Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A week later what do you grade the draft?


twfish
 Share

A week later what do you grade the draft?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Draft grade

    • A+
      2
    • A
      11
    • A-
      8
    • B+
      18
    • B
      8
    • B-
      2
    • C+
      1
    • C
      0
    • C-
      0
    • D
      0
    • F
      0


Recommended Posts

Now that we have had a week to kind of digest the picks where do you stand with the draft. I'm not taking the lack of a 1st because of Wentz into account here but to be our first 4 picks where total homeruns imho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought there was already a poll on this. I could be wrong.

 

Draft review, B. Thought the Colts filled the needs well. After the “With The Next Pick” episode, it appears they really targeted Woods and Pierce as high level picks and believed they had to make a choice between the two. They also raved over Cross. The Colts ended up getting both Pierce and Woods and traded up quickly for Cross. I think the team is happy with their picks and who feel to them.

 

In 3 years I predict we will have atleast 3 starters from this draft on a playoff team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted B. Without having a 1st round pick we did pretty well. We drafted several needs and one of the 3rd's we had, we traded was for Matt Ryan. I think Pierce will be productive, Nick Cross looks really good, and the LT we took looks like a steal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

Thought there was already a poll on this. I could be wrong.

 

Draft review, B. Thought the Colts filled the needs well. After the “With The Next Pick” episode, it appears they really targeted Woods and Pierce as high level picks and believed they had to make a choice between the two. They also raved over Cross. The Colts ended up getting both Pierce and Woods and traded up quickly for Cross. I think the team is happy with their picks and who feel to them.

 

In 3 years I predict we will have atleast 3 starters from this draft on a playoff team.

There was a poll for how we think the team will do next season and one over Alec Pierce. Dont forget about Raimann. I think he could win the battle at LT this summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still giving it an A+ a week later. 

 

After watching "with the next week", it seems we got our four targets on Day 2 in the exact order of position that Ballard wanted to fill. We were able to trade down and get Pierce (which may not seem like much but Pierce wasn't falling any further, and we stretched that pick into everything we could get). Got Woods before the Broncos and sniped them, got Raimann at tremendous value, and were able to get Cross at the end of the third. That was done with perfection.

 

I'm still a little down on Ogletree because I believe as the probable 4th TE, the most likely scenario is he'll go to the PS and there's a very good chance with his size and athleticism that he'll get claimed by another team very quickly once a few injuries start happening around the league. So I feel we could lose him very quickly unless we keep 4 TEs. If he doesn't get claimed, he has high potential though. Johnson and Brooks are two of my favorite DTs that we got, and I still think both will make the 53. Thomas is a fun swiss army knife, and he has a decent chance to make the team as well.

 

The UDFA's I still love right now. IMO, as many as 9 have a chance to make the 53 (not all will), and most of them can make the PS as well. We should be good depth-wise at almost every position now. The only things left are the things we couldn't fill in the draft or UDFA, like maybe Bradburry or Hilton to fill in the remaining needs with a veteran or two.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went with a B- although I thought about a C.  Mostly because of what we did with our 1st round pick.  I always factor in what we do with our picks, whether it be a trade or not.  Drafting Buckner with a 1st round pick was good, drafting Wentz with a 1st round pick was not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I went with a B- although I thought about a C.  Mostly because of what we did with our 1st round pick.  I always factor in what we do with our picks, whether it be a trade or not.  Drafting Buckner with a 1st round pick was good, drafting Wentz with a 1st round pick was not.

but getting Matt Ryan for just a 3rd was a fleece. If I was Atlanta I wouldn't of traded him for less the 2 2's, or a 1st round pick by itself. Even if Atlanta wanted to get rid of his contract/rebuild, they still  should have got a lot more than a 3rd. You put Matt Ryan on Tennessee last year, I highly doubt they lose to the Bengals in the playoffs the way the Titans D played. Put him on our team, we win the division because IMO we don't get swept by Tennessee, blow the Ravens game, or lose at Jacksonville.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

but getting Matt Ryan for just a 3rd was a fleece. If I was Atlanta I wouldn't of traded him for less the 2 2's, or a 1st round pick by itself. Even if Atlanta wanted to get rid of his career his contract/rebuild, they still got a lot more than a 3rd. You put Matt Ryan on Tennessee last year, I highly doubt they lose to the Bengals in the playoffs the way the Titans D played. Put him on our team, we win the division because IMO we don't get swept by Tennessee, blow the Ravens game, or lose at Jacksonville.

I agree with getting Matt for a 3rd was great.  Brought my grade up to a B-.   I consider using our first round pick on a player no longer on the team a BUST.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

but getting Matt Ryan for just a 3rd was a fleece. If I was Atlanta I wouldn't of traded him for less the 2 2's, or a 1st round pick by itself. Even if Atlanta wanted to get rid of his contract/rebuild, they still  should have got a lot more than a 3rd. You put Matt Ryan on Tennessee last year, I highly doubt they lose to the Bengals in the playoffs the way the Titans D played. Put him on our team, we win the division because IMO we don't get swept by Tennessee, blow the Ravens game, or lose at Jacksonville.

I am from Atlanta, w/o Ryan last year the falcons probably could not have won 2 games.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Now that we have had a week to kind of digest the picks where do you stand with the draft. I'm not taking the lack of a 1st because of Wentz into account here but to be our first 4 picks where total homeruns imho.

Same as I did last week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I went with a B- although I thought about a C.  Mostly because of what we did with our 1st round pick.  I always factor in what we do with our picks, whether it be a trade or not.  Drafting Buckner with a 1st round pick was good, drafting Wentz with a 1st round pick was not.

We didn't though......we drafted Matt Ryan with that first round pick after the trade went thru AND that draft pick was traded for AJ Brown to get him out of our division. Not what our FO had in mind at the beginning but the final outcome should be ranked an A+

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a B+ on this one, with only two picks I didn't like:

 

1) Pierce in the 2nd.  I don't dislike Pierce, but he's the 4th WR we've drafted in the last three drafts, and they're all very similar.  Sure, there's a difference in talent level, but they're all the same type of receiver, for the most part.  We missed a golden opportunity to diversify our WR skill set.

2) Ogletree in the 6th.  It's a 6th rounder, so it's hard to grade the draft down on that pick, no matter how bad it is.  However, like others have mentioned, it's hard to imagine there being a spot on the active roster for him.  He's a PS developmental player, when we had other positions we could have drafted players for the active roster...

 

I really liked most of the other picks, particularly: Brooks, Raimann, and Woods.  Those are gems IMO...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

We didn't though......we drafted Matt Ryan with that first round pick after the trade went thru AND that draft pick was traded for AJ Brown to get him out of our division. Not what our FO had in mind at the beginning but the final outcome should be ranked an A+

 

 I like the way you are thinkin' here.
 So we gave a 1st and 3rd for Wentz, + a 3rd for Ryan. But likely get a 2nd next year from Washington.
 So really, presto, snap the fingers and the 2nd year of Wentz turns into Ryan.
 Sure feels like a real winner to me. We are OKAY TODAY!!!  
 The AJ Brown angle is pure Gold i tell ya. Let's go win the Division!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

We didn't though......we drafted Matt Ryan with that first round pick after the trade went thru AND that draft pick was traded for AJ Brown to get him out of our division. Not what our FO had in mind at the beginning but the final outcome should be ranked an A+

We gave up a first and a 3rd for Wentz. Sure we didn't give much for Ryan, but we lost a 1st round pick.  Giving a 1st and two 3rds would not be a great trade for Ryan.   Taking Wentz and Ryan out of the mix, I would give the Colts draft a B+.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love how 'fans' question the draft picks of the FO as if they don't know (internally) what they need to fill out the roster. They double dipped on TE and double dipped on interior defensive lineman. Apparently that was what the team felt like it needed.

 

As I recall the Colts have carried 4 TE's A LOT in the past, so why not draft another uber athletic Y tight end to pair with Woods, Cox, and Granson.  Name one TE that we carried over from last year that is likely better than either draft pick? Green? Jacobson? Kalinic? Wolf?

 

We did not re-sign any of the depth DT's from last years roster so drafting two talented guys was probably more than necessary!

 

And I know that a lot of people had their preferences on which WR to select, personally I had us drafting Tolbert, but if the FO chose Pierce they did so because they felt that he fit better, and watching the "With the Next Pick" series they were pretty set on him and Woods......so it's not like they took leftovers, they picked who they wanted from the very beginning!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

We gave up a first and a 3rd for Wentz. Sure we didn't give much for Ryan, but we lost a 1st round pick.  Giving a 1st and two 3rds would not be a great trade for Ryan.   Taking Wentz and Ryan out of the mix, I would give the Colts draft a B+.

I know it's semantics really but I look at Ryan as if he's our 1st Rounder and the bonus is not having Wentz anymore PLUS not facing AJ Brown twice a year too......lol......I understand your view as well! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I love how 'fans' question the draft picks of the FO as if they don't know (internally) what they need to fill out the roster. They double dipped on TE and double dipped on interior defensive lineman. Apparently that was what the team felt like it needed.

 

As I recall the Colts have carried 4 TE's A LOT in the past, so why not draft another uber athletic Y tight end to pair with Woods, Cox, and Granson.  Name one TE that we carried over from last year that is likely better than either draft pick? Green? Jacobson? Kalinic? Wolf?

 

We did not re-sign any of the depth DT's from last years roster so drafting two talented guys was probably more than necessary!

 

And I know that a lot of people had their preferences on which WR to select, personally I had us drafting Tolbert, but if the FO chose Pierce they did so because they felt that he fit better, and watching the "With the Next Pick" series they were pretty set on him and Woods......so it's not like they took leftovers, they picked who they wanted from the very beginning!

 

Yeah, I think most of us realize that we don't know as much about the team or players in the draft as the front office, but we're here to discuss and share our personal opinions.  Who doesn't like to play armchair GM?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Archer said:

 

Yeah, I think most of us realize that we don't know as much about the team or players in the draft as the front office, but we're here to discuss and share our personal opinions.  Who doesn't like to play armchair GM?

Oh I know, like I said I wanted Tolbert......BUT, in the draft contest I nailed Woods, Cross, Johnson, Weatherford and Van Demark so while I don't know near as much as them I can follow draft patterns and understand what they look for in certain positions AND GUESS my butt off! LOL

 

I doubt anyone would have guessed Ogletree or Thomas II so I just looked them up afterwards and read as much info as I could find and they both seem like bottom of the draft flyers with solid measurables and in Thomas's case, great pedigree with his father being a solid NFL RB, his uncle being Terrence Kiel (Safety for the Falcons back in the day I think) and a cousin of Keith Byers (famous ex-Eagles RB).

 

Ultimately I do side with the FO because they SHOULD know what they need and want because they've got eyes on the entire team behind the scenes.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

.

 

Ultimately I do side with the FO because they SHOULD know what they need and want because they've got eyes on the entire team behind the scenes.

 

 


Yeah, even the years that I really whiff on my analysis, I’m usually on board with what we do in the draft by the time training camp arrives.  Like this year - I was vocal against TEs being a big need this year, but we hit it early and we hit it often.  Getting ready to buy a Jelani jersey!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...