Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

10/6/22 TNF on Amazon Prime (Colts at Broncos)

I don't do the whole streaming thing and don't have Amazon Prime.  I saw that you can do a 30 day free trial - is that best way to see our Thursday night game?  I watch the non-prime time games at my local sports bar on Direct TV.  I'm just concerned about the Thursday game this year.

BTW, I heard that there is a possibility that Apple TV may try and get the NFL package when the Direct TV package expires after the 2022 season.  Are there any out of town Colt fans like me who don't do the streaming thing?  How do you plan on watching games if this goes through?  Just curious.

• Like 1

You might want to give streaming a try. If you have internet there are ways to stream for very cheap.  

I have a small antenna since I have good LOS to the local TV antennas - on a hill about 5 miles away.  I do have Amazon Prime for the $130 a year.  No cable or satellite.  

Anyway - I can then add monthly subscriptions to just about anything if I want or as right now I have no additional subscriptions so TV is cheap.

Many options other than Amazon too.  If Apple TV takes over the NFL package I might check it out.

1 hour ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

I don't do the whole streaming thing and don't have Amazon Prime.  I saw that you can do a 30 day free trial - is that best way to see our Thursday night game?  I watch the non-prime time games at my local sports bar on Direct TV.  I'm just concerned about the Thursday game this year.

BTW, I heard that there is a possibility that Apple TV may try and get the NFL package when the Direct TV package expires after the 2022 season.  Are there any out of town Colt fans like me who don't do the streaming thing?  How do you plan on watching games if this goes through?  Just curious.

I wouldn't do anything that inconveniences you too much.  Thursday night game are typically bad games.   Not bad teams, just bad play.  Wish the Colts did not have this game on Thursday night.  Maybe plan on watching it at your bar.

I have Amazon Prime (my works account) and I don't watch it much at all.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

You might want to give streaming a try. If you have internet there are ways to stream for very cheap.  

I have a small antenna since I have good LOS to the local TV antennas - on a hill about 5 miles away.  I do have Amazon Prime for the $130 a year.  No cable or satellite.  

Anyway - I can then add monthly subscriptions to just about anything if I want or as right now I have no additional subscriptions so TV is cheap.

Many options other than Amazon too.  If Apple TV takes over the NFL package I might check it out.

I loved the convenience of 1990s analog.  Had a handy book that I could take with me to highlight the shows interested over the next week or month.   Then turn on the TV and manipulate the channels using just one remote.  One wire out of the wall and into the TV with no boxes.  And the picture was always perfect without interruption. All wrapped up in one monthly fee that was set up to debit out of my bank account.  A pretty Smart way to do it that somebody decided was not "smart" enough, LOL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I loved the convenience of 1990s analog.  Had a handy book that I could take with me and highlight the shows interested over the next week or month.   Then turn on the TV and manipulate the channels using just one remote.  One wire out of the wall and into the TV with no boxes.  All wrapped up in one monthly fee that was set up to debit out of my bank account.  Pretty Smart way to do that somebody decided was not good enough.

TV Guide?

It's has gotten better in some ways and worse in others. 

Cable companies blew it by not offering good service.  They had gotten very arrogant as the only choice for people.  Dish and Direct TV capitalized on it and flourished.  Now there are many streaming options all competing against each other.   

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I loved the convenience of 1990s analog.  Had a handy book that I could take with me to highlight the shows interested over the next week or month.   Then turn on the TV and manipulate the channels using just one remote.  One wire out of the wall and into the TV with no boxes.  And the picture was always perfect without interruption. All wrapped up in one monthly fee that was set up to debit out of my bank account.  A pretty Smart way to do it that somebody decided was not "smart" enough, LOL.

Agreed - but over time the whole cable thing just became too expensive and too cumbersome (set top box, remotes, etc.)

If we go back even farther when we only had 4 channels it was even easier - unless you were the kid that had to stand up and hold the rabbit ears when the reception was bad.  :thmup:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

Agreed - but over time the whole cable thing just became too expensive and too cumbersome (set top box, remotes, etc.)

If we go back even farther when we only had 4 channels it was even easier - unless you were the kid that had to stand up and hold the rabbit ears when the reception was bad.  :thmup:

When it was good, we had no boxes on the TV...we had boxes when the cable signal "evolved" to digital and you had to convert your analog TV to work on the new signal.  I don't remember having a box when the cable signal was analog...it was just one wire from the wall directly into the TV.  And I just used the remote that came with the TV.   I also was able to use splitters in the cable line and hook up every TV in the house from one feed, one price, because the analog signal was much simpler.  The digital signal requires a more robust feed, so splitting the wires compromises the signal.

There were/are disadvantages to the old way.  I'm really commenting upon the idea that the current way is somehow sold as being more convenient than the old way, when it sure does seem a lot more fussy.  And having to chase after different ways to find a show when the process used to be very simple makes me feel like we've regressed into the stupid....not smart.

But I guess I could not have gotten the live Colts game in a far away place unless the cable company broadcasted it....of course it would for a Thursday night game.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When it was good, we had no boxes on the TV...we had boxes when the cable signal "evolved" to digital and you had to convert your analog TV to work on the new signal.  I don't remember having a box when the cable signal was analog...it was just one wire from the wall directly into the TV.  And I just used the remote that came with the TV.   I also was able to use splitters in the cable line and hook up every TV in the house from one feed, one price, because the analog signal was much simpler.  The digital signal requires a more robust feed, so splitting the wires compromises the signal.

There were/are disadvantages to the old way.  I'm really commenting upon the idea that the current way is somehow sold as being more convenient than the old way, when it sure does seem a lot more fussy.  And having to chase after different ways to find a show when the process used to be very simple makes me feel like we've regressed into the stupid....not smart.

But I guess I could not have gotten the live Colts game in a far away place unless the cable company broadcasted it....of course it would for a Thursday night game.

Pros and cons going both ways.  I remember when the first thing we got (lived in apartments) and with "cable" all we got was HBO and we needed a box for that.  But then cable did improve as you said.

Now we have so many more options, but the options create segments in content and regular changes - not improvements - in content delivery.

I'm a little concerned Doug you are set in your ways.  Any minute I can imagine hearing you say "get off my lawn!" 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Pros and cons going both ways.  I remember when the first thing we got (lived in apartments) and with "cable" all we got was HBO and we needed a box for that.  But then cable did improve as you said.

Now we have so many more options, but the options create segments in content and regular changes - not improvements - in content delivery.

I'm a little concerned Doug you are set in your ways.  Any minute I can imagine hearing you say "get off my lawn!" 

Digital is sold as both convenient and smart.  You're dumb if you don't use it.  I see that thinking as more of a sales pitch than truth.

I'm old enough to remember the slogan, went something like "Smart mothers choose Jif".  Nah, its just peanut butter.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Digital is sold as both convenient and smart.  You're dumb if you don't use it.  I see that thinking as more of a sales pitch than truth.

I'm old enough to remember the slogan, went something like "Smart mothers choose Jif".  Nah, its just peanut butter.

It is important to remember that all of these folks out there are trying to sell us something.

I have "smart" appliances in my kitchen.  No way I am hooking any of that stuff to the internet.  Same for furnace, water heater, garage door openers, etc.  The last thing I want it for someone to have the ability to hack into my house and update all my "smart" stuff.  No Alexa either.  No camera on my TV.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

It is important to remember that all of these folks out there are trying to sell us something.

I have "smart" appliances in my kitchen.  No way I am hooking any of that stuff to the internet.  Same for furnace, water heater, garage door openers, etc.  The last thing I want it for someone to have the ability to hack into my house and update all my "smart" stuff.  No Alexa either.  No camera on my TV.

I didn't want to start a techno-rant here.  It is getting a bit frustrating to not be able to easily find a game being played on Thursday Night.  The bits and pieces method to chopping up the product seems regressive to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

yes and I hate streaming.

I realize some hate streaming, but it's only going to get more and more prevalent. So either get with the program lol, or prepare to be even more grumpy in the years to come.

Just specifically on Amazon Prime. The yearly cost is well worth it. Tons of movies and TV shows, great music library if you have an Echo or other device, and the shipping alone will save you the total year's fee if you do a modest level of buying. The Amazon devices are very reasonable as well. 

I personally have several Echo devices and Fire TV/Sticks throughout my house. I put Echo devices in most of the rooms in my mothers house as she can use it to call for help should she ever fall or have a medical issue. She also likes rocking out to Neil Diamond and Lionel Richie.. lol. She uses it for timers/alarms, weather, etc.. I even linked her vid surv and doorbell into it. If she can handle it at 77 (of course I set it up for her lol), it can't be that hard to embrace. 

• Like 1

I have no issue with streaming, aside from the fact that all these streamers have created a segmented market for content. But it's their content, so no sense in complaining about it. I don't have to watch everything.

But I don't like live sports via streaming. I like being able to set my DVR, pause, rewind, fast forward through commercials (which is the biggest reason streamers want a piece of the pie, because then you have to watch all their ads), re-watch the broadcast later, etc. I don't like being interrupted by buffering, and then missing a piece of the action as it catches up. I want to be able to pause if I have to take a phone call, or give my attention to anything else for a few minutes. I'm not a fan of the impending migration of sports, especially NFL games, to streamers exclusively.

And I think local games still have to be broadcast on local TV (I believe???), but I'm not in Indy, so this doesn't help me for Colts games.

I tried to cord cut a couple years ago. Tried out different services for live TV -- Hulu, Youtube, Sling. They have some decent offerings, Sling even has Redzone, and it's Scott Hansen, not Andrew Siciliano, so even better. But all the limitations on how/when you watch, whether you can record, if you can pause, etc., plus unpredictable buffering and outages, sent me back to DirecTV and Sunday Ticket. Eventually DirecTV is gonna go to a streamer, sounds like Apple, and that's really gonna suck.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:46 AM, MarylandTerrapin said:

Think twice about trusting Amazon prime! I ordered a fishing reel from them and lures. It said if I tried Amazon prime video on a trial basis I would get free shipping on my order. I said ok. I watched Prime and the Man in the high castle but decided not to renew because even with Prime you still often need to pay for most of the better content.  So I tried to cancel prime video, and tried!, and tried, and tried.....etc.... I wound up paying for 2 months of prime despite wanting to cancel. I had to tell the bank to issue me a new card with a new number on it.......Be careful with them.

As far as streaming I like it I guess. I just don't have that much time to take advantage of watching movies all night long.....which is why I canceled, or atleast tried to cancel prime video. Lol

I get lots of stuff from Roku, including all the horse racing channels through the TVG app and lots of free content that's good on Samsung TV Plus, just wifi is all that's needed with them. And though I happily cut the cord a few years ago I now have free basic with Dish Network and added a receiver at not a high price. 

It will be a cold day in Hades before I pay for another service just to see one Colts game. I don't like streaming and would get rid of them all if the wife would let me. I rarely miss a game so this sucks for me.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:46 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Think twice about trusting Amazon prime! I ordered a fishing reel from them and lures. It said if I tried Amazon prime video on a trial basis I would get free shipping on my order. I said ok. I watched Prime and the Man in the high castle but decided not to renew because even with Prime you still often need to pay for most of the better content.  So I tried to cancel prime video, and tried!, and tried, and tried.....etc.... I wound up paying for 2 months of prime despite wanting to cancel. I had to tell the bank to issue me a new card with a new number on it.......Be careful with them.

Thanks for the info.  I had planned on signing up a few days before the game and then cancelling the day after the game airs.  I wasn't going to purchase anything or look at other videos.  My card is with a  State Employee Credit Union so they should come to bat for me if Amazon charges me.  My real concern is if the regular games go to Apple TV streaming in 2023 - I think it will cause a major blowout with fans and sports bars nationwide.  Remember, the NFL has already been losing viewership over the past few years with all of the "wokeness".  When I watch football, it is my escape to what is going on in the world.  I'm sure this goes for many fans as well.

• Like 1

I stream with YOUTUBE TV, but my complaint is it seems like every sport has games on different streaming services. 

the Cardinals had games on Apple TV and Peacock premium this weekend. Now the Colts on Prime…

yes none are crazy, but $5 here and $5 there starts to add up. I wish the local outlet had the right to air too.

Fortunately - I live in the Indianapolis marketing area - and - according to NFL television rules - the game will have to be shown to the "local audience" regardless of which network is broadcasting.

After have the NFL tell fans that the NFL Network would be FREE to fans - and - then having cable companies add it in to a special sports package - which they could charge for - I'm not paying a cent to watch anything other than Colts games on Thursday nights.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Fortunately - I live in the Indianapolis marketing area - and - according to NFL television rules - the game will have to be shown to the "local audience" regardless of which network is broadcasting.

After have the NFL tell fans that the NFL Network would be FREE to fans - and - then having cable companies add it in to a special sports package - which they could charge for - I'm not paying a cent to watch anything other than Colts games on Thursday nights.

I figured it will be shown here regardless. Maybe on our Fox or CBS locally.