Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Phillip Lindsay

Shive

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm assuming this is a near vet-min deal, but he's really good depth at the very least.

He was good for a while in Denver. Had a couple good years. He was bad on the Texans, but could do better with this O-Line. I like him as a no3 back.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That is a terrible guess. 

I would imagine this is Mack's replacement.

I don't think so. We need Hines on the field. We can't keep one of our best playmakers sidelined

Lindsay and catch passes like Hines too. We will see if he makes the team. Just a weird signing. I thought they liked Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Hopefully this means less of Hines up the middle on 3&1...This seems like an actual backup to Taylor.

No this is a guy more like Hines I think. You aren’t pounding the ball fot one yard with Lindsey. He is very small.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He was good for a while in Denver. Had a couple good years. He was bad on the Texans, but could do better with this O-Line. I like him as a no3 back.

He was certainly fantasy relevant as a rookie. 

Fun fact: In my keeper league were we get to keep 3, I made a silly win-now move in the middle of the 2018 season, where I traded an injured Dalvin Cook for rookie Phillip Lindsay and TY Hilton.

Got the regular season and champ belt that year, but had to watch Cook go on to be a top 3 RB the next two years haha   

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think so. We need Hines on the field. We can't keep one of our best playmakers sidelined

He will be on the field. I don't think Lindsay impacts that in any way. I think Lindsay is just depth in case something happens to Taylor. Haven't the Colts carried (4) RBs the past few years? 

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This isn’t going to sideline Hines.  It’s protection if something happens to Hines or Taylor so neither of them has to become the other in the offense.

19 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He will be on the field. I don't think Lindsay impacts that in any way. I think Lindsay is just depth in case something happens to Taylor. Haven't the Colts carried (4) RBs the past few years? 

I'm referring to Hines being used less as a runner. I would prefer to see Hines more in the slot or as a decoy next to Taylor. Defenses react when he's on the field.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This isn’t going to sideline Hines.  It’s protection if something happens to Hines or Taylor so neither of them has to become the other in the offense.

I'm talking about last year. Hines was not nearly used as much as he should have been. I get it. Taylor was killing, but there is more unique ways to use Hines.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think we are all expecting TY but Emmanuel Sanders is still out there.

I really would love to look into Will Fuller. Yes he's hurt a lot, but when healthy can still take the top off defenses

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lindsay and catch passes like Hines too. We will see if he makes the team. Just a weird signing. I thought they liked Jackson. 

No this is a guy more like Hines I think. You aren’t pounding the ball fot one yard with Lindsey. He is very small.

Oops. I thought he was bigger than what he is.

52 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm talking about last year. Hines was not nearly used as much as he should have been. I get it. Taylor was killing, but there is more unique ways to use Hines.

Last year was last year.  It seems the Colts realized that they didn’t use him enough and are at least talking about using him differently this year which is all they can do at this point.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Last year was last year.  It seems the Colts realized that they didn’t use him enough and are at least talking about using him differently this year which is all they can do at this point.

Which is fine. I'm just saying Lindsey could spell Taylor without it messing with Hines usage. 

The depth on this team is gonna be better than its ever been, IMO. Another sneaky good signing from Ballard. With this OL, I could see Lindsay becoming a great 2nd RB behind Taylor. I forgot about him, but he had 2 great years in Denver before kind of falling off the face of the earth the last 2 years. He is still only 27 years old.

I think it also signifies the Colts are pretty serious about using Hines more in the slot as a receiver. 

Training camp cant get here fast enough.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Which is fine. I'm just saying Lindsey could spell Taylor without it messing with Hines usage. 

The Colts main goal on offense this year should be to get Hines 75+ catches. He has had 63 twice, so thats obviously a realistic goal. 

I feel like if they do that the offense is gonna be humming. And with no Jack Doyle,  we need someone to step up on 2nd and 3rd down to provide those 7-8 yarders that either keep 3rd down manageable, or convert those longer 3rd and 5+ that are so crucial and hard to get. That is so, so important. 

Hines can be that dude for us.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I would imagine this is Mack's replacement.

I think he's being brought in to battle with Deon Jackson for the RB3 slot, so pretty much Mack's replacement on the roster. At the very least, we have some really good depth and competition at RB.

14 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The Colts main goal on offense this year should be to get Hines 75+ catches. He has had 63 twice, so thats obviously a realistic goal. 

I kinda don't, because I want to see more production from our receivers. A ton of catches by a RB can mean at least partly that it's because the WRs/TEs aren't getting the job done. 

3 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Hopefully this means less of Hines up the middle on 3&1...This seems like an actual backup to Taylor.

? Lindsey is a little jitterbug kind of guy. More like Hines than Taylor. That's why I find this a curious move, though I like the low risk/potential upside part of it.  tbh I'd rather have Mack, but we're quite thin at RB. 

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think he's being brought in to battle with Deon Jackson for the RB3 slot, so pretty much Mack's replacement on the roster. At the very least, we have some really good depth and competition at RB.

Lindsay was brought in to battle Borghi,Verdell and Price for the 3 and 4 back roles. Wouldnt be surprised if Jackson cut in the next few days honestly last in the NFL in ypc last season at 2.4 (he was a backup in college at well at Duke). Lindsey avg 2.8 yards a carry last year slight above Jackson so will need to show he is back to his pre injury form.

17 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I kinda don't, because I want to see more production from our receivers. A ton of catches by a RB can mean at least partly that it's because the WRs/TEs aren't getting the job done. 

? Lindsey is a little jitterbug kind of guy. More like Hines than Taylor. That's why I find this a curious move, though I like the low risk/potential upside part of it.  tbh I'd rather have Mack, but we're quite thin at RB. 

I dont see those things as mutually exclusive.

75 catches for Hines only equates to around 600 yards for the season, and a little over 4 catches a game on average. 

Plenty of opportunities for WRs over the course of a season. And they are gonna need someone to help open it up for them. 

Yes Phillip Lindsay is a smaller guy but he has been an NFL lead back for two years (with 1000+ yards) and then a 50/50 back as the Broncos went bigger at the RB position and then totally buried last year between Houston and Miami. 

Not sure if can carry a full season load but he can certainly spell JT from time to time.

The other thing to think about is the chance that we will see Hines line up more in the slot and play a bit more traditional WR role and run the ball more on trick plays like jet sweeps and the like? 

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I feel like if they do that the offense is gonna be humming. And with no Jack Doyle,  we need someone to step up on 2nd and 3rd down to provide those 7-8 yarders that either keep 3rd down manageable, or convert those longer 3rd and 5+ that are so crucial and hard to get. That is so, so important. 

Hines can be that dude for us.

I don’t know about 75+, but I certainly want 65+.    I don’t mean to be splitting hairs.  

Either way, I agree strongly with the rest of your post.   That’s the heart of Frank’s offense.  Eat some clock, tire out the opposing defense while giving our defense rest.  Of course we want to increase our quick strike capability, it has to be an effective weapon.  We need to be able to stop defenses from crowding the Line Of Scrimmage and force them to defend the entire field. 

Archived