Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

Assuming Nick's contract is workable, I will take Nick Foles over James Morgan as a backup QB. We don't want to wear out Ryan's arm in training camp, and we want to give our WR a workout to sort out the WR and DB. Both Ryan and Foles are confident and mature vets so there should be no insecurity issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Assuming Nick's contract is workable, I will take Nick Foles over James Morgan as a backup QB. We don't want to wear out Ryan's arm in training camp, and we want to give our WR a workout to sort out the WR and DB. Both Ryan and Foles are confident and mature vets so there should be no insecurity issues. 


I think backup quarterback may be a position the team is willing to wait until mid-June before they decide on a player like Foles.  
 

They want to give Ehlinger (and perhaps Morgan too) a fair shot at being the backup.   If they don’t show enough then, perhaps they sign Foles at that point.  
 

For what it’s worth, in the last day or so Frank said the team was not in a hurry to make that type of decision on a backup QB just yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Assuming Nick's contract is workable, I will take Nick Foles over James Morgan as a backup QB. We don't want to wear out Ryan's arm in training camp, and we want to give our WR a workout to sort out the WR and DB. Both Ryan and Foles are confident and mature vets so there should be no insecurity issues. 

I don’t think it’s will they take him over James Morgan it’s will they take him over Sam who they really like?  I don’t think they will unless Sam shows them he hasn’t made the progress they had hoped during the off-season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the Christian ( don't recall the whole name of the event) gathering that was had a few weeks back where Foles received an honor i think it is very likely Foles comes here IMHO. Reich talked him up and he talked highly of Frank so i can see it happening I started to mention this when i read about that event.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morgan has a BIG arm much like Eason, was a higher draft pick then Sam and only 1 year prior. Think it will be close between those 2. Coan has an uphill battle vs those 2 but has a shot. Dont think Foles is in the cards unless ALL 3 struggle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

Not many are doubting Matt Ryan.  But to act like there is no way he is getting injured because he has been fortunate up until now is being naïve.  It can happen anytime.  And we better prepare for it or the season could be lost. Right now there is no backup quarterback on the roster who has shown they can win in this league.  That is very concerning.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not many are doubting Matt Ryan.  But to act like there is no way he is getting injured because he has been fortunate up until now is being naïve.  It can happen anytime.  And we better prepare for it or the season could be lost. Right now there is no backup quarterback on the roster who has shown they can win in this league.  That is very concerning.

In Reality if Matt Ryan does get injured than the season is over anyway as far as winning the SB so what is the point.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

While he didn’t miss a game it’s worth remembering Rivers did in fact injury his foot late in the season here and it did impact him the rest of the season.  Sometimes things just happen even to iron men.  With that said I am not sold on Foles.  Outside of two stints with the Eagles he’s been pretty bad anywhere else he’s played.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In Reality if Matt Ryan does get injured than the season is over anyway as far as winning the SB so what is the point.

Worth remembering not every injury is season ending.  Say Ryan got hurt in away similar to Wentz last year in the Rams game where he couldn’t finish a game but would be available the following week.  How much of a difference to the Colts season would it had made had they had a QB who wasn’t Eason and could have come in and lead one drive and the Colts pulled that game out?  The Colts make the playoffs in that scenario.  So a good back up does have value and can save your season depending on what type of injury your starting QB were to suffer.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact that they had Ehlinger (a rookie) as the backup to Wentz last year shows the playbook……Wentz has injury history and they still didn’t sign a Veteran backup then so what makes everyone certain they will now?

 

Morgan has arm talent

 

Ehlinger has the ‘it’ factor

 

Coan has arm talent and the ‘it’ factor

 

I think Coan sticks and makes Ehlinger obsolete 

 

Much like Ehlinger made Eason obsolete last year…..

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

The fact that they had Ehlinger (a rookie) as the backup to Wentz last year shows the playbook……Wentz has injury history and they still didn’t sign a Veteran backup then so what makes everyone certain they will now?

 

Morgan has arm talent

 

Ehlinger has the ‘it’ factor

 

Coan has arm talent and the ‘it’ factor

 

I think Coan sticks and makes Ehlinger obsolete 

 

Much like Ehlinger made Eason obsolete last year…..

If Coan truly had the arm talent and the “it” factor he woundnt have gone undrafted.  He would have been one of the top picks in the draft in that case.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth remembering not every injury is season ending.  Say Ryan got hurt in away similar to Wentz last year in the Rams game where he couldn’t finish a game but would be available the following week.  How much of a difference to the Colts season would it had made had they had a QB who wasn’t Eason and could have come in and lead one drive and the Colts pulled that game out?  The Colts make the playoffs in that scenario.  So a good back up does have value and can save your season depending on what type of injury your starting QB were to suffer.

Baker Mayfield :peek:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

And there is the jinx. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan doesn't get injured, he is like Rivers. No thanks. Everyone doubting Matt Ryan will look foolish and I can't wait. Division Champs baby!

 

Been pretty spot on about QB the last few years, so I am probably due to get it wrong.

 

But there is a huge gap between doubting Matt Ryan can still play and doubting that Matt Ryan leads this team deep into the playoffs. I don't doubt that he can still be a middle of the pack QB.

 

I just have tempered expectations, based on what we have seen in recent years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was very much against our signing Wentz and vowed to turn a blind eye to the Colts last season… I think it lasted maybe 4 weeks lol. Not only did I watch the games, I also watched Hard Knocks.  I learned that I’m all talk, I can’t back it up. I’ll bleed blue forever. Go Colts! 
    • Brooks will need a year or two.  He's got a tweener type frame. He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options. IMO, he'll end up a PS guy. Johnson could end up on the PS too.    Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.
    • Agree in general. But a lot of reviews have called out his slender bottom half. I watched some of his film, and he really struggled at times, even with LBs. 
    • Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts by Jaleel Grandberry   Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft. The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann. While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft. In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati. Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling. Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays. In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests. Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans. Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling   Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class) Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best) Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best) True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best) True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best) Run Defense grade: 69.9
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...