Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does the whole Andrew Luck situation make me mad still

sb2001

@sb2001 I understand your frustration.  My one solace to get me through has been this: I am a Colts fan - not just a fan of any one particular person. I had to keep reminding myself for a while that Andrew Luck retired… not the Colts. The Colts are still here and still a team (however jacked up we may be haha), and that is where my passion lies. GO COLTS forever!! :colts::rock:Happy to be on the forum with those who feel the same. :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate that Luck botched his own retirement as badly as possible.   A very private person by nature, he shared so little information that he has left people trying to figure out how he could walk away from a promising career while in his prime. 

What fully happened?   We likely will never know…

That said, here’s what we do know because Luck literally said so….    He was in constant debilitating pain for four straight years.   Not four seasons….  But years.   It didn’t go away, not even during the off-season when most players regroup and recharge for the upcoming season.   Four straight years of pain.   It sucked the joy out of playing a game that Luck used to love playing.  

Have you noticed there are few if any stories by former players complaining about what Luck did?   Because most players get it.  Being in constant rehab is the worst for a professional athlete.   And they’d make the same choice as soon as they’re financially able. 

Just because we don’t know the full and complete story, there’s no need to over-think this.   Luck has retired and it’s believed he is no longer in any pain.   I know it sucks for the Colts, but we have to move on.   

So if he was in all this pain, he must really be dumb. Had he thrown the ball away and got down instead of taking all those hits, he could still be playing and not be in pain. Doesn’t look like Brady is in much pain. 

27 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

It’s been awhile now let it go things happen. I was upset at the moment then I moved on. But he did set this franchise back several years as we all know. 

I hope you’re talking to the OP and not me?   I moved past this years ago.  And I was Luck’s biggest admirer here.  

21 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

So if he was in all this pain, he must really be dumb. Had he thrown the ball away and got down instead of taking all those hits, he could still be playing and not be in pain. Doesn’t look like Brady is in much pain. 

Brady also doesn’t go doing stupid tricks on snow boards in the off season either. That is my problem with Luck’s bogus pain complaint. He, by his own admission, never gave himself time to heal in the offseason, 

19 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry?   Among the most astonishing takes I’ve ever read here on 10 years.   By your logic, every quarterback should play at a high level until they’re 45, after all, Tom Brady did.   

Dear God…..   :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Brady also doesn’t go doing stupid tricks on snow boards in the off season either. That is my problem with Luck’s bogus pain complaint. He, by his own admission, never gave himself time to heal in the offseason, 

I don’t even think you’re aware that the injury that Luck suffered snow boarding, is NOT the injury that gave Luck the most trouble.   It was the shoulder injury he suffered against Tennessee in the 2015 season.  

I don’t understand your rant on this?   Luck suffered two different shoulder area injuries.  Different.  One playing football in 2015 and one snow boarding and one snowboarding in the winter of 16.   He also suffered a lacerated kidney playing football that cost him half a season.   He suffered a bad wrist injury in 2016 that he played most of the year with.  He took off the 2017 season and traveled around the country seeing different doctors.  He even flew to Europe for experimental treatment.  

His four years of pain was NOT due to one injury.   It was due to multiple injuries.  One after another.   You seem fixated on one injury.  Nit inky is it the wrong injury, but it missed the bigger picture.   That it was multiple injuries over multiple years.  You’ve wasted years being angry at Luck over the completely wrong thing. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t even think you’re aware that the injury that Luck suffered snow boarding, is NOT the injury that gave Luck the most trouble.   It was the shoulder injury he suffered against Tennessee in the 2015 season.  

I don’t understand your rant on this?   Luck suffered two different shoulder area injuries.  Different.  One playing football in 2015 and one snow boarding and one snowboarding in the winter of 16.   He also suffered a lacerated kidney playing football that cost him half a season.   He suffered a bad wrist injury in 2016 that he played most of the year with.  He took off the 2017 season and traveled around the country seeing different doctors.  He even flew to Europe for experimental treatment.  

His four years of pain was NOT due to one injury.   It was due to multiple injuries.  One after another.   You seem fixated on one injury.  Nit inky is it the wrong injury, but it missed the bigger picture.   That it was multiple injuries over multiple years.  You’ve wasted years being angry at Luck over the completely wrong thing. 

Oh I’m not angry at Luck at all. It is what it is at this point. I’m calling it as I see it. It’s my opinion and mine alone. Whether or not you think it is the right one or not, doesn’t change my view point. And that point is that Andrew Luck does not deserve to be in the RoH next to such guys as Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and others. Period. And to be fair and honest, neither does Harbaugh 

40 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I seriously doubt pain was the reason  he quit on his team. Sure, football players deal with pain; QBs usually less...and the smarter ones much less because they get hit a lot less because they do the LOS reads well and know where to throw it early and get rid of it before they get hit, like peyton, brady, marino, rivers etc....

Pain was probably just the reason he used to justify why quitting.  Who really knows the reasons besides a lack of love for the game???

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I seriously doubt pain was the reason  he quit on his team. Sure, football players deal with pain; QBs usually less...and the smarter ones much less because they get hit a lot less because they do the LOS reads well and know where to throw it early and get rid of it before they get hit, like peyton, brady, marino, rivers etc....

Pain was probably just the reason he used to justify why quitting.  Who really knows the reasons besides a lack of love for the game???

Oh, Dear God…..    wow!    :facepalm:

The one small thing I dislike about American Football in particular is how personal some fans get regarding personal decisions players make and the grudges they hold long after. The only thing I want to see out of a player on any of my favorite teams is for them to give their best on the field when they're out there. Luck never cheated any Colts fan out of that. He gave us some gem performances that don't deserve to be ignored or to be disregarded just because the timing of his retirement didn't seem the best to us fans.

LIke others have said, I'm very sure Reich and Ballard knew that Luck was contemplating retirement that off-season if not longer then that. It most likely was a big reason the JB trade was made imo. I very much doubt he came in last second and was like '* Ballard, I'm retiring next week. Good luck replacing me.' The guy put his body on the line all the time while playing and was always a great competitor. If his body didn't allow him to continue playing this vicious game, and it really is vicious, then I believe him completely. Fans acting like Luck just wasn't tough or that they themselves are tougher and would keep on playing despite not knowing how injured he was are pretty pathetic imo. He didn't plan on making the next few seasons worse for Colts fans since he couldn't play anymore, but a lot of you take it that way for whatever reason. I can't tell you how to feel, but I myself couldn't enjoy sports if I had the same mentality.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I’m not angry at Luck at all. It is what it is at this point. I’m calling it as I see it. It’s my opinion and mine alone. Whether or not you think it is the right one or not, doesn’t change my view point. And that point is that Andrew Luck does not deserve to be in the RoH next to such guys as Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and others. Period. And to be fair and honest, neither does Harbaugh 

I honestly don’t care about the RoH at all.  I’m fine if it never happens.   I’d hate to have Luck show up only to have thousands boo him. 

The guy was here 7 years and made one mistake.  And people here can’t get past it.  And the focus is entirely wrong.  Wrong injury, the number of injuries,  the constant pain.  
All of it. 

Luck retiring did not shock me but the timing did. I could bring more than 10 NFL fans on here and they would back up that I told them all that Andrew Luck would not play past 30.

Learning about his make up and the nagging health issues, I just thought he was a complicated, thoughtful individual who didn't define himself on the game. 

Bottom line: I felt he was too smart to play the game long term. He knew the damage it can do. No hate for him. I couldn't comeback from half the hits he took.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry?   Among the most astonishing takes I’ve ever read here on 10 years.   By your logic, every quarterback should play at a high level until they’re 45, after all, Tom Brady did.   

Dear God…..   :facepalm:

Luck didn’t play at a high level at 30. He quit!

21 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Oh get off your high horse. You've never done anything because you felt it bettered your life? Life isn't all about football.

50 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Thanks, Capt Obvious!     :thmup:

Thanks for telling us something that all of  us have always known, was never in dispute.  

If you somehow think you’re hurting me because Luck was my favorite player — guess  again!    But keep being you!  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I honestly don’t care about the RoH at all.  I’m fine if it never happens.   I’d hate to have Luck show up only to have thousands boo him. 

The guy was here 7 years and made one mistake.  And people here can’t get past it.  And the focus is entirely wrong.  Wrong injury, the number of injuries,  the constant pain.  
All of it. 

To me, he’s a coward. A deserter, a whimp, a p....y. Not because he retired, but he did it in the way he did it. As I’ve said all along, he screwed his teammates, his coaches, his team and his own legacy. If he wanted to retire, do it in March. Don’t do it 10 days before the season. That was a pure slap in the franchise’s face and the face of every fan everywhere. If he ever shows up at LOS again or any Colts stadium, I hope that the fans shower him with boos and more

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To me, he’s a coward. A deserter, a whimp, a p....y. Not because he retired, but he did it in the way he did it. As I’ve said all along, he screwed his teammates, his coaches, his team and his own legacy. If he wanted to retire, do it in March. Don’t do it 10 days before the season. That was a pure slap in the franchise’s face and the face of every fan everywhere. If he ever shows up at LOS again or any Colts stadium, I hope that the fans shower him with boos and more

Here you go again….  Read this thread…. A number of posters here are saying the same thing I have..   that odds are strong that Luck was ready to retire much earlier in the off-season and was encouraged to hold off his decision in the hope he’d heal, feel better, and change his mind.

He’s the son of an NFL QB….  He knows the right thing to do.  The idea that he’d screw his teammates goes against everything Luck has done in his career.   Why you choose to believe this is a complete mystery.   If he had screwed the team, I don’t see Irsay giving him a $25 mill going away gift.   He’s a guy driven to do the right thing and not be selfish.  And yet you act like you don’t know Luck at all.   You’ve been attached to a false narrative for years.  And it boils over with Luck being a coward, a wimp, a p***y.    

I know it doesn’t matter what I say.  God could tell you you’re wrong and you’re not changing your view.   I’m sorry that you wasted 7 years of being a Colts fan with Luck here.  You clearly learned nothing about him.   How sad. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

So you're mad because he was doing tricks on a snowboard? Taylor went on a survival trip in a blizzard. Where was your complaints then? Also every QB is gonna rush back as quickly as they can especially if you're the franchise of your team.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You try doing that with the worst olines ever assembled

I think saying "worst" is jumping the shark a bit. Luck did bring on a lot of issues himself. 

They were bad no doubt in 12 and 13, but started getting better after that. 

2014 - 17th (even with a lot of injuries especially at C)

2015 - 15th

2016 - 25th (injuries ravaged the OL)

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think saying "worst" is jumping the shark a bit. Luck did bring on a lot of issues himself. 

They were bad no doubt in 12 and 13, but started getting better after that. 

2014 - 17th (even with a lot of injuries especially at C)

2015 - 15th

2016 - 25th (injuries ravaged the OL)

Are we really trying to argue the o-line was Andrew's fault? Was Cam Jordan suplexing him his fault as well?

Just now, CR91 said:

Are we really trying to argue the o-line was Andrew's fault? Was Cam Jordan suplexing him his fault as well?

I'm not putting it all on Luck. But it's no secret he could have done more to throw the ball away. And when your OL is middle of the pack (like 14 and 15), saying "worst" is just too much hyperbole. They were the worst in Luck's rook year, but after that, they started improving. A few years, the improvement was stalled/slowed due to a lot of injury which caused up and down play due to poor depth. Could the OL have been better, sure, without a doubt. But Luck also created a level of risk all by himself. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not putting it all on Luck. But it's no secret he could have done more to throw the ball away. And when your OL is middle of the pack (like 14 and 15), saying "worst" is just too much hyperbole. They were the worst in Luck's rook year, but after that, they started improving. A few years, the improvement was stalled/slowed due to a lot of injury which caused up and down play due to poor depth. Could the OL have been better, sure, without a doubt. But Luck also created a level of risk all by himself. 

If the line was middle of the pack (which I don't even buy) it's because Andrew got out of the pocket and avoided pressure not because the line was giving him time. I'm not saying Andrew didn't hold on to the ball, but to try to say the o-line was actually getting better is completely misleading.  The line was constantly changing with little to no consistency outside of AC. Mewhort helped, but was constantly getting hurt. For god sake, he had trash like Stalae, Mike Mcglynn, Leraven Clark, Hugh Thornton, and Khalid Holmes.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If the line was middle of the pack (which I don't even buy) it's because Andrew got out of the pocket and avoided pressure not because the line was giving him time. I'm not saying Andrew didn't hold on to the ball, but to try to say the o-line was actually getting better is completely misleading.  The line was constantly changing with little to no consistency outside of AC. Mewhort helped, but was constantly getting hurt. For god sake, he had trash like Stalae, Mike Mcglynn, Leraven Clark, Hugh Thornton, and Khalid Holmes.

The rankings I quoted are PFF, and based on sacks and pressures allowed. It is what it is and all teams/OLs are graded the same. If you want to discount stats, OK.

I'd also add that in 2016, Luck had one of the highest time-to-throws in the league, meaning the OL either held well, or he hung on too long. In short, you can't have it both ways. 

Again, not putting this all on Luck. But it's obvious to most he could have been a lot better protecting himself. 

If you want to discount PFF OL ranks, or his time to throw, I'll leave you with Andrew's own words in 2016.....

"You are going to have a clock in your head regardless of how much you are getting hit or not hit or sacked or whatever that is," Luck said, via ESPN.com. "Again, I have said this before, I don't think the sacks are necessarily indicative of how well our offensive line is playing. You can probably blame me for holding the ball too long. It is that clock developing in the game."

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The rankings I quoted are PFF, and based on sacks and pressures allowed. It is what it is and all teams/OLs are graded the same. If you want to discount stats, OK.

I'd also add that in 2016, Luck had one of the highest time-to-throws in the league, meaning the OL either held well, or he hung on too long. In short, you can't have it both ways. 

Again, not putting this all on Luck. But it's obvious to most he could have been a lot better protecting himself. 

If you want to discount PFF OL ranks, or his time to throw, I'll leave you with Andrew's own words in 2016.....

"You are going to have a clock in your head regardless of how much you are getting hit or not hit or sacked or whatever that is," Luck said, via ESPN.com. "Again, I have said this before, I don't think the sacks are necessarily indicative of how well our offensive line is playing. You can probably blame me for holding the ball too long. It is that clock developing in the game."

Andrew will never blame the o-line. Andrew was always team first and putting blame on himself. Just go watch the Saints game in 2016. Nothing about that game was Andrew having time to throw.

Anyone who thought the line was “decent” when Luck was here didn’t watch games.  Luck did what great QBs do he made others around him look better than they were and outside of AC and Mewhort (when healthy) he made scrubs looks presentable and look better than they were at times.  This is a case where numbers can lie.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Andrew will never blame the o-line. Andrew was always team first and putting blame on himself. Just go watch the Saints game in 2016. Nothing about that game was Andrew having time to throw.

LOL. I knew you would discount Luck's own words lol... 

I think when you discounts grading systems based on stats that are implemented to all teams, discount pure/simple stats like time to throw, and then even discount someone's own words, well.... you might be biased on the topic. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

LOL. I knew you would discount Luck's own words lol... 

I think when you discounts grading systems based on stats that are implemented to all teams, discount pure/simple stats like time to throw, and then even discount someone's own words, well.... you might be biased on the topic. 

Biased? No. I grade what my eyes showed me not some dumb grading system. This is why I hate stats. They never tell the whole story. Andrew went through punishment and won to the point he took the worst constructed team ever to make a championship game and yet we criticize him to the point we're actually debating rather or not his oline was actually good :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Biased? No. I grade what my eyes showed me not some dumb grading system. This is why I hate stats. They never tell the whole story. Andrew went through punishment and won to the point he took the worst constructed team ever to make a championship game and yet we criticize him to the point we're actually debating rather or not his oline was actually good :facepalm:

Don't put words in my mouth. I've never said Luck's OL was "good". I used the word "average" for 14 and 15, and I said they were not the "worst", which was the hyperbole that started this conversation. 

Sorry, but did your eye test compare Luck's play to all QBs, or were you only really watching the Colts. Did your eye test tell you that in 2016 that Luck held onto the ball near longest in the league (very clear and simple stat), which he in his own words admitted. 

And there have been numerous mentions by the coaching staff and articles written at that time on topic. Luck talked about it several times.

Here's more of his words before the 2016 even started.

“It’s a part of what you can do as a quarterback to limit hits,” Luck said. “Situational awareness and getting rid of the ball quicker. That falls under understanding the playbook.”

Here's what his QB coach had to say before the 2016 started.

The Colts would like Luck to get the ball out of his hands more quickly.

“It’s something you don’t want to overcoach,” Colts quarterback coach Brian Schottenheimer said. “As you go through your progressions, the faster you can eliminate things, [the better]. I think that’s the key, the word elimination. If I come off and I’m taking my drop and look and I know that route is not good -- we’re going to give him three or four options -- you can’t hang on to that option too long. I think that’s the skill set you learn as time goes on -- the ability to eliminate one option and move on to the next.

Here's what his OC said

“Those are all things we talk to him about on a daily basis, and really working on the passing game and the timing of the passing game and understanding how critical it is,” Chudzinski said. “It’s not just for Andrew, but for everybody involved. Getting open and being on time, getting the ball out, getting through progressions and not hanging on to [the ball]. There will be times where Andrew has a special ability to keep plays alive. It’s that fine line. You don’t want to take that away from him, but at the same time, he has to protect himself, protect us and work on those plays as well."

Anyway, there's plenty out there. It's not some conspiracy lol... Luck himself, OC, QB coach, HC, stats, grades, etc.,,, 

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I've never said Luck's OL was "good". I used the word "average" for 14 and 15, and I said they were not the "worst", which was the hyperbole that started this conversation. 

Sorry, but did your eye test compare Luck's play to all QBs, or were you only really watching the Colts. Did your eye test tell you that in 2016 that Luck held onto the ball near longest in the league (very clear and simple stat), which he in his own words admitted. 

And there have been numerous mentions by the coaching staff and articles written at that time on topic. Luck talked about it several times.

Here's more of his words before the 2016 even started.

“It’s a part of what you can do as a quarterback to limit hits,” Luck said. “Situational awareness and getting rid of the ball quicker. That falls under understanding the playbook.”

Here's what his QB coach had to say before the 2016 started.

The Colts would like Luck to get the ball out of his hands more quickly.

“It’s something you don’t want to overcoach,” Colts quarterback coach Brian Schottenheimer said. “As you go through your progressions, the faster you can eliminate things, [the better]. I think that’s the key, the word elimination. If I come off and I’m taking my drop and look and I know that route is not good -- we’re going to give him three or four options -- you can’t hang on to that option too long. I think that’s the skill set you learn as time goes on -- the ability to eliminate one option and move on to the next.

Here's what his OC said

“Those are all things we talk to him about on a daily basis, and really working on the passing game and the timing of the passing game and understanding how critical it is,” Chudzinski said. “It’s not just for Andrew, but for everybody involved. Getting open and being on time, getting the ball out, getting through progressions and not hanging on to [the ball]. There will be times where Andrew has a special ability to keep plays alive. It’s that fine line. You don’t want to take that away from him, but at the same time, he has to protect himself, protect us and work on those plays as well."

Anyway, there's plenty out there. It's not some conspiracy lol... Luck himself, OC, QB coach, HC, stats, grades, etc.,,, 

So your argument that coaches said he held the ball for 2016? How about 2012-15? Was that his fault too?

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So your argument that coaches held the ball for 2016? How about 2012-15? Was that his fault too?

Huh?

Anyway, I've provided stats, grades, Luck's own words, his OC's words, and his QBC's words. There are all kinds of articles on the topic if you do a simple search. But nothing provided will change your eye test opinion lol. You've provided nothing, so I'm not going to make the effort to provide more, as it simply won't matter. I've made my point. 

Archived