Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select DT Curtis Brooks With Pick 216

LiveAndLetAddai

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Drafting 2 DTs in the 5th and 6th rounds put Grover on notice?    Hardly.   One of them has already been called a back up to Buckner. 

Nor do I think this new defense is far from the old defense.   I think Bradley was picked because his defense is closer to the Flus defense than it is different. 

Rush 4, drop 7 into zone, blitz rarely.   I think the differences have been over-stated by the Flus-haters. 

Philosophies yes, but I think the one main difference is unleashing the front 4. Attack..attack and attack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, krunk said:

Not true.  You ever notice how when someone is not a scheme fit Ballard gets rid of them?  Grover was known for getting sacks coming out of College. Yeah this is the NFL but i dont think hes limited athletically to just run stuffing. These other guys have not even proven what they can do on this level. Im betting Grover shows us a bit more in this scheme now that he can just shoot one gap instead of holding up 2. I dont think his job is at risk at all. However i do like what the new guys bring to our rotation as a whole.

I never said job at risk. New philosophy with regards to the Dline. Everyone is going to have very good pass rush abilities or they won't get many opportunities.

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

Bradley was picked because he is who Ballard wanted all along ever since he came here and Flus's defense is closer to Bradley/Seattle's. So, it's actually the other way around. 

Ballard has always wanted the Pats offensive scheme and the Seattle defensive scheme. I'm not sure why, I mean I do but I personally think those schemes are old hat a bit. I could be wrong. It's why Ballard has never valued wideouts and why he values the QB more as Brady always made a bunch of Jags in the Pats offense look like superstars. In some cases, Brady turned them into superstars. Ballard believes the right QB here could do the same with our jags. 

So originally that is why Mcdaniels was his top candidate and Bradley was not available, so Mcdaniels mentioned Flus as his scheme was similar to Bradley. So, we got Flus. When Mcdaniels backed out, Reich was selected as Reich's Eagle's scheme was very similar to the Pats offense, so we got the bi-product of the schemes Ballard really wanted. Bradley became available along with Flus moving on, so now we have the Seattle defense and a similar offense to the Pats.

There you go. 

Appreciate the time you took to write such a long post. 

I don't know about Bradley being who Ballard wanted all along.    I've never read that anywhere.   Not in a story, or in anyone's post.    But about Eberflus,  I'm sorry,  but you are incorrect on that.    And I can prove it.

Here is an excerpt from a Coltswire story dated Feb. 8, 2018.   The Colts had announced we were keeping Flus after McDaniels jilted us.     I'm cutting and pasting the key part....

“I got to know Matt Eberflus a few years ago and was blown away by Matt. Matt was a coveted coach,” Ballard told reporters. “He’s a very talented defensive coordinator. I feel very lucky to have Matt Eberflus in the building running a scheme that I think fits our team that we can scout for and that fits our building.”

Ballard hinted that the Colts will likely change their defensive scheme, going from a 3-4 to a 4-3. The latter is what the Dallas Cowboys run under Rod Marinelli and the scheme that Eberflus has been in since becoming the linebackers coach in 2011.

I've done the homework.   There is zero reason to think McDaniels picked Flus.   He was Ballard's pick recommened to McDaniels who interviewed him and went along.    McDaniels exposure to defenses have all been a 3-4.   It's what NE runs. When McDaneils became a head coach at Denver,  it's what the Broncos ran there as well.   JM has no background with a 4-3.    Honestly, there's no reason to think McDaniels could pick Flus out of a police line-up.    If he was McDaniels choice,  why did he need to interview him for 3-4 hours before signing off?    Because he didn't know him.   Ballard strongly recommended him because Flus ran the defense that Ballard likes.   And, as Ballard said,  they have known each other for years, and CB was hugely impressed by ME.   I don't even think Flus had been a DC before?   He was the Cowboys LB coach.   Why would McDaniels want to pick someone with no experience to run a defense he's never been involved with?    Because he was Ballard's choice.

As for Bradley....   has there been a Ballard quote saying he's always wanted to hire Gus Bradley?    Did Ballard say that when we hired him?     If so,  I missed that.    Not saying it didn't happen, I'm only saying I didn't see that.     Either way,  the two defenses are similar....    maybe not identical, but similar enough that the personnel we have should be able to make a seamless transition.    But yes, we need more pieces that Bradley would like....   and I'd expect Ballard to get those pieces in the years to come....

Apologies this went so long....

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know about Bradley being who Ballard wanted all along.    I've never read that anywhere.   Not in a story, or in anyone's post.    But about Eberflus,  I'm sorry,  but you are incorrect on that.    And I can prove it.

Here is an excerpt from a Coltswire story dated Feb. 8, 2018.   The Colts had announced we were keeping Flus after McDaniels jilted us.     I'm cutting and pasting the key part....

“I got to know Matt Eberflus a few years ago and was blown away by Matt. Matt was a coveted coach,” Ballard told reporters. “He’s a very talented defensive coordinator. I feel very lucky to have Matt Eberflus in the building running a scheme that I think fits our team that we can scout for and that fits our building.”

Ballard hinted that the Colts will likely change their defensive scheme, going from a 3-4 to a 4-3. The latter is what the Dallas Cowboys run under Rod Marinelli and the scheme that Eberflus has been in since becoming the linebackers coach in 2011.

I've done the homework.   There is zero reason to think McDaniels picked Flus.   He was Ballard's pick recommened to McDaniels who interviewed him and went along.    McDaniels exposure to defenses have all been a 3-4.   It's what NE runs. When McDaneils became a head coach at Denver,  it's what the Broncos ran there as well.   JM has no background with a 4-3.    Honestly, there's no reason to think McDaniels could pick Flus out of a police line-up.    If he was McDaniels choice,  why did he need to interview him for 3-4 hours before signing off?    Because he didn't know him.   Ballard strongly recommended him because Flus ran the defense that Ballard likes.   And, as Ballard said,  they have known each other for years, and CB was hugely impressed by ME.   I don't even think Flus had been a DC before?   He was the Cowboys LB coach.   Why would McDaniels want to pick someone with no experience to run a defense he's never been involved with?    Because he was Ballard's choice.

As for Bradley....   has there been a Ballard quote saying he's always wanted to hire Gus Bradley?    Did Ballard say that when we hired him?     If so,  I missed that.    Not saying it didn't happen, I'm only saying I didn't see that.     Either way,  the two defenses are similar....    maybe not identical, but similar enough that the personnel we have should be able to make a seamless transition.    But yes, we need more pieces that Bradley would like....   and I'd expect Ballard to get those pieces in the years to come....

I started to say something about that Bradley/Eberflus post but i knew youd take care of it better than me.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I might be wrong about Mcdaniels and Flus however It's the coordinators scheme Ballard coveted. If Flus was coveted, it's because Bradley wasn't available but had similar scheme and yes Ballard has stated as such early on regarding his scheme preferences, i.e. New England and Seattle. It's also a huge reason he lured Dobbs or Dodds (Ed), whatever his name is, out of Seattle. It's been his preference all along. 

Archived