Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Infusion of Talent - All RAS Scores Available

Scott Pennock

Prior to the weekend we had 64 players signed to the roster, which leaves 26 spots open. We drafted 8 players, signed 21 priority UDFA's and invited another 18 to rookie mini camp this coming weekend. There are a few UDFA's that will push the needle on the backend of the roster (Price, Van Denmark, Weatherford, Coan, Domann, Borghi) while there are two draft picks that may need some seasoning on the PS (Ogletree and Thomas)

As you can see below all 8 draft picks scored over a 9 on their RAS which gives us the most athletic draft class overall for 2022, not and easy thing to do when not drafting in the 1st Round. 

Draft Picks = 8

Jelani Woods, TE Virginia - 10.00 RAS

Nick Cross, S Maryland - 9.87 RAS

Bernhard Raimann, OT Central Michigan - 9.86 RAS

Alec Pierce, WR Cincinnati - 9.82 RAS

Curtis Brooks, DL Cincinnati - 9.52 RAS

Eric Johnson, DL Missouri State - 9.39 RAS

Andrew Ogletree, TE Youngstown State - 9.36 RAS

Rodney Thomas, CB Yale - 9.25 RAS

Among the priority UDFA's there are a few guys rocking that 9 and above mark on the RAS as well (plus Weatherford who is REALLY close), which almost all of these guys had draftable grades on them - just lucky for us that the year we really need to add to the depth is the year all the COVID year players are available.

Priority UDFA's = 21

D’vonte Price, RB Florida International - 9.74 RAS

Wesley French, OL WMU - 9.65 RAS

Dallis Flowers, CB Pittsburg State - 9.50 RAS

Cullen Wick, DE Tulsa - 9.45 RAS

Ryan Van Demark, OT UConn - 9.44 RAS

Scott Patchan, DE Colorado State - 9.14 RAS

Sterling Weatherford, S Miami (OH) - 8.96 RAS

Samson Nacua, WR BYU - 8.06 RAS

Forrest Rhyne, LB Villanova - 7.69 RAS

Jack Coan, QB Notre Dame - 7.68 RAS

JoJo Domann, OLB Nebraska - 7.66 RAS

Caeveon Patton, DT Texas State - 7.65 RAS

Max Borghi, RB Washington State - 7.56 RAS

James Skalski, LB Clemson - 6.48 RAS

Kekoa Crawford, WR Cal - 6.05 RAS

Michael Young Jr., WR Cincinnati - 5.44 RAS

C.J. Verdell, RB Oregon State - 2.33 RAS

Trevor Denbow, S SMU - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1024823&DraftYear=2022

Alex Mollette, OL Marshall - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1025602&DraftYear=2022

Josh Seltzner, OL Wisconsin - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1022755&DraftYear=2022

McKinley ‘Bear’ Williams, DL Syracuse - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1028342&DraftYear=2022

And even amongst the tryout guys there is an Olineman rocking that 9+ RAS plus three Kickers and a Punter!

Tryouts for Rookie Minicamp = 18

Chris Glaser, OG Virginia - 9.59 RAS

Drew Plitt, QB Ball State - 3.76 RAS

Jackson Anthrop, WR Purdue - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1023156&DraftYear=2022

Caleb Carter, LB Southern - http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1052808&DraftYear=2022

Isaiah Chambers, Edge McNeese State - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1017282&DraftYear=2022

Cedrick Cunningham Jr., DB Army - http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1025538&DraftYear=2022

Evan Holm, CB North Dakota - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1056160&DraftYear=2022

MJ Dumas, OL Villanova - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1051511&DraftYear=2022

Grant Dixon, LB Youngstown State - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1018634&DraftYear=2022

David Kroll, OL Delaware - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1039021&DraftYear=2022

Jah-Maine Martin, RB North Carolina A&T - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003458&DraftYear=2022

Beau Morris, OL SMU - http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1002642&DraftYear=2022

Lucky Oyovwi, Edge Charleston - https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1056398&DraftYear=2022

Grayson Atkins, PK North Carolina

Race Porter, P Washington

Seth Small, PK Texas A&M

Lukas Havrisik, PK Arizona

Tim Wilson Jr., WR/TE Southeastern Louisiana - 

It's telling how fans sometimes judge picks through

Need

Starter

Help this season

when sometimes.....players can be drafted for

support

influence

inspiration

competition

Gems also come from the later group. 

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I thought everyone on the boards knew that my favorite player in the draft was Smoke Monday.  He didn't get drafted, and signed a UFA contract with the Saints.

Ahhhh okay my bad, I did not know that! LOL Something can be said for production in the SEC versus a good athlete from a smaller school though.....

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I thought everyone on the boards knew that my favorite player in the draft was Smoke Monday.  He didn't get drafted, and signed a UFA contract with the Saints.

Why would anyone know or care who your favorite player is.

5 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Why would anyone know or care who your favorite player is.

Because we're not all internet trolls or message board flamers here.  Some of us are, you know, people.  Who care about each other's interests and thoughts and ideas.  Who talk to each other, not at each other.  Some of us are, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Need

Starter

Help this season

support

influence

inspiration

competition

Our first three picks were definitely a need, the fact that they were productive athletes as well is just a bonus.

Nick Cross is a luxury at this point who WILL become a starter sooner rather than later. I refer to him as the love child of what a healthy Bob Sanders and Malik Hooker would have been - fast, heavy hitter, CFer type Safety

Ogletree is a flyer based on athletic ability and will likely be groomed (on the PS) to be Mo Alie-Cox's replacement in 2 years.  

Rodney Thomas II is similar to Odum (when he was drafted) in that he played CB, S and the Rover hybrid S/LB role at Yale. Interestingly enough pre-draft he was spoken of as a S and post draft he is now being talked about as a CB......so another Marvell Tell experiment based on intelligence and measurables.

The two interior DLineman I believe make the squad as depth very easily since all of Rochell, Stallworth and Woods were not re-signed. 

Ryan Van Denmark I think will end up being our swing tackle as an UDFA

Both Jo Jo Domann and Sterling Weatherford has a shot as a special teams ace and hybrid S/LB as UDFA's

Jack Coan will likely end up on the PS as the Scout Team QB as an UDFA

D'Vonte Price and Max Borghi could supplant Johnson as the #3 behind JT and Hines as UDFA's

Dallis Flowers makes the PS more than likely as a size/speed/length CB to groom as an UDFA

The main thing is there will be roughly 26 rookies coming in and trying their hardest to take someone's job mow or in the near future! That will only make he bottom of the roster that much better!

A guy to watch this offseason is Jackson Anthrop from Purdue. He had a great freshman year and then battled some injuries for a few years.....but seemed to regain his form last year. I think he has what it takes to be a good slot in the NFL if he can stay healthy and develop his route running. 

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Because we're not all internet trolls or message board flamers here.  Some of us are, you know, people.  Who care about each other's interests and thoughts and ideas.  Who talk to each other, not at each other.  Some of us are, anyway.

That must be why nobody had a clue who you were talking about.

40 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Need

Starter

Help this season

support

influence

inspiration

competition

Sorry….    I’m lost… 

In your second set of words, I get competition.   But the other three words I don’t follow?   How do they factor into football via the draft?   Can you elaborate please? 

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

So next year just look at RAS scores to see who the Colts are going to pick 

Sorry just ruined it 

997eb107b642389433409b0e05a19c9b.gif

It's always been a thing with them. Team Captains as well. 32" arms for CB's plus 6'0" tall. 34 inch arms for LB's. 34 inch arms for lineman as well. WRs at 6'0" tall or more, guys who win 50/50 balls. That can help narrow things down for your prognosticating. Also, what makes them unique? Pierce with his Volleyball background? Raimann with soccer feet and only two years into being a LT (kinda like Pinter) shows they are coachable and still going to get better. Cross and his 4.34 speed plus hitting power. Jelani Woods was a QB and then a FB and now a TE but obviously is an athletic freak.....but yes, wink, wink, wink......lol

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….    I’m lost… 

In your second set of words, I get competition.   But the other three words I don’t follow?   How do they factor into football via the draft?   Can you elaborate please? 

They are words I chose to try and represent aspects of culture building. I agree with the OP, but I disagree with those who feel that RAS was the only thing these young men were drafted for. 

30 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Banogu had a nearly perfect RAS…

Lime green boxes are nice, but it’s definitely not a guarantee of success. 

Very true - he started out well as a rookie and then just fell off and seems like he got in Flus' doghouse.....I'd be interested to see how he does in the LEO spot with this coaching staff. Jerry Hughes had an 8.79 and we gave up on him and he went to Buffalo and has balled out for about the last 8+ years.....sometimes the light turns on with different voices and scheme? I'm willing to let Banogu have another year to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

They are words I chose to try and represent aspects of culture building. I agree with the OP, but I disagree with those who feel that RAS was the only thing these young men were drafted for. 

Very true. They were not all drafted to be difference makers, solid depth, competitive fire and get the job done (lunch pail) mentalities can be found in a 5th round pick or UDFA that helps the roster more than their individual athletic skills do.

I've been thrilled with the "draft grades" that I've seen and read.

One pundit indicated that the Colts had the "most athletic" draft class of 2022.

Welcome to our new players - I can hardly wait to see your skill sets on display on the playing field.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Very true. They were not all drafted to be difference makers, solid depth, competitive fire and get the job done (lunch pail) mentalities can be found in a 5th round pick or UDFA that helps the roster more than their individual athletic skills do.

Yeah, I have wondered if maybe Banogu was something scheme based. The fact that they kept him after Flus’ departure makes it at least plausible. 

It means they have a better chance of doing well because of their attributes.  It doesn’t guarantee success, but it sure helps to push the needle to that player.  

Does anyone know the scores for the current team, besides BB?   What was Leonard’s, Moore’s, JTs, etc….  Guys that we know can play, not just test?

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Nice review.

And also a pretty good case for why certain beloved players that will remain nameless, but who had a 6.47 RAS score didn't get picked.

Ras means nothing randy moss, Antonio  brown,  Terrell owens,Hilton and many other great wrs had 7.03 or lower ras and were great. Darrius  Heyward bey and don't moncrief are two examples of  high ras that didn't  work

49 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It means they have a better chance of doing well because of their attributes.  It doesn’t guarantee success, but it sure helps to push the needle to that player.  

Does anyone know the scores for the current team, besides BB?   What was Leonard’s, Moore’s, JTs, etc….  Guys that we know can play, not just test?

I have that info…..lol

The Maniacs is skewed because he performed it with a quad injury or maybe a bad hammy so his is lower than it should be.

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Ras means nothing randy moss, Antonio  brown,  Terrell owens,Hilton and many other great wrs had 7.03 or lower ras and were great. Darrius  Heyward bey and don't moncrief are two examples of  high ras that didn't  work

Not true at all. RAS gives you a floor athletically to measure a player when coupled with the other metrics the front office uses like height, arm length, team captaincy, and other unique skills like a wrestling background for lineman, or soccer or volleyball.

Ballard has stated in the past that he has league wide data on certain positions and how a player is more likely to succeed based off of those data points. 

I do agree with you that some players can outplay their RAS because of their intelligence and their heart! 

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

RAS is everything = Wrong

RAS is nothing = Wrong

The world lies in between, almost always "100%" is wrong.

I had no idea the team was bringing in Jah-Maine Martin for rookie minicamp. He was among my favorite pre-season sleeper prospects heading into this past season, and while he did fall back to earth, I still see potential for him to stick as a 3rd/4th back, or at the very least on the PS!

12 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I had no idea the team was bringing in Jah-Maine Martin for rookie minicamp. He was among my favorite pre-season sleeper prospects heading into this past season, and while he did fall back to earth, I still see potential for him to stick as a 3rd/4th back, or at the very least on the PS!

Yea him and borghhi tape looks good. Couldn't  find much on price

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I have not added in this off-seasons trades, free agents, draft and UDFA's but the average RAS for the roster before updating it is 8.30.  The irony in that is that the two lowest RAS are Matt Pryor at 2.79 and Darius Leonard at 4.90 (which he was injured while performing the drills). Kenny Moore's is a 7.07, JT's is a 9.53.

If desired I could list the entire 90 man roster (likely updated after this weekends mini camp) with their RAS scores next week?

18 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

RAS is our new head scout. 

Lol. This draft is definitely going to define Ballard's legacy more than the Nelson Leonard draft I think. He went for the moon in terms of athletic ability but man it is quite a leap.

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. This draft is definitely going to define Ballard's legacy more than the Nelson Leonard draft I think. He went for the moon in terms of athletic ability but man it is quite a leap.

I love this draft on paper. Ballard IMO drafted how I would and by trading for Matt and Yannick is something I would've done as well. Matt was the best QB available at that time and we needed a pass rusher and got it with Yannick. I personally love the Pierce pick, I think he will be good.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love this draft on paper. Ballard IMO drafted how I would and by trading for Matt and Yannick is something I would've done as well. Matt was the best QB available at that time and we needed a pass rusher and got it with Yannick. I personally love the Pierce pick, I think he will be good.

I like  the moves for the most part. Pierce probably  has  more upside  than Moore 

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I like  the moves for the most part. Pierce probably  has  more upside  than Moore 

I would've been ok with Moore too. Moore will probably have a better a rookie year statistically because he has Mahomes at QB and they lost Hill. I do think Matt Ryan is good though and he may find good chemistry with Pierce by mid-season. Pittman and Hines should have a very good to great season with Matt.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love all the pick on paper as well. I also loved the TJ Green pick and that flopped. I am just tempering my enthusiasm. 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love all the pick on paper as well. I also loved the TJ Green pick and that flopped. I am just tempering my enthusiasm. 

Not every pick works out. TJ didn't, we will see how these guys do. I was mixed when we picked TJ, great athletically but I wasn't sure if he could be a good football player, he wasn't unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not every pick works out. TJ didn't, we will see how these guys do. I was mixed when we picked TJ, great athletically but I wasn't sure if he could be a good football player, he wasn't unfortunately.

We all get excited about picks and I think even more so this year. We lost our 1st  rounder and we  had 4 3rd round picks,  which kind of made up for it. We see all the traits and  are blown away by them. People have to remember that 31 teams bypassed most of these guys for a reason.  I am really interested to see how this draft turn  out. It is pretty obvious that Ballard went to the extreme in preferring traits. What is funny is that this is a draft that a lot of draft gurus would love and that scares me lol.

Archived