Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth of Colts interior OL

hoosierhawk

Is anyone else concerned about the depth of colts interior line? Who replaces Kelly if he goes down and he has missed games the last couple years. Same with our guards. Was very surprised we left both Glowinski and Reed walk as I thought they were both very serviceable and Pinter could backup at both guard or center. I know Glow was overpaid but Reed if I recall didn't get much. Hope CB has a some plans as if is concerning and to me one of our very few weaknesses. As I look at our roster there is no backup center and Fries the only backup guard as he is listed as T/G on our roster.

33 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Is anyone else concerned about the depth of colts interior line? Who replaces Kelly if he goes down and he has missed games the last couple years. Same with our guards. Was very surprised we left both Glowinski and Reed walk as I thought they were both very serviceable and Pinter could backup at both guard or center. I know Glow was overpaid but Reed if I recall didn't get much. Hope CB has a some plans as if is concerning and to me one of our very few weaknesses. As I look at our roster there is no backup center and Fries the only backup guard as he is listed as T/G on our roster.

I tend to expect that we'll add a few vet FAs at some point between now and start of training camp. 

As I see it now, our starting 5 would be Pryor, Q, Kelly, Pinter, Smith. 

Raimann can play T or G, so can Fries. If Kelly gets hurt, Pinter goes to C, Fries/Raimann fills in at RG (or perhaps Pryor goes to RG and Fries/Raimann goes to LT).  My guess is Carter O'Donnell can play T/G if needed also.. and they the UDFA $175k, so they're definitely high on him.

If Q or Pinter get hurt, we'd see a similar scenario as above.  I don't think we'd be that bad if we had to temporarily replace one of them with Raimann or Fries (obviously a bigger drop-off without Q).

Where we would be screwed right now is if Kelly and Pinter were out at the same time. Hopefully that doesn't happen.. and I'd be shocked if we don't see at least a couple vet OL signed soon.

I have slight concern, but not a huge concern.

Glow was rock solid and Reed was an incredibly reliable backup.

But right now, Pinter/Fries would likely compete for the RG spot with the other being the top interior OL backup.

If Kelly misses time, I have 100% confidence in Pinter shifting to OC and then having Fries in at RG.

Also, if Raimann wins the LT job eventually, Pryor would become a top-notch backup at OT and OG since he can play any of the 4 spots.

We have signed a number of OT's in FA and an UDFA. Most of the time, when a guy can't make it at tackle he has a decent shot rotating to guard so if that is the plan come camp we have decent depth. Pinter can step in at center so my only real concern is the rare occurrence that both Kelly and Pinter get hurt at the same time, so I'd like to see us pick a serviceable veteran at C as insurance. 

Don't disagree that we have bodies but I'm concerned about how capable these guys are. Glow and Reed were veterans with lots of starting experience and Fries, Raimann, O'Donnell and Van Demark have never seen the field. I am believing we have a team that can make a long run this year but lack of depth can kill us.

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Easy.........Raimann takes over at LT........Pryor moves to RG...........Van Demark becomes the swing tackle..........Pinter and Fries are the primary LG/C/RG backups.......and 1 of the other 10 OLinemen battle it out for the 9th spot

Maybe

I think Raiman and Pryor will get reps at LT.....  the loser may head to RG

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

I think Pinter is going to be the right guard regardless of what happens at LT.  I think Pryor starts the year at LT but it wouldn’t shock me if at some point Raiman surpasses him.  

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

Ballard has already said the best 5 will start....and even mentioned that Pryor or Raimann could end up at Guard in his press conference. I they already view Raimann as a starter at LT (long term) and probably at RG (rookie year). 

But, we're all just prognosticating right now. Training Camp and pre-season games will determine what actually happens!

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

As of today, if Kelly goes down, I think Pinter moves to center, and Fries would take his spot.    OR….  If Raimann has improved enough, he might play RG….   OR….  Raimann might eventually take LT and Pryor could play RG.    I think we have options.  

That said….   I think Reed was signed about this time frame last year, so I would not be surprised to see us sign a veteran interior lineman or two in the next week or two.   I think those guys are still out there.   Hopefully we see results soon. 

To tell you the truth, I'm encouraged.

2021 Offensive Line

T Eric Fisher (starter), Sam Tevi, Julien Davenport

G Quentin Nelson (starter), Chris Reed

C Ryan Kelly (starter), Danny Pinter

G Mark Glowinski (starter)

T Braden Smith (starter), Matt Pryor, Will Fries

2022 Offensive Line

T Matt Pryor (starter), Bernhard Raimann

G Quentin Nelson (starter), Will Fries

C Ryan Kelly (starter)

G Danny Pinter (starter), Van Denmark

T Braden Smith (starter), Brandon Kemp

I think that a Pryor-Raimann combo at LT is an upgrade from the Fisher-Tevi-Davenport fiasco we had last year.

Time to give Ryor and Pintor starting time, since they earned it in relief of starter injuries last year.

I agree with most,Pinter goes to C if Kelly goes down.  We have outside guys we can move inside as also stated Pryor, Rain man. I think Murray or Coleman sticks outside,kinda worried we havent hear more position on O'Donnell after all this time. Van Demark got a nice signing bonus should stick outside as for French,Mollette,Seltzner hard to tell as of now what we got with them inside.

Don't disagree that we have bodies but I'm concerned about how capable these guys are. Glow and Reed were veterans with lots of starting experience and Fries, Raimann, O'Donnell and Van Demark have never seen the field. I am believing we have a team that can make a long run this year but lack of depth can kill us.

o-line looks like a mess for depth

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I tend to expect that we'll add a few vet FAs at some point between now and start of training camp. 

As I see it now, our starting 5 would be Pryor, Q, Kelly, Pinter, Smith. 

Raimann can play T or G, so can Fries. If Kelly gets hurt, Pinter goes to C, Fries/Raimann fills in at RG (or perhaps Pryor goes to RG and Fries/Raimann goes to LT).  My guess is Carter O'Donnell can play T/G if needed also.. and they the UDFA $175k, so they're definitely high on him.

If Q or Pinter get hurt, we'd see a similar scenario as above.  I don't think we'd be that bad if we had to temporarily replace one of them with Raimann or Fries (obviously a bigger drop-off without Q).

Where we would be screwed right now is if Kelly and Pinter were out at the same time. Hopefully that doesn't happen.. and I'd be shocked if we don't see at least a couple vet OL signed soon.

Also not sure like last 2 season Nelson went to Covid protocol each year so it is good to keep extra backups

Dennis Kelly visited. He’s started at Both Ts, and Guard. He was very good two years ago. Bigger/ Stronger/more experienced than any lineman we have except maybe Our other Kelly.

I'm betting Seltzner at least makes the Practice Squad at Guard.

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

yes another ballard fumble not signing our own

Not so sure.

I see Pinter as a Haeg with more potential.. that is, a Swiss army knife along our OL who has potential to be a good starter at RG. I think he has potential to be better than Glowinski (who was solid but pretty limited as far as athletic ability goes) and Reed.  If we brought those guys back, they'd either be backing up Pinter or we'd see Pinter go elsewhere and start next year. 

It's still not out of the realm of possibilities that Pinter remains a Swiss army knife backup if Raimann does well enough to start.  That would be a good problem to have, and if that is the case, I'd venture to guess that would mean Glow/Reed would be backups, too.

6 minutes ago, Hark said:

If it was September 1, I would be more concerned. Let's see what the new guys can do and add help through FA and cut downs when the time comes. Not too worried right now.

Exactly. After the draft, the value of OL in the FA market is going down. I wouldn't even be shocked if we brought Fisher back.. I don't think I'd be too concerned if our OL was as is come Sept 1 (more concerned at T depth than interior OL as Pinter and Fries can play C), but it's not like Ballard doesn't have time to make more improvements to the roster.

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Pinter is going to be the right guard regardless of what happens at LT.  I think Pryor starts the year at LT but it wouldn’t shock me if at some point Raiman surpasses him.  

It might go that way  

Who knows

The question would be

Is Danny Pinter better than Pryor ?

Is Danny Pinter better than Raiman?

If he is..... Pinter will be the starting RG

The coaches will have to sort it out......  The good thing is, that we SHOULD have decent depth on OL

The odds say that one or more of the OL will miss multiple games during the year due to injury.....

Pryor could play every spot on OL (Not sure about center)

Pinter could play all 3 interior spots

We will see how it works out

Raimann might need a little time.  If he can start at LT I do believe celebrations are in order.

To the OP injuries are part of the game and no team is so stocked on their offensive line that they can handle multiple guys going down.  It's that area where you need a little luck to run the table.

23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It might go that way  

Who knows

The question would be

Is Danny Pinter better than Pryor ?

Is Danny Pinter better than Raiman?

If he is..... Pinter will be the starting RG

The coaches will have to sort it out......  The good thing is, that we SHOULD have decent depth on OL

The odds say that one or more of the OL will miss multiple games during the year due to injury.....

Pryor could play every spot on OL (Not sure about center)

Pinter could play all 3 interior spots

We will see how it works out

Yeah my only real concern would be if Kelly gets hurt and Pinter is the starting right guard.  Yes they could move Pinter over to Center and start someone else at right guard but they tend to try to avoid changing multiple starters if they can.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see another center make the team if Pinter is the starting RG.

7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

With Kemp, Van Demark and Raimann I think we've improved across the O-line. Kemp can't be any worse than Tevi, can he? :lol:

Agreed

And more-so he absolutely, without any doubt in the entire world cannot be worse than Davenport lol

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of today, if Kelly goes down, I think Pinter moves to center, and Fries would take his spot.    OR….  If Raimann has improved enough, he might play RG….   OR….  Raimann might eventually take LT and Pryor could play RG.    I think we have options.  

That said….   I think Reed was signed about this time frame last year, so I would not be surprised to see us sign a veteran interior lineman or two in the next week or two.   I think those guys are still out there.   Hopefully we see results soon. 

Agreed

And man, would I love to bring in Nate Herbig now that the Eagles granted him his release.

That would be quite a depth/competition signing. 

32 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed

And man, would I love to bring in Nate Herbig now that the Eagles granted him his release.

That would be quite a depth/competition signing. 

Yeah….  I was surprised to see Herbig released.   I don’t know know if he fits our zone blocking movement line play?   I think his style is more power based.   But this kid is a people mover….  About 6’4” and 340-350.  

I have to believe he lands somewhere….

My 2 cents is the fan base reaction is overblown and we have the right players in-house to field a solid OL rotation.  Pinter obviously last season stepped up big and we know he will be a valuable contributor right away while leaning heavily on both Pryor and Raimann getting bulk playing time.

Both UDFAs Van Demark and French should add depth and be capable options.  Coleman has been around for a while now and although he hasn't taken the field since 2016-2017 he should be ready to step in and play.  Still a lot of unknowns with Kemp, O'Donnell, and Murray with Fries in the mix as well as deep OL bench players.  Obviously our Club will get a better feel of how each player performs and which position they are best suited for during camp.  Still a chance we might sign LT Duane Brown.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  I was surprised to see Herbig released.   I don’t know know if he fits our zone blocking movement line play?   I think his style is more power based.   But this kid is a people mover….  About 6’4” and 340-350.  

I have to believe he lands somewhere….

I admit I have not dove in on Herbig specifically, but the Eagles run a wide array of run blocking schemes. It’s what makes them so versatile. All that being said the scheme they run most is inside zone. A guy like Herbig running inside zone w Kelly and Q would be nice. 

I also admit that I haven’t seen a breakdown of if we run inside zone or outside zone more. Either way we could do a lot worse than a guy like him as a depth piece. 

Looking ahead to 2023 FA class the OL market should have some decent players become available or potentially even early trade targets if we think our backups are not capable.  Without being scheme specific not sure how many of the following would be ideal fits to what we are running but have also researched their RAS to find candidates with PFF grades over 60s and RAS over 8.0 noted:

LT Trey Pipkins (Chargers) - RAS 8.86

RT Korey Cunningham (Giants) RAS 9.87

RT Elgton Jenkins (Packers) RAS 9.34

LT Calvin Anderson (Broncos) RAS 8.70

LG/RG Phil Haynes (Seahawks) RAS 9.26

C Evan Brown (Lions) RAS 9.33 

LG Connor McGovern (Cowboys) RAS 9.77 

RT Germain Ifedi (Falcons) RAS 8.51

• Shive changed the title to Depth of Colts interior OL
7 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Looking ahead to 2023 FA class the OL market should have some decent players become available or potentially even early trade targets if we think our backups are not capable.  Without being scheme specific not sure how many of the following would be ideal fits to what we are running but have also researched their RAS to find candidates with PFF grades over 60s and RAS over 8.0 noted:

LT Trey Pipkins (Chargers) - RAS 8.86

RT Korey Cunningham (Giants) RAS 9.87

RT Elgton Jenkins (Packers) RAS 9.34

LT Calvin Anderson (Broncos) RAS 8.70

LG/RG Phil Haynes (Seahawks) RAS 9.26

C Evan Brown (Lions) RAS 9.33 

LG Connor McGovern (Cowboys) RAS 9.77 

RT Germain Ifedi (Falcons) RAS 8.51

Jenkins is going to get paid huge money I think. 

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Raimann seems like a perfect candidate to get time at G as a rookie if there is an injury. Pass pro is still developing, but he can maul in the run game.

Yet i understand that pass pro is his strength and that he is not at all a mauler in the run game.

Ideally he is our RT and Smith moves to RG. 

Or he could win the LT job and Pryor plays RT or RG. 

11 hours ago, OhioColt said:

My 2 cents is the fan base reaction is overblown and we have the right players in-house to field a solid OL rotation.  Pinter obviously last season stepped up big and we know he will be a valuable contributor right away while leaning heavily on both Pryor and Raimann getting bulk playing time.

Both UDFAs Van Demark and French should add depth and be capable options.  Coleman has been around for a while now and although he hasn't taken the field since 2016-2017 he should be ready to step in and play.  Still a lot of unknowns with Kemp, O'Donnell, and Murray with Fries in the mix !as well as deep OL bench players.  Obviously our Club will get a better feel of how each player performs and which position they are best suited for during camp.  Still a chance we might sign LT Duane Brown.

Excellent!  We look to be in a very good situation with our OL.

Archived