Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dir of Scouting (Morocco Brown) interviewing with Philly / Mike Derice leaving for NYG (update)


Recommended Posts

Would hate to lose him.

Unless Philly is going to get rid of someone, or create a new position, guessing it's for their vacant VP of FB ops.

He's already had interviews with other teams, including some GM spots. 

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/5/9/23064523/report-colts-director-of-scouting-morocco-brown-to-interview-for-high-ranking-position-with-eagles

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Videos the last two years have revealed this about Brown..  

 

That his unofficial title has been Executive in charge of finding Unicorns.   
 

So he was in early and often last year on Dayo.   And this year he was the driving force on Jelani Woods.   Clearly Ballard respects his judgement.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Videos the last two years have revealed this about Brown..  

 

That his unofficial title has been Executive in charge of finding Unicorns.   
 

So he was in early and often last year in Dayo.   And thus year he was the driving force in Jelani Woods.   Clearly Ballard respects his judgement.  

 

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was the driving force behind the Leonard and Smith picks. 

Not sure if true, but probably Indy's 2 best picks (positional value from a draft pick) in the Ballard days. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's valuable to Ballard's process. However, i'm going to trust that CB can replace his pieces. The expectation has always been that we will lose coaches and front office folks because we try to accumulate the brightest.

 

If he goes, i think we get a couple mid round comp picks too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Superman changed the title to Dir of Scouting (Morocco Brown) interviewing with Philly / Mike Derice leaving for NYG (update)

It's always a good indication when other teams are interested/hire from your personnel staff.

 

Hiring/developing/maintaining a scouting staff is one of the most important responsibilities for GMs. The GMs end up with a lot of the credit/blame depending on how things go but their scouting staffs play a big part in it. I don't doubt Chris Ballard will maintain a good group.

 

I wonder if the Colts will bring in someone from the outside if they lose Morocco. They lost Rex Hogan a few years ago and he was originally hired with the same title as Ed Dodds. They have promoted some of the current staff recently though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad news that we lost Derice, and will be worse news if we lose Morocco Brown.

 

I get it happens to good teams, and we have been dodging losing Brown and Dodds for a few years now, but the sting of losing them will still be felt when it does happen. It's the equivalent of losing an elite player due to trade because you can't afford him, and having to replace him through the draft player-wise (best comparison I could come up with). If we make promotions from within, it's "next man up", but it'd be like if Pittman went down and all the other WRs have to play above their means. That's what losing Morocco Brown is like here if it happens. If you get someone from another team and give them a promotion, you hope it works out, but there's no guarantees either.

 

So it's a difficult situation, and will almost surely make our scouting department weaker. Losing Derice made me turn my head as it caught me off guard, losing Brown would be a devastating blow and I hope, like every year, that he ends up deciding to stay with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a GM one of their goals is to create a place where people get promoted out.  This helps to attract the best talent.

 

Also in a group of scouts I am sure there are plenty of options who are ready to step into more responsibility.  I wouldn't worry about any of this for that reason.  Well that and the fact that we really don't know how good any of these guys are without working with them.

 

So congrats to both.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

For a GM one of their goals is to create a place where people get promoted out.  This helps to attract the best talent.

 

Also in a group of scouts I am sure there are plenty of options who are ready to step into more responsibility.  I wouldn't worry about any of this for that reason.  Well that and the fact that we really don't know how good any of these guys are without working with them.

 

So congrats to both.  

 

To the bolded, great point. Losing talent sucks, but churning out guys that are getting promoted, is a great attraction to replace the lost talent. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

For a GM one of their goals is to create a place where people get promoted out.  This helps to attract the best talent.

 

Also in a group of scouts I am sure there are plenty of options who are ready to step into more responsibility.  I wouldn't worry about any of this for that reason.  Well that and the fact that we really don't know how good any of these guys are without working with them.

 

So congrats to both.  

Couldn't agree more.

 

And this is why the Philly job (whatever the title is) is so ideal. Philly churns out promotions to their execs across the league better than arguably anyone. They constantly are developing great people and have a pipeline of great front office folks that are sought after all the time. Good video on this today actually:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Damn it!  Derice was our best educated front office staff member.  He definitely graduated from the best school.

SUNY schools suck. SUNY alum here.. Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, EastStreet said:

Would hate to lose him.

Unless Philly is going to get rid of someone, or create a new position, guessing it's for their vacant VP of FB ops.

He's already had interviews with other teams, including some GM spots. 

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/5/9/23064523/report-colts-director-of-scouting-morocco-brown-to-interview-for-high-ranking-position-with-eagles

 

 

 

Brown is expendable anyway since RAS is head scout now.  :funny:

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, Jackie Daytona said:

I got admitted to be a seawolf.. but don't remember being overly impressed.

They were the patirots when i started there and became the seawolves in my junior year.  I have always wondered if it was when Kraft bought the NFL team and maybe he paid off the school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is great news. We needed to keep Brown. Would of been a huge loss if the Eagles got him.

 

Hard to tell who does what, or is responsible for what picks/evals, but I like his vibe. 

I think he's been better on the college side (what he's done with Indy), than his earlier pro-personnel focus. 

Gotta figure he's doing good or decent regardless given he's getting interviews. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Hard to tell who does what, or is responsible for what picks/evals, but I like his vibe. 

I think he's been better on the college side (what he's done with Indy), than his earlier pro-personnel focus. 

Gotta figure he's doing good or decent regardless given he's getting interviews. 

Something I do know about Morocco Brown is he gets us a lot of our "gem" picks. What Ballard calls "diamonds in the rough". I heard he was responsible for Darius Leonard. So if that's true, I'm especially happy to keep him as we generally have a decent success rate on day 3 of the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something I do know about Morocco Brown is he gets us a lot of our "gem" picks. What Ballard calls "diamonds in the rough". I heard he was responsible for Darius Leonard. So if that's true, I'm especially happy to keep him as we generally have a decent success rate on day 3 of the draft.

I heard he had a lot to do with Leonard as well. Keep in mind Brown was a LB in college (NCSt IIRC). 

It would be great though if the FO would tell us who identified, and pushed for, each pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I heard he had a lot to do with Leonard as well. Keep in mind Brown was a LB in college (NCSt IIRC). 

It would be great though if the FO would tell us who identified, and pushed for, each pick. 

Yeah, I know Derek Larger from the Bring the Juice Podcast. He asked Morrocco Brown a couple of questions in an interview after the draft, I'll see if he can ask who is reponsible for the picks next time he does a stream.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Dodds and Brown must really love working with Ballard


Im sure that’s a very large factor.   But I think both have been with other franchises as well in their careers and both know that while a promotion is great, if you go to the wrong team, you’ll be out of that job soon enough.  And then good luck getting back to that level ever again. 
 

There may be 32 teams, but many of them are NOT well run and chances of success are not good.   Better to stay where you’re happy, respected, and appreciated.  Maybe someday you’ll get a shot at a good job in a good franchise that’s a good fit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


Im sure that’s a very large factor.   But I think both have been with other franchises as well in their careers and both know that while a promotion is great, if you go to the wrong team, you’ll be out of that job soon enough.  And then good luck getting back to that level ever again. 
 

There may be 32 teams, but many of them are NOT well run and chances of success are not good.   Better to stay where you’re happy, respected, and appreciated.  Maybe someday you’ll get a shot at a good job in a good franchise that’s a good fit. 

 

Of course. The job has to sell you as much you're selling yourself to the job. I'm just amazed with how much Dodds especially has interviewed with other teams and more often then not they pull their names out instead of it being the other way around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Of course. The job has to sell you as much you're selling yourself to the job. I'm just amazed with how much Dodds especially has interviewed with other teams, more often then not they pull their names out instead of it being the other way around.


Yes….  It occurred to me they have interviewed with franchises like Pittsburgh and Philly, among others.   And I’d guess that those franchises, which don’t have as much turnover, might be more set in their ways and perhaps less interested in the changes our guys might want to bring.    
 

No way of knowing, just speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yes….  It occurred to me they have interviewed with franchises like Pittsburgh and Philly, among others.   And I’d guess that those franchises, which don’t have as much turnover, might be more set in their ways and perhaps less interested in the changes our guys might want to bring.    
 

No way of knowing, just speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable. 

 

Obviously from watching the draft pick series, you can tell Ballard gives his staff a lot of say and wants to hear their opinion. To your point, might not be like that at other organizations

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...