgement.  Again, to your disapproval.   Is he perfect?   No.  But far better than you make him out to be. 
 

His misses are small and his successes have been admired by most….  Except a segment of the fan base. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Cute….

 

Among people who are in the NFL as well as cover football for a living Frank has a great reputation (Quarterback  Whisperer) — something that drives you crazy.   And Ballard respects Frank’s judgement.  Again, to your disapproval.   Is he perfect?   No.  But far better than you make him out to be. 
 

His misses are small and his successes have been admired by most….  Except a segment of the fan base. 
 

 

Only things he did for us were help Luck in 2018 and get us Rivers (instead of Brady). Other than that, Frank has been a detriment to the Colts. Mediocre coach who makes mistakes like a rookie at times, misuses players, actually screwed Ballard over telling him to get Wentz. If the Commanders weren't dumb enough to give up so much for him, we would of been worse off. He told Ballard to take guys like Eason, Sam, Strachan, Campbell, Granson and more that haven't worked out (Pittman has). 

 

Reich won a SB with Philly, but that was as an Offensive Coordinator. As a coach, he is outmatched. He is easily the weak link of this team and is why we won't win a SB no matter how good it is. I would honestly fire him if we miss the playoffs again. He is an anchor, and Ballard always has to bail him out of a bad situation. Reich has had his guys at QB, and he still is mediocre. I can only imagine him coaching a rookie. We also start slow every year. lose the first game every year, and lose in Jax every year. Reich will say he has to do better, but he doesn't.

 

Give me your opinion, why should I have faith in Reich right now? What has he done as a coach on the Colts to warrant that? Don't give me a quote from someone else. I want your opinion, why should I trust Reich not to ruin this team heading into the season?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was very much against our signing Wentz and vowed to turn a blind eye to the Colts last season… I think it lasted maybe 4 weeks lol. Not only did I watch the games, I also watched Hard Knocks.  I learned that I’m all talk, I can’t back it up. I’ll bleed blue forever. Go Colts! 
    • Brooks will need a year or two.  He's got a tweener type frame. He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options. IMO, he'll end up a PS guy. Johnson could end up on the PS too.    Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.
    • Agree in general. But a lot of reviews have called out his slender bottom half. I watched some of his film, and he really struggled at times, even with LBs. 
    • Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts by Jaleel Grandberry   Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft. The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann. While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft. In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati. Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling. Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays. In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests. Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans. Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling   Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class) Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best) Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best) True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best) True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best) Run Defense grade: 69.9
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...