Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

Would I like him to stay healthy and play a full season? Of course I would. You want that for every player. Can we have any reasonable expectation that he will be able to do that? Not really. I hate it when guys end up this way. You can call it bad luck or whatever, but this is what the facts tell us. On the other hand, can any player go down at any point during the season? Sure they can and will. That's why every position needs to have depth behind it. I don't think we have really great wide receivers, but I think we have depth here that we may not have at other positions. I also think they will all look better with Matt Ryan throwing to them. 

15 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Would I like him to stay healthy and play a full season? Of course I would. You want that for every player. Can we have any reasonable expectation that he will be able to do that? Not really. I hate it when guys end up this way. You can call it bad luck or whatever, but this is what the facts tell us. On the other hand, can any player go down at any point during the season? Sure they can and will. That's why every position needs to have depth behind it. I don't think we have really great wide receivers, but I think we have depth here that we may not have at other positions. I also think they will all look better with Matt Ryan throwing to them. 

I agree, things will look different with Matt.  

Back in the day I used to get Jimmy Smiths on my fantasy team. Remember him?  All Star with the Jags for about 10 years.  He may still be their all time leading receiver. 

He didn’t play his first three years due to various injuries and illnesses.   Not saying Parris will turn out that way, but sometimes a players luck turns around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I see the reasoning behind your logic.  I think the colts will start him of healthy. I personally wouldn’t at the expense of other young WRs snaps. I would use him as a backup and limit his snaps until it just makes no sense to not unleash him full time. I think he will be injured before that happens. I don’t think he makes it 5 games before he misses time. Not being pessimistic just real.  I think the kid would be a top 10 star in this league if healthy. I think he really is that good. I hope he stays on the field. 

Do you know where CW ranked with deep balls thrown?  Hard to say what FR will do with Ryan. I think we have a few receivers capable of going deep. I hope that translates into a few deep shots a game. I’m not expecting 40-50yr bombs  from Ryan but hopefully enough 20yd throws to back the DBs up to work underneath with our run game and receivers. 

Wentz was #6 in deep ball completion rate last year. Ryan was #3. Both great in that aspect. 

Neither were top half of the league in deep ball attempts last season. Ryan was top 5 in deep ball attempts though in 2020. 

On Parris... it's his last season under contract. I think you have to go all on him if healthy. If not, it's just a waste. And we simply don't have guys with his skill set (speed, agility, route running). Harris has the speed/agility, but raw. The rest of the guys are all a clear step back in terms of measurables/ceiling. If he gets hurt though, might as well cut him early and free up the roster spot for a vet FA. If he can stay healthy and is productive, given him a moderate short term extension for an opportunity to stitch together a few healthy seasons. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to PFF (your favorite), Matt Ryan was ranked #1 in accuracy at passes over 10 yards in 2021 with crap WR's. That is a real solid stat fact. Why some in here keep saying he as diminishing arm strength is comical. His arm strength is great according to PFF lmao . He turns 37 in May and easily can play 2 or 3 more years. His arm strength is better than Brady's and is better than what Rivers had in 2020.

10 yards is not really a great stake in the ground for arm strength. 

20 yards is the better metric, which is what most use to measure deep targets and quality. 

He was still good at 20 yards and more. But was not top 20 in deep attempts.

He had Pitts and Gage, and Ridley (for part of the year / injury). Those are 3 high quality targets. He also had Patterson, considered one of the best if not the best receiving RBs. Those aren't crap receivers. On par with what we had last year. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 9:39 PM, EastStreet said:

If he stays healthy, he'll be productive. And if he's healthy and productive, he'll be back. Not on a big deal, but something moderate to health history and production.

Regardless of this year, would never spend big on him, nor will any other team, until he puts together multiple years of good health and production. 

But I do think even if we let him go, some team will pick him up on the cheap, hoping he can improve his relationship with the gods of health. 

I disagree. He runs a 4.3. He has big year and someone will throw up some stupid money. Look what tte Jags paid for their free agent receiver.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wentz was #6 in deep ball completion rate last year. Ryan was #3. Both great in that aspect. 

Neither were top half of the league in deep ball attempts last season. Ryan was top 5 in deep ball attempts though in 2020. 

On Parris... it's his last season under contract. I think you have to go all on him if healthy. If not, it's just a waste. And we simply don't have guys with his skill set (speed, agility, route running). Harris has the speed/agility, but raw. The rest of the guys are all a clear step back in terms of measurables/ceiling. If he gets hurt though, might as well cut him early and free up the roster spot for a vet FA. If he can stay healthy and is productive, given him a moderate short term extension for an opportunity to stitch together a few healthy seasons. 

Thanks for the stats. 

On Parris, I get the logic to use him if he is healthy. The kid can be a stud WR. I’m just to the point I guess I’m over it and would hate to take camp snaps away from other players more likely to be available.  I think he will be on IR or banged up enough he is ineffective by game 5.  Horrible outlook but just the way I feel.  You never know...he may give us 14-15 good games this year.  I hope so. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree. He runs a 4.3. He has big year and someone will throw up some stupid money. Look what tte Jags paid for their free agent receiver.

Your comp is not really a good comp. If you're talking about Kirk, I agree the contract was high, but he played 17 games last season and has never played less than 12 games in a season. That's very different than Parris. 

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thanks for the stats. 

On Parris, I get the logic to use him if he is healthy. The kid can be a stud WR. I’m just to the point I guess I’m over it and would hate to take camp snaps away from other players more likely to be available.  I think he will be on IR or banged up enough he is ineffective by game 5.  Horrible outlook but just the way I feel.  You never know...he may give us 14-15 good games this year.  I hope so. 

I just think you have to use what you have. Given it's his last season under contract, no sense in holding back. If we would have drafted Skyy Moore, I'd agree more in terms of the need to develop a rook. But AP is just not near the same type of WR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

20 yards is the better metric, which is what most use to measure deep targets and quality. 

He had Pitts and Gage, and Ridley (for part of the year / injury). Those are 3 high quality targets. He also had Patterson, considered one of the best if not the best receiving RBs. Those aren't crap receivers. On par with what we had last year. 

Yeah Matt Ryan was even great at passing accuracy of passes more than 20 yards. Great point.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I just think you have to use what you have. Given it's his last season under contract, no sense in holding back. If we would have drafted Skyy Moore, I'd agree more in terms of the need to develop a rook. But AP is just not near the same type of WR.

Absolutely there is no one on our roster with the skill set PC offers.  I think a combination of AP, Hines and Gransen is tho. I’m guessing by mid season each will find a way to contribute.  Should be fun to watch.  I do agree the Colts will give PC every opportunity to be the player we had hoped. If he stays healthy we will be dangerous on offense. 

• Like 2

I think PC will have a big year for the Colts.  The WR position may be a bit saturated next offseason so the Colts may be able to sign him with a less than top money deal.  

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to PFF (your favorite), Matt Ryan was ranked #1 in accuracy at passes over 10 yards in 2021 with crap WR's. That is a real solid stat fact. Why some in here keep saying he as diminishing arm strength is comical. His arm strength is great according to PFF lmao . He turns 37 in May and easily can play 2 or 3 more years. His arm strength is better than Brady's and is better than what Rivers had in 2020.

Since you are clearly onboard with PFF stats now, you probably are aware that they graded Tannehill as the #9 QB last year...and #3 in accurate pass rate (overall) last year.

And prior to last year, he was top 8 and top 5 in their overall rankings, with top 10 finishes in most of their passing metrics.

It's good to see you finally come to your senses.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Your comp is not really a good comp. If you're talking about Kirk, I agree the contract was high, but he played 17 games last season and has never played less than 12 games in a season. That's very different than Parris. 

For sure. Kirk was a better prospect anyways.

And he had more yards as a rookie than Campbell has had in 3 years. His yds/game is double that of Campbell.

And last year showed that he has 1k upside.

They are not really similar at all. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Since you are clearly onboard with PFF stats now, you probably are aware that they graded Tannehill as the #9 QB last year...and #3 in accurate pass rate (overall) last year.

And prior to last year, he was top 8 and top 5 in their overall rankings, with top 10 finishes in most of their passing metrics.

Tannehill is MUCH better than many here believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure why people talk like ATL's offense was full of duds last year. It wasn't like it was in 2019, but it still had weapons.

Pitts is clearly the real deal. Gage was very solid. Ridley was only there for 5 games, but still. 

And then you have CPatt. Watch his highlights...it's basically him taking handoffs/dump-offs and turning them into huge plays, or burning DBs deep. Without CPatt, Ryan probably would have had 15-16 TDs last year. 

Even with Ridley hurt, I would say that trio was better than the Colts top trio.

The run game is a different story of course. But Ryan has always had passing weapons in ATL. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not sure why people talk like ATL's offense was full of duds last year. It wasn't like it was in 2019, but it still had weapons.

Pitts is clearly the real deal. Gage was very solid. Ridley was only there for 5 games, but still. 

And then you have CPatt. Watch his highlights...it's basically him taking handoffs/dump-offs and turning them into huge plays, or burning DBs deep. Without CPatt, Ryan probably would have had 15-16 TDs last year. 

Even with Ridley hurt, I would say that trio was better than the Colts top trio.

The run game is a different story of course. But Ryan has always had passing weapons in ATL. 

I guess the question would be this….   How good were guys guys like Gage and Patterson as receivers before last year?    Or did Ryan make them even better?  

Perhaps a year from now we’ll be talking about some of our kids being really good, better than we all thought and a good part of that will be having Matt Ryan as their quarterback?     Food for thought….

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

If we had those same players here with Wentz at QB you would be saying our WR room was average. None of those WR's are any better than what we have. I would also take Hines over Patterson. Matt Ryan made those guys better.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Tannehill is MUCH better than many here believe. 

I believe he is. I have been beating this drum for a long time. His overall stats and record since going to TEN are excellent. He has had many 4Q comebacks and game-winning drives as well. Hell, he has a 4-1 record against the Colts and has played well in all but one of those games.

PFF also believes he is. But you are correct, there are many here who don't.

I will admit that last year wasn't great, but it was still a solid season overall, according to many metrics. And when they needed him to win games at the end of the season, he stepped up. We shouldn't be judging a player based on their most recent season anyways.

That 2021 TEN team dealt with a lot of injuries, especially to his WRs. And Tannehill's decision-making regressed. 

But I think we will see a course correction this year. Even though he lost AJ Brown, he still has good pass catchers to throw to. Certainly better than last year when you account for the injuries.

I think if he was on some random NFC team, people would see it. But we hate TEN as a division rival, which I get. 

I, for one, will be happy to see him leave TEN after this season, if he truly does. Their passing game was a joke until he showed up.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I am not onboard with PFF at all but was pointing out to @EastStreetwho loves PFF that Matt Ryan is great accuracy wise with passes over 10 yards and even 20 yards. 

I wouldn't touch Tannehill with a 10 foot poll lmao . He stinks in playoff play = 2019, 2020, 2021. He is Brissett like in every playoff game he has played in, look it up - stats don't lie. He played terrible last season vs Cincy. His team had 9 sacks and rushed for over 100 yards and Cincy still beat them in Tennessee because the dude threw 3 INT's. The year the Titans made the AFC Title Game in 2019, he wasn't the reason why, Henry averaged 150 yards a game in that playoff run and their D was lights out. He was Trent Dilfer at best in 2019. I compare Wentz to Tannehill, stats look great at times but when it is time to win, they shrivel up. Matt Ryan is better than both of those guys.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I guess the question would be this….   How good were guys guys like Gage and Patterson as receivers before last year?    Or did Ryan make them even better?  

Perhaps a year from now we’ll be talking about some of our kids being really good, better than we all thought and a good part of that will be having Matt Ryan as their quarterback?     Food for thought….

Perhaps that will be the case. 

But CPatt is basically a perennial AP as a KR. He's always been a dynamic player. And he was pretty similar to his last season in MIN and his seasons in NE and LV. He just got a lot more snaps, which led to more targets and many more carries. 

That's more coaching than anything. But if you watch his highlights last year, you quickly see his production wasn't really because of any QB. He was just a big play machine once he got the ball in his hands.

As for Gage, we will just have to see. He has been a good/productive WR since he got his chance. Apparently TB liked him enough to give him $10M/year to replace the WR3 (AB) role on their SB-contending team. I think there is a decent chance he is a diamond-in-the-rough late-round WR, but since he's going to play with TB, I doubt we will learn that he's actually not a good WR haha.

But the overall point is that ATL did have some weapons on offense last year. And I am not saying they lifted Ryan's game, I am saying the weapons didn't bring him down, as some seem to suggest.

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Absolutely there is no one on our roster with the skill set PC offers.  I think a combination of AP, Hines and Gransen is tho. I’m guessing by mid season each will find a way to contribute.  Should be fun to watch.  I do agree the Colts will give PC every opportunity to be the player we had hoped. If he stays healthy we will be dangerous on offense. 

I'm high on AP and Hines. Still not sold on Granson. He's another guy we've asked to do totally something different from what he did well in college. Not saying he can't, or won't be good, but right now I don't see it. Year 2 will tell us a lot. I hope he takes a big step.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shasta519 said:

For sure. Kirk was a better prospect anyways.

And he had more yards as a rookie than Campbell has had in 3 years. His yds/game is double that of Campbell.

And last year showed that he has 1k upside.

They are not really similar at all. 

Yup, and yup. I still think they overpaid though lol. 

2006 is simply trying to drive a narrative, and he doesn't really know ATL. 

Pitts has always been a more of an X, even in college. ATL certainly uses him like an X. 

Gage is a very good #3 target. Had Ridley kept healthy, ATL's receiving core would have been one of the better ones in the NFL.

And yup, Patterson is a monster. He's more WR than RB, and is a level up from Hines. I wish we'd use Hines more like Patterson. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not onboard with PFF at all but was pointing out to @EastStreetwho loves PFF that Matt Ryan is great accuracy wise with passes over 10 yards and even 20 yards. 

I wouldn't touch Tannehill with a 10 foot poll lmao . He stinks in playoff play = 2019, 2020, 2021. He is Brissett like in every playoff game he has played in, look it up - stats don't lie. He played terrible last season vs Cincy. His team had 9 sacks and rushed for over 100 yards and Cincy still beat them in Tennessee because the dude threw 3 INT's. The year the Titans made the AFC Title Game in 2019, he wasn't the reason why, Henry averaged 150 yards a game in that playoff run and their D was lights out. He was Trent Dilfer at best in 2019. I compare Wentz to Tannehill, stats look great at times but when it is time to win, they shrivel up. Matt Ryan is better than both of those guys.

You love quoting PFF if it fits your narrative, and hate it when it goes against your opinion. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jonjon said:

And if I win the lottery, I'll retire tomorrow. 

I wouldn't retire, but I'd certainly head to the beach for several months on a mini break, and do some different things going forward. 

10 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'd do different things too. Like not work. :)  

I'd move to the beach, start a no-kill shelter for dogs, and let my friends and family (very big group) compete in an "Apprentice" like competition with the winners getting businesses to run lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You love quoting PFF if it fits your narrative, and hate it when it goes against your opinion. 

I use it with you because you are all about stats. You don't factor in eye test at all or what kind of leadership a player may have. To you if it isn't statistically, it isn't fact. So by bringing up Matt Ryan and saying per Pff, he has great accuracy with the deep ball, there is no way you can tell me that is just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I use it with you because you are all about stats. You don't factor in eye test at all or what kind of leadership a player may have. To you if it isn't statistically, it isn't fact. So by bringing up Matt Ryan and saying per Pff, he has great accuracy with the deep ball, there is no way you can tell me that is just my opinion.

lol... I use eye test plenty. It's just that my eyes don't stray near as much away from stats like a lot of folks do. And I even provided stats about Ryan's deep ball accuracy (true deep of 20+) several days ago, so the PFF stats of 10+ are both less relevant, and late lol.

And you may not know, but I watch the Falcons about every week if they are not on at the same time as Indy. If they have a big game, I often have it on my second TV. My girl and I even had season tix years ago for a year after I moved down south. Didn't keep them as I was always trying to follow the Colts game while at the Falcons game. I don't follow them near as close as the Colts, but I can keep up with most of my neighbors who are big ATL fans. So I'd say my eyes are much better than the majority of Colts fans when it comes to all things Falcons and Ryan. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, and yup. I still think they overpaid though lol. 

They definitely did. But my point is that I can’t see any scenario where that happens with Campbell.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will just ignore that you comp'd Tannehill to Trent Dilfer.

And comparing Tannehill to Wentz is also bad. When IND was breathing down TEN's neck for the AFCS title late last year, what happened? 

Tannehill stepped up, played great, TEN went 3-0 and got the #1 seed. Wentz (and the team) choked/imploded/stunk, IND went 1-2 and missed the playoffs.

Judging a player based on playoff stats is just disingenuous (especially pointing to one fairly fluky game).

Look at this QB in (8) playoff games: 56% completion, 12 TD, 13 INT, 73.4 passer rating

That's Luck. And despite that stat line, the narrative is that he carried the Colts to a 3-3 record in the playoffs during the Grigson era. 

As for Matt Ryan, he played awful until his 4th trip to the playoffs. Manning did as well. And in his first 3 trips, Tannehill actually hasn't been nearly as bad as some really good QBs were.  

Ryan hasn't been to the playoffs since 2017 (5 seasons ago) when he was still in his prime at age 32. And since then, he has been a middle of the pack QB and ATL hasn't had a winning record.

Yet, you are certain Matt Ryan, now at age 37, will not only bounce back but play much better than he has in a long time...and lead the Colts to 12 wins and a deep trip into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, you are certain that Tannehill, whose recent track record is so much better than Ryan's, is incapable of doing anything.

That just seems like personal bias.

27 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I will just ignore that you comp'd Tannehill to Trent Dilfer.

And comparing Tannehill to Wentz is also bad. When IND was breathing down TEN's neck for the AFCS title late last year, what happened? 

Tannehill stepped up, played great, TEN went 3-0 and got the #1 seed. Wentz (and the team) choked/imploded/stunk, IND went 1-2 and missed the playoffs.

Judging a player based on playoff stats is just disingenuous (especially pointing to one fairly fluky game).

Look at this QB in (8) playoff games: 56% completion, 12 TD, 13 INT, 73.4 passer rating

That's Luck. And despite that stat line, the narrative is that he carried the Colts to a 3-3 record in the playoffs during the Grigson era. 

As for Matt Ryan, he played awful until his 4th trip to the playoffs. Manning did as well. And in his first 3 trips, Tannehill actually hasn't been nearly as bad as some really good QBs were.  

Ryan hasn't been to the playoffs since 2017 (5 seasons ago) when he was still in his prime at age 32. And since then, he has been a middle of the pack QB and ATL hasn't had a winning record.

Yet, you are certain Matt Ryan, now at age 37, will not only bounce back but play much better than he has in a long time...and lead the Colts to 12 wins and a deep trip into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, you are certain that Tannehill, whose recent track record is so much better than Ryan's, is incapable of doing anything.

That just seems like personal bias.

Eye Test, we will come back to this discussion in December. I am confident that Matt Ryan will be better than Tannehill. You aren't so lets see whose right. 

Regarding Luck, he has 4 playoff wins with no run game, Tannehill only 2 and both were in 2019 where Henry ran like Emmitt Smith. Luck is another perfect example why stats aren't everything, because his bad games came against the greatest dynasty of all-time. Imagine if Luck had Henry in his prime, we would've dominated. Not even Ben Roethlisberger ever beat the Pats in the playoffs and had a couple of bad playoff games vs them. What a few don't understand is, sometimes stats are misleading. Using stats alone can fit anyone's narrative the way they want it. Where if you try to debate someone and say player A. is better than player B. with a legit point, the person you are debating just can throw out any stat because any stat is there for people to see and pick and choose. Is Drew Brees the greatest QB ever? According to stats and PFF he is lmao . He isn't even top 5 all-time IMO, by other measures as in MVP's, SB wins/overall wins, leadership, eye test, I would take Brady, Peyton, Montana, Elway, and Rodgers over him all day. Matt Ryan is top 25 all-time, Tannehill would be lucky to make the top 100 in all honesty. 

On 5/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, EastStreet said:

I was just basing it more on what they have done. Kirk hasn't really done nearly enough to warrant the contract he received 17 games or not. Campbell could get like 700 yards or less and someone will throw money at him solely because of what he may do and not on what he has done.

They definitely did. But my point is that I can’t see any scenario where that happens with Campbell.

I don't either, even if healthy all year and he's productive. 

Very small chance if he happens to be healthy all year, and does 1000k +