Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive OT Shon Coleman, LB Malik Jefferson, and TEs Farrod Green and Eli Wolf

EastStreet

Released/Waived

• Swing T Shon Coleman - should shock anyone given we signed Kelly
    • Kelly is a great vet swing option. Older, but pretty solid
  • LB Malik Jefferson - little surprised here. Thought he might complete for SAM role in the new scheme. Not sure who gets the nod if Bradley uses the hybrid position this season. 
  • TE Farrod Green and Eli Wolk - Not shocked, but thought Green would last longer. 
    • Indy still has basketball convert (Jacobson) and CFLer (Kalinic) on the roster. We love our basketball converts lol. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Kelly for Coleman

Woods and Algetree for Green and Wolf

King for Jefferson

I can agree with your first two ins/outs.

King though is likely solely limited to STs. I think MJ had some actual defense upside. 

I'd say Skalski is the reason for MJ's departure, that along with Domann. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I think Jefferson was a backup WILL. But King will definitely take his spot on STs.

Speed is/was the backup to Leonard at WILL, Domann and Weatherford both can play that role as well, makes sense to cut Jefferson and give the younger guys a shot to earn a roster spot. Although LB usage under Bradley could deviate substantially from the usage under Flus. Expecting more Nickel and Dime, less PT for LBs in general - which means we might only see 5 make the roster, 6 max. 

8 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Speed is/was the backup to Leonard at WILL, Domann and Weatherford both can play that role as well, makes sense to cut Jefferson and give the younger guys a shot to earn a roster spot. Although LB usage under Bradley could deviate substantially from the usage under Flus. Expecting more Nickel and Dime, less PT for LBs in general - which means we might only see 5 make the roster, 6 max. 

Yeah...Jefferson was the WILL3 if such a thing exists. Just from a roster standpoint, I don't really see King replacing Jefferson, but becoming that MIKE3 who plays STs.

The Coleman cutting for Kelly is easy. But we still have Raimann, Van Demark, Kemp and Murray battling for 1 or 2 spots realistically assuming Fries and Pinter are the interior lineman. 

With Jo Jo Domann and Sterling Weatherford onboard then that made Jefferson's back-up role and special teams role null and void. Both offer upside as being in that Kam Chancellor hybrid SS/LB role as they played pretty similar roles for Nebraska and Miami (Ohio), respectfully. And of course, they are cheaper than Vet minimum.....this also could put Glasnow on the roster bubble as he doesn't contribute to the defense either just like King. Leonard, Okereke, Franklin and Speed are the only likely surefire roster candidates right now. Lots of competition this year for the two backup spots.

With the drafting of Woods and Ogletree as athletic Y type TE's then that made both Green and Wolf expendable really quick. I doubt that Jacobson poses a threat to keeping either off of the 53 man and the Canadian dude I believe is more of an H-Back/FB type so he is likely here to see if he can be a move TE like Granson. Though based off of the profiles of our two draftees they can flank out and still be a mismatch based off of the size/speed combo.

3 hours ago, PureLuck said:

Eberflus didn't exactly play a 4-3 defense the majority of the time.  We'll mostly use 2 LB and maybe a hybrid this year....

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The Coleman cutting for Kelly is easy. But we still have Raimann, Van Demark, Kemp and Murray battling for 1 or 2 spots realistically assuming Fries and Pinter are the interior lineman. 

With Jo Jo Domann and Sterling Weatherford onboard then that made Jefferson's back-up role and special teams role null and void. Both offer upside as being in that Kam Chancellor hybrid SS/LB role as they played pretty similar roles for Nebraska and Miami (Ohio), respectfully. And of course, they are cheaper than Vet minimum.....this also could put Glasnow on the roster bubble as he doesn't contribute to the defense either just like King. Leonard, Okereke, Franklin and Speed are the only likely surefire roster candidates right now. Lots of competition this year for the two backup spots.

With the drafting of Woods and Ogletree as athletic Y type TE's then that made both Green and Wolf expendable really quick. I doubt that Jacobson poses a threat to keeping either off of the 53 man and the Canadian dude I believe is more of an H-Back/FB type so he is likely here to see if he can be a move TE like Granson. Though based off of the profiles of our two draftees they can flank out and still be a mismatch based off of the size/speed combo.

I dont think Rain Man will be battling for the final O line spot, think he is more likely to be battling Pryor for the starting LT position. Agree Glasgow is in trouble, think Domann and Skalski could be battling for the final LB spot. I expect some udfa rookie will play very well and get cut and we will all wonder why (Like Kafausi last season).

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm guessing Jacobson (basketball) will end up on the PS for development. Have know clue about the CFLer (Kalinic), but I don't see him making the 53 either. Should be MAC and Woods as our 2 traditional TEs, and Granson as the hybrid TE/HB/slot. I think it's an important year for him. Need a big step forward from him. I really don't care for keeping 4 TEs, but could see Ogletree being kept and if not, a PS slot. 

LB comments below.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I dont think Rain Man will be battling for the final O line spot, think he is more likely to be battling Pryor for the starting LT position. Agree Glasgow is in trouble, think Domann and Skalski could be battling for the final LB spot. I expect some udfa rookie will play very well and get cut and we will all wonder why (Like Kafausi last season).

Yup, Rainmann is a lock for the roster. Not sure he'll be battling Pryor though for starting LT. At least not 1st half of the season. IMO, the only starting position up for grabs right now is RG, but I'm penciling Pinter in there. If I'm honest, I'd rather see him as starting C. 

At LB, I think Domann could make some noise. With the new scheme and DC, the only LB lock as starter I can see is Leonard. Oke and Franklin will certainly make the roster, but those are the only 3 I see as sure things. Given Bradley's DL is more of a gap rush than read react, I think we might see run D have a higher value at MIKE. Have no clue what we might see at SAM. I know at times he used SAM as a hybrid SAM/LEO type to rush. Both positions might get bigger?

Agree with both of you. Glasgow is fighting on the bubble likely. 

16 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I picture Raimann as RG, not LT. most reports list him as mauler and not quick enough to play LT.   I’d give him a shot to replace Glow, and keep Pinter as swing guard/center.

7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I picture Raimann as RG, not LT. most reports list him as mauler and not quick enough to play LT.   I’d give him a shot to replace Glow, and keep Pinter as swing guard/center.

Most reports I have read are saying the exact opposite honestly, very quick former TE who lacks the weight currently to be a power mauler type.

7 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Same feeling here @EastStreet, i thought Green and Jefferson would at least make it to camp

Yup. Oh well. I was never ever high on Green or anything. IMO, they simply must feel confident of the ones that will stick on the 53, and are willing to go with upside/development of a guy or two on the PS (like the basketball and perhaps the CFL guy). 

I think they also must really like Domann at LB, and maybe a guy like Skalski. Gonna be interesting to see how the new scheme views all the LBs outside of DL. 

Archived