Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts Day 2 Draft: Thoughts and Poll

EastStreet

2022 Colts Day 2 Draft: Thoughts and Poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 53: WR Alec Pierce - #98 PFF rank, 6.16 NFL.com grade (backup, potential starter)

2. 2. Pick 73: TE Jelani Woods - PFF #106, NFL Grade 6.18 (backup, potential starter)

3. 3. Pick 77: OT Bernhard Rainmann - PFF #18, NFL.com rating 6.39 (Plus starter)

4. 4. Pick 96: S Nick Cross - PFF #61, NFL.com rating 6.28 (average starter)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2022 at 07:41 AM

Likely will go back on break after tonight, but curious to see thoughts on day 2. Anyway, gonna put in the work for the poll and some basic ratings/ranks tonight.

Overall - I think the first two picks were a bit of reaches, and likely won't translate into immediate impact on O (which we really need in the receiving space). I think the last two picks were great value, and could end up being the jewels of the draft a few years down the road. All have upside, but Rainmann was incredible value, and Cross should be a ST's stud from day one. 

• Pick 53:
    • WR Alec Pierce
      • #98 PFF rank
      • 6.16 NFL.com grade (backup, potential starter)
      • Thoughts
        • Positives - Great speed and size
        • Negatives/Questions - route running, agility
        • Pondering - he's more X-type... Pitt moved to slot, or are we going totally big/possession
      • Overall - good upside, but we still need a Z (speed outside guy). Hoping PC can stay healthy??? A bit of a reach IMO, and most thought he'd be a R3 guy. 
  • Pick 73:
    • TE Jelani Woods
      • PFF #106
      • NFL Grade 6.18 (backup, potential starter)
      • Thoughts
        • Positives - Great RAS and good production in his last season
        • Negatives/Questions - hands, blocking, lower body, agility
        • Pondering - Similar to MAC in a lot of ways, but perhaps more football ready even though he is a QB covert. 
      • Overall - like the upside, but a lot of holes. Thought we'd go after more of a "move TE", so guessing they are still high on Granson in year 2. 
  • Pick 77:
    • OT Bernhard Rainmann
      • PFF #18
      • NFL.com rating 6.39 (Plus starter)
      • Thoughts
        • Positives - TE convert with great RAS. Only scratching the surface. 
        • Negatives - will take time as he's a TE covert
      • Overall - huge value. Can't believe he was still there. Many thought he would go 1R, and a 3R is fantastic. 
  • Pick 96:
    • S Nick Cross
      • PFF #61
      • NFL.com rating 6.28 (average starter)
      • Thoughts
        • Positives - elite speed, great downhill tackler
        • Negatives - lateral movement
      • Overall - great value. Will likely challenge Blackmon early for FS. More upside as a C3 centerfielder FS than Blackmon IMO. Huge win if this allows Blackmon to play SS, which IMO is his best position (highest upside).

For a team that had no first round pick I think the Colts have killed this draft.  

1st: Pick involved in the trade that got AJ Brown out of the division.

2nd:  Traded back still probably got the guy they wanted at WR who on paper is exactly what the doctor ordered

3rd:  Got a tightend that some really feel was a steal, followed that up by getting the LT that Venturi was disappointed they didn’t stick at 42 and take and then traded back into the round to get the fastest safety in the draft.  

The draft could end tonight for Ballard and on paper he’s hit it out of the park.  Of course drafts aren’t decided on paper but at least for tonight Colts fans should feel very very good about their draft.  

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Likely will go back on break after tonight, but curious to see thoughts on day 2. Anyway, gonna put in the work for the poll and some basic ratings/ranks tonight.

Overall - I think the first two picks were a bit of reaches, and likely won't translate into immediate impact on O (which we really need in the receiving space). I think the last two picks were great value, and could end up being the jewels of the draft a few years down the road. All have upside, but Rainmann was incredible value, and Cross should be a ST's stud from day one. 

• Pick 53:
    • WR Alec Pierce
      • #98 PFF rank
      • Thoughts
        • Pondering - he's more X-type... Pitt moved to slot, or are we going totally big/possession
      • Overall - good upside, but we still need a Z (speed outside guy). Hoping PC can stay healthy??? A bit of a reach IMO, and most thought he'd be a R3 guy. 
  • Pick 73:
    • TE Jelani Woods
      • PFF #106
      • Thoughts
        • Pondering - Similar to MAC in a lot of ways, but perhaps more football ready even though he is a QB covert. 
      • Overall - like the upside, but a lot of holes. Thought we'd go after more of a "move TE", so guessing they are still high on Granson in year 2. 
  • Pick 77:
    • OT Bernhard Rainmann
      • PFF #18
      • Thoughts
      • Overall - huge value. Can't believe he was still there. Many thought he would go 1R, and a 3R is fantastic. 
  • Pick 96:
    • S Nick Cross
      • PFF #61
      • Thoughts
      • Overall - great value. Will likely challenge Blackmon early for FS. More upside as a C3 centerfielder FS than Blackmon IMO. Huge win if this allows Blackmon to play SS, which IMO is his best position (highest upside).

I never evaluate a draft especially on the same night. All u can say is that he definitely filled a lot of needs. What is also apparent is that he drafted a lot of physical specimens. Let's hope they also become good football players. I really like Cross as he kind of reminds me of Bob Sanders. I truly believe this draft will also make or break Ballard. He is taking a lot of risks with these players as they have a ton of upside but they also come with the possibility of just being great athletes.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I never evaluate a draft especially on the same night. All u can say is that he definitely filled a lot of needs. What is also apparent is that he drafted a lot of physical specimens. Let's hope they also become good football players. I really like Cross as he kind of reminds me of Bob Sanders. I truly believe this draft will also make or break Ballard. He is taking a lot of risks with these players as they have a ton of upside but they also come with the possibility of just being great athletes.

Ballard has been a good drafter overall. This will not be a make or break draft for him.

Traits are fine to draft on if they hit, but his first two picks were dice rolls. I hope they work out. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Ballard has been a good drafter overall. This will not be a make or break draft for him.

Traits are fine to draft on if they hit, but his first two picks were dice rolls. I hope they work out. 

I think this year, he went for elite traits more than ever. I think he is really pushing the envelope. Trying to really push the Colts over the top with some dynamic play makers. I am totally in with all his off season moves and his draft picks. I like Pearce, the LT and Cross. I think the te is a stretch but if he works out, he will be a match up night mare.

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree, very risky due to the fact Ballard needs to do well with this draft due to so many glaring holes.  Pierce seems so young in his interview, like a high school player and not really well developed in the shoulders (upper body) but even he uses the term tall and skinny ---  (6'3") , but I was figuring he would be more filled out.  Sometimes hard to tell physique in uni's but just seems really young and green.  If he works out, I'd put Ballard on genius level.

I give this draft a solid B. I went B,C,B,B. We filled huge needs. My only C was Woods. I love the Pierce pick. I think he will be a good pro. He was great with  Cincinnati, tall and fast. Nick Cross is a nice interesting pick as well. That pick is more like a B plus. Great athlete. I gave Rainmann a B as well. He may end up being our starting LT by mid season. Couple our picks with the Titans losing Brown, this has been a good 2 days.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think this year, he went for elite traits more than ever. I think he is really pushing the envelope. Trying to really push the Colts over the top with some dynamic play makers. I am totally in with all his off season moves and his draft picks. I like Pearce, the LT and Cross. I think the te is a stretch but if he works out, he will be a match up night mare.

While I agree he went "trait" more than ever with his first two picks, I think they were both long term picks. Not push the team over the top picks for this year. 

FR needs to develop the young talent. Find a use for them according to their existing/now strengths, not force fit them. 

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I give this draft a solid B. I went B,C,B,B. We filled huge needs. My only C was Woods. I love the Pierce pick. I think he will be a good pro. He was great with  Cincinnati, tall and fast. Nick Cross is a nice interesting pick as well. That pick is more like a B plus. Great athlete. I gave Rainmann a B as well. He may end up being our starting LT by mid season. Couple our picks with the Titans losing Brown, this has been a good 2 days.

I do want to add to this. Although I gave Woods a C, that doesn't mean he can't end up being good. A C isn't a bad grade. He is more like a B Minus. Also Matt Ryan loves the TE.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with all of this. It’s hard to judge  bc it seems extremely needs based.  We needed talent at every position taken. Maybe that’s why they traded back to pick their needs at the right value compared to who was on the board. Still, these 4 guys have a chance to be very good football players for our team. 

I will say I’m interested to see how they will use Pierce. Maybe they are wanting to move players around.  Pittman splits X and Slot, Pierce X and Z and Patmon Z and Slot. Would be a great way to get mismatches. All big fast receiver. Plus our tight ends are big and fast too.  Wow that’s a lot of speed available. 

I’m still learning who these guys are and what they do well.   Probably won’t see much of the first three picks to until mid season into next year unless injuries happen. Just off needs alone I see the the Safety starting possibly day 1. 

I like Pierce. I said in another thread but I was hoping the Colts would come away with Watson, Moore, or Pierce and they did. Pierce has the speed to stretch the field.

I'm not sure what to make of Woods. I don't hate the pick but it feels like a boom or bust pick. His athletic profile is off the charts but that isn't everything. MAC has a nice athletic profile himself while I think most of us like him as a player he isn't elevating the offense. La'Raven Clark had all of the traits you could ask for in a LT in round 3 several years ago and he didn't do much here. I think it's clear the Colts believe he can be both a blocker and receiving threat as in a much more athletic and dynamic Jack Doyle.

I was probably the most down on the Rainmann pick. I know he was widely projected to go much higher but when a guy falls, especially one at a premium position, I wonder why. I thought it was rumored that there are serious concerns about his long-term durability. If a guy can't get/stay on the field his talent doesn't matter. That said we don't know the details of his medicals but him dropping makes me suspect that there is something to the medical concerns. 

I like Cross. I thought round 3-4 would be a great opportunity to get a guy who can be a legit FS and Cross could be that guy.  He should be good on special teams instantly.

I don't anticipate any of these guys make a big impact right away. To be fair I wasn't expecting that given where the Colts were picking and the positions I thought they would address. Without the instant impact guy it's hard to say I love the draft but I feel pretty good about it. I think all 4 should be in the mix and play as rookies but not as difference makers right away.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:
  • Overall - good upside, but we still need a Z (speed outside guy).

You've said this several times and I need help understanding your thinking.  You acknowledge that he has speed for the outside but lacks route running agility.  But you seem adamant on projecting him to X.

IMO, and X is a guy who must run routes well because he lacks the deep speed for the outside....so he becomes the "possession guy".  Just wondering how you get from noting Pierces speed and lack of route running, to then project him to the possession spot, then after you project him there go back and say we still need an outside speed guy?

No big deal.  Just having problems following.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do want to add to this. Although I gave Woods a C, that doesn't mean he can't end up being good. A C isn't a bad grade. He is more like a B Minus. Also Matt Ryan loves the TE.

Agree, same here. On tape its almost awkward to see him play, like a giant out there against DB's. Need to see how he does against NFL talent before giving out a grade

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

• Pick 53:
    • WR Alec Pierce
      • #98 PFF rank
      • Thoughts
  • Pick 73:
    • TE Jelani Woods
      • PFF #106
      • Thoughts
  • Pick 77:
    • OT Bernhard Rainmann
      • PFF #18
      • Thoughts
  • Pick 96:
    • S Nick Cross
      • PFF #61
      • Thoughts

Just wanted to point out Woods outscored Gronk in every category in the RAS subscores. He's raw and probably won't do much this season, but his upside is through the roof.

This is the best I've felt after the first couple days of the draft in a long time! Two more weapons for Matty Ice, What looks to be a possible Mainstay at LT and a human missle in the secondary.  I'd give the Colts an A+ so far. I'm looking forward to  Seeing who they draft today!

8 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

I like Pierce. I said in another thread but I was hoping the Colts would come away with Watson, Moore, or Pierce and they did. Pierce has the speed to stretch the field.

I'm not sure what to make of Woods. I don't hate the pick but it feels like a boom or bust pick. His athletic profile is off the charts but that isn't everything. MAC has a nice athletic profile himself while I think most of us like him as a player he isn't elevating the offense. La'Raven Clark had all of the traits you could ask for in a LT in round 3 several years ago and he didn't do much here. I think it's clear the Colts believe he can be both a blocker and receiving threat as in a much more athletic and dynamic Jack Doyle.

I was probably the most down on the Rainmann pick. I know he was widely projected to go much higher but when a guy falls, especially one at a premium position, I wonder why. I thought it was rumored that there are serious concerns about his long-term durability. If a guy can't get/stay on the field his talent doesn't matter. That said we don't know the details of his medicals but him dropping makes me suspect that there is something to the medical concerns. 

I like Cross. I thought round 3-4 would be a great opportunity to get a guy who can be a legit FS and Cross could be that guy.  He should be good on special teams instantly.

I don't anticipate any of these guys make a big impact right away. To be fair I wasn't expecting that given where the Colts were picking and the positions I thought they would address. Without the instant impact guy it's hard to say I love the draft but I feel pretty good about it. I think all 4 should be in the mix and play as rookies but not as difference makers right away.

Well if u get some good years out of a 3rd round left tackle, I would call that a win.

9 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with all of this. It’s hard to judge  bc it seems extremely needs based.  We needed talent at every position taken. Maybe that’s why they traded back to pick their needs at the right value compared to who was on the board. Still, these 4 guys have a chance to be very good football players for our team. 

I will say I’m interested to see how they will use Pierce. Maybe they are wanting to move players around.  Pittman splits X and Slot, Pierce X and Z and Patmon Z and Slot. Would be a great way to get mismatches. All big fast receiver. Plus our tight ends are big and fast too.  Wow that’s a lot of speed available. 

I’m still learning who these guys are and what they do well.   Probably won’t see much of the first three picks to until mid season into next year unless injuries happen. Just off needs alone I see the the Safety starting possibly day 1. 

He's our deep threat. That's all I know. The rest is gravy.

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think needs factor the majority of time, regardless of what is said publicly. I think it factors early on when teams create their board, at least to decent extent. For instance, if you're KC, you're not taking a QB, even if the BPA is a QB... etc.. So I'm fine with needs factoring. I do agree trading back to accumulate value (to fill need) is likely what happened. I didn't really understand the Pierce pick though in terms of need. We needed a Z, and he doesn't look like a Z to me. 

We're overstocked with bigs, so another reason I was a bit surprised with Pierce. 

Feeling like we might see Pitt more at slot, and simply a lot of two wide big sets. Reich used TY to post up short on the sideline way too much, and that's just cringeworthy to me (not typical Z use). So given that, Pierce is a better option to do that, if that's the plan. But I also think Strachan and Patmon could have been given chances to do that though. 

But yes, love the speed we have with our bigs. We just didn't use it much from a deep perspective. Hope that changes. 

My hope is we pick up a vet WR to come in and take over Z, even if TY returns. AP will need time IMO. I'd guess though that Woods gets early time simply because we're down Doyle with no obvious TE2 at this point. We'll see, but interesting. 

Not a huge fan of the day 3 picks. 

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

You've said this several times and I need help understanding your thinking.  You acknowledge that he has speed for the outside but lacks route running agility.  But you seem adamant on projecting him to X.

IMO, and X is a guy who must run routes well because he lacks the deep speed for the outside....so he becomes the "possession guy".  Just wondering how you get from noting Pierces speed and lack of route running, to then project him to the possession spot, then after you project him there go back and say we still need an outside speed guy?

No big deal.  Just having problems following.

Route running is most critical for Zs. 

Zs are your prototypical speed/agility guys. Size is a less of a concern. Zs are typically the most motioned, all over the field, etc.. Therefore route running / agility is paramount to the position. And the 2 biggest concerns for AP are route running and agility. 

Xs are traditionally more possession, and less diversity in routes. Size is more important than speed, but obviously speed and agility are positives. 

Slot can go either way. Traditional slots are closer to Zs, bully/big slots, closer to Xs. 

Anyway, that's the 101 type stuff. I'd recommend checking out Nextgen WR charts for Xs and Zs to better understand route diversity. 

11 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Just wanted to point out Woods outscored Gronk in every category in the RAS subscores. He's raw and probably won't do much this season, but his upside is through the roof.

I love Woods's upside, I just see him as a bit of project. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think needs factor the majority of time, regardless of what is said publicly. I think it factors early on when teams create their board, at least to decent extent. For instance, if you're KC, you're not taking a QB, even if the BPA is a QB... etc.. So I'm fine with needs factoring. I do agree trading back to accumulate value (to fill need) is likely what happened. I didn't really understand the Pierce pick though in terms of need. We needed a Z, and he doesn't look like a Z to me. 

We're overstocked with bigs, so another reason I was a bit surprised with Pierce. 

Feeling like we might see Pitt more at slot, and simply a lot of two wide big sets. Reich used TY to post up short on the sideline way too much, and that's just cringeworthy to me (not typical Z use). So given that, Pierce is a better option to do that, if that's the plan. But I also think Strachan and Patmon could have been given chances to do that though. 

But yes, love the speed we have with our bigs. We just didn't use it much from a deep perspective. Hope that changes. 

My hope is we pick up a vet WR to come in and take over Z, even if TY returns. AP will need time IMO. I'd guess though that Woods gets early time simply because we're down Doyle with no obvious TE2 at this point. We'll see, but interesting. 

Not a huge fan of the day 3 picks. 

I guess I am confused but isn't Pearce a Z receiver? Doesn't he fit the profile?

Interesting factoids from TDWire

Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati (53 overall)
Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia (73 overall)
Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (77 overall)
Nick Cross, S, Maryland (96 overall)
Eric Johnson, DT, Missouri State (159 overall)
Andrew Ogletree, OT, Youngstown State (192 overall)
Curtis Brooks, DT, Cincinnati (216 overall)
Rodney Thomas, DB, Yale (239 overall)

I have never met Kent Lee Platte, the creator of the Relative Athletic Score.

But if you were to tell me right now that Kent Lee Platte is actually Chris Ballard’s pen name, it would not surprise me in the least. The Colts did not have a pick in the first round due to the Carson Wentz trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, but added four players on Day Two who were all graded as elite by the RAS. First was Alec Pierce, the four-sport athlete in high school with a massive vertical leap and huge catch radius. Pierce’s RAS of 9.8 placed him 53rd out of all receivers since 1987. In the third round they added offensive tackle Bernhard Raimann, whose RAS at OT of 9.86 placed him 17th out of all offensive lineman since 1987. When they drafted safety Nick Cross, who posted an RAS of 9.87, it was another elite athlete at the position as that mark made Cross the 12th-highest safety since 1987.

Oh, and they added Jelani Woods, whose RAS of 10 was the best mark posted by a safety ever. Even Eric Johnson, the defensive tackle the Colts added in the fifth round, posted an impressive 9.16 RAS, ranking him 123rd out of the 1,459 defensive tackles since 1987.

Of course, the RAS is just one measurement, but Ballard certainly leaned into athletes. Pierce and Woods give Matt Ryan two massive targets in the passing game, given their size and catch radius. Raimann was the fourth-ranked offensive tackle at both Touchdown Wire and Pro Football Focus, and getting him at 77 overall is tremendous value. In all, an impressive draft from Ballard. Provided Ryan is the answer at quarterback for next season, the Colts look to be in good shape.

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Interesting factoids from TDWire

Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati (53 overall)
Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia (73 overall)
Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (77 overall)
Nick Cross, S, Maryland (96 overall)
Eric Johnson, DT, Missouri State (159 overall)
Andrew Ogletree, OT, Youngstown State (192 overall)
Curtis Brooks, DT, Cincinnati (216 overall)
Rodney Thomas, DB, Yale (239 overall)

I have never met Kent Lee Platte, the creator of the Relative Athletic Score.

But if you were to tell me right now that Kent Lee Platte is actually Chris Ballard’s pen name, it would not surprise me in the least. The Colts did not have a pick in the first round due to the Carson Wentz trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, but added four players on Day Two who were all graded as elite by the RAS. First was Alec Pierce, the four-sport athlete in high school with a massive vertical leap and huge catch radius. Pierce’s RAS of 9.8 placed him 53rd out of all receivers since 1987. In the third round they added offensive tackle Bernhard Raimann, whose RAS at OT of 9.86 placed him 17th out of all offensive lineman since 1987. When they drafted safety Nick Cross, who posted an RAS of 9.87, it was another elite athlete at the position as that mark made Cross the 12th-highest safety since 1987.

Oh, and they added Jelani Woods, whose RAS of 10 was the best mark posted by a safety ever. Even Eric Johnson, the defensive tackle the Colts added in the fifth round, posted an impressive 9.16 RAS, ranking him 123rd out of the 1,459 defensive tackles since 1987.

Of course, the RAS is just one measurement, but Ballard certainly leaned into athletes. Pierce and Woods give Matt Ryan two massive targets in the passing game, given their size and catch radius. Raimann was the fourth-ranked offensive tackle at both Touchdown Wire and Pro Football Focus, and getting him at 77 overall is tremendous value. In all, an impressive draft from Ballard. Provided Ryan is the answer at quarterback for next season, the Colts look to be in good shape.

I know everyone is very excited and I do like the draft. The only thing is a lot of time these high RAS scores don't necessarily translate into  go football players. Just saying. Ballard drafted elite traits and I dont think I have ever seen a draft this one sided in terms of drafting for potential upside. It's a risk.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I just tought he would be a fit for the Z because of his speed.

Z's need speed, but also need agility and great route running skills. 

I really like his upside, but like I said, just not sure I get the pick given our needs. Skyy Moore, who most had ranked/rated higher, and was more a Z type, went the very next pick. 

On the other hand, Reich has used our Zs mostly in short possession routes the last few years. Not really true Z use, so perhaps he just wants to got 2xX. I imagine we could also see Pitt play more slot. 

On 5/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

I know everyone is very excited and I do like the draft. The only thing is a lot of time these high RAS scores don't necessarily translate into  go football players. Just saying. Ballard drafted elite traits and I dont think I have ever seen a draft this one sided in terms of drafting for potential upside. It's a risk.

Agreed. I think the draft was very high on "upside", but could fall short production wise when we look back in a few years.

I think the surest thing, is likely our 3rd pick (OT), and even he will need time. 

Really hoping all of them turn out to be rock stars. 

My preference in the 2nd round were Watson, Moore, Pierce and Tolbert., in that order.  

Trading down was always a strong consideration.  Ballard telegraphed that in pre-draft interviews.  Once Green Bay took Watson and we then traded down,  it was wait and see. 

I favored Moore.   He’s more the slot/Z type of player I thought we were looking for.   And Moore was there for the taking.  Instead we took Pierce.  So my analogy is this….   Not everyone wants to drive a Porsche.   Some prefer the high-end SUV or Pick-up.  That’s the Colts and our more Blue Collar approach. 

I don’t look forward watching the combo of Mahomes and Moore connecting for the next 8-10 years.   But if Pierce can be the player we think he can, then we should be alright. 

Now we wait and hope….

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My preference in the 2nd round were Watson, Moore, Pierce and Tolbert., in that order.  

Trading down was always a strong consideration.  Ballard telegraphed that in pre-draft interviews.  Once Green Bay took Watson and we then traded down,  it was wait and see. 

I favored Moore.   He’s more the slot/Z type of player I thought we were looking for.   And Moore was there for the taking.  Instead we took Pierce.  So my analogy is this….   Not everyone wants to drive a Porsche.   Some prefer the high-end SUV or Pick-up.  That’s the Colts and our more Blue Collar approach. 

I don’t look forward watching the combo of Mahomes and Moore connecting for the next 8-10 years.   But if Pierce can be the player we think he can, then we should be alright. 

Now we wait and hope….

Agree to much of this. I like AP in a lot of ways, just still scratching my head over passing on Moore given what most thought our needs were.

I just have zero clue what the plan is now. I want Pitt and AP on the field at the same time, just confused about how it all will fit. Are we going double X, and forgetting about traditional Z type in our scheme? TY was running mostly short possession routes anyway last season. Does Pitt play more slot. Do they have someone else in mind for Z? Just confused. 

If anything, on short downs and RZ, we have a ton of size now with Pitt, AP, MAC, and Woods. But overall, I feel like we're forgetting about the level 2 and 3 stuff perhaps even more. I was hoping the add of Ryan was perhaps signaling we might get back to more traditional Level 1 through 3 play. Right now, seems we destined to play short bully ball. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

.If anything, on short downs and RZ, we have a ton of size now with Pitt, AP, MAC, and Woods. But overall, I feel like we're forgetting about the level 2 and 3 stuff perhaps even more. I was hoping the add of Ryan was perhaps signaling we might get back to more traditional Level 1 through 3 play. Right now, seems we destined to play short bully ball. 

I think you hit the head of the nail with the “short bully ball”. It sounds cool on paper but will we be able to stretch the field enough to keep the defenses honest or will we be too easy to read and counter? 

what are your thoughts on that, East?

Chuckle
 Our 1st 3 picks are all about complementing our attack at level 2-3.
 And Ryan is quite awesome at throwing BBZ 12-16 yds between the hash marks. 
 Look forward to Reggie teaching his schuffle that freezes DB'S, and opens up those easy sideline catches for 1st downs. Pittman showed it a few times last year, unfortunately, our QB WASN'T into timing throws. 

Bully ball? Phooey!  We will slice & dice, run very well, and play action down field often and well.

14 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I think you hit the head of the nail with the “short bully ball”. It sounds cool on paper but will we be able to stretch the field enough to keep the defenses honest or will we be too easy to read and counter? 

what are your thoughts on that, East?

I mentioned in another thread, that for the last three years, Reich's O has not really challenged Ds in the passing game (due to lack of level 2 and 3 play). Opposing DCs to me never really respected our ability to stretch the field. We saw a few game here and there where we made the effort, but it was not the norm. We let Rivers test the D vs MN two seasons ago, and it worked very well. We saw the Pitt/Wentz combo work very well deep in a few games last season. Pitt was, after all, the the second highest rated WR in the league on contested catches. And both Rivers and Wentz had good success rates with deep balls. But neither were top half of the league in deep ball attempts. 

Just not sure what to think. If you have a good deep success rate, and low deep attempts, that would generally push an OC to increase deep attempts. But we didn't. TY's usage and routes were especially frustrating. Why have a little guy like TY posting up on the short sideline. Ds for the most part cheated up IMO most of the year, which it made it harder on anyone catching the ball. If I were a DC the last couple years against the Colts, I'm focusing on Taylor and short passing. I'm not really worried much about anything 15+ yards unless in a 3rd a long. 

In short, thought the bully-ball was a product of JB's skill level. Then it continued with Rivers. And we were told he couldn't throw deep (despite a good deep success rate in the few attempts he got). Then in continued with Wentz despite him having good arm strength (and also a good success rate in the few attempts he got). So unfortunately, I see this is an OC/HC plan, not a result of QB deficiency. I'm assuming we'll see the same routes/plays with Ryan behind center. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I mentioned in another thread, that for the last three years, Reich's O has not really challenged Ds in the passing game (due to lack of level 2 and 3 play). Opposing DCs to me never really respected our ability to stretch the field. We saw a few game here and there where we made the effort, but it was not the norm. We let Rivers test the D vs MN two seasons ago, and it worked very well. We saw the Pitt/Wentz combo work very well deep in a few games last season. Pitt was, after all, the the second highest rated WR in the league on contested catches. And both Rivers and Wentz had good success rates with deep balls. But neither were top half of the league in deep ball attempts. 

Just not sure what to think. If you have a good deep success rate, and low deep attempts, that would generally push an OC to increase deep attempts. But we didn't. TY's usage and routes were especially frustrating. Why have a little guy like TY posting up on the short sideline. Ds for the most part cheated up IMO most of the year, which it made it harder on anyone catching the ball. If I were a DC the last couple years against the Colts, I'm focusing on Taylor and short passing. I'm not really worried much about anything 15+ yards unless in a 3rd a long. 

In short, thought the bully-ball was a product of JB's skill level. Then it continued with Rivers. And we were told he couldn't throw deep (despite a good deep success rate in the few attempts he got). Then in continued with Wentz despite him having good arm strength (and also a good success rate in the few attempts he got). So unfortunately, I see this is an OC/HC plan, not a result of QB deficiency. I'm assuming we'll see the same routes/plays with Ryan behind center. 

Ryan  brings a wealth of knowledge.  So maybe Reich can also still learn. 

Archived