Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Dennis Kelly

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Fries can indeed step up and perform, that helps immensely. The backup C is Pinter, I presume, and his having to shift from RG should Kelly get injured once again (history says he’ll miss a few games) leaves a big hole. I do see another vet being brought in to compete for a backup C/G slot, but if Fries can play effectively, the O line is in a much better place right now. 

6 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes the UDFA are 

There was A lot of stuff with Ben and Eberflus. When Ballard drafted him he envisioned him in that LEO role Bradley uses. Eberflus Did not know how to use him or how to create a good pass rush. That should change with Bradley.

Amazing that a guy just got hired as a HC and couldn't figure out how to utilize a player for multiple years, but you, like many of us on here knew all along!

8 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Kelly is a really, really solid vet. People probably don't realize how great a depth signing this is.

He has basically been a top-35 OT (if you give any credence to PFF, which is really the best numerical data available other than eye test) 3 of the last 4 years.

He is good enough to be a starter, so getting him to play the role of swing tackle is insanely good. 

This already means our Tackle depth this year is better than last year. 

So while we may be slightly less deep at interior OL currently, our OT depth is very solid.

IMHO the best possible scenario for us is Pryor playing well, but Raimann taking over sooner rather than later.

If Raimann starts by mid season and Pryor and Kelly and Fries are adding depth across the O-line then we are very, very solid. 

I concur, I believe he can move inside as well...

Coleman has a great story beating Leukemia , hope he latches on somewhere and gets more games in the NFL. Always liked Jefferson Im sure he will end up on someone's squad playing ST at the least. Kelly is a very good singing could start if Pryor doesnt look as good as hoped and Rain Man doesnt progress enough but a swing Tackle minimum.  As of now those 3 along with Q ,Kelly,Pinter,Fries and Smith are the locks. Leave 1-2 spots for Van Denmark,Murray,O'Donnell,Kemp,Seltzner,French,Mollette.

Had a feeling Farrod Green days were limited, should be the 4 TE's mentioned above with Kalinic as possible TE/H Back keeper if he shows well. Jacobson will be stashed on PS most likely one more year unless injury hits.

Domann and Glasgow leading the 6 lb spot. Glasgow cant play base D so may be on the way out.

He played swing tackle for the Tennessee Titans - so I see him filling that role on our offensive line.

Additionally - he'll add another veteran presence to help teach the rookie tackle prospects.

I think it's a good addition to our roster.

Welcome Dennis Kelly to the Colts !!

13 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I guess they don’t trust the guy they drafted to be the backup tackle yet.

I wouldn't make that jump. 

Kelly played the swing T depth position last season for 1.3M.

Not sure how much we are paying him, but if anywhere close to 1.3M, he's simply a very smart addition and great value. 

Aging and not great, but he is very solid depth. Definitely a step up over the OT (Coleman) we cut.

7 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Amazing that a guy just got hired as a HC and couldn't figure out how to utilize a player for multiple years, but you, like many of us on here knew all along!

Really believe one of the hardest parts of Ben's journey with the Colts has been his transition away from college where he was primarily a 3-4 base OLB and now is a 4-3 base DE.  Kind of reminds me of the struggles we had with Jerry Hughes before we traded him and we know how much better Hughes was playing for the Bills in a 3-4 base.  Now Hughes looking for revenge twice a year after signing with the Texans.

22 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Really believe one of the hardest parts of Ben's journey with the Colts has been his transition away from college where he was primarily a 3-4 base OLB and now is a 4-3 base DE.  Kind of reminds me of the struggles we had with Jerry Hughes before we traded him and we know how much better Hughes was playing for the Bills in a 3-4 base.  Now Hughes looking for revenge twice a year after signing with the Texans.

Patterson's D at TCU was not a 3-4.

His base was a 4-2-5, but he'd play 3-3-4 at times. 

Banogu would at  times drop to play the DE/SAM hybrid roll (not a lot, and mostly on run downs), but most of the time in a 3-3-4, a safety would come up and play the 3rd LB position. So it wasn't the norm that he played off the line. And he was mostly one of the front 3 in the 3-3-4 lineups. 

In short, Banogu was more of a traditional 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB/Edge. Overall, Patterson's scheme was known for being simplified and trait based. Banogu mostly was hitting a gap hard, not in a read/react situation like he was in Flus's scheme. He also was not good rushing the outside. He was good slanting on the inside gap though, and flashed at times vs the run. IMO, the pick was always a reach. His NFL.com draft profile has been spot on. 

His SR year highlights are a good watch if you're interested in how he was used.

24 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

giphy.gif

Lol, Idk I'm just assuming it was good since the Colts typically don't offer an outrageous amount of $$ to FA 

Yes , I would agree with that. I was just wondering if you had seen it as I've been looking.

I would guess a 1 year deal for around 3 mill with most of it guaranteed.

Archived