Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we avoid a slow start this year? Reasons we might

So I was thinking about this today. This will be Reich’s first time in 5 years he has his starting QB for OTA. With Rivers we had Covid. With Wentz we had limited OTA with then no training camp. With Jacoby, although he took all the reps he didn’t know he was going to start. Even in 2018 Luck didn’t have any off season until TC. 

When I thought about this it’s pretty remarkable as long as there is no injury to Ryan Reich will have his staring QB working all offseason. 

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have a slow start this year say like 1 and 3 and John Fox maybe our head coach by game 5. Kid u not. Irsay is not going to accept it this year. Everything is in place. Good off season and Oline should be healthy going into the season. 

You’re entertaining if nothing else!    :thmup:

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thanks bud. So  u honestly think that if we go 1 and 3 Irsay won't take action?

Yeah, no.    First off, we don’t know the schedule.    Second, your very comment implies that our previous starts are all due to Frank’s incompetence.   I think that’s a fans perspective and not the view of a football insider.   I don’t believe Irsay thinks Frank is the problem. 

And I think your comment is simply projection.   If you were the owner, you’d fire Frank, therefore Irsay will fire Frank.   I don’t see it happening.    Is it possible?   Yes.   But is it likely?   I don’t think so. 

Frank did have his wonderful moments but injury/missing TC due to surgery to Q n Wentz but...

Rushing Yards
IND
J. Taylor
10 CAR, 64 YDS
TEN
D. Henry
28 CAR, 113 YDS

1st & Goal at LAR 1
(10:07 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (J.Hollins, A.Donald).

2nd & Goal at LAR 1
(9:21 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (A.Donald, E.Jones).

3rd & Goal at LAR 1
(8:42 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (T.Rapp, S.Joseph).

4th & Goal at LAR 1
(8:20 - 1st) (No Huddle) C.Wentz sacked at LA 10 for -9 yards (L.Floyd).

Lost by 3 points

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, no.    First off, we don’t know the schedule.    Second, your very comment implies that our previous starts are all due to Frank’s incompetence.   I think that’s a fans perspective and not the view of a football insider.   I don’t believe Irsay thinks Frank is the problem. 

And I think your comment is simply projection.   If you were the owner, you’d fire Frank, therefore Irsay will fire Frank.   I don’t see it happening.    Is it possible?   Yes.   But is it likely?   I don’t think so. 

Oh I stand corrected. I may have inferred Frank but I don't think he would be the only one out the door

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh I stand corrected. I may have inferred Frank but I don't think he would be the only one out the door

Huh?    Who else would be shown the door in the middle of the season?    Ballard?   Who else?   

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh if they start 1 and 3 the,whole lot of them lol

Like I said….   projection.  

We started 1 and 4 last year.   You and other haters see incompetence.    But here’s what others see….

Our QB broke his foot early in camp and missed most of the pre-season. 

Our LT was still recovering from a major injury and rushed himself back before he was ready for the good of the team. 

Our LG broke a foot and missed almost off of camp and rushed himself back to play and his grades — poor for the first time in his career — support that. 

Our C had a badly injured elbow and missed most of camp and played hurt all year. 

Our RT hurt a foot at the start of the regular season and missed about the first month of play. 

Our #2 WR got hurt in camp (neck) and missed about a third of the season.   That’s SIX significant injuries all roughly around the same time.  

And people who lack both understanding and patience simply take out their frustration on the head coach.   That’s what fans do.  I don’t think Irsay is the type of owner to have a knee-jerk reaction that you and others would want. 

That’s my view. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have a slow start this year say like 1 and 3 and John Fox maybe our head coach by game 5. Kid u not. Irsay is not going to accept it this year. Everything is in place. Good off season and Oline should be healthy going into the season. 

tenor.gif 

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yes because John Fox is gonna do better than Frank and Co

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Irsay is the type of owner to have a knee-jerk reaction that you and others would want. 

He's NEVER fired a HC during the season. Not ever. Not even Jim Caldwell, when we were 0-13 (and Caldwell should have been fired long before that). So yeah, not gonna happen.

I will say this, the Colts need to win the opener.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's NEVER fired a HC during the season. Not ever. Not even Jim Caldwell, when we were 0-13 (and Caldwell should have been fired long before that). So yeah, not gonna happen.

I will say this, the Colts need to win the opener.

Getting off to like a 3-0 start would be huge and take some of the pressure off a lot of coaches, players, and Ballard. These slow starts are getting old. We have a roster now where we should win 11 or 12 games.

Obsessing about starting fast, talking about it over and over hasn't worked.  They need to just show up and play.  In 2022, they shouldn't talk it to death.

I wouldn't doubt if they go to Jacksonville week one.  They seem to flip the division road and away games every year, and scheduling it first would provide the biggest storyline for the game.  Back to where it all ended.  

11 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we will have a slow start and bad season because the afc south has all improved all except us. ballard has too many iffy spots on the team

OLD FART MAN BETTER CHECK YOUR DRAWERS because you full of IT!
  Time for you to go to Forum purgatory.  riddance

14 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Frank did have his wonderful moments but injury/missing TC due to surgery to Q n Wentz but...

Rushing Yards
IND
J. Taylor
10 CAR, 64 YDS
TEN
D. Henry
28 CAR, 113 YDS

1st & Goal at LAR 1
(10:07 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (J.Hollins, A.Donald).

2nd & Goal at LAR 1
(9:21 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (A.Donald, E.Jones).

3rd & Goal at LAR 1
(8:42 - 1st) J.Taylor up the middle to LA 1 for no gain (T.Rapp, S.Joseph).

4th & Goal at LAR 1
(8:20 - 1st) (No Huddle) C.Wentz sacked at LA 10 for -9 yards (L.Floyd).

Lost by 3 points

Sorry….    But what’s your point?

I don’t catch your meaning. 

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't  know about 1-3, especially without knowing the schedule  BUT trends are often difficult to buck in the nfl.

And our trend of  losing the opener and losing in Jax every year is one trend I wouldn't be surprised if it continues. 

As far as firing Reich, I'll guess he will be the next scapegoat if they need one? . I think the colts will have a decent season if Ryan stays healthy and maybe a scapegoat won't be necessary unless theres a embarrassing performance in the postseason. 

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….    But what’s your point?

I don’t catch your meaning. 

Well some of us think there is nothing wrong with Frank play calling, and some of us do blame his play calling. So, yeah did we have injury to start the season 2021 sure we did. However was Frank play calling questionable I do believe he moved away from RTDB and was pass happy or leaving the points by not kicking FG. Again that's my 2 cents and it means nothing to CB or Colts or Frank but as a fan and for discussion

27 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Well some of us think there is nothing wrong with Frank play calling, and some of us do blame his play calling. So, yeah did we have injury to start the season 2021 sure we did. However was Frank play calling questionable I do believe he moved away from RTDB and was pass happy or leaving the points by not kicking FG. Again that's my 2 cents and it means nothing to CB or Colts or Frank but as a fan and for discussion

I would agree he got ridiculously tunnel visioned in at times on the passing game.

I'm not sure Frank wouldn't be better as an OC.... Or a HC who didn't call plays.  He seems amazing at scripting and gameplanning, weak at calls in the heat of the moment now and then.  Maybe he should let Brady call the plays, and focus on gameplanning and CEO type coaching duties....

17 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I'm not sure Frank wouldn't be better as an OC.... Or a HC who didn't call plays.  He seems amazing at scripting and gameplanning, weak at calls in the heat of the moment now and then.  Maybe he should let Brady call the plays, and focus on gameplanning and CEO type coaching duties....

You hit the nail on the head with this comment.  

I like him as the head coach outside of calling the plays (I think he gets tunnel vision).  

1 year removed from their SB appearance, The Matt Ryan led Atlanta Falcons were .500 in their first 8 games in both 2017 and 2018 season and the 2019-2021 years were worse. Philip Rivers had a history of slow starts before catching fire in November and December.

So, I am betting on history to repeat itself, that we finish 4-4 in the first 8 games. Is that an improvement over previous years under Reich? Depends on if your glass is half full or half empty. :) 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Let's see. Last year was the first time in while we actually had a week one home opener. Maybe we'll get lucky again this year. And hopefully we AREN'T going to Jax.. I wouldn't mind Houston game 1 lol. if we start 1-0 I'll be happy

If we lost to Houston game 1 that be a bad sign

Those who want to avoid Jax are crazy lol the hell are y’all afraid of? They ruined our season * off the owner sorta got the Qb traded lmao  and had all of our players looking like they were Trash..that’s a prove it game to me show me you aren’t as garbage as you were last year a lot of players mentioned that last game they def would want some Get back I’d hope 

2 hours ago, will426 said:

Those who want to avoid Jax are crazy lol the hell are y’all afraid of? They ruined our season * off the owner sorta got the Qb traded lmao  and had all of our players looking like they were Trash..that’s a prove it game to me show me you aren’t as garbage as you were last year a lot of players mentioned that last game they def would want some Get back I’d hope 

agree i do hope we get Jags in their house for the opener 

i don't think the game will be close. JI will be in the huddle for that game.

score: colts 49 jags 6

Archived