Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great Read About Colts WR’s & Size

bWild

To put that in easier terms to understand, this is our TE and WR Rooms by Height for this year, which should be bigger than last years averages:

Jelani Woods - 6'7" & 253

Michael Jacobson - 6'7" & 244

Mo Alie-Cox - 6'5" & 260

Andrew Ogletree - 6'5" & 260

Nikola Kalinic - 6'4" & 245

Kylen Granson - 6'2" & 241

Michael Strachan - 6'5" & 226

Dezmon Patmon - 6'4" & 225

Michael Pittman - 6'4" & 223

Alec Pierce - 6'3" & 211

Ashton Dulin - 6'1" & 215

Parris Campbell - 6'0" & 205

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

To put that in easier terms to understand, this is our TE and WR Rooms by Height for this year, which should be bigger than last years averages:

Jelani Woods - 6'7" & 253

Michael Jacobson - 6'7" & 244

Mo Alie-Cox - 6'5" & 260

Andrew Ogletree - 6'5" & 260

Nikola Kalinic - 6'4" & 245

Kylen Granson - 6'2" & 241

Michael Strachan - 6'5" & 226

Dezmon Patmon - 6'4" & 225

Michael Pittman - 6'4" & 223

Alec Pierce - 6'3" & 211

Ashton Dulin - 6'1" & 215

Parris Campbell - 6'0" & 205

I think Carson could still overthrow them.

Too soon?

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No he's not. He's a #2 on virtually every team in the NFL. We really don't need a #1 per say. We just needs some field stretchers as wr's and good TE play.

Wrs need consistent  qb play to become number 1 unless they are athletic  freaks

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

Yeah but not everyone is elated about that.

Yeah, it would be nice if Pittman was the 2nd best WR on the team.  I think he can be another Mike Evans, but I don’t really know if Evans or Godwyn is the true #1 in TB. 

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wrs need consistent  qb play to become number 1 unless they are athletic  freaks

Pittman is a good wr. My point is this. Even with consistent play, I really don't think defensive coordinators come to Indy with the main purpose of shutting down Pittman. We are hoping that guy will either be Pearce or Woods as they have the traits to give defences fits. Taylor is that guy right now

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Pittman is a good wr. My point is this. Even with consistent play, I really don't think defensive coordinators come to Indy with the main purpose of shutting down Pittman. We are hoping that guy will either be Pearce or Woods as they have the traits to give defences fits. Taylor is that guy right now

That was 2021.    The offense is trying to evolve in ‘22.    That’s why we added Pierce  and Woods.   It’s why we’ve publicly said we want more from Hines.    It’s why we hope to give more opportunity to Campbell, Dulin,  Patmon and Strachan.   

We really are trying to expand and evolve our offense.   I wouldn’t say reinvent,  but make us more multi-dimensional and harder to defend.   We don’t want Taylor facing 7 and 8 in the box.   

‘22 should be better than ‘21.   Hopefully much better. 

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was 2021.    The offense is trying to evolve in ‘22.    That’s why we added Pierce  and Woods.   It’s why we’ve publicly said we want more from Hines.    It’s why we hope to give more opportunity to Campbell, Dulin,  Patmon and Strachan.   

We really are trying to expand and evolve our offense.   I wouldn’t say reinvent,  but make us more multi-dimensional and harder to defend.   We don’t want Taylor facing 7 and 8 in the box.   

We added athletes with every draft pick, usually the top ras left in the draft with the thought we could coach them up. I don't mind swinging for the fences with guys who have shown productivity at the college level. Pierce is a game changer for the WR room, he propelled Cinn into the playoffs which for a non Power 5 was unheard of. Woods excelled in the ACC and has size and speed you can not coach. Matty Ice has weapons he hasnt had in a longgg time.   

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not trying to pick on you, but trying to understand your sentiment that Reich is trying to evolve the offense. Has he said anything specifically (I could have certainly missed it)?

Overall, our picks and statement don't really suggest "evolution" to me, but simply more about filling holes and general improvement. WR was considered our top need, or at minimum one of our top needs in the draft, so the AP pick was not something that screams a departure from the norm. At TE, we lost our long time starter, so no shocker there. 

As far as Hines is concern, sure we need more touches for him, as he's one of our best weapons. But our passing targets to RBs didn't really go down, just shifted to JT. Evolution to me would be a "change" of some sort, meaning either more two back sets, or Hines actually lining up as a WR. 

In terms of JT and facing loaded boxes, that really didn't happen last season. While teams certainly didn't respect us deep, they simply cheated their DBs up, not really "loaded the box". JT was actually ranked pretty low in terms of average number of defenders in the box (6.1, #50), and stacked front carry rate/rank (13.3%, #27). Just for comparison sake, Henry saw a stacked front 24.2%, and ranked #4. So while I don't agree with the stacked front narrative here, I do agree opposing DBs cheated up way too much, and that needs to stop. And the only way to do that is to pass more to 2nd and 3rd levels. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

With tis supposed elite Oline....cough...cough and a star running back, the Colts need Pearce to put some fear into the defence. This will force the safety back and allow Pittman to run his favorite  slants and hopefully one of the tight ends will develop to exploit the middle. Simple really.

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not trying to pick on you, but trying to understand your sentiment that Reich is trying to evolve the offense. Has he said anything specifically (I could have certainly missed it)?

Overall, our picks and statement don't really suggest "evolution" to me, but simply more about filling holes and general improvement. WR was considered our top need, or at minimum one of our top needs in the draft, so the AP pick was not something that screams a departure from the norm. At TE, we lost our long time starter, so no shocker there. 

As far as Hines is concern, sure we need more touches for him, as he's one of our best weapons. But our passing targets to RBs didn't really go down, just shifted to JT. Evolution to me would be a "change" of some sort, meaning either more two back sets, or Hines actually lining up as a WR. 

In terms of JT and facing loaded boxes, that really didn't happen last season. While teams certainly didn't respect us deep, they simply cheated their DBs up, not really "loaded the box". JT was actually ranked pretty low in terms of average number of defenders in the box (6.1, #50), and stacked front carry rate/rank (13.3%, #27). Just for comparison sake, Henry saw a stacked front 24.2%, and ranked #4. So while I don't agree with the stacked front narrative here, I do agree opposing DBs cheated up way too much, and that needs to stop. And the only way to do that is to pass more to 2nd and 3rd levels. 

I appreciate your post…..    and it’s not so much what Reich has said, but what Ballard has shared.    He said it in his year end review and he’s repeated it in his off-season interviews….  

Ballard wrote himself a message on his white board….  A reminder….   That this off-season the number one offensive goal was to become more explosive.   Will it all happen all at once in 22?   I doubt it.  But the first steps were taken with all our off-season moves.  

Will we be more explosive this year?   Not sure.   But I hope the offense is more efficient, more options, less predictable.   If we can keep drives alive and force defenses to not load the box against Taylor we should have the makings of a top-10 offense.   

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

With tis supposed elite Oline....cough...cough and a star running back, the Colts need Pearce to put some fear into the defence. This will force the safety back and allow Pittman to run his favorite  slants and hopefully one of the tight ends will develop to exploit the middle. Simple really.

Hmmm….   For the third time now, you make reference to our “supposed elite offensive line”.    The line was elite in 18 and 19 and 20.  That’s three consecutive years. 

And the only reason why it wasn’t elite in 21 is that 4 of our 5 starting OL were hurt.   All but Glowinski.   Worse, you know this because I’ve reminded you of this each time.  And yet, you persist….    Not sure why, but you do. 

Are you expecting a losing season?    Cough, cough. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmm….   For the third time now, you make reference to our “supposed elite offensive line”.    The line was elite in 18 and 19 and 20.  That’s three consecutive years. 

And the only reason why it wasn’t elite in 21 is that 4 of our 5 starting OL were hurt.   All but Glowinski.   Worse, you know this because I’ve reminded you of this each time.  And yet, you persist….    Not sure why, but you do. 

Nope superbowl.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate your post…..    and it’s not so much what Reich has said, but what Ballard has shared.    He said it in his year end review and he’s repeated it in his off-season interviews….  

Ballard wrote himself a message on his white board….  A reminder….   That this off-season the number one offensive goal was to become more explosive.   Will it all happen all at once in 22?   I doubt it.  But the first steps were taken with all our off-season moves.  

Will we be more explosive this year?   Not sure.   But I hope the offense is more efficient, more options, less predictable.   If we can keep drives alive and force defenses to not load the box against Taylor we should have the makings of a top-10 offense.   

Thanks. Wasn't sure if I missed something from Reich lately. I've tried to take a bit of a break from FB. I'm aware of Ballard's comments, and I don't mean to minimize them, but it just seems like the obvious thing to say given our O the past 3 seasons. 

I really like Ryan, and our additions, but IMO true evolution has to come from Reich (game plan, play calling, situational personnel use, etc.). Ryan will be better for Reich's short perimeter passing game, but so was Rivers. Thought we'd see more level 2 and 3 shots with Wentz, and more seam throwing with Wentz, but seemed like the same stuff we saw from play calling with Rivers. 

Not sure what to expect this season, and I hope you're right. I think this will be a huge season from Frank, 5th QB or not. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup. Our OL was still very good run blocking. And Glow was also banged up a bit, although for a short duration. 

I think the biggest factor (pass pro) was simply Fisher never becoming the guy we thought he might later in the season. He was always suspect in pass pro, but he was just really bad at times this season. Call it age, call in injury, whatever, but not being able to trust your blind side OT has substantial impact to the passing game. 

Not saying Pryor will be a stud, but he did work very well laterally when inserted at LT. Zero sacks and pressures went way down IIRC. So even if not a stud, at minimum solid, or better than last season. Just hoping Pryor and Pinter (assuming he gets the nod at RG) can grade in the 70s and keep sacks/pressures low. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks. Wasn't sure if I missed something from Reich lately. I've tried to take a bit of a break from FB. I'm aware of Ballard's comments, and I don't mean to minimize them, but it just seems like the obvious thing to say given our O the past 3 seasons. 

I really like Ryan, and our additions, but IMO true evolution has to come from Reich (game plan, play calling, situational personnel use, etc.). Ryan will be better for Reich's short perimeter passing game, but so was Rivers. Thought we'd see more level 2 and 3 shots with Wentz, and more seam throwing with Wentz, but seemed like the same stuff we saw from play calling with Rivers. 

Not sure what to expect this season, and I hope you're right. I think this will be a huge season from Frank, 5th QB or not. 

To continue….  In my recent readings it appears the Colts position is this…,  that the defenses we faced the last four games were different than what we saw most of the first 13.    That Taylor was less effective.   That we couldn’t just run back the 21 season in 22 and hope for the same.   That we had to get more weapons.   Of course, how Frank uses them is another story.   So while the season long stats you cited say one thing, the last four games tell a much different story.  This appears to be the focus of much of our thinking this off-season.  We have to find new ways to win…. 

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To continue….  In my recent readings it appears the Colts position is this…,  that the defenses we faced the last four games were different than what we saw most of the first 13.    That Taylor was less effective.   That we couldn’t just run back the 21 season in 22 and hope for the same.   That we had to get more weapons.   Of course, how Frank uses them is another story.   So while the season long stats you cited say one thing, the last four games tell a much different story.  This appears to be the focus of much of our thinking this off-season.  We have to find new ways to win…. 

Not sure I understand. Taylor had 100+ in 3 of the last 4 games. And except for Jax, we ran for more than the opposing Ds average rushing yards allowed per game. We crushed NE's average rush yards allowed and won. We beat AZ and did it on the road. LVR came down to simply not being able to stop them late. Wentz wasn't great, but he wasn't bad (1 TD, no INTs), and JT had 100+. Jax was a total team sheet show meltdown. OL and DL were both incredibly bad, so not really shocked with the outcome. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure I understand. Taylor had 100+ in 3 of the last 4 games. And except for Jax, we ran for more than the opposing Ds average rushing yards allowed per game. We crushed NE's average rush yards allowed and won. We beat AZ and did it on the road. LVR came down to simply not being able to stop them late. Wentz wasn't great, but he wasn't bad (1 TD, no INTs), and JT had 100+. Jax was a total team sheet show meltdown. OL and DL were both incredibly bad, so not really shocked with the outcome. 

Well…. For example….  Against the Pats, we chose to run Taylor into a loaded box instead of pass.   Taylor was able to pop free and go for roughly 70 yards.   But take that run away, our run game that day was pedestrian at best.   Our other TD was on special Teams.   Our offense was bogging down.   Taylor was less effective against Las Vegas and J’Ville.   The formula against us was clear and we couldn’t count on things being the same this year.  

We threw for an average of 30 plays a game with Wentz.   I think that’s 5-6 a game less than ideal.   I think Ryan is easily capable of completing a higher percentage of passes.   If you throw more and complete a higher cent age, that’s roughly 5 more completions a game.   A more efficient offense.  

I think the numbers for Wentz were roughly 19 of 30 per game.   I think the numbers for Ryan might look something like 24 of 36.  We’d still be running the ball 26-30 times a game.   Taylor and Hines can still be effective.  

The pieces are there.  Now can Frank mix up a winning recipe?   I certainly hope so…. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well…. For example….  Against the Pats, we chose to run Taylor into a loaded box instead of pass.   Taylor was able to pop free and go for roughly 70 yards.   But take that run away, our run game that day was pedestrian at best.   Our other TD was on special Teams.   Our offense was bogging down.   Taylor was less effective against Las Vegas and J’Ville.   The formula against us was clear and we couldn’t count on things being the same this year.  

We threw for an average of 30 plays a game with Wentz.   I think that’s 5-6 a game less than ideal.   I think Ryan is easily capable of completing a higher percentage of passes.   If you throw more and complete a higher cent age, that’s roughly 5 more completions a game.   A more efficient offense.  

I think the numbers for Wentz were roughly 19 of 30 per game.   I think the numbers for Ryan might look something like 24 of 36.  We’d still be running the ball 26-30 times a game.   Taylor and Hines can still be effective.  

The pieces are there.  Now can Frank mix up a winning recipe?   I certainly hope so…. 

JT had a bunch of long runs last year, so you really can't pick and choose which games you want to remove the longest run. If you remove that 67 yarder, he still had 103. The average per rush for sure decreases, but again, that's not how it works. Our issue vs NE is that they have one of the best pass Ds in the league. And they didn't respect us beyond 10-15 yards. So let a DB group that is already tops in the league, cheat up, and that only makes throwing 0-15 yards harder. 

But the way the game started, Wentz hitting a layup TD pass to Hines, EJ's ST's TD, etc., we ended up with a 20-0 lead. Then we went total conservative bully ball. That shocked no one, especially BB. The plan was to pound the rock from that point, and we did. 

Archived