Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rounding out free agency?

What should or do you forsee us doing to round our "all in" roster? What do we realistically have the means to do as far as signings? Do we just go depth from here on out or do we have the capacity for one more starting caliber vet WR or CB?

I'm admittedly not too versed on how NFL money works, so not sure how much we could stretch our remaining 13m(?).

Personally, I'd really love to add a final CB or WR, but I feel a 3-down back-up to JT is even more important. There are so many interesting names at WR,CB & RB out there; one more signing @ one of those positions would make me feel very good going into the season.

53 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Personally, I'd really love to add a final CB or WR, but I feel a 3-down back-up to JT is even more important. 

A backup to JT would be nice.  Miami just signed Sony Michel for $2.1m. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Just a few supplemental guys after final cuts maybe.  Maybe no one with 20+ UDFAs brought in....that's twice what we usually do

Geez... 20??!

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

Mike Davis, Devontae Booker are still out there. I'd really love either behind JT so Hines can still be Hines. With how run heavy we are, we need someone.

28 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Mike Davis, Devontae Booker are still out there. I'd really love either behind JT so Hines can still be Hines. With how run heavy we are, we need someone.

I would go with an undrafted RB.  This is the year where there are lots of UDFA's who would have been drafted in previous years.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I would go with an undrafted RB.  This is the year where there are lots of UDFA's who would have been drafted in previous years.  

That's a good point. Probably more diamonds in the rough to be found. We could use a bruiser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 07dleigh said:

That's a good point. Probably more diamonds in the rough to be found. We could use a bruiser.

Here are the undrafted RB's.   Most of them still available.

Running backs

Tyler Goodson, Iowa: Agreed to terms with the Green Bay Packers (Team)

Bam Knight, North Carolina State: Signed with the New York. Jets. (Team)

Kennedy Brooks, Oklahoma: Signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. (Team)

D'Vonte Price, Florida International

Raheem Blackshear, Virginia Tech

Master Teague III, Ohio State: Signed with the Chicago Bears. (Team)

Jerrion Ealy, Ole Miss: Signed with the Kansas City Chiefs (Team)

ZaQuandre White, South Carolina: Signing with the Miami Dolphins. (Tom Pelissero)

Abram Smith, Baylor: Agreed to terms with the New Orleans Saints. (Team)

Jashaun Corbin, Florida State

Ronnie Rivers, Fresno State: Agreed to terms with the Arizona Cardinals. (Team)

Greg Bell, San Diego State

TJ Pledger, Utah

Leddie Brown, West Virginia: Agreed to terms with L.A. Chargers. (Team)

Bryant Koback, Toledo: Agreed to terms with the Minnesota Vikings. (Team)

Max Borghi, Washington State

Malik Davis, Florida: Agreed to terms with the Dallas Cowboys. (Team)

Jeremiah Hall, Oklahoma: Signing with the New York Giants. (Tom Pelissero)

Sincere McCormick, Texas-San Antonio

CJ Verdell, Oregon

B.J. Baylor, Oregon State: Agreed to terms with the Green Bay Packers. (Team)

Mataeo Durant, Duke: Signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Tom Pelissero)

Marcus Williams, Louisiana Tech

Stephen Carr, Indiana

John Chenal, Wisconsin

Clint Ratkovich, Northern Illinois

Vavae Malepeai, USC

Charles Williams, UNLV

Cam'Ron Harris, Miami

Devin Wynn, Furman

Julius Chestnut, Sacred Heart

Jaylen Warren, Oklahoma State: Signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Tom Pelissero)

John Lovett, Penn State: Agreed to terms with the Carolina Panthers. (Team)

LD Brown, Oklahoma State

Kevin Marks Jr., Buffalo: Agreed to terms with the L.A. Chargers. (Team)

Shermari Jones, Coastal Carolina: Signing with the Cincinnati Bengals. (Tom Pelissero)

De'Montre Tuggle, Ohio

DeAndre Torrey, North Texas

Garrett Owens, Duquesne

Ezra Gray, Alabama State

Jah-Maine Martin, North Carolina A&T

Jace Jordan, West Georgia

I may be in a minority here, but I think we stand pat on offense

I could see us taking a swing at Bradberry or.......   drum roll.....  Clowney 

Either would help the team

Clowney had 9 sacks last year and has always been a demon against the run.

He could strengthen a rotation (if he isnt too expensive)

I could also see them taking a 1 tech, as we seem thin

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, TonyBungee said:

I believe that was a good signing.  I was hoping we’d have some conversations with Michel.  

• Like 1

I will stick with bringing TY back for 1 more year on the cheap and adding Bradberry if we can. TY knows the system, knows the coach, and we need a Vet at WR in the locker room that can still give us 4 or 5 good games in a pinch. We add those 2 guys I may change my win total to 12, I am at 11 right now.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, 07dleigh said:

Geez... 20??!

Sounds like you are fully unaware that a huge number of players stayed in school an extra year. Jeez, there were approx. 2700 draft eligbles this year rather than the usual 1700. Many of the guys we brought in were on our draftable board. You should be EXCITED!

On 5/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, joecolts said:

I believe that was a good signing.  I was hoping we’d have some conversations with Michel.  

Or just offered him a free Sony TV as a signing bonus.

• Haha 2

On 5/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will stick with bringing TY back for 1 more year on the cheap and adding Bradberry if we can. TY knows the system, knows the coach, and we need a Vet at WR in the locker room that can still give us 4 or 5 good games in a pinch. We add those 2 guys I may change my win total to 12, I am at 11 right now.

See.. I would love this. I already feel good, but adding one more offensive and defensive vet would make me feel GREAT; absolutely fired up.

• Like 1

TY vs Julio is interesting. On the surface it seems to make more sense to bring back TY; hometown guy, knows system, just all around easier... but guess what, he didn't make a Super Bowl run with our QB1... Matty Ice can complete passes to him in his sleep.. neither of these guys playing a full season regardless lol. Interesting.

I must say, I'm starting to lean Julio. Higher ceiling there.. but should we be looking for ceiling or floor with a #3 vet? 

On 5/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I may be in a minority here, but I think we stand pat on offense

I could see us taking a swing at Bradberry or.......   drum roll.....  Clowney 

Either would help the team

Clowney had 9 sacks last year and has always been a demon against the run.

He could strengthen a rotation (if he isnt too expensive)

I could also see them taking a 1 tech, as we seem thin

Adding Clowney would be insane! If we add another defensive guy... we can play with ANY of these new offenses. 

Man, now that you present Clowney, I don't even know who I'd prefer, he or Bradberry. The correct answer is probably Bradberry, but talk about strengthening a strength. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Adding Clowney would be insane! If we add another defensive guy... we can play with ANY of these new offenses. 

Man, now that you present Clowney, I don't even know who I'd prefer, he or Bradberry. The correct answer is probably Bradberry, but talk about strengthening a strength. 

Lets add Clowney, Bradberry, and TY. I know that probably won't happen but if it did we would be real loaded. That would be pulling a Rams lmao 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets add Clowney, Bradberry, and TY. I know that probably won't happen but if it did we would be real loaded. That would be pulling a Rams lmao 

Its really not as crazy as it seems. To get all 3 we would have to reshuffle cap to signing bonus.

(Like 80% of the other teams seem to do)

If Ryan can still play at a high level.........  This team could be special

That being said.......  I think there is a much better chance that we make no more splash moves.... at all

Maybe just depth pieces

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its really not as crazy as it seems. To get all 3 we would have to reshuffle cap to signing bonus.

That being said.......  I think there is a much better chance that we make no more splash moves.... at all

Maybe just depth pieces

When it is all said and done we will probably just re-sign TY or nab Julio for cheap. I hope we do get Bradberry somehow.

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe just depth pieces

I'm not versed on how these cap numbers work. We could genuinely stretch our remaining 13m (?) (I guess less now after signing rooks) to sign two more guys? It's not just a pipe dream?

9 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I'm not versed on how these cap numbers work. We could genuinely stretch our remaining 13m (?) (I guess less now after signing rooks) to sign two more guys? It's not just a pipe dream?

Several teams work around the cap, Rams are a great example of it. Saints do it a lot as well. The NFL likes to say 'there is a true cap' but you can cheat around it for a few years and sign players that you wouldn't think is possible. Usually not Ballard's style and we do have to make sure we get Nelson re-signed. When we signed Gilmore and took on Matt Ryan's contract, I knew we were all in at that point. So who knows??

• Thanks 1

Adding Bradberry would make our defense elite.  If we are all in this would be the final move.  We are going to be facing some great QB’s and offense’s.  We need to stop the pass.  I’m hoping Ballard signs him today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Adding Bradberry would make our defense elite.  If we are all in this would be the final move.  We are going to be facing some great QB’s and offense’s.  We need to stop the pass.  I’m hoping Ballard signs him today.

Bad timing! Eagles signed him. 

• Sad 1

We got that RB room addition in Lindsay though. Was maybe hoping for someone maybe half a tier above him, but solid. Not complaining. One thing CB knows how to do is depth.