Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select DT Curtis Brooks With Pick 216

LiveAndLetAddai

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding depth….

To start camp, I’m expecting Pryor to be the LT and Pinter to be the RG.   I think Fries is depth.   I think Raimann is depth.   Others are depth.  

Are you expecting something different?  

Yeah I think Raimann wins LT job barring injury. Relegating Pryor and Pinter to fight for RG. 

We could also start Pryor and Pinter and let Raimann develop.  But I think Raimann wins a job somewhere on the line. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah I think Raimann wins LT job barring injury. Relegating Pryor and Pinter to fight for RG. 

We could also start Pryor and Pinter and let Raimann develop.  But I think Raimann wins a job somewhere on the line. 

Yeah, i agree with this. Raimann is good to win the job from training camp and preseason IMO. He could of went higher than 77 if it weren't for medical issues, so don't be fooled, the talent outweighs the draft position. He doesn't need a learning curve. He's good enough to start right away. I realize he's a bit raw and just learned how to play a few years ago, but he actually has upside and an upward trajectory, and Ballard thinks himself from an interview that he can be a starting left tackle and they will play the best 5 (so I guess that means Pryor could be moved at times to other positions). 

Like the pick; can see him as being a poor man's Ed Oliver, or something comparable to Montae Reagor at 6'2'' 285 lbs, except he's not asked to be a primary pass rusher but a backup situational rusher. Can also play DE on running downs.

In any case, can't go wrong spending a late 6th rounder for him.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding depth….

To start camp, I’m expecting Pryor to be the LT and Pinter to be the RG.   I think Fries is depth.   I think Raimann is depth.   Others are depth.  

Are you expecting something different?  

Gotta believe Raimann has a fair amount of work to do on his techniques and playing with power to be ready for LT duties. lol

18 hours ago, CardiacColts said:

I’m curious how they plan to use him. He seems really small. 

I'm curious how they plan to use Grover if he can't break through to pressure the QB to Gus's liking. Grove is on notice already, that is certain.

39 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm curious how they plan to use Grover if he can't break through to pressure the QB to Gus's liking. Grove is on notice already, that is certain.

Huh?

Grover is the primary run stopper in this defense.   He gets pulled on passing downs.   How is that “being out on notice.” ??

Not even sure there’s a true backup nose on this defense?   Other players appear to be in the 280-300 pound range for added quickness for rushing the quarterback. 

First, disclaimer, I still haven't actually watched his tape, only highlights... but... 

For some reason he fell through the cracks for me and I never really paid attention to him in the pre-draft process. His statistical and athletic profiles look like those of a player that needs to be drafted much higher. Now I kind of want to know why he didn't?

From what I gather he was asked to play a lot of 2 gap containment(even a lot of 0-tech) and because of his physical profile(he's smaller than regular nose) he might have had trouble with runs straight at him and double teams. 

This pick has me very intrigued. He might be a hidden gem for us once we move him at 3tech in out gap penetrating scheme. I will try to find some of his film and watch. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

First, disclaimer, I still haven't actually watched his tape, only highlights... but... 

For some reason he fell through the cracks for me and I never really paid attention to him in the pre-draft process. His statistical and athletic profiles look like those of a player that needs to be drafted much higher. Now I kind of want to know why he didn't?

From what I gather he was asked to play a lot of 2 gap containment(even a lot of 0-tech) and because of his physical profile(he's smaller than regular nose) he might have had trouble with runs straight at him and double teams. 

This pick has me very intrigued. He might be a hidden gem for us once we move him at 3tech in out gap penetrating scheme. I will try to find some of his film and watch. 

He said teams were worried about his size. Also he's 25 so an older player which some teams don't like. I'm glad we are not one of those teams

Initial hope for this guy is a replacement for Stallworth. Eventually, maybe he gives Buckner some rest so he's not so beaten at the end of the season. Always interesting how some teams find a reason not to draft a guy who played well for a good team. 

18 hours ago, stitches said:

There were about 2700 draft eligble players compared to a usual 1700.
  MANY took an extra year and are actually 4-5 year players with a lot of 23-24+ year olds.
 I shared recently that one draft grader said he already had 50 that graded 3rd rd with many left to grade. So, this said, this guy likely had at least a 4th rd grade.
 Our new scheme requires all 4 d-lineman to penetrate, (Buckner said, "break it up". Smaller, quicker, more athletic DT's. The Cincy Bearcat HC bragged on our other even smaller DT being really smart, and highly effective at stringing out zone blocks forcing O-lineman from doing what They are asked to do.
 This is looking very interesting, and Grover has a lot to think about.

Eric Johnson I can see as being a replacement for Stallworth. 6'4'' 299 (can easily get to 305 or 310 with little effort).

Brooks at 6'2'' 285 being a backup for Buckner, with Dayo also being able to rotate at backup 3-tech position.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Grover is the primary run stopper in this defense.   He gets pulled on passing downs.   How is that “being out on notice.” ??

Not even sure there’s a true backup nose on this defense?   Other players appear to be in the 280-300 pound range for added quickness for rushing the quarterback. 

Bradley doesn't use a big nose when playing cover 3, as you and i had an exchange over recentley.
 The draft brought Bradley what he wants, smaller, more athletic, capable of stunts and twists. Grove got the memo alright.
  Again, we will see. 

On 4/30/2022 at 6:13 PM, Caffrey said:

Funny who SB Champ DT Aaron Donald is smaller at 6-1, 280 and nobody says he is too small.  If he player can play and makes plays, that is what counts.

I'm not saying Brooks is another Aaron Donald but we often get fixated on that 300 lbs DT benchmark.  Brooks could be a situational DT back-up, along with our other rookie DT draftee Eric Johnson to give our starting DT's, Buckner and Stewart a breather and the both have good speed for DT's and run, hustle, and get after the QB.  We also have prior #2 DL's; T. Lewis, Odeyingbo, and Banogu to have a nice DL rotation.  Hopefully Banogu can have a break through year but that may be a reach.

I am from Atlanta and a  new Colts fan (because of Matt Ryan).  Atlanta's DT is Grady Jarret. Dropped to 5th round because of height and size. He is now a pro bowler and the best player on the Falcons. You just never know.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:54 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, i agree with this. Raimann is good to win the job from training camp and preseason IMO. He could of went higher than 77 if it weren't for medical issues, so don't be fooled, the talent outweighs the draft position. He doesn't need a learning curve. He's good enough to start right away. I realize he's a bit raw and just learned how to play a few years ago, but he actually has upside and an upward trajectory, and Ballard thinks himself from an interview that he can be a starting left tackle and they will play the best 5 (so I guess that means Pryor could be moved at times to other positions). 

I'm hoping Pryor rises to the opportunity to start by getting thinner and quicker.

So that the loser of the LT job moves to RT and Smith finally gets to prove he is a Pro Bowl caliber guard. Running inside well devastates a defense, and opens up the outside and play action.

48 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bradley doesn't use a big nose when playing cover 3, as you and i had an exchange over recentley.
 The draft brought Bradley what he wants, smaller, more athletic, capable of stunts and twists. Grove got the memo alright.
  Again, we will see. 

Sorry….  Wasn’t trying to be argumentative.   Honestly, I didn’t know that about Bradley and don’t recall that exchange.   

Certainly be worth watching….   

1 hour ago, TheShadow said:

I am from Atlanta and a  new Colts fan (because of Matt Ryan).  Atlanta's DT is Grady Jarret. Dropped to 5th round because of height and size. He is now a pro bowler and the best player on the Falcons. You just never know.

Ha. Speaking of Grady. He's knows all about those day 3 diamonds in the rough

GM Ballard speaks highly of University of Cincinnati head coach, Luke Fickell who had 9 players selected in this years draft.  Was undefeated at 13-0 until they got beat handily by Alabama in the National semi-final game.  Anyway, Coach Fickell says he would consider, DT Curtis Brooks to be the teams MVP for what he was able to while being asked to play NT.  He would often occupy the OC and or OG, may not make the tackle but sometimes he would, but allowed his other defensive team mates to make the tackle.  His play was the key to the Univ of Cincy defensive success.  Coach Fickell also mentioned he was disappointed Brooks was not invited to the NFL combine to show his physical attributes as again, he considered him the team's defensive MVP, on a defense that has #1 (4) CB "Sauce Gardner", #2 (62) S Bryan Cook, #3 (100) DE Myjai Sanders, #4 (109) CB Coby Bryant, #6 (182) LB Darrian Beavers, and #6 (216) Our DT Curtis Brooks, again whom Cincy Head Coach considered the team's Defensive MVP.

Note: The Bearcats seems to have an elite college defensive backfield but the team in general got outplayed by Alabama in the National semi-final game.  As you know we drafted Brooks team mate WR Alec Pierce at #2, did not see him much in the Cincy/Bama highlights but QB Ridder was under constant pressure all game by the Bama defense.  I did see UDFA WR Michael Young catch a couple nice passes against Bama.  Maybe Pierce was being consistently double teamed?

Also, Curtis Brooks did mention the Colts seem to be the most professional as far as analyzing players to include having them tour the Cincy football facility, implying the Colts was the most thorough and professional in their analysis. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Cotton Bowl: Bearcats DT Curtis Brooks talks to media

^If anyone wants to take a listen to him and how he answers media questions, this is a good 10 min or so video. 

I can see a little IceCube eye brow raising in him.  Looks like he can get mean!  Hopefully he plays with a chip on his shoulder and will be our diamond in the rough.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm hoping Pryor rises to the opportunity to start by getting thinner and quicker.

So that the loser of the LT job moves to RT and Smith finally gets to prove he is a Pro Bowl caliber guard. Running inside well devastates a defense, and opens up the outside and play action.

I'd Rather Smith get All Pro and could care less about Pro Bowl.  Just MHO though.

It's amazing how much further our D-line has progressed since Dungy's 2000s days with undersized DTs 250-280 lbs (e.g. Eric Foster, Keyunta Dawson)...by the 3rd quarter, tired out and opposing teams ran it down our throats. Our team could only play with a lead.

Now those players are our DEs and situational 2nd-3rd string pass rushers who are at full strength and have yet to break a sweat during the game. I can see this being our DL to start the season:

DE: Paye, Dayo

1T: Stewart, Eric Johnson

3T: Buckner, Curtis Brooks

DE: Ngakoue, Lewis, Banogu

Love to see this guy as a change-up from bigger guys and maybe give Buckner a little rest. He also seems like a guy who might be able to move to strong side DE if needed. Let's face it, the more DL you can roll in and out without a loss of productivity, the better. 

18 hours ago, rock8591 said:

It's amazing how much further our D-line has progressed since Dungy's 2000s days with undersized DTs 250-280 lbs (e.g. Eric Foster, Keyunta Dawson)...by the 3rd quarter, tired out and opposing teams ran it down our throats. Our team could only play with a lead.

Now those players are our DEs and situational 2nd-3rd string pass rushers who are at full strength and have yet to break a sweat during the game. I can see this being our DL to start the season:

DE: Paye, Dayo

1T: Stewart, Eric Johnson

3T: Buckner, Curtis Brooks

DE: Ngakoue, Lewis, Banogu

CB said that he wants to have 10 guys on DL that can play

I think Banogu washes out this year..... that leaves 8

I also worry about the depth behind Stewart. Johnson is 300 lbs listed .....  do we go into the season with no proven depth at 1 tech?

I think (hope) that we add 1 or 2 rotational pieces

There will be upcoming cuts that will give us opportunity

On 5/2/2022 at 10:00 AM, throwing BBZ said:

There were about 2700 draft eligble players compared to a usual 1700.
  MANY took an extra year and are actually 4-5 year players with a lot of 23-24+ year olds.
 I shared recently that one draft grader said he already had 50 that graded 3rd rd with many left to grade. So, this said, this guy likely had at least a 4th rd grade.

So this years draft may buck the system a bit.  

Typically with NFL starters, they are drafted in early rounds:

Round 1 - 30%

Round 2 - 17%

Round 3 - 13%

Round 4 - 11%

Round 5 - 6%

Round 6 - 5%

Round 7 - 4%

Undrafted - 14%

1 hour ago, Myles said:

So this years draft may buck the system a bit.  

Typically with NFL starters, they are drafted in early rounds:

Round 1 - 30%

Round 2 - 17%

Round 3 - 13%

Round 4 - 11%

Round 5 - 6%

Round 6 - 5%

Round 7 - 4%

Undrafted - 14%

And the extra year so many took gives me reason to believe our rookies will be better depth than we normally expect. I'm particularly hopeful for our o-line prospects that 2-3 are capable depth as the season goes along. 

On 5/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I'd Rather Smith get All Pro and could care less about Pro Bowl.  Just MHO though.

The only way he ever makes a pro bowl at T is if we are so good as a team and on tv a lot that he gets carried in with the tide of popularity. So lol.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The only way he ever makes a pro bowl at T is if we are so good as a team and on tv a lot that he gets carried in with the tide of popularity. So lol.

Smith is an excellent right tackle, one of the best in the league.   Him making a pro bowl isn't out of the question.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:05 PM, compuls1v3 said:

I can see a little IceCube eye brow raising in him.  Looks like he can get mean!  Hopefully he plays with a chip on his shoulder and will be our diamond in the rough.

Does he say it was a good day because he didn’t have to use his ak?

On 5/1/2022 at 8:19 AM, rock8591 said:

Like the pick; can see him as being a poor man's Ed Oliver, or something comparable to Montae Reagor at 6'2'' 285 lbs, except he's not asked to be a primary pass rusher but a backup situational rusher. Can also play DE on running downs.

In any case, can't go wrong spending a late 6th rounder for him.

I always thought Ed Oliver was to light to be dominant in NFL. At his weight, he was meant to be a  rusher but they tried him as every down player

On 5/1/2022 at 10:27 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Wel this D front plays different than under Flus; thank God. Their primary role on every down is to attack the qb and if they manage to tackle the running back on the way to the qb, then they have their job lol. So, yeah, Grover is not really suited for this D line. Drafting 2 dts should put more than Grover on notice.

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wel this D front plays different than under Flus; thank God. Their primary role on every down is to attack the qb and if they manage to tackle the running back on the way to the qb, then they have their job lol. So, yeah, Grover is not really suited for this D line. Drafting 2 dts should put more than Grover on notice.

Not true.  You ever notice how when someone is not a scheme fit Ballard gets rid of them?  Grover was known for getting sacks coming out of College. Yeah this is the NFL but i dont think hes limited athletically to just run stuffing. These other guys have not even proven what they can do on this level. Im betting Grover shows us a bit more in this scheme now that he can just shoot one gap instead of holding up 2. I dont think his job is at risk at all. However i do like what the new guys bring to our rotation as a whole.

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Drafting 2 DTs in the 5th and 6th rounds put Grover on notice?    Hardly.   One of them has already been called a back up to Buckner. 

Nor do I think this new defense is far from the old defense.   I think Bradley was picked because his defense is closer to the Flus defense than it is different. 

Rush 4, drop 7 into zone, blitz rarely.   I think the differences have been over-stated by the Flus-haters. 

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Drafting 2 DTs in the 5th and 6th rounds put Grover on notice?    Hardly.   One of them has already been called a back up to Buckner. 

Nor do I think this new defense is far from the old defense.   I think Bradley was picked because his defense is closer to the Flus defense than it is different. 

Rush 4, drop 7 into zone, blitz rarely.   I think the differences have been over-stated by the Flus-haters. 

Bradley was picked because he is who Ballard wanted all along ever since he came here and Flus's defense is closer to Bradley/Seattle's. So, it's actually the other way around. 

Ballard has always wanted the Pats offensive scheme and the Seattle defensive scheme. I'm not sure why, I mean I do but I personally think those schemes are old hat a bit. I could be wrong. It's why Ballard has never valued wideouts and why he values the QB more as Brady always made a bunch of Jags in the Pats offense look like superstars. In some cases, Brady turned them into superstars. Ballard believes the right QB here could do the same with our jags. 

So originally that is why Mcdaniels was his top candidate and Bradley was not available, so Mcdaniels mentioned Flus as his scheme was similar to Bradley. So, we got Flus. When Mcdaniels backed out, Reich was selected as Reich's Eagle's scheme was very similar to the Pats offense, so we got the bi-product of the schemes Ballard really wanted. Bradley became available along with Flus moving on, so now we have the Seattle defense and a similar offense to the Pats.

There you go. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the Leo supplants the traditional Sam LB and lines up wide on the line, meaning we rush 5 and drop 6?

Edit: Nevermind, read up on it. More of a weak side DE aligned wide who sometimes stands and takes a step back from the line giving us more of a 3-4 look.

Carry on! haha

Archived