Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Matt Ryan is the perfect fit now

Mr. Irrelevant

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Taylor is a great RB, better than what ATL had last season. but we're talking about QB passing performance. Both QBs had about the same support in that aspect. 

I do believe Ryan will be re-energized and do a lot better than he did last season. My gut agrees with your gut. I'm just not going to discount the recent history. And key to it more than anything is our OL play. 

I'll add some advanced stat factoids.

• In terms of pressure throws, Carson was under pressure more than Ryan, although it was close.
  • They also threw similar quantities of interceptable balls (26 vs 28)
  • both had identical danger plays (31). But Wentz clearly had the better TD/INT ratio and %s.
  • Both had top 10 deep ball completion rates, but neither were top 15 in deep ball attempts (both seemed to be underutilized deep).
  • Carson ranked much better in money throws than Ryan (9th vs 20th) but Ryan is ranked better in terms of accuracy rating.
  • Ryan was among the worst (31st) in Red Zone accuracy (31st), vs Wentz #18
  • Ryan was better in pressured-completion-rate, but Wentz was average. 
  • Ryan was #14 (passer rating) vs Man D and #24 vs Zone. Wentz was 18th and 16th respectively. 

Overall, a lot of similarities, and a lot of differences. I do think Ryan will fit Reich's short passing game better than Wentz. Better accuracy overall, especially short. Conversely, Ryan is a statue and won't extend plays (so a lot like Rivers). OL improvement is key. 

Great stats and points. I just see Matt as a better fit for our offense. I think he can make the layups. Wentz just never has. I am not a Wentz hater. I even defended him at times when he was playing well. I even argued with a few people he was better than Tannehill. We will see how 2022 pans out, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we won 11 or 12 games with Matt.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, SoGaFalc said:

You guys are going to love Matty Ice. As a Falcon fan I hated to see the franchise’s best player ever to leave but happy that he will have an opportunity to win a ring with you guys. He has never played alongside a decent defense for all of his Falcons career and mostly played with low level running backs and bad offensive lines.  

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me to see Coack Reich to bring the K gun into your offense. Matt has done some of his best work in no huddle and he certainly has the intelligence  to run it well. 

Normally I would say best of luck on the upcoming season but you guys don’t need it. As long as the injury bug doesn’t bite, you guys will go deep in the playoffs. 

Also from Atlanta now Colts fan. Ryan just needs a good OL and OC to work with him and good things will happen.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, love Ryan. He did not have a great year last season though, and he is getting older.

So let's be factual and look at last years primary success/quality indicators. 

Ryan               Wentz

QBR                     21st                 9th (was #2 games 5 through 15)               

Pass Rating         18th                 13th

TD/INT               20/12                27/7

While I love Ryan, and super happy we lucked into getting him, I'm not going to sunshine pump......

Overall, it's simply intellectual dishonesty to ignore the basic facts. 

And I'd say our D and OL blew more games than Wentz last season.

Last yr the Falcon had the worst OL in the league. Ryan was either sacked (over 40 last 4yrs) or under pressure on most every play, but never missed a game.  The 3 yrs before were just about as bad, including bad HC & OC coaching. I am from Atlanta, I had to watch these games. If anyone will have a chip on thier shoulder this yr, it will be Ryan

On 5/7/2022 at 7:43 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Coaches were just as involved in that loss.

With the lead..... in the second half..... The Falcons were snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the play clock.......

Again and again

Of course the coaches were involved, they were playing the cheaters. 

Wasn't the first time or last that opposing coaches had Brain cramps and questionable gameplans against them.

24 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Of course the coaches were involved, they were playing the cheaters. 

Wasn't the first time or last that opposing coaches had Brain cramps and questionable gameplans against them.

Yes, Matt Ryan could've easily handed the ball off 3 times in a row and the Falcons kick a FG = very true. Falcons could've missed the FG though which many don't factor in. The Coaches called different plays and Matt with the confidence he had went a long with it is my guess and wanted to go for the kill. A moment that Matt will never forget and it keeps him motivated = good for us.

3 hours ago, TheShadow said:

Last yr the Falcon had the worst OL in the league. Ryan was either sacked (over 40 last 4yrs) or under pressure on most every play, but never missed a game.  The 3 yrs before were just about as bad, including bad HC & OC coaching. I am from Atlanta, I had to watch these games. If anyone will have a chip on thier shoulder this yr, it will be Ryan

We have very intelligent posters in here but for some reason when some compare stats QB vs QB, they don't factor in the roster they played with. Atlanta had nowhere the roster we had last year. Matt Ryan will tear it up with Taylor and Hines + our D can stop the run and create turnovers at a high rate giving the offense several chances to score. I think with Matt at QB, Pittman may catch 100 passes.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have very intelligent posters in here but for some reason when some compare stats QB vs QB, they don't factor in the roster they played with. Atlanta had nowhere the roster we had last year. Matt Ryan will tear it up with Taylor and Hines + our D can stop the run and create turnovers at a high rate giving the offense several chances to score. I think with Matt at QB, Pittman may catch 100 passes.

… IF our Oline with 2 new starters improve significantly over last years performance. That’s big questionmark i my book. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

… IF our Oline with 2 new starters improve significantly over last years performance. That’s big questionmark i my book. 

Nelson was probably around 75% healthy last year, he will be at 100% this year. Kelly had several issues going on too - he should be 100%, and if Pryor can just be above average we are home IMO. Difference between Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz is, Matt will take what is there and not force things. I think Hines will have a career year in catches.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nelson was probably around 75% healthy last year, he will be at 100% this year. Kelly had several issues going on too - he should be 100%, and if Pryor can just be above average we are home IMO. Difference between Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz is, Matt will take what is there and not force things. I think Hines will have a career year in catches.

That’s still a lot of ifs. 

-Nelson has to be 100% and has to stay healthy. 
-Kelly has to be 100%, stay healthy and reverse his 2 year decline in production. 
-Pryor has his work cut out for him. Him being able to be at least average and stay at least average throughout the season is still a big wish from someone who hasn’t started at one position for an entire season. I have high hopes for him, but we’re asking a lot from this guy. 
-Pinter has prove he can be a starter just like Pryor. 
-On top of all that these guys have to gel from week 1, because if we drop 3-5 games early this season vould be wasted. 

Matt is definitely better at handling pressure but he hasn’t exactly performed well under pressure playing with Atlanta’s Oline these last couple of seasons. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

That’s still a lot of ifs. 

-Nelson has to be 100% and has to stay healthy. 
-Kelly has to be 100%, stay healthy and reverse his 2 year decline in production. 
-Pryor has his work cut out for him. Him being able to be at least average and stay at least average throughout the season is still a big wish from someone who hasn’t started at one position for an entire season. I have high hopes for him, but we’re asking a lot from this guy. 
-Pinter has prove he can be a starter just like Pryor. 
-On top of all that these guys have to gel from week 1, because if we drop 3-5 games early this season vould be wasted. 

Matt is definitely better at handling pressure but he hasn’t exactly performed well under pressure playing with Atlanta’s Oline these last couple of seasons. 

Good points but Matt is Matt Ice for a reason freeze GIF

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great stats and points. I just see Matt as a better fit for our offense. I think he can make the layups. Wentz just never has. I am not a Wentz hater. I even defended him at times when he was playing well. I even argued with a few people he was better than Tannehill. We will see how 2022 pans out, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we won 11 or 12 games with Matt.

I tend to agree Ryan is a better fit for Reich's conservative passing offense. I think the whole missed layup thing is widely over-used. Keep in mind that the "layup" is normally the 3rd or 4th read. And our OL sucked badly at times and made it much harder to get through progressions. Sure Wentz could have been better at hitting the outlet, but if you look at his stats and pass charts, he hit plenty of layups through the year. The folks that constantly harp on layups, and open guys, are typically the folks that simply reverberate something (Ballard's comments) without watching the film and comparing it to other QBs with similar OL issues or similar WR/TE deficiency. And most fail to consider the impact of an O scheme that is highly focused on short stuff, which let's Ds cheat up and clog level 1. Every QB has an open WR/TE/RB at some point in the 3 seconds a play happens. It comes down to timing. If your first two reads are on the right side of the field, your hot read (layup) is your 4th read on the left side, and your LT allows a pressure, you don't even have 3 seconds, and if the timing isn't correct (guy gets open (according to the read progression), the layup is not really a layup. Anyway, folks parroting Ballard's comments fail to acknowledge Wentz was very good Game 5-15, 2nd in the league in fact in QBR over that period. If he missed layups, he was hitting a lot of jump shots and slam dunks over that duration. 

6 hours ago, TheShadow said:

Pass pro, Indy was arguably worse. PFF had Indy at 30th pass pro, and ATL 29th.

So I'm not gong are over who was worse. Both were bad. 

And in reading up on Ryan and their OL last season, keep in mind sometimes the QB is attributed/responsible for the pressure.

Also, consider Ryan and Wentz's time to throw is very similar (only 0.06 difference). Given that Wentz if pretty mobile, and Ryan is a statue, you can assume that Wentz extended a lot more plays that Ryan (helping reduce the sack total). 

Falcons are my local market. I've went to plenty of games pre-Covid, and watch them almost every week. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I tend to agree Ryan is a better fit for Reich's conservative passing offense. I think the whole missed layup thing is widely over-used. Keep in mind that the "layup" is normally the 3rd or 4th read. And our OL sucked badly at times and made it much harder to get through progressions. Sure Wentz could have been better at hitting the outlet, but if you look at his stats and pass charts, he hit plenty of layups through the year. The folks that constantly harp on layups, and open guys, are typically the folks that simply reverberate something (Ballard's comments) without watching the film and comparing it to other QBs with similar OL issues or similar WR/TE deficiency. And most fail to consider the impact of an O scheme that is highly focused on short stuff, which let's Ds cheat up and clog level 1. Every QB has an open WR/TE/RB at some point in the 3 seconds a play happens. It comes down to timing. If your first two reads are on the right side of the field, your hot read (layup) is your 4th read on the left side, and your LT allows a pressure, you don't even have 3 seconds, and if the timing isn't correct (guy gets open (according to the read progression), the layup is not really a layup. Anyway, folks parroting Ballard's comments fail to acknowledge Wentz was very good Game 5-15, 2nd in the league in fact in QBR over that period. If he missed layups, he was hitting a lot of jump shots and slam dunks over that duration. 

Wentz was actually terrible vs the Pats, we won because of defense and Taylor. Wentz played like JB in that game. Of course, plenty of QB's have missed layups but we should've beat the Jags with no problem and they treated us like a high school team. No way Peyton loses that game.

If we give Wentz credit for beating the Pats, then we need give Jacoby credit for beating the Chiefs in 2019. Same difference. Look at the stats:

Jacoby = 18-29, 151 yards, 1 INT, no TD's vs Chiefs

Wentz = 5-12, 57 Yards, 1 INT, 1 TD vs the Pats

@EastStreetstats don't lie, if you give Wentz credit for that craptastic performance then kneel to Jacoby for his vs the Chiefs lmao . Jacoby actually had a better game, I remember you and others saying Jacoby wasn't near the reason why we won vs KC because of statsThe Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

1 minute ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I can't wait for the season to start!  Matty ice should do well with this offense, though LT is still a concern. 
"Q" being paid like one won't fix it, at LG....The Colts need a real LT.

I can't wait either so these haters will disappear brother. We are going to win the division and will make the AFC Title Game = final 4. If we lose in the Final 4 it is what it is because that is the best of the best. Nothing to get trolled on. Hell we may pull a Cincy or LA. I love our roster.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we give Wentz credit for beating the Pats, then we need give Jacoby credit for beating the Chiefs in 2019. Same difference. Look at the stats:

@EastStreetstats don't lie, if you give Wentz credit for that craptastic performance then kneel to Jacoby for his vs the Chiefs lmao . Jacoby actually had a better game, I remember you and others saying Jacoby wasn't near the reason why we won vs KC because of statsThe Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Wentz was horrible  the pats game I'm sure Ryan can beat that

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz was actually terrible vs the Pats, we won because of defense and Taylor. Wentz played like JB in that game. Of course, plenty of QB's have missed layups but we should've beat the Jags with no problem and they treated us like a high school team. No way Peyton loses that game.

How bout we add some context to the NE game.

NE was arguably the best pass D in the league last season.

Ryan Kelly was out that game, so pretty clear we'd be concerned about the passing game to start with.

Pittman was shut down by Jackson and other double teams.

Wentz only threw threw like 10ish passes that whole game lol... Taylor got 30ish runs. Pretty clear what the game plan was. 

Pats had a rook QB, and lost one of their top WRs (Agholor and also lost Harry), and were without their best RB.

As far as the Jags loss. It was horrible all the way around. The entire team was pathetic, as was the coaching and game plan. Luck lost to the Jags. So did Rivers.... 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dude, your reaching big time here and gong way off topic. Why would you bring JB and KC into this discussion. 

1 hour ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I can't wait for the season to start!  Matty ice should do well with this offense, though LT is still a concern. 
"Q" being paid like one won't fix it, at LG....The Colts need a real LT.

Yeah.  Two years running now where I'm wondering what to expect at a keystone position.  And the worst thing about it this year is Ryan doesn't handle pressure well.

What's going to happen most likely is they need to scheme in rubs from the TEs and WRs, and focusing protection first will limit the offense a bit.  Also history shows that if you don't have a certain floor at LT you'll still give up pressures even with the help.

I have enormous respect for both Chris and Frank but LT has the potential to be that fly in the ointment for them that keeps them from being a deep playoff contender.  If you think I'm being dramatic here feel free to queue up some tape of Von Miller last year in the playoffs.  He'll be coming off that edge for Buffalo and throwing a rub at him isn't going to get it done.

22 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Yeah.  Two years running now where I'm wondering what to expect at a keystone position.  And the worst thing about it this year is Ryan doesn't handle pressure well.

What's going to happen most likely is they need to scheme in rubs from the TEs and WRs, and focusing protection first will limit the offense a bit.  Also history shows that if you don't have a certain floor at LT you'll still give up pressures even with the help.

I have enormous respect for both Chris and Frank but LT has the potential to be that fly in the ointment for them that keeps them from being a deep playoff contender.  If you think I'm being dramatic here feel free to queue up some tape of Von Miller last year in the playoffs.  He'll be coming off that edge for Buffalo and throwing a rub at him isn't going to get it done.

We've run a ton of rubs with WRs the last few years, and I expect the same. For instance, in most games, Dulin was a rub king, rarely an actual passing target. That, and simply running clear-outs for the short pass to another WR or TE. 

I'm less concerned about Pryor at LT than I am with Ryan Kelly's regression lately. Pryor graded well at both LT starts he had, as well as the starts he had at RT and G. Not that I'm expecting a pro-bowl type season from him, but he's an easy upgrade over Fisher from what we saw of both last season. IMO, Reich held onto Fisher way too long into the season when it was clear he wasn't improving much at all in pass pro. It would have been nice to see Pryor get more starts at LT so that we had a better sample size. But the small two game sample we have, he played very well. 

And yes, Ryan is a statue, so the days of play-extension are pretty much over for us. We're back to the Rivers stuff. The only problem I see, is that Rivers had a much quicker trigger than Ryan. Ryan's time-to-throw is only a hair off Wentz's (0.06 secs). Ryan was not awful under pressure, but he was near league worst in RZ completion rate last season. Both Wentz and Ryan had bottom 5 pass protection last season. 

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We've run a ton of rubs with WRs the last few years, and I expect the same. For instance, in most games, Dulin was a rub king, rarely an actual passing target. That, and simply running clear-outs for the short pass to another WR or TE. 

I'm less concerned about Pryor at LT than I am with Ryan Kelly's regression lately. Pryor graded well at both LT starts he had, as well as the starts he had at RT and G. Not that I'm expecting a pro-bowl type season from him, but he's an easy upgrade over Fisher from what we saw of both last season. IMO, Reich held onto Fisher way too long into the season when it was clear he wasn't improving much at all in pass pro. It would have been nice to see Pryor get more starts at LT so that we had a better sample size. But the small two game sample we have, he played very well. 

And yes, Ryan is a statue, so the days of play-extension are pretty much over for us. We're back to the Rivers stuff. The only problem I see, is that Rivers had a much quicker trigger than Ryan. Ryan's time-to-throw is only a hair off Wentz's (0.06 secs). Ryan was not awful under pressure, but he was near league worst in RZ completion rate last season. Both Wentz and Ryan had bottom 5 pass protection last season. 

Hmmn...  I thought Deshaun Watson was? 

:funny:

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Facts statistically GIF by The Simpsons

Dude, JB has zero to do with the conversation about Wentz and Ryan. 

And JB played with a top 3 OL, where both Wentz and Ryan had bottom 5 pass pros. 

It's a huge reach that has zero relevance. 

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Dude, JB has zero to do with the conversation about Wentz and Ryan. 

And JB played with a top 3 OL, where both Wentz and Ryan had bottom 5 pass pros. 

It's a huge reach that has zero relevance. 

JB beat KC with bad stats and my point was if you give Wentz credit for beating the Pats, then JB should get credit for beating KC which you and many others didn't. It has relevance Surprised Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons. Just say you give Wentz 0 credit for beating the Pats and I will say I give 0 credit to JB for beating KC. Lets keep it real now.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB beat KC with bad stats and my point was if you give Wentz credit for beating the Pats, then JB should get credit for beating KC which you and many others didn't. It has relevance Surprised Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons. Just say you give Wentz 0 credit for beating the Pats and I will say I give 0 credit to JB for beating KC. Lets keep it real now.

Your problem is that KC's pass D stunk, and KC was with their key players on O.

With NE, their pass D was arguably the best in the league, and were also missing key players on O.

It's not even remotely comparable. 

And I never said I give Wentz credit for NE. I said he barely was used. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Your problem is that KC's pass D stunk, and KC was with their key players on O.

With NE, their pass D was arguably the best in the league, and were also missing key players on O.

It's not even remotely comparable. 

And I never said I give Wentz credit for NE. I said he barely was used. 

Your last sentence is all I needed. You made my point. Wentz stunk against teams statistically that were good = Bills, Pats, Tennessee 2nd game, Raiders, Jags - but they stunk. I just remember people bagging on JB in here for playing bad in similar games.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Your last sentence is all I needed. You made my point. Wentz stunk against teams statistically that were good = Bills, Pats, Tennessee 2nd game, Raiders, Jags - but they stunk. I just remember people bagging on JB in here for playing bad in similar games.

SMH. I wish you'd actually look at stats before you post sometimes. 

SF and AZ were both considered good pass Ds, and were top 5ish in passing yards allowed. Wentz had 100+ PR rating vs both. 

He didn't look bad against every good D. 

As far as NE is concerned, Wentz was barely used. We went short passing like we normally do, and NE's DBs, likely the best in the league, shut our guys down, especially Pittman. Jackson gave Pittman zero space. BB new exactly what Reich was going to do in the passing game. And given Kelly was out, it made sense to try and pound the ball running. Add in we got up to a 20pt lead early due to STs (NE mistakes), it was pretty clear what the game plan was. Run the rock at home and kill time with the 20pt lead.

As far as both TN games are concerned, our OL was horrendous both games. Both games our OL gave up double digit pressures. We were simply pathetic trying to protect Wentz.  Overall, Wentz took 5 or hits in more than half the games last year. That's next level bad, which so many just flippantly ignore. The first 5ish games were next level bad in terms of the OL is concerned, and LT was an issue all season really until Pryor stepped in late. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

SMH. I wish you'd actually look at stats before you post sometimes. 

SF and AZ were both considered good pass Ds, and were top 5ish in passing yards allowed. Wentz had 100+ PR rating vs both. 

He didn't look bad against every good D. 

As far as NE is concerned, Wentz was barely used. We went short passing like we normally do, and NE's DBs, likely the best in the league, shut our guys down, especially Pittman. Jackson gave Pittman zero space. BB new exactly what Reich was going to do in the passing game. And given Kelly was out, it made sense to try and pound the ball running. Add in we got up to a 20pt lead early due to STs (NE mistakes), it was pretty clear what the game plan was. Run the rock at home and kill time with the 20pt lead.

As far as both TN games are concerned, our OL was horrendous both games. Both games our OL gave up double digit pressures. We were simply pathetic trying to protect Wentz.  Overall, Wentz took 5 or hits in more than half the games last year. That's next level bad, which so many just flippantly ignore. The first 5ish games were next level bad in terms of the OL is concerned, and LT was an issue all season really until Pryor stepped in late. 

Just answer me this, did Wentz play good at Buffalo, vs NE, Tennessee 2nd game, Raiders, at Jags. It is a simple YES or NO, don't twist anything just answer YES or NO. 

We won at Buffalo and vs NE but he played like JB those games. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just answer me this, did Wentz play good at Buffalo, vs NE, Tennessee 2nd game, Raiders, at Jags. It is a simple YES or NO, don't twist anything just answer YES or NO. 

hell i need another drink and a cigar as I am dominating this debate, Homer =The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Again, he barely passed vs NE, and when he did, NE new exactly what was coming. Not sure what you expect vs those DBs in a small sample size, with NE's DBs shutting our guys down. Our pass catchers were blanketed. You really should rewatch the game lol.

Both times we played TN, our OL was horrible, and Wentz got pounded. Do you expect a stellar performance when we our OL is waving guys through?

Buf? Wentz wasn't bad. Not saying he was good, but he wasn't horrible either. He had 1 TD and zero INTs. He also had pass catchers drop 2 key throws. Also, don't forget that JT was Ting off, so Wentz was sparingly used. Much like the NE game, we got off to a big lead, and we went run-the-rock mode.

LVR and Jax, the entire team sucked both those games. IIRC, Wentz was sacked 6 times vs Jax. Do you realize how awful that is? He was horrible vs LVR, but definitely wasn't good either. IIRC, 1 TD, no INTs, and about 60% completion rate. IMO, gameplan, game prep, and coaching were to blame the final two games. The team looked like they simply gave up, and that's not all on Wentz. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

hell i need another drink and a cigar as I am dominating this debate, Homer =The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

You dominate by making surface comments, ignoring most facts and context.??? 

You have responded to zero of the facts I've shared. Just continued "but, but, what about, but"""

I think you've had enough to drink already lol. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You dominate by making surface comments, ignoring most facts and context.??? 

You have responded to zero of the facts I've shared. Just continued "but, but, what about, but"""

I think you've had enough to drink already lol. 

Nah I am dominating this easily The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- by many measures. 

Archived