Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts UDFA signing thread

Yoshinator

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

The story has an interesting aside that I hope is wrong…..

It references an 11th PS member.   11?

What happened to the 16 we’ve had due to Covid?   I thought that was so well received that it became permanent?   Yes?   No?

Anyone?   

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The story has an interesting aside that I hope is wrong…..

It references an 11th PS member.   11?

What happened to the 16 we’ve had due to Covid?   I thought that was so well received that it became permanent?   Yes?   No?

Anyone?   

Down to 14 AND only 4 allowed to be veterans so much less flexibility then during the covid season so we cant stash say I. Campbell and Coutee and Addae and ........but neither can anyone else so a wash

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Mack made himself pretty much inactive (Requesting a trade and not being happy being here) not Jackson's play in fact Jackson avg 2.4 yards a carry the worst in the NFL of any RB with a minimum of 10 carries and he wasnt even thrown to a single time. He got a decent singing bonus of $45,000 compared to what Van Demark who yesterday got $175,000 puts in perspective though. Jackson was actually cut during the 53 man cut down and then signed to the practice squad so not like the club loved him and no other team put in a request.

Borghi was expected to be drafted from round 5-7 and it was surprising he dropped, Verdell dropped due to injury concerns and his height. Both were college stars some stats. Jackson last season was not a projected draft pick.

Borghi- 369 carries 2,158 yards 5.8 avg 32 tds    156 catches 1,134 yards 9 td (led ncca in catches by rb last season)

Verdell- 542 carries 2,924 yards 5.4 avg 26 tds     58 catches 610 yards 4 tds

Jackson- 526 carries 2,267 yards 4.3 avg 18 tds    61 catches 534 yards 4 tds

I enjoy when we have positions being battled for and pay much more attention to bottom of the roster moves and spots then most (Probably what gives me some of a leg up in our annual 53 man roster contest over many).

I think we will see a clear separation in these backs and also a vet may come in for carries (Also as mention earlier Price will be in the mix also). 

Mack not playing ST’s made himself inactive not requesting a trade. Once the trade deadline passed there was no reason to protect him. 

No one is saying Jackson is automatically getting a spot. He very well may not. The Colts have brought in an excellent group. All anyone is saying is that he’s had a year in the system. That helps so let’s not think he’s being replaced automatically. No doubt Van Denmark was a huge priority.  Jackson for last year was a high signing bonus. Feel free to correct me if someone got more last year. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Mack not playing ST’s made himself inactive not requesting a trade. Once the trade deadline passed there was no reason to protect him. 

No one is saying Jackson is automatically getting a spot. He very well may not. The Colts have brought in an excellent group. All anyone is saying is that he’s had a year in the system. That helps so let’s not think he’s being replaced automatically. No doubt Van Denmark was a huge priority.  Jackson for last year was a high signing bonus. Feel free to correct me if someone got more last year. 

Mack not playing special teams played a part BUT him wanting out and the team not wanting to hurt his future had just as much if not more for sure. Jackson didnt play a high % of special team snaps only 81 (33%) for the season as opposed to our st regular's like Dulin 280 snaps 63%. No udfa last season got much a signing bonus last season and none made the 53 man roster either.

54 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The reason to protect him was to keep him healthy for the 2022 FA period.   His chance to re-start career.   Ballard loved Mack.  He felt bad at his Achilles injury at the beginning of the 2020 season.  That’s we we re-signed him for 21 when no other team showed much interest in him.   Ballard said this.  We were doing him a solid. 

Mack may not have helped the team last year, but gestures like this by Ballard are noticed by players and coaches.   We talk about being a family and this is a way to demonstrate it.  

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason to protect him was to keep him healthy for the 2022 FA period.   His chance to re-start career.   Ballard loved Mack.  He felt bad at his Achilles injury at the beginning of the 2020 season.  That’s we we re-signed him for 21 when no other team showed much interest in him.   Ballard said this.  We were doing him a solid. 

Mack may not have helped the team last year, but gestures like this by Ballard are noticed by players and coaches.   We talk about being a family and this is a way to demonstrate it.  

100% spot on.....class move by Ballard.

Colts signed another UDFA and 2 others being brought in for mini-camp invites

Signed - 

Hybrid LB/S Trevor Denbow perhaps had the best day of anyone in attendance. Weighing in at 5-11 and 208 pounds, Denbow posted a 4.46s 40-yard dash, a 38.5-inch vertical jump, a 132-inch broad jump, a 4.06s shuttle and a 7.03s 3-cone.

Invites -

K Grayson Atkins UNC

RB Jahmaine Martin NC A&T 5’10 220 4.48 40

- most impressive player at HBCU Combine

- had a big 2019 and apparently was hurt this year

- 2019 “led the MEAC and all HBCU runners with 1,446 rushing yards. He averaged a whopping 7.7 yards per carry (best in the FCS). Those numbers earned him multiple FCS all-American honors. Most impressive that season, were his school-record 23 touchdowns, 22 of them of the rushing variety. Perhaps more impressive, ten of those scoring runs covered more than 55 yards. “

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I bet he is targeted to transition to lb for us.    Perfect size for our lbs. 

Or the Kam Chancellor role as a hybrid LB/SS…..which he played a lot of at Miami of Ohio. 

What we have is a competition amongst Glasgow, Malik Jefferson, Weatherford, Domann, and Brandon King for likely two special teams/backup linebacker spots.

Nick Cross being drafted along with Weatherford being signed may make Armani Watts expendable……

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Or the Kam Chancellor role as a hybrid LB/SS…..which he played a lot of at Miami of Ohio. 

What we have is a competition amongst Glasgow, Malik Jefferson, Weatherford, Domann, and Brandon King for likely two special teams/backup linebacker spots.

Nick Cross being drafted along with Weatherford being signed may make Armani Watts expendable……

I like your thinking!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bu the way, the $175,000 is NOT a bonus.  It’s the total guaranteed money which includes salary.  The total team bonus pool money is roughly $168,000 to sign all of their FA class.   

So this guy may have received a signing bonus of maybe $15,000 to $25,000.    The rest will be his salary.   Hope this clarifies. 

Yes , just read a while ago that it's his salary that's guaranteed , which makes sense . They also gave the QB 60K guaranteed.

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Sterling Weatherford likely has a better chance than Domann…..but, neither is going to take Kenny Moore’s starting job. 

Now, could one of them fill the Kam Chancellor role? Perhaps….

I view Weatherford more as a SAF and Domann as a hybrid LB/SCB.  League has proven UDFA have equal chance of becoming starters.  We have our own in Kenny Moore that went undrafted.  Never want to see a player go down during the season but always good to have capable backups that can play.  Sometimes these young men just need a chance and going undrafted just adds a chip on their shoulders.  Wish them all the best.

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Looks like they snuck another guy in on us in Wesley French, OL WMU…..was a defensive tackle that was switched to Center the last two years. 

Love seeing the Colts being extremely active this off-season.  Lot of great potential we have added this draft and post-draft process.  Good year to take advantage after extra college season for most due to Covid and more kids entering the draft.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Yes , just read a while ago that it's his salary that's guaranteed , which makes sense . They also gave the QB 60K guaranteed.

I don’t blame you or anyone else for thinking it’s the signing bonus.    That’s how the website Coltswire.com is reporting it and I think other sites as well. 

And once upon a time a long time ago, it might’ve been true.   Then the NFL started regulating such things and that became a thing of the past. 

Over this weekend, by accident,  I stumbled into a story saying each team had just $168,000 +/- to sign their FA class.  That’s the biggest pool number since that went into effect.   But typically, a SB amount of about $15-25k is the top SB for each team.   Gotta spread everything else around to sign your class.  

20 hours ago, stitches said:

This is a hell of a UDFA class. I think there is a significant chance multiple of them will make the roster.

The 3 RBs(Borghi, Price, Verdell) are almost certain to produce a player on the 53 man roster. 

Jojo Domann has a good shot too. It's interesting that he used to play safety/slot, but had his best season at LB last year. In our defense, the LBs are a bit undersized(or rather underweight) anyways. 

Jack Coan might find a spot on the PS, too 

Sterling Weatherford and Ryan Van Demnark both were draftable players too and might have a shot at making the roster. 

I’m also betting that a few difficult cuts we make will be scooped up by other teams because of the depth of talent 

How in the world did Domann not get drafted. I live in Nebraska and see these games and he is a ball stripping machine and is so quick to the ball. I thought for sure he would get drafted, but on the other hand I have a feeling this guy is going to continue our UDFAs that make the team. This is will make the roster if he can play some ST. 

4 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Who is most likely to be on the opening day roster? Betting on Domann or Weatherford, whoever shows better on ST. 

Man, I think we could have up to five UCFAs make this roster.  I think both Domamm and Weatherford could make it.

45 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Out of all the UDFAs, my biggest pleasant surprise was Nebraska LB JoJo Domann (The Domannator). I was shocked that he was not drafted. Just look at his tape. He can sack the QB, tackle in space (many times for losses) and is the king of the forced fumble. Enjoy the highlights ...

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jojo-domann/42446/draft-profile

A 87 coverage rating in the slot? Most of the highlights show him making hard tackles in the box and on blitzes, not mundane coverage plays.

NFL.com describes Domann as a hybrid LB/S but "a constant irritant in the box".

Maybe if Cross and Blackmon start at S, Domann could be the part time third safety in the box should Willis move on next season.

19 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Domann made 2 really nice special teams tackles at the senior bowl. I think he will make the team over Glagnow and Jefferson. I also think Borgi and Van Demark will make the team.

Special teams is the ticket for these guys. That being said, there is a reason they were not drafted. That's not saying they are not talented or can't be coached. Plenty of terrific players have been UDFA's, but the odds are against them.

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Domann made 2 really nice special teams tackles at the senior bowl. I think he will make the team over Glagnow and Jefferson. I also think Borgi and Van Demark will make the team.

I agree, and I could also see Weatherford make it as a LB and Coan have a run at back-up QB…

4 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Out of all the UDFAs, my biggest pleasant surprise was Nebraska LB JoJo Domann (The Domannator). I was shocked that he was not drafted. Just look at his tape. He can sack the QB, tackle in space (many times for losses) and is the king of the forced fumble. Enjoy the highlights ...

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jojo-domann/42446/draft-profile

When I watched one of his tapes, the one person that came to mind that he reminds me of is Bob Sanders. Jojo seems to do the most damage when he is free to roam about. He is a hard hitter, very good instincts, not afraid to throw his body around, great at stripping the ball and has great hands. 

I see James Skalski was signed as an UDFA.  Curious to see if he can put anything good on tape.  He’s been hurt quite a bit and had RAS in the mid 6’s, but I loved his style of play at Clemson.  Maybe ST player.

18 hours ago, indyprosports1 said:

How in the world did Domann not get drafted. I live in Nebraska and see these games and he is a ball stripping machine and is so quick to the ball. I thought for sure he would get drafted, but on the other hand I have a feeling this guy is going to continue our UDFAs that make the team. This is will make the roster if he can play some ST. 

Bad injury history.

Posted in another thread, but  I am excited to see where the signing of Marcel Dabo leads. 

This year was the AFC South's year to get a player from the International Player Pathway program and we got Dabo.

He had a top-30 visit with us and was the defensive rookie of the year in the European league.

Archived