Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Foles ?

Assuming Nick's contract is workable, I will take Nick Foles over James Morgan as a backup QB. We don't want to wear out Ryan's arm in training camp, and we want to give our WR a workout to sort out the WR and DB. Both Ryan and Foles are confident and mature vets so there should be no insecurity issues. 

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Assuming Nick's contract is workable, I will take Nick Foles over James Morgan as a backup QB. We don't want to wear out Ryan's arm in training camp, and we want to give our WR a workout to sort out the WR and DB. Both Ryan and Foles are confident and mature vets so there should be no insecurity issues. 

I think backup quarterback may be a position the team is willing to wait until mid-June before they decide on a player like Foles.  

They want to give Ehlinger (and perhaps Morgan too) a fair shot at being the backup.   If they don’t show enough then, perhaps they sign Foles at that point.  

For what it’s worth, in the last day or so Frank said the team was not in a hurry to make that type of decision on a backup QB just yet. 

12 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I don’t think it’s will they take him over James Morgan it’s will they take him over Sam who they really like?  I don’t think they will unless Sam shows them he hasn’t made the progress they had hoped during the off-season.

After the Christian ( don't recall the whole name of the event) gathering that was had a few weeks back where Foles received an honor i think it is very likely Foles comes here IMHO. Reich talked him up and he talked highly of Frank so i can see it happening I started to mention this when i read about that event.  

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

Not many are doubting Matt Ryan.  But to act like there is no way he is getting injured because he has been fortunate up until now is being naïve.  It can happen anytime.  And we better prepare for it or the season could be lost. Right now there is no backup quarterback on the roster who has shown they can win in this league.  That is very concerning.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not many are doubting Matt Ryan.  But to act like there is no way he is getting injured because he has been fortunate up until now is being naïve.  It can happen anytime.  And we better prepare for it or the season could be lost. Right now there is no backup quarterback on the roster who has shown they can win in this league.  That is very concerning.

In Reality if Matt Ryan does get injured than the season is over anyway as far as winning the SB so what is the point.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

While he didn’t miss a game it’s worth remembering Rivers did in fact injury his foot late in the season here and it did impact him the rest of the season.  Sometimes things just happen even to iron men.  With that said I am not sold on Foles.  Outside of two stints with the Eagles he’s been pretty bad anywhere else he’s played.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In Reality if Matt Ryan does get injured than the season is over anyway as far as winning the SB so what is the point.

Worth remembering not every injury is season ending.  Say Ryan got hurt in away similar to Wentz last year in the Rams game where he couldn’t finish a game but would be available the following week.  How much of a difference to the Colts season would it had made had they had a QB who wasn’t Eason and could have come in and lead one drive and the Colts pulled that game out?  The Colts make the playoffs in that scenario.  So a good back up does have value and can save your season depending on what type of injury your starting QB were to suffer.

The fact that they had Ehlinger (a rookie) as the backup to Wentz last year shows the playbook……Wentz has injury history and they still didn’t sign a Veteran backup then so what makes everyone certain they will now?

Morgan has arm talent

Ehlinger has the ‘it’ factor

Coan has arm talent and the ‘it’ factor

I think Coan sticks and makes Ehlinger obsolete 

Much like Ehlinger made Eason obsolete last year…..

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

The fact that they had Ehlinger (a rookie) as the backup to Wentz last year shows the playbook……Wentz has injury history and they still didn’t sign a Veteran backup then so what makes everyone certain they will now?

Morgan has arm talent

Ehlinger has the ‘it’ factor

Coan has arm talent and the ‘it’ factor

I think Coan sticks and makes Ehlinger obsolete 

Much like Ehlinger made Eason obsolete last year…..

If Coan truly had the arm talent and the “it” factor he woundnt have gone undrafted.  He would have been one of the top picks in the draft in that case.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth remembering not every injury is season ending.  Say Ryan got hurt in away similar to Wentz last year in the Rams game where he couldn’t finish a game but would be available the following week.  How much of a difference to the Colts season would it had made had they had a QB who wasn’t Eason and could have come in and lead one drive and the Colts pulled that game out?  The Colts make the playoffs in that scenario.  So a good back up does have value and can save your season depending on what type of injury your starting QB were to suffer.

Baker Mayfield :peek:

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Been pretty spot on about QB the last few years, so I am probably due to get it wrong.

But there is a huge gap between doubting Matt Ryan can still play and doubting that Matt Ryan leads this team deep into the playoffs. I don't doubt that he can still be a middle of the pack QB.

I just have tempered expectations, based on what we have seen in recent years. 

Archived