Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts UDFA signing thread

Yoshinator

42 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Welcome Domann to the Colts.

Kenny Moore is on notice am going to say it now.  JoJo Domann has the highest UDFA chance to become the next stater.  If Domann plays like he did for the Huskers he should transition well in the NFL and be a star like Moore. 

Domann is a steal of the draft as an UDFA.  Domann wasn’t the only high rated player that went undrafted. 

Our Pro-Bowl Nickel CB is on notice because we signed an undrafted LB?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Welcome Domann to the Colts.

Kenny Moore is on notice am going to say it now.  JoJo Domann has the highest UDFA chance to become the next stater.  If Domann plays like he did for the Huskers he should transition well in the NFL and be a star like Moore. 

Domann is a steal of the draft as an UDFA.  Domann wasn’t the only high rated player that went undrafted. 

Sterling Weatherford likely has a better chance than Domann…..but, neither is going to take Kenny Moore’s starting job. 

Now, could one of them fill the Kam Chancellor role? Perhaps….

Stampede Blue has a tracker

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/4/30/23051171/colts-rookie-udfa-tracker-following-the-2022-nfl-draft

So far, he's the latest. Sorry if already posted.

Priority Rookie UDFA Signings

Max Borghi, RB Washington State

Jack Coan, QB Notre Dame

Kekoa Crawford, WR Cal

Trevor Denbow, S SMU

JoJo Domann, OLB Nebraska

Dallis Flowers, CB Pittsburg State

Alex Mollette, OL Marshall

Samson Nacua, WR BYU

Scott Patchan, DE Colorado State

Caeveon Patton, DT Texas State

D’vonte Price, RB Florida International

Forrest Rhyne, LB Villanova

Josh Seltzner, OL Wisconsin

Ryan Van Demnark, OT UConn

C.J. Verdell, RB Oregon State

Sterling Weatherford, S Miami (OH)

Cullen Wick, DE Tulsa

McKinley ‘Bear’ Williams, DL Syracuse

Michael Young Jr., WR Cincinnati

Tryouts for Rookie Minicamp

Jackson Anthrop, WR Purdue

Caleb Carter, LB Southern

Isaiah Chambers, Edge McNeese State

Cedrick Cunningham Jr., DB Army

Evan Holm, CB North Dakota

MJ Dumas, OL Villanova

Grant Dixon, LB Youngstown State

Beau Morris, OL SMU

Lucky Oyovwi, Edge Charleston

Race Porter, P Washington

Seth Small, PK Texas A&M

Tim Wilson Jr., WR Southeastern Louisiana

Just now, chad72 said:

Why did Kevin Austin Jr. of Notre Dame go undrafted? I am curious

Because every team in the NFL didn’t think he was worthy of drafting.  This is a case of just because someone is good in college doesn’t mean he will project well to next level.  If teams thought he would have someone would have drafted him at some point.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Because every team in the NFL didn’t think he was worthy of drafting.  

Duh!!! Besides the obvious answer, he scored high on RAS, and played on a good FBS program at a good level. Was there some injury concern? 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Duh!!! Besides the obvious answer, he scored high on RAS, and played on a good FBS program at a good level. Was there some injury concern? 

I think I read something about maturity issues holding him back.   

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, the obvious answer is obvious for a reason.  It’s the answer.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I read something about maturity issues holding him back.   

Yeah, he had issues with drops he fixed as the season went on. It wasn't enough to land him a spot on an NFL roster. He went to the Jaguars as a UDFA.

Plus, Claypool's early success has fizzled out a bit. Then Miles Boykin never really made an impact with the Ravens. Ben Skowronek dropped a critical pass of Stafford that the Bengals snagged an INT out of in the SB and dropped a TD pass in the NFCCG. Notre Dame wideouts in the NFL have not done well recently. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/4/30/23051171/colts-rookie-udfa-tracker-following-the-2022-nfl-draft

Jack Coan, QB Notre Dame

Kekoa Crawford, WR Cal

Trevor Denbow, S SMU

Samson Nacua, WR BYU

Cullen Wick, DE Tulsa

MJ Dumas, OL Villanova

Beau Morris, OL SMU

Seth Small, PK Texas A&M

Thanks for such a good and detailed list.  I count 19signed free agents and that goes with the 8 draft picks.   27 in all.   

And some have been worried about filling our roster to 90.    I think this puts us over the limit,  but I’m sure we will trim when necessary.   

And I don’t think we’re done with adding more veteran free agents over the next few weeks.   I’d expect a few more veterans to join us.  

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Our Pro-Bowl Nickel CB is on notice because we signed an undrafted LB?

Same as every year people way over react to undrafted free agents.  The reality is that one of these guys may make the final roster. The Colts have a history of that but it’s always just one maybe two at the most but the vast majority of these kids are camp bodies.  

6 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Seahawks signed Carson Strong bummer I wanted him as a colt 

I remember some early mock drafts, before the Colts got Matt Ryan, projecting that the Colts would take Strong in the 3rd round.  Quite shocking to me that he went undrafted.  I was hoping the Colts might get him in a later round for backup competition … and who knows what in a few years.  Very surprising that he became a UDFA.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I remember some early mock drafts, before the Colts got Matt Ryan, projecting that the Colts would take Strong in the 3rd round.  Quite shocking to me that he went I drafted.  I was hoping the Colts might get him in a later round for backup competition … and who knows what in a few years.  Very surprising that he became a UDFA.

I assume that means his medical file was very very poor.    At least as a free agent the kid coukd pick the best franchise for him. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume that means his medical file was very very poor.    At least as a free agent the kid coukd pick the best franchise for him. 

Yeah, I do recall his knee(s) or something like that being a concern.

6 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Surprised so many RB’s are willing to sign here at once knowing there is only one spot open for all of them to compete for 

Its the OL and the run centric offense that gives any RB a chance as the next man up

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Jack Coan, QB Notre Dame

Kekoa Crawford, WR Cal

Trevor Denbow, S SMU

Samson Nacua, WR BYU

Cullen Wick, DE Tulsa

MJ Dumas, OL Villanova

Beau Morris, OL SMU

Seth Small, PK Texas A&M

This is a hell of a UDFA class. I think there is a significant chance multiple of them will make the roster.

The 3 RBs(Borghi, Price, Verdell) are almost certain to produce a player on the 53 man roster. 

Jojo Domann has a good shot too. It's interesting that he used to play safety/slot, but had his best season at LB last year. In our defense, the LBs are a bit undersized(or rather underweight) anyways. 

Jack Coan might find a spot on the PS, too 

Sterling Weatherford and Ryan Van Demnark both were draftable players too and might have a shot at making the roster. 

Jack Coan was on my list of developmental QBs I wanted for the Colts. I think he’s got a real shot to push Sam for the QB 2/3 spot as I’m sure we’ll bring in a veteran.

Also the OL battle will be very interesting because I thought Van Demark was a draftable player. He’s got LT traits. Between him and Raimann, Pryor will really have to compete. 

Last year Jackson was a high priority UDFA signing. He got a large signing bonus and many on this board were excited about it.  He did enough for the coaches with his running ability and special teams plays to make Mack inactive every week.  There will be intense competition for roster spots all over this roster including RB, but no one should write off Jackson altogether. 

Last year, there were around 1700 players entering the draft. This year, there are around 2800. This is a DEEP draft class. Our day two is like getting four 2nd round picks tbh in a normal draft. Then we are able to get some day 3 picks with high traits and an UDFA class that is MUCH better than normal classes for one team. There are 10 players in our UDFA pool this year that could of been drafted on day 3. This is HUGE for us. We could hypothetically have a whole new class of players that could of went from rounds 4-7 in our UDFA signings. That's how deep this class is.

I expect 3-5 players from this UDFA class to make it on the 53. Not as starters necessarily, but solid depth guys. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think any free agent RB is competing for RB3.   I don’t see why any 2022 FA RB should be thought to be ahead of last years FA RB,  Deon Jackson.   I think Jackson is RB3 until someone beats him out.   And I’d be surprised.  

You may or may not be right. What little tape there is available to see, Borghi has that "it" factor tho. Check him out if you haven't already

6 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Last year Jackson was a high priority UDFA signing. He got a large signing bonus and many on this board were excited about it.  He did enough for the coaches with his running ability and special teams plays to make Mack inactive every week.  There will be intense competition for roster spots all over this roster including RB, but no one should write off Jackson altogether. 

Mack made himself pretty much inactive (Requesting a trade and not being happy being here) not Jackson's play in fact Jackson avg 2.4 yards a carry the worst in the NFL of any RB with a minimum of 10 carries and he wasnt even thrown to a single time. He got a decent singing bonus of $45,000 compared to what Van Demark who yesterday got $175,000 puts in perspective though. Jackson was actually cut during the 53 man cut down and then signed to the practice squad so not like the club loved him and no other team put in a request.

Borghi was expected to be drafted from round 5-7 and it was surprising he dropped, Verdell dropped due to injury concerns and his height. Both were college stars some stats. Jackson last season was not a projected draft pick.

Borghi- 369 carries 2,158 yards 5.8 avg 32 tds    156 catches 1,134 yards 9 td (led ncca in catches by rb last season)

Verdell- 542 carries 2,924 yards 5.4 avg 26 tds     58 catches 610 yards 4 tds

Jackson- 526 carries 2,267 yards 4.3 avg 18 tds    61 catches 534 yards 4 tds

I enjoy when we have positions being battled for and pay much more attention to bottom of the roster moves and spots then most (Probably what gives me some of a leg up in our annual 53 man roster contest over many).

I think we will see a clear separation in these backs and also a vet may come in for carries (Also as mention earlier Price will be in the mix also). 

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Max b reminds me of Woodhead, sproles,Austin ekler

JoJo Domain, was a 2021 Associated Press 2nd Team All - American.

"Well-built, balanced athlete with field speed and closing burst … comfortable playing in space with the hips to smoothly transition and maintain his momentum on coverage turns … reads the eyes of the quarterback and jumps passing lane".

"A three-year starter at Nebraska, Domann played a hybrid nickel linebacker role in defensive coordinator Erik Chinander’s 4-2-5 base scheme. A former safety, he was asked to cover a lot of space in the slot and gave up his share of receptions, but he allowed only 5.4 yards per catch and zero touchdowns as an AllAmerican in 2021."

"Overall, Domann
lacks length and needs to play with better control as a finisher, but his athleticism and anticipation fuel his versatility in space, which should earn him a subpackage and special teams role in the NFL, stylistically similar to LB Jabril Cox."

The Athletic - Brugler

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because every team in the NFL didn’t think he was worthy of drafting.  This is a case of just because someone is good in college doesn’t mean he will project well to next level.  If teams thought he would have someone would have drafted him at some point.

Tell me why a particular player went undrafted.....without telling me why a particular player went undrafted.

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

We signed Dabo?  This is the guy I'm most intrigued by.... I bet he lands a PS spot.

Best part is, as part of the pathways program, AFC south got one international player allocated to each team this year.  This might be the best year to have one, and the best guy to get....supreme athlete, played FB for only five years, won defensive MVP of euro league.... Lesser comp, but he was the top of the top there.... 

And he doesn't count against the 90 man, and can even be en 11th member of our PS....

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Last year, there were around 1700 players entering the draft. This year, there are around 2800. This is a DEEP draft class. Our day two is like getting four 2nd round picks tbh in a normal draft. Then we are able to get some day 3 picks with high traits and an UDFA class that is MUCH better than normal classes for one team. There are 10 players in our UDFA pool this year that could of been drafted on day 3. This is HUGE for us. We could hypothetically have a whole new class of players that could of went from rounds 4-7 in our UDFA signings. That's how deep this class is.

I expect 3-5 players from this UDFA class to make it on the 53. Not as starters necessarily, but solid depth guys. 

I think you’re going to be disappointed at how few UDFA make the 53 — if any.  I think they’ll make up the bulk of the PS. 

I think there’s a chance some of our final draft picks don’t make the final 53.  But hopefully, they clear and go to the PS. 

For the record, just by way of background…. The reason the draft class was so big, is that the NCAA granted kids who wanted it an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. 

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

tenor.gif 

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't see much buzz about the OT from U Conn.   Big signing bonus at $175,000 GUARANTEED.....

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2022/4/30/23051160/uconn-offensive-tackle-ryan-van-demark-signs-with-indianapolis-colts-as-undrafted-free-agent

Bu the way, the $175,000 is NOT a bonus.  It’s the total guaranteed money which includes salary.  The total team bonus pool money is roughly $168,000 to sign all of their FA class.   

So this guy may have received a signing bonus of maybe $15,000 to $25,000.    The rest will be his salary.   Hope this clarifies. 

Archived