Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Draft Grade


Recommended Posts

So now that the draft is wrapped up, let's take a look how the colts did.

 

Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati - Love the pick. I really wanted another big target just in case anything happened to Pittman. I know we still have Patmon and Strachan, but I rather not pin our hopes at WR with two day three WRs. Pierce has been compared to Jordy Nelson and I definitely can see it in his game. Sneaky fast and can take the top off defenses.

 

Grade - A

 

Jelani Woods TE Virginia - very interesting prospect with his combination of size and speed. Is definitely an instant mismatch for defenses that can have an impact early. I'd be interested to see if we use him as a wildcat QB. 

 

Grade - B+

 

Bernhard Raimann T Central Michigan - Was a forum favorite with a very interesting background story. Was a TE, but played LT for two seasons with only allowing one sack last season. Definitely think the whole short arm thing is overblown. It's about feet, leverage, and technique. Can definitely be our future LT imo.

 

Grade - A

 

Nick Cross S Maryland - Very interesting prospect with a lot of potential, but not exactly the tape to back it up. You do see a lot of wow plays on the ball and hard hits, but not as constant as you'd like. I do love the range, speed, and hitting power, but needs to work on coverage and play recognition.

 

Grade - B

 

Eric Johnson DT Missouri State - Honestly don't know a lot about this player. From what little I could find seems like a decent prospect that can get up the field and can be disruptive. Needs to hit the weight room and get bigger and stronger. Could be a good development project, but don't like where we got him.

 

Grade - D

 

Andrew Olgetree TE Youngstown State - I really don't understand this pick. Olgetree from what I can find is not that fast, has hand issues, and not that good of a blocker. Olgetree does have size at 6 5 260, but I can't see him being anything else, but PS player.

 

Grade - F

 

Curtis Brooks DT Cincinnati - Undersize DT at 6 2 289. Did have 7.5 sacks and 12 tackles for losses which is really impressive for a player his size. Could be perhaps used as a big DE in Bradley's defense.

 

Grade - C+

 

Rodney Thomas CB Yale - From LB to S to apparently CB where the colts plan to play him. Freak athlete with great workout numbers and obviously smart so definitely something the colts can work with, but most likely just a ST move.

 

Grade - C

 

Overall the colts obviously targeted players with explosive traits and freak like athleticism while focusing on creating competition. I do like a lot of what the colts did in this draft, but I do think they could have done better with the day three picks. I also question giving up a future third for a S who might not get a lot of time on defense with Willis, Blackmon, and Mclead ahead of him.

 

Overall Grade - B

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Overall the colts obviously targeted players with explosive traits and freak like athleticism while focusing on creating competition. I do like a lot of what the colts did in this draft, but I do colts could have did better with the day three picks. I also question giving up a future third for a S who might not get a lot of time on defense with Willis, Blackmon, and Mclead ahead of him.

 

Overall Grade - B

 

Yeah while Ballard has clearly always placed a big emphasis on athletic traits and what makes guys unique I thought it stood out more this year. I think there are more guys who are raw and projects than in past years. This draft reminds me of what the 2019 draft only the 2022 draft was more geared towards offense (at least early) and the 2019 was more about defense.

 

I know everyone is excited about Raimann but it just seems too good to be true. I can't help but think there is something to the reports about medical concerns.

 

I also don't think the reasons for the Olgetree pick are obvious. Obviously the Colts done the work on him and really like him but that's one i'd be interested in hearing more about.

 

A side note regarding the tight end position in general: Frank Reich made a comment after the draft how they really want two tight ends driven on offense. My first thought was if that's really what he wants on offense then why haven't the Colts made a more aggressive attempt to replace Ebron since he left in 2019?

 

I actually really like getting Cross. Safety is supposed to be deep with this draft so there is a good chance Cross is a better prospect than safeties who will be available in round 3 next year. He might start right away this year but i'm ok with it as he can come in, learn, and hopefully be ready to take off in 2023. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like Cross also, probably the best pick we had in this draft. Johnson played very well in the Senior Bowl, especially as a small school prospect going up against the division 1 stars. Overall a very good draft, especially if Woods becomes the dominant force he is very capable of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

I know everyone is excited about Raimann but it just seems too good to be true. I can't help but think there is something to the reports about medical concerns.

Chronic knee tendinitis is the rumor. 

 

Its not so much a structure or performance issue as much as it is a longevity issue.  Not worth a 1st round pick if he's eventually going to develop an arthritic condition or spending a lot time with the trainers to help not miss some games.  17 games is a long season.

 

I agree with OP, the TE and the DT seem like small school projects with high bust potential when there were more known quantities when we were on the clock, IMO

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I really like Cross also, probably the best pick we had in this draft. Johnson played very well in the Senior Bowl, especially as a small school prospect going up against the division 1 stars. Overall a very good draft, especially if Woods becomes the dominant force he is very capable of.

 

I'm not hating the Cross move. I think he can definitely bring a pop to our defense especially if Blackmon isnt ready to go, but imo he doesn't hit and blow up plays like Blackmon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y’know, I agree that the Ogletree pick was one I’d like to have back.  That one doesn’t make much sense to me.  But only slightly better than that is out first pick.  I really can’t understand selecting a WR that is so similar to what we already have.  MPJ, Patmon, and Strachan are all the same type of WR.  Why not bring in someone who brings something different to the table, like the lightning quickness of Calvin Austin, or the polished skills of Skyy Moore?  Or the explosive traits of Pickens (or even Tolbert)?  I hope that he does become the next Jordy Nelson, but I threw my hands up when I heard Reich referencing the need to be “multiple” in the post-draft presser…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Y’know, I agree that the Ogletree pick was one I’d like to have back.  That one doesn’t make much sense to me.  But only slightly better than that is out first pick.  I really can’t understand selecting a WR that is so similar to what we already have.  MPJ, Patmon, and Strachan are all the same type of WR.  Why not bring in someone who brings something different to the table, like the lightning quickness of Calvin Austin, or the polished skills of Skyy Moore?  Or the explosive traits of Pickens (or even Tolbert)?  I hope that he does become the next Jordy Nelson, but I threw my hands up when I heard Reich referencing the need to be “multiple” in the post-draft presser…

 

I just think Pierce is a lot different in terms of WR from Pitt. Yes their both big, but Pitt is more strong and physical with the ball in the air and can work in space where Pierce will just bully DBs and even if he's covered will make a play on the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fans see what a player IS.   Scouts, coaches, personnel people try to see what a player CAN BECOME. 
 

Two completely different viewpoints. 

 

Can only grade what I see. You're acting like failed the colts entire draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Can only grade what I see. You're acting like failed the colts entire draft.


I wasn’t even responding to you specifically.   My post was a stand alone.   My comment was applicable to anyone posting in this thread. 
 

But my jaw dropped when I saw you gave an F and a D.    Mind blowing.   Things that make sense only to you.        :giveup:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

Chronic knee tendinitis is the rumor. 

 

Its not so much a structure or performance issue as much as it is a longevity issue.  Not worth a 1st round pick if he's eventually going to develop an arthritic condition or spending a lot time with the trainers to help not miss some games.  17 games is a long season.

 

I agree with OP, the TE and the DT seem like small school projects with high bust potential when there were more known quantities when we were on the clock, IMO

And this would intensify the "yeah-but" nature of Raimann.  He's already 25.  And he could possibly have a longevity issue?

Don't get me wrong, I love the pick.  But there's a reason why he dropped to the late 3rd round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2022 at 2:35 PM, CR91 said:

 

I'm not hating the Cross move. I think he can definitely bring a pop to our defense especially if Blackmon isnt ready to go, but imo he doesn't hit and blow up plays like Blackmon

I actually think Cross was brought into replaced Blackmon. Not only because of injury but Blackmon is SS and not a FS. If everything works out. Cross will become the starting FS and Blackmon will be healthy enough  to beat out Willis as he is in his last year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually think Cross was brought into replaced Blackmon. Not only because of injury but Blackmon is SS and not a FS. If everything works out. Cross will become the starting FS and Blackmon will be healthy enough  to beat out Willis as he is in his last year.

 

Blackmon plays FS. He's a lot better in coverage then Willis. Cross while can play both spots according to the colts, is better suited at SS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Blackmon plays FS. He's a lot better in coverage then Willis. Cross while can play both spots according to the colts, is better suited at SS

We shall c but I disagree. Cross has the speed to cover deep. Blackmon is also a downhill player but doesn't have Cross' speed. Who even knows if Blackmon will ever be the same player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was very much against our signing Wentz and vowed to turn a blind eye to the Colts last season… I think it lasted maybe 4 weeks lol. Not only did I watch the games, I also watched Hard Knocks.  I learned that I’m all talk, I can’t back it up. I’ll bleed blue forever. Go Colts! 
    • Brooks will need a year or two.  He's got a tweener type frame. He could be a package guy on the interior if we're trying to one gap the OC, but we've got better options. IMO, he'll end up a PS guy. Johnson could end up on the PS too.    Give Brooks a year or two in a good S&C program. If he can put on some weight and add strength, I'd like his chances at depth NT.
    • Agree in general. But a lot of reviews have called out his slender bottom half. I watched some of his film, and he really struggled at times, even with LBs. 
    • Curtis Brooks has the potential to be the steal of the Draft for Colts by Jaleel Grandberry   Sixth-round pick for the Indianapolis Colts, Curtis Brooks, was impressive in his final year in college and could be the steal of the entire Draft. The 2022 draft class for the Indianapolis Colts is highlighted by the impressive offensive selections of day two. The Colts started their draft by selecting Alec Pierce, Jelani Woods, and Bernhard Raimann. While all three were great picks, and necessary, it was a selection that Indianapolis made on day three that could be the steal of the Draft. In the sixth round of the Draft, with the 216th-overall pick, Indy used its second-to-last pick to select defensive tackle Curtis Brooks out of Cincinnati. Brooks wasn’t highly ranked in the class, he was the 17th defensive tackle taken, and the second by the Colts. However, he flashed some things in college that should have fans excited about his ceiling. Curtis Brooks could be promising for Colts Brooks is just 6-foot-2 and 285 pounds but he played with a lot of explosiveness in his five years at Cincinnati. In his final season, Brooks recorded 57 tackles, 12.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. On his tape, he routinely showcases explosiveness, athleticism, and a high motor as he disrupts runs and gets after the quarterback on passing plays. In addition to his film and impressive advanced stats, Brooks recorded 33 reps on the bench press, had 35.5 vertical, a 4.9 40-yard dash, and graded well in all other athletic evaluation tests. Now, Brooks gets to join a loaded Colts defense as he adjusts his tools to the professional level. He’ll be surrounded by stars and will be able to learn from the Pro Bowler, DeForest Buckner, in addition to other Indianapolis veterans. Despite going in the sixth round, it wouldn’t be a shock if Brooks becomes a really good professional player. Between his tape and his numbers, he has a pretty high ceiling. Hopefully, the Colts will help him reach that ceiling   Data on Curtis Brooks (DT, Cincinnati) from PFF Pass Rush Win Rate: 19.3% (best in class) Run Defense Stop Rate: 13.1% (best) Pass Rush grade: 90.4 (best) True Pass Set grade: 92.3 (best) True Pass Set win rate: 37%!! (best) Run Defense grade: 69.9
  • Members

    • SurfinKal

      SurfinKal 155

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 84

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 18,887

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 1,555

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 14,057

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C_Lew

      C_Lew 109

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Orioles22

      Orioles22 330

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Tsarquise

      Tsarquise 694

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 5,120

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JMichael557

      JMichael557 309

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...