Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay coming on the Pat McAfee Show Monday at 2pm

aReggie7

Jim's the GOAT. 

Sounds like Patty Mac will be kicking a 35 yd field goal and completing a 35 yard pass to Wayne at halftime at one of our games. If he does, Irsay donates 3 million bucks to IU Cancer, Kicking the Stigma and McAfee's choice on the third

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, IndyD4U said:

Jim's the GOAT. 

Sounds like Patty Mac will be kicking a 35 yd field goal and completing a 35 yard pass to Wayne at halftime at one of our games. If he does, Irsay donates 3 million bucks to IU Cancer, Kicking the Stigma and McAfee's choice on the third

Which game?

On 5/2/2022 at 5:55 PM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Nahh he’s right this one was different!!! I’m honestly still not over it 

Yeah it was. The way we just rolled over. Something was not right. When you hear Leonard talk about everything he was going through and couldn’t be the leader he needed to be it all makes a little sense. This team just flat out ran out of gas.

It was an interview for all ages. I rewatched the games and Irsay was absolutely right. Let me be the first one to say that FRANK had a huge blindspot regarding Carson Wentz. He had TOO much confidence in him. Wentz was his worst enemy and stupid. When the play called for a straight run, he wanted to pass and botched it up. I understand what happened in Philly and Frank and his coaches completely missed it. Carson was undisciplined.

Frank needs to be more conservative with his play calling. He can draw up the plays but he is not a smart play caller. He is a HUGE risk taker and when you go overboard, the players become demoralized. I hope he gives Matt Ryan the option to change the call on the line of scrimmage this year. 

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

It was an interview for all ages. I rewatched the games and Irsay was absolutely right. Let me be the first one to say that FRANK had a huge blindspot regarding Carson Wentz. He had TOO much confidence in him. Wentz was his worst enemy and stupid. When the play called for a straight run, he wanted to pass and botched it up. I understand what happened in Philly and Frank and his coaches completely missed it. Carson was undisciplined.

Frank needs to be more conservative with his play calling. He can draw up the plays but he is not a smart play caller. He is a HUGE risk taker and when you go overboard, the players become demoralized. I hope he gives Matt Ryan the option to change the call on the line of scrimmage this year. 

This is not even true. Reich has talked numerous times how important in his system it is for the QB to change the play depending on what he is seeing.. 

I think Reich being away from Carson for a few years really hurt Reich’s evaluation of him. On paper it should of been a good move. I am not sure it was a blind spot. He was just going off his experience with him. The important thing is how do they respond from a mistake. They did respond really well and fixed it.

I didn't say he does not allow the QB to change the call on the line. What I said was that I hope Ryan will put us into the right play. Last year Wentz put us into the worst play with the safe pass to the back was wide open. Just watch the Jacksonville game. That is not the only game he screws up. I am so glad he is done. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is not even true. Reich has talked numerous times how important in his system it is for the QB to change the play depending on what he is seeing.. 

I think Reich being away from Carson for a few years really hurt Reich’s evaluation of him. On paper it should of been a good move. I am not sure it was a blind spot. He was just going off his experience with him. The important thing is how do they respond from a mistake. They did respond really well and fixed it.

Wentz didn't have a full off-season with a new team. He didn't have a great supporting cast (aside from JT). He sprained both ankles early in the season and was playing very hobbled for a few weeks. When he healed up he had a very good stretch through the middle of the season. We had a covid outbreak late in the season and with that Wentz had a cruddy last couple of games. 

I am very happy we moved on and grabbed Ryan, but it wasn't like Wentz was awful all year. I don't fault Frank for anything... who knows if a better wr group helps Wentz to a point where we make the playoffs? He'd probably still be here. 

___

As far as Irsay's interview goes, that was amazing. He's hilarious and he's out there and Pat was funny how he handled him. 

12 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Wentz didn't have a full off-season with a new team. He didn't have a great supporting cast (aside from JT). He sprained both ankles early in the season and was playing very hobbled for a few weeks. When he healed up he had a very good stretch through the middle of the season. We had a covid outbreak late in the season and with that Wentz had a cruddy last couple of games. 

I am very happy we moved on and grabbed Ryan, but it wasn't like Wentz was awful all year. I don't fault Frank for anything... who knows if a better wr group helps Wentz to a point where we make the playoffs? He'd probably still be here. 

___

As far as Irsay's interview goes, that was amazing. He's hilarious and he's out there and Pat was funny how he handled him. 

I agree. Wentz was pretty good in the middle of the season. The beginning was not pretty due to lack of wr talent and Wentz' s injuries. The last couple games were pretty bad...but the whole team was pretty bad. Washington has a lot of offensive talent and I think Wentz will do well there.

28 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not sure Wentz was that good in the middle of the season. Reich leaned heavily on JT because he did not trust Carson. JT is just that good.  The biggest thing with Carson is he is volitile. How do you design a game plan around a QB you don’t know what your going to get from ond play too the next.

No need to fear Matt Ryan is here! We got this. 

Not sure Wentz was that good in the middle of the season. Reich leaned heavily on JT because he did not trust Carson. JT is just that good.  The biggest thing with Carson is he is volitile. How do you design a game plan around a QB you don’t know what your going to get from ond play too the next.

Yes, JT is very good... and our OL was run blocking considerably better than they were pass blocking.  And while relying on JT was in part a means to not depend on Wentz, it was also a way to not have to depend on a bottom 5 in the league WR/TE (in terms of receiving) corps.

I agree, the toughest part of watching Wentz was his inconsistencies (from play to play or from game to game).  Pat McAfee always talks about how Carson can make one of the best plays you've ever seen one play and then have you scared to death the next play by holding on for too long or trying to extend broken plays, etc.. that said, he had a very good TD to INT ratio and he played pretty darn good ball for a good stretch of the season.  I think it is a bit over exaggerated that Carson is unmanageable.. the big thing Reich wanted to manage about him was reducing his turnovers, and he did that very effectively (7 ints on the year is very good).

Again, still glad we have Ryan over Wentz.. but, Carson isn't some slouch/awful QB.  For the most part, he played well for us last year. The whole organization came out flat against Jax in the season finale, not just him... literally, 3 weeks before that, many people thought we were the most dangerous team in the AFC.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, JT is very good... and our OL was run blocking considerably better than they were pass blocking.  And while relying on JT was in part a means to not depend on Wentz, it was also a way to not have to depend on a bottom 5 in the league WR/TE (in terms of receiving) corps.

I agree, the toughest part of watching Wentz was his inconsistencies (from play to play or from game to game).  Pat McAfee always talks about how Carson can make one of the best plays you've ever seen one play and then have you scared to death the next play by holding on for too long or trying to extend broken plays, etc.. that said, he had a very good TD to INT ratio and he played pretty darn good ball for a good stretch of the season.  I think it is a bit over exaggerated that Carson is unmanageable.. the big thing Reich wanted to manage about him was reducing his turnovers, and he did that very effectively (7 ints on the year is very good).

Again, still glad we have Ryan over Wentz.. but, Carson isn't some slouch/awful QB.  For the most part, he played well for us last year. The whole organization came out flat against Jax in the season finale, not just him... literally, 3 weeks before that, many people thought we were the most dangerous team in the AFC.

That TD to INT ratio had a lot to do with Reich protecting him and not throwing as much.

That TD to INT ratio had a lot to do with Reich protecting him and not throwing as much.

To an extent, but not really.. he had the 16th most attempts (right in the middle) in the league, yet he threw the 29th fewest INTs.  That means between a good chunk of QBs who had less attempts than Carson threw more picks than him... he has to get some credit for that, and some of that is him staying within the gameplan Reich put forth (above, you basically say he is unmanageable... now you're saying he threw a good TD to INT ratio because Reich managed him well..).

Reich, for the most part, put him in pretty good situations with play calling.  He didn't take many deep shots.  That, in part, was probably Reich trying specifically to reign Wentz in -- but also in part due to Fisher being inconsistent in pass pro at LT (hence, getting the ball out quick), and in large part because we didn't have a deep threat at TE and Pittman (who, IMO, would be a 2 on the majority of teams in the league and a 3 or worse on a decent amount) as our best WR, followed by a bunch of guys who would be #4 WR or not on other rosters.  I know it's impossible to tell, but if we had Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd on our roster, I highly doubt Reich is calling the game the same as Pittman, Pascal, a hobbled TY and a cast of 6-7 round picks and undrafted young guys.

Again, I'm glad we have Ryan over Wentz right now... and it doesn't seem like stats or facts are going to sway your opinion.. but Wentz wasn't really that bad for most of last year.  Our entire team came out and laid an egg against Jax and we missed the playoffs... had we won that game (which was not solely on Wentz) and won a game or two in the playoffs, there is a good chance Wentz is still our QB and most on this board would have a much less bitter taste in their mouth about him.

20 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wentz was a reclamation project.  What we saw were the same things that got him run out of Philly.  Frank was a great option to try to get his head back on straight, and expecting him to turn him around in one year isn't realistic.  This was a situation where the owner wasn't feeling it and forced the change.  Now he's sky high on Ryan who has the development and maturity sides down but whose body is on that final countdown to retirement. 

This might work  One thing's for sure, the team should be better with Ryan.  Question is how much better.  Are they a playoff team?  I think that's likely.  But is there a championship run window with Ryan?  I'm not sure about that and going to wait and see.  The AFC playoff field is loaded with good young QBs so there's that chance that the Colts are the team hanging on and trying to force a window that isn't there for them.

On the other side I do appreciate having a pro QB who has all those basics covered.  I just hope he's got the juice to sustain a few years of high end play to keep this team in it.  This isn't about throwing the ball on first and second down with play action, as even backups can do that.  It's about nailing those field stretchers like deep outs or nines on critical throwing downs to keep teams honest vs Taylor and that run game.  I'm hopeful but there are times where I think Irsay is feeling his mortality and maybe throwing his weight around more than is healthy for a top organization.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, AustexColt said:

I actually disagree. Frank focusing on the run game at the mid season mark showed that he had lost confidence in Wentz as the season moved along. From what I hear, it was Frank and Irsay that wanted Wentz gone the most. He put his butt on the line for him and it backfired. Lesson learned and move on. Carson refusing to hit Taylor 10 yards from the endzone was on Wentz. He did it all year and the team said enough.

Why are we even talking about Wentz - Reich wanted him, the Front Office obliged - He didn't perform to expectations - the Front Office vetoed the Coach - He gone - we have Matt Ryan now!

Let's talk about Matt Ryan, JT and rejuvenated OLine and (hopefully) a full compliment of toys for Matty Ice to play with!

Archived