Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nfl-draft-prospects-to-watch-10-quarterbacks-10-non-q-nonsense-we-like-early-on-181039990.html

Some decent QBs that may be available to Colts next year

We will see how they turn out 

If Anthony Richardson can learn pass, as well as he runs, he could be special

Stroud is my favorite, but unless we stink it up this year, we wont be in range to get him

I think I heard Mel Kiper and Todd McShay say they would put the over/under on QBs taken in R1 of 2023 draft at 6.5. If this is anywhere close to true we are talking about a historically great QB draft. 

After I watch our 2022 draft picks I will start watching some of those QBs. 

I've watched Stroud and Young casually, just while watching random college football games and they are looking good, I definitely have to sit down and watch them with more critical eye, but they did look like potential high picks. Anthony Richardson had a lot of hype at the end of the year, because he's super athlete in a 6'4" 230 body, but he looked really raw to me as a passer(has big arm though)... for example, he looks much more raw to me than Malik Willis. 

The guy I feel like will be my guy next year is Will Levis from Kentucky. I watched Wan'Dale Robinson for this year's draft and the QB kept popping for me... I was like... "oh damn, that's good play from the QB... and here's another one... oh he can run too..." I guess we will see how next year goes... 

• Like 1

I will no doubt watch the top QBs in college in the 2022 season. I have heard there could be 5 or 6 go in the 1st round. Deep class, and if we take one with our 1st round pick in 2023 I would be ok with that. That would make perfect sense for our future. 2022 is the Matt Ryan show and 2022 is all I am focused on. We have a good team and a good roster that can win the south and could be dangerous in the playoffs going into 2022. People need to appreciate what we have instead being so negative. Many in here bashing the Pierce pick, I hope the dude balls out so I can laugh at the people that hate this pick. It was not only a necessary pick, it was a good one.

Like most people I’m very familiar with Stroud and Young. The guys outside of them that interest me are Levis and Van *. We know now that Ballard values traits very highly. As bigger QBs that can run, those may be the guys he likes.

Some of the other guys I have hear of but haven’t seen a bunch. Now that the draft is over, I’ll start my 2023 tape watching and start getting my watch list ready for next season.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Like most people I’m very familiar with Stroud and Young. The guys outside of them that interest me are Levis and Van *. We know now that Ballard values traits very highly. As bigger QBs that can run, those may be the guys he likes.

Some of the other guys I have hear of but haven’t seen a bunch. Now that the draft is over, I’ll start my 2023 tape watching and start getting my watch list ready for next season.

We will have to do something about this guy's name... it would be pain in the * to read his name as * all season long... :D 

BTW if we accept that Ballard loves athleticism in pretty much every single position on the roster, do we have any reason to doubt he would like athletic QB too? IMO whenever we draft a QB chances are he will exhibit high end athletic/physical traits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

We will have to do something about this guy's name... it would be pain in the * to read his name as * all season long... :D 

BTW if we accept that Ballard loves athleticism in pretty much every single position on the roster, do we have any reason to doubt he would like athletic QB too? IMO whenever we draft a QB chances are he will exhibit high end athletic/physical traits. 

I guess we can go with Tyler VD lol.

But yeah I take it he likes size and speed at QB too. If you figure Luck was the best QB he had, if he pulls the trigger high on a QB it’ll be someone in that mold. Big, athletic (not necessarily blazing fast but someone who can move), but also cerebral. And of course character will be super important. It’s rare for QBs not to be team captains, but I imagine that will be super important. 

Looking back on it, idk if there’s been a QB who really fits his mold in the last couple of drafts. Herbert might have been the only one.

• Like 1

With our current team I think the chances of Ryan playing at a high level and getting us deep into the playoffs is more likely than the Colts missing the playoffs again and thereby opening up the door for a quarterback to be chosen with our 1st pick.  I think we are all in on winning a SB with Ryan over the next three or four years.   For me it would be too early to draft a quarterback in the first round and similar to the Packers taking Love when they could have used that pick on a player to help get them a super bowl.  Today first round quarterbacks are expected to play and take over their teams quickly and certainly within the first couple of years.  That will not happen if Ryan is playing well and our window is still open.  

11 hours ago, stitches said:

I think I heard Mel Kiper and Todd McShay say they would put the over/under on QBs taken in R1 of 2023 draft at 6.5. If this is anywhere close to true we are talking about a historically great QB draft. 

After I watch our 2022 draft picks I will start watching some of those QBs. 

I've watched Stroud and Young casually, just while watching random college football games and they are looking good, I definitely have to sit down and watch them with more critical eye, but they did look like potential high picks. Anthony Richardson had a lot of hype at the end of the year, because he's super athlete in a 6'4" 230 body, but he looked really raw to me as a passer(has big arm though)... for example, he looks much more raw to me than Malik Willis. 

The guy I feel like will be my guy next year is Will Levis from Kentucky. I watched Wan'Dale Robinson for this year's draft and the QB kept popping for me... I was like... "oh damn, that's good play from the QB... and here's another one... oh he can run too..." I guess we will see how next year goes... 

Im reading stories today about the 2023 class and there is no talk of 6 or 7 first round quarterbacks.   I’m guessing they were being facetious if that’s what they said.  

Im reading 3 clear and obvious ones and a couple more that MIGHT reach the first with improved play and no injuries….  All the usual standard issues. 

• Like 2

At this point.... many things will change from next years draft

There were a few outlets last year that had Sam Howell as QB1 going in to the season, he went in the 5th

I think there MAY be 4 that go in round 1 next year

I think this will be the time for the Colts to go get the QB of the future

We will see....  The college games with the "leaders" (not including THE Ohio State) may take on more interest for me this year

• Like 1

Levis looks good and hopefully improves even more this coming year. McKee from Stanford I like for us next year. 6’6” 230. Big guy that plays well. Give him another year to improve under Shaw I think he goes late 1st. 

I can see 4 maybe 5 go in the first round next year. Stroud and Young will more than likely be the first two. But Levi’s and McKee I see going as well. 

Richardson from Florida reminds me of a Cam Newton. Big and athletic but not great in the pocket and not the best at reading a D and being accurate. Hopefully he can show a lot of improvement and can learn because he could be very good if so. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Levis looks good and hopefully improves even more this coming year. McKee from Stanford I like for us next year. 6’6” 230. Big guy that plays well. Give him another year to improve under Shaw I think he goes late 1st. 

I can see 4 maybe 5 go in the first round next year. Stroud and Young will more than likely be the first two. But Levi’s and McKee I see going as well. 

Richardson from Florida reminds me of a Cam Newton. Big and athletic but not great in the pocket and not the best at reading a D and being accurate. Hopefully he can show a lot of improvement and can learn because he could be very good if so. 

Next year will be the proving ground for 5-6 QBs

As I sit today there are 2 QBs that look like clear, top-shelf, or elite prospects that should go in top 10

(Even if they got hurt this season)

The question would be... past these 2, How will these other 6-8 QBs perform

Hopefully there are 2 more that show out, and we have an option

As mentioned, 5 or more QBs in round one seems like a huge stretch based on history, but who knows.......

On 5/4/2022 at 5:41 AM, stitches said:

I think Chris and Frank would love a QB with some athleticism.  Honestly, I think it was the best part of Wentz’s game.   Avoiding the rush and running fir a first down.   Think it would be great. 

That said, I still think the most important quality a QB can have is the super computer in your head.  How fast and how accurately can you process information?   That’s how Peyton and Brady and Montana got to the Hall of Fame.  Making tons of great decisions super fast.   Hopefully we can find another unicorn. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Chris and Frank would love a QB with some athleticism.  Honestly, I think it was the best part of Wentz’s game.   Avoiding the rush and running fir a first down.   Think it would be great. 

That said, I still think the most important quality a QB can have is the super computer in your head.  How fast and how accurately can you process information?   That’s how Peyton and Brady and Montana got to the Hall of Fame.  Making tons of great decisions super fast.   Hopefully we can find another unicorn. 

Agreed. But in the current NFL I feel like Peyton/Brady type of processors of the game are very rare(almost non-existing ). It seems like this era's NFL is selecting for athleticism and IMO when you consider where we will be drafting in the next years it's probably more likely that we will be in position to be drafting QBs with athletic traits that need development in the more refined aspects of the game. 

After D’Eriq king was ruled out for  the season, Tyler Van * took over at Miami. He made tremendous strides during the year. As a Canes

fan, very excited to see how he looks (& the entire team) with a much better coaching staff and an infusion of talent from the portal.

Despite his small size , I prefer young over Stroud.

Im really keeping a close eye on ND transfer and BC Qb Phil Jurkovec. He is very talented 

• Like 2

No one has mentioned him but keep an eye on K.J. Jefferson Arkansas QB, has NFL size at 6'3 240 lbs. 21 passing tds and 6 running playing in the SEC.  MVP of the Outback Bowl in the Hogs win over Penn State.

• Thanks 1

You also have Devin Leary from NC State. He is another QB that has late first and early second talk about now. 

I like looking at the early 2023 mocks and “key” players that these experts talk about. It’s interesting to see who they hit on and what not. 

47 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If the team gets at least to the AFC championship game, there is no way they spend a first round pick on a QB. That is what I hope happens. 

I agree, this is our QB for at least a few years,  Unless a no brainer is available, when the Colts pick, I can't see it, if Ryan does what most of us expect?

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 2:07 AM, Four2itus said:

If the team gets at least to the AFC championship game, there is no way they spend a first round pick on a QB. That is what I hope happens. 

The weirdest thing for me is that people dismiss the ONLY position in football that is actually capable of single-handedly producing a huge jump in the quality of a team - the QB. To me this seems like a huge blind spot. Unless you already have a true franchise QB, QB should actually be the FIRST position you are looking to upgrade, ideally for the immediate, but more realistically for the intermediate to long term. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The weirdest thing for me is that people dismiss the ONLY position in football that is actually capable of single-handedly producing a huge jump in the quality of a team - the QB. To me this seems like a huge blind spot. Unless you already have a true franchise QB, QB should actually be the FIRST position you are looking to upgrade, ideally for the immediate, but more realistically for the intermediate to long term. 

The people who dismissed it were the 32 General Managers making picks.   

One in the first round.  And the team didn’t even trade up to get him.

Zero in the second round. 

Three on the third.  One in the fourth.  One in the fifth.   

For the most important in the game. 

GMs we’re literally unimpressed with the class.   Simply drafting a QB that you believe won’t help much in the short or the long term doesn’t help at all.  

Everyone knows the QB position is the most important position. We did make an upgrade by trading for Matt Ryan. Drafting a QB this year would've been beyond ridiculous when we have Matt and needed upgrades at WR and LT. I am proud of Ballard and the way he drafted.

Unless you already have a true franchise QB, QB should actually be the FIRST position you are looking to upgrade, ideally for the immediate, but more realistically for the intermediate to long term. 

Um, Matt Ryan is a franchise QB. Furthermore, using a first round pick next season after going all in with Matt, is, IMO, not the vibe they want to send to Matt and the locker room. If he sucks, Ballard has the stones to move on as was witnessed this last offseason. I truly doubt that will happen. I have no doubt you will continue your rhetoric until the Colts have their "franchise" QB of the future. In the mean time, their job......first and foremost is to win games. Win games now.

That is what I want. I want to see the Colts new franchise level QB win games. And if he plays how I think he will, I want them to use their first round pick next season on a playmaker that helps Matt Ryan win games next year.

That is what I want. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The people who dismissed it were the 32 General Managers making picks.   

One in the first round.  And the team didn’t even trade up to get him.

Zero in the second round. 

Three on the third.  One in the fourth.  One in the fifth.   

For the most important in the game. 

GMs we’re literally unimpressed with the class.   Simply drafting a QB that you believe won’t help much in the short or the long term doesn’t help at all.  

I am not talking about this specific draft and the post I responded to was specifically suggesting we shouldn't go for QB next year, which is supposed to be a much stronger QB draft. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everyone knows the QB position is the most important position. We did make an upgrade by trading for Matt Ryan. Drafting a QB this year would've been beyond ridiculous when we have Matt and needed upgrades at WR and LT. I am proud of Ballard and the way he drafted.

We are talking about (not) drafting a QB next year. At least that was my understanding of the post I was responding to. I don't mind the path Ballard and the FO took this year and I loved most of the picks. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Um, Matt Ryan is a franchise QB. Furthermore, using a first round pick next season after going all in with Matt, is, IMO, not the vibe they want to send to Matt and the locker room. If he sucks, Ballard has the stones to move on as was witnessed this last offseason. I truly doubt that will happen. I have no doubt you will continue your rhetoric until the Colts have their "franchise" QB of the future. In the mean time, their job......first and foremost is to win games. Win games now.

That is what I want. I want to see the Colts new franchise level QB win games. And if he plays how I think he will, I want them to use their first round pick next season on a playmaker that helps Matt Ryan win games next year.

That is what I want. 

It's really hard to know at exactly what level Matt Ryan will play. His last several years have seen a bit of a drop to his prime form. I personally think it's likely he will be an upgrade. But is that a franchise QB? The cases where he is amazing(i.e. Brady/Matt Ryan circa 2016-2017 level) the decision is easy(although... quite frankly I'd still want us to go for QB of the future if a QB Ballard and Reich love is within reach). In the cases where he is bad, the decision is easy(go for QB)... But IMO both of those are not likely. The much more likely scenario is that he's somewhere in the middle. Lets say he plays at a Philip Rivers 2020 level? Is that good enough to compete in this AFC? I'd say no... so... I did like Matt Ryan's trade and I like that we didn't sit on our hands and settle for one more year of Wentz, because IMO it gives us a better chance for a playoff run and IMO it gives better environment for our young receiving options to develop. BUT... Matt Ryan is not a long-term option and even in the short term it's not very likely he will be good enough to compete with the best teams in the playoffs. 

The goal IMO should be to maximize the chance of winning a SB and there is only one position that significantly raises the chances of a team to win a championship over the long-term if you hit on it and that position is QB. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I am not talking about this specific draft and the post I responded to was specifically suggesting we shouldn't go for QB next year, which is supposed to be a much stronger QB draft. 

We are talking about (not) drafting a QB next year. At least that was my understanding of the post I was responding to. I don't mind the path Ballard and the FO took this year and I loved most of the picks. 

It's really hard to know at exactly what level Matt Ryan will play. His last several years have seen a bit of a drop to his prime form. I personally think it's likely he will be an upgrade. But is that a franchise QB? The cases where he is amazing(i.e. Brady/Matt Ryan circa 2016-2017 level) the decision is easy(although... quite frankly I'd still want us to go for QB of the future if a QB Ballard and Reich love is within reach). In the cases where he is bad, the decision is easy(go for QB)... But IMO both of those are not likely. The much more likely scenario is that he's somewhere in the middle. Lets say he plays at a Phillip Rivers 2020 level? Is that good enough to compete in this AFC? I'd say no... so... I did like Matt Ryan's trade and I like that we didn't sit on our hands and settle for one more year of Wentz, because IMO it gives us a better chance for a playoff run and IMO it gives better environment for our young receiving options to develop. BUT... Matt Ryan is not a long-term option and even in the short term it's not very likely he will be good enough to compete with the best teams in the playoffs. 

The goal IMO should be to maximize the chance of winning a SB and there is only one position that significantly raises the chances of a team to win a championship over the long-term if you hit on it and that position is QB. :dunno:

Irsay has publicly stated he’d like Ryan to be our guy for 3-4 years.   If Ryan is good, then trading draft capital to move up for a quarterback does NOT maximize the window Ryan is in. 

Obviously, if Ryan is a disappointment,  then we will recalculate and adjust.   But we have to see how 2022 plays out before deciding on our long term strategy.    

Fair enough? 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay has publicly stated he’d like Ryan to be our guy for 3-4 years.   If Ryan is good, then trading draft capital to move up for a quarterback does NOT maximize the window Ryan is in. 

Irsay says a lot of things, but we need to filter out his unbridled optimism from what is likely or not likely to happen. He was really optimistic and thought we were getting a franchise QB in Wentz too... The real question is HOW GOOD Ryan needs to be for us to not consider drafting a QB? Lets say he's Philip Rivers 2020 level good? Is that good enough?

We shouldn't be maximizing the window for Ryan or any player. We should be maximizing the chances for the COLTS to win it all. If Ryan is REALLY GOOD... like... if he returns to his 2016-2017 level, then maybe Ryan's window and Colts best chance coincide so I'd be good with spending a lot of resources on that immediate window. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Obviously, if Ryan is a disappointment,  then we will recalculate and adjust.   But we have to see how 2022 plays out before deciding on our long term strategy.    

Fair enough?  I 

That's the thing... there is a huge space there between him being a disappointment and him being good enough for us to forego pursuing a long-term franchise QB and that's the exact outcome that's most likely IMO... he will be somewhere in the middle. So what do we do then? 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Irsay says a lot of things, but we need to filter out his unbridled optimism from what is likely or not likely to happen. He was really optimistic and thought we were getting a franchise QB in Wentz too... The real question is HOW GOOD Ryan needs to be for us to not consider drafting a QB? Lets say he's Phillip Rivers 2020 level good? Is that good enough?

We shouldn't be maximizing the window for Ryan or any player. We should be maximizing the chances for the COLTS to win it all. If Ryan is REALLY GOOD... like... if he returns to his 2016-2017 level, then maybe Ryan's window and Colts best chance coincide so I'd be good with spending a lot of resources on that immediate window. 

That's the thing... there is a huge space there between him being a disappointment and him being good enough for us to forego pursuing a long-term franchise QB and that's the exact outcome that's exactly most likely IMO... he will be somewhere in the middle. So what do we do then? 

I think as a franchise we’d like to get off the ride of constantly searching for our next quarterback.   I think part of the factoring Ryan is this….  Were the reasons he was good and not great his fault?   Or was the issue the young, inexperienced receivers who should get better….  or was the problem in the OL where we have two young new faces?   If the problem is Ryan himself, then we may have to adjust.   But I wouldn’t count on that, the franchise really wants him to succeed.   There’s value in that….  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think as a franchise we’d like to get off the ride of constantly searching for our next quarterback.   I think part of the factoring Ryan is this….  Were the reasons he was good and not great his fault?   Or was the issue the young, inexperienced receivers who should get better….  or was the problem in the OL where we have two young new faces?   If the problem is Ryan himself, then we may have to adjust.   But I wouldn’t count on that, the franchise really wants him to succeed.   There’s value in that….  

You know the best way to get off the QB carousell... :thmup:

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

You know the best way to get off the QB carousell... :thmup:

Only if you hit.    But if you miss, which most teams do, then you’re stuck on the Carousel.  Only this time you have much less draft capital to use.   So your franchise has suffered a terrible setback that takes a long time to recover from.   

You always manage to leave that part out when we have this discussion.      :thmup:

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Only if you hit.    But if you miss, which most teams do, then you’re stuck on the Carousel.  Only this time you have much less draft capital to use.   So your franchise has suffered a terrible setback that takes a long time to recover from.   

You always manage to leave that part out when we have this discussion.      :thmup:

Because it goes without saying(BTW just like you bust at about the same rate at every single other position - DE, LT, CB, WR... whoever player you draft at 20+ has about the same chance to bust as your QB) ... and because if you don't have a franchise QB it almost doesn't matter what else you have - whether you have some middling QB and you are 9 or 10 win team or you bust on a QB and you go 5-12... it's all the same - you are going nowhere and you are still searching for a franchise QB. So yeah... I will always prefer at least TRYING to hit to just sitting and settling for mediocrity. 

It's so weird for me having to convince fans of a team that has had Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck for 25 years about the importance of the QB position. So many people here continue with their insistance that mediocre or playable is just fine and we should spend our premier picks on every single other position before we go for QB. This is so weird. I know... it's scary! I know, we can miss on the QB we pick. And STILL - it's the best option in the grand scheme of things... if we actually have high ambitions, rather than having the ambition to just be respectable team that wins 8-9-10 games every year. 

I'm in the camp, that you have to strongly consider QB in the next draft.

IMHO it should be priority 1

Today there are 2 clear-cut, leading QBs that will be in the draft

There are actually 6-8 QBs that today are outside of this "top tier" and probably outside of the first round

If 2 or 3 of this latter group have a great year, then we may actually have 4 or even 5 QBs taken in round 1.

I think Ryan was a great find for the Colts.

But he cant play forever. The odds say that he is almost done.

Because Tom Brady did well in his 40s everyone thinks that now every QB will be great into their 40s

it just isnt the case

With Ryan as QB, we do have a window, as we could get a QB prospect that just needs some time to develop

Sometimes these can be had in mid to late round 1.

Our "cake" has a few slices left. (Probably very few)

If you want to have cake in the future.... at some point something HAS to be put in the oven for later use

Our oven is empty, and nothing is being prepared

My vote is that you use our draft capitol to move to get a QB of the future in 2023 draft, because the 2024 draft MIGHT be another really poor year for QBs

• Like 1

If we’re not looking to acquire a top QB next year, man I’d love it if we traded up for someone like Will Anderson from Bama. He’s gonna be the next stud pass rusher in the mold of Derrick Thomas. If we stay put or trade down I’d be in favor of a WR or CB. 

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If we’re not looking to acquire a top QB next year, man I’d love it if we traded up for someone like Will Anderson from Bama. He’s gonna be the next stud pass rusher in the mold of Derrick Thomas. If we stay put or trade down I’d be in favor of a WR or CB. 

Maybe

Anderson, if he has another great year, will be a top 5 pick, maybe number 1. 

I think we have a decent team this year, and we should go 11-6 or 10-7   That puts us in the 18-25 range.

To move up to top 5, from lets say 20, will be expensive in draft capitol.

I would be up for that, but IMHO if you want to do that...... and you have a willing trade partner, why not use that pick to get one of the top 2 QBs?.....  I will cost us at least a future 1 as well as our current 1 to move up that far 

If there are 4 decent QBs to grab, I would move from 20 to lets say 12, to get that 3rd QB ......  The kid from KY looks like he will be QB3....

IMHO, QB > DE for game impact

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are actually 6-8 QBs that today are outside of this "top tier" and probably outside of the first round

If 2 or 3 of this latter group have a great year, then we may actually have 4 or even 5 QBs taken in round 1.

Because Tom Brady did well in his 40s everyone thinks that now every QB will be great into their 40s

it just isnt the case

With Ryan as QB, we do have a window, as we could get a QB prospect that just needs some time to develop

If you want to have cake in the future.... at some point something HAS to be put in the oven for later use

My vote is that you use our draft capitol to move to get a QB of the future in 2023 draft, because the 2024 draft MIGHT be another really poor year for QBs

Yep. agree with a lot of your post here.... 

IMO when considering whether you should go for a QB high in the draft there really are only 3 questions you need to answer in the affirmative. 

1. Do you need a (new) long-term franchise QB? In other words - if you don't already have one, you should be actively searching for one almost regardless of the price. 

2. Do you love any of the QBs that will be in the following draft? The answer needs to be "yes" because even though I am probably the strongest proponent of going for QB on this board, I never want to force a QB to Ballard and Reich that they don't believe in and don't think can be a franchise QB... this would be a recipe for disaster. They need to believe in the guy and be fully invested in his success. 

3. Can you get in position to draft the QB you love? If the answer to 1 and 2 is yes, IMO there is hardly any price that's too high to pay for a franchise QB. Just the value of hitting on a franchise QB on rookie deal is so astronomically high that it will almost certainly offset any additional assets you have to give up. But even if you have the desire and the assets to move up in the draft, sometimes it's just not possible - sometimes there are teams that are just unwilling to trade out of a position to draft a player(very likely the same player you will be targeting). I can't fault a GM for not being able to convince another team to take a generous deal. So... you will need a bit of luck most probably - namely, you will need to fall in love with a QB and at the same time you will need the highly drafting teams to not be as in love with the guy as you are so they'd be willing to trade out of that position. 

If the answer to all 3 questions is "yes", IMO you should just go and do it. QB is just too valuable to miss on opportunities to secure your future at the position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

it just isnt the case

I’m in the camp of “Let’s see how Matt Ryan does this year first “.  Our owner seems to think he might have 3-4 years of solid quarterback play left.  If so and he gets us into the playoffs and we win a game or two it’s going to be pretty hard to justify moving up to draft a quarterback next year.  It would probably make more sense to continue to add pieces through the draft or even trade the pick to get a difference maker like he did with Buckner.  Help Ryan win the whole thing.  That’s where I would be if he demonstrates he can play at a high level.  This year should tell us a lot about where we are at quarterback for the foreseeable future.

Looking at the Colts from 30,000 feet, I still go back to Ballard's comments long ago about the team "not being about 1 guy".  While he wants a QB, I still don't think he thinks that a purely QB-centric roster is the way to go.  A very good QB, but not a QB that has to carry a team with his talent.   No Mahomes, No Allen, No PM, No Luck.  He wants the QB to be a part of the offense...a very big and important part.......but a part and not to be nearly the whole thing.

Get the QB that fits the O in the second round next year...or late first.  Its not a lot of capital to invest to have the guy sit behind Ryan for a few years.  We need a decent backup QB anyway that would take up a roster spot.  Could spend the $5m it would take for the backup elsewhere.   That late first or early second on a QB that sits behind Ryan a few years is not that much wasted capital.

There are other draft picks after the 1st or second round in 2023 and then more first round picks in 2024 and 2025.

22 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I’m in the camp of “Let’s see how Matt Ryan does this year first “.  Our owner seems to think he might have 3-4 years of solid quarterback play left.  If so and he gets us into the playoffs and we win a game or two it’s going to be pretty hard to justify moving up to draft a quarterback next year.  It would probably make more sense to continue to add pieces through the draft or even trade the pick to get a difference maker like he did with Buckner.  Help Ryan win the whole thing.  That’s where I would be if he demonstrates he can play at a high level.  This year should tell us a lot about where we are at quarterback for the foreseeable future.

It will ultimately be what you are saying as Ryan is our QB this year.

All I have is history that will at least shine a light on what has the best odds of the future to happing

History shows that the very vast majority of top QBs are in the stages of decline at Ryans current age

Thats a fact

Will Ryan be an outlier?   Maybe...

I HOPE that he is..... I HOPE that he can break the mold on ageless QBs.... I HOPE that our owner is right on 3-4 years out

But HOPE isnt a strategy

Many QBs , like Brady and Rodgers SAT on the bench for awhile before they took the field

Because we dont have to rush a QB to play day one, we can actually use our first on a strong developmental QB with needed base skills to play the position. We will probably have 2 2nds next year that we can use all or one to move up some spots in round 1 if the QB of the future is in range

A kid coming in can learn much from a pro like Ryan

We will see how it plays out

• Like 2