Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Leonard is an All Pro

Okereke is in the final deal of his contract, has great flashes but also huge inconsistencies and he's regressed in coverage..

Speed and Franklin are special team aces with limited playing time in the field..

Speed has spent most of his time learning and waiting to play. Okereke is very talented, we asked him to do a ton in flus' system.  He basically covered the entire middle field. Also, teams are often going away from 53 which means more targets for 58. He was routinely put out of position and asked to cover TE's that had 10 yards of space before the ball is even snapped. At some point, someone in our defense is going to take the lumps, and okereke has been one of those guys. He is also by far our most athletic linebacker aside from Speed. 

Speed is extremely athletic and rangey for his size and has spent most of his time sitting behind more seasoned backers. Franklin is an amazing special teamer just like Mike Adams was. Franklin can tackle well and play close to the line of scrimmage in the flats. 

None of these linebackers are bad, and all of them have excelled at what they were asked to do for the Colts. We don't take a linebacker with our first pick, no question in my mind about it. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Speed has spent most of his time learning and waiting to play. Okereke is very talented, we asked him to do a ton in flus' system.  He basically covered the entire middle field. Also, teams are often going away from 53 which means more targets for 58. He was routinely put out of position and asked to cover TE's that had 10 yards of space before the ball is even snapped. At some point, someone in our defense is going to take the lumps, and okereke has been one of those guys. He is also by far our most athletic linebacker aside from Speed. 

Speed is extremely athletic and rangey for his size and has spent most of his time sitting behind more seasoned backers. Franklin is an amazing special teamer just like Mike Adams was. Franklin can tackle well and play close to the line of scrimmage in the flats. 

None of these linebackers are bad, and all of them have excelled at what they were asked to do for the Colts. We don't take a linebacker with our first pick, no question in my mind about it. 

Teams threw at Okereke because they knew he isn't great in coverage....even Leonard is average in coverage. He's been regressing ever since his promising rookie year. I'd love for him to ball out and be a solid LB2 but he hasn't really shown that imo

Speed and Franklin have still been delegated to STs only for the majority of their career, their athleticism doesn't matter if they don't see the field.

There's room for improvement behind Leonard and it shouldn't be overlooked.

Nakobe Dean, Christian Harris, and Leo Chenal are probably better than everyone not named Leonard

I wouldn't rule out a LB on Day 2

This talk about drafting any QB in the second, never mind Willis, is hilarious. I don't think Ballard is anywhere near that stupid. He made a move for a very talented but aging QB. That means "win now" mode, not rebuild mode, least of all with a guy that has accuracy and decision making issues. Our biggest needs are WR, OL, and secondary. It can vary depending on who is available, but those positions should be the focus. 

This stuff about us not winning the South is about to come to a head. There is a new Sheriff in town now and he is like the old Sheriff. Tennessee trading AJ Brown was beautiful. He carried that team for 3 or 4 games last year with amazing games. I say great job Tennessee - you get the dunce award and still are sticking with Tannehill, I love it. This is so comical I can't quit laughingangry mark sheppard GIF

16 minutes ago, jonjon said:

This talk about drafting any QB in the second, never mind Willis, is hilarious. I don't think Ballard is anywhere near that stupid. He made a move for a very talented but aging QB. That means "win now" mode, not rebuild mode, least of all with a guy that has accuracy and decision making issues. Our biggest needs are WR, OL, and secondary. It can vary depending on who is available, but those positions should be the focus. 

Do you really believe anyone here thinks any quarterback we would draft is any threat to Matt Ryan? Obviously wed let the kid sit and learn for a while. Theres not many here who would be shocked with a QB selection. Might not be our first preference but Matts not going to be here long.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

Teams threw at Okereke because they knew he isn't great in coverage....even Leonard is average in coverage. He's been regressing ever since his promising rookie year. I'd love for him to ball out and be a solid LB2 but he hasn't really shown that imo

Speed and Franklin have still been delegated to STs only for the majority of their career, their athleticism doesn't matter if they don't see the field.

There's room for improvement behind Leonard and it shouldn't be overlooked.

Nakobe Dean, Christian Harris, and Leo Chenal are probably better than everyone not named Leonard

I wouldn't rule out a LB on Day 2

do you realize that most of the catches by opposing TE's were caught with our backers no where near them? did you watch the same games as me? They were always way off the ball. Just go and watch the Baltimore game. They repeatedly let andrews catch the ball uncontested underneath our linebackers.  That's not a player issue.  

as good as flus is, that has consistently been an issue with his defense. allowing catches underneath with no press or contest at the start of the play. and you can pull this stat or another stat, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. when you watch the player you can see the talent. it has nothing to do with a pff grade or this or that. the reality is that the position a coach puts a player in matters. 

Speed, Franklin, Adams sat behind Leonard and Walker most of their careers. Okereke sat and waited too. Sometimes players develop over time and then take over starting duties. Ali Cox is an example of this, and so was Doyle.  I'm not saying every single backer is going to be a top 10 or even top 15 linebacker. I'm saying Okereke and Leonard are just fine as a starting duo.  I am adding that the depth behind them is fine too.  

As far as the day 2 pick, sure, maybe. all I claimed was that we weren't taking a linebacker with our first pick of this draft. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Do you really believe anyone here thinks any quarterback we would draft is any threat to Matt Ryan? Obviously wed let the kid sit and learn for a while. Theres not many here who would be shocked with a QB selection. Might not be our first preference but Matts not going to be here long.

I think barring a catastrophic injury, Matt Ryan is here for a minimum of 2 years and possibly as many as 4 or 5. If Ballard loves one of the remaining quarterbacks for their potential and they fall to us at a spot that would represent a good value, I could see him pulling the trigger with the understanding that the best case scenario is that this guy would sit & learn under Matt for at least 2 seasons, but I could also see us waiting and drafting Ryan's eventual replacement in next year's Draft as well. 

34 minutes ago, indyman411 said:

I’ll “beat the drum” of drafting TE McBride with our first pick. I think he could be really good right away. **Don’t shoot me for this**  I think he could a TE similar to Dallas Clark. 

Skyy Moore
Christian Watson
Trey McBride

Lets see we go O or D or trade down.

Good first round. I think all the teams did a decent job of not moving too far out of pocket. We'll see how Pickett does in Pittsburgh, i think they could have gone for a back breaker rather than Andy Dalton i.e. take a more risky potential creator rather than a safe guy who'll only be as good as the unit around him. We'll see.

My fave picks?  Jordan Davis to Philly, Devonte Wyatt to GB, Kyle Hamilton to Baltimore.

9 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

2nd round will be the run on QB's, at least 4 will go before us. The run on OL is happening as is the run on WR's. There will be some choices for us. Pickett, the WR out of UGA should be there.

You mean Pickens?

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I think barring a catastrophic injury, Matt Ryan is here for a minimum of 2 years and possibly as many as 4 or 5. If Ballard loves one of the remaining quarterbacks for their potential and they fall to us at a spot that would represent a good value, I could see him pulling the trigger with the understanding that the best case scenario is that this guy would sit & learn under Matt for at least 2 seasons, but I could also see us waiting and drafting Ryan's eventual replacement in next year's Draft as well. 

Certainly could happen. My point was to say nobodys crazy for bringing up the QB conversation

1 hour ago, indyman411 said:

I’ll “beat the drum” of drafting TE McBride with our first pick. I think he could be really good right away. **Don’t shoot me for this**  I think he could a TE similar to Dallas Clark. 

Theres a reason why Granson is the same size and similar attributes to Dallas Clark. I dont think Clark is what we are looking for in this draft.

Sky Moore i like but im not certain the Colts stance on KeKe Coutee who is about the same size and maybe a bit faster. Moore is a damn good player from what i can tell though.Id be cool with it but i think knowing Ballard we will go with somebody whos got size and speed. Get Ryan a Julio Jones type. That would be Pickens or Watson if both are not gone by our pick.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Sky Moore i like but im not certain the Colts stance on KeKe Coutee who is about the same size and maybe a bit faster. Moore is a damn good player from what i can tell though.Id be cool with it but i think knowing Ballard we will go with somebody whos got size and speed. Get Ryan a Julio Jones type. That would be Pickens or Watson if both are not gone by our pick.

Moore doesnt meet some of Ballard's typical trait requirements. Pickens has rumored character issues and his production is a question mark. Watson drops more than his fair share of balls.

Now onto the other side of the pillow. Watson is incredibly quick and has a ceiling that's open. Skyy is TY. Pickens is DK. 

Last year when all those QBs were flying off the board in the 1st, i said the most successful right off the bat would be the one who landed in the most stable organization i.e. Mac. This year, i think the 1st round wideout who succeeds right away is Treylon Burks, best situation despite all the jokes floating around about the Titans.

All that to say that i'm not worried about which WR's name is pulled out for Indy WHENEVER. It might wind up being a 4th round guy but i'm not worried because we have a FANTASTIC situation here. With that said, Alec Pierce seems like a prototype Ballard guy over the guys you mentioned. Also i like Danny Gray in the mid rounds.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Ballard I think liked Coutee. He mentioned him when he talked about his young WR. I think he is a good backup plan to Campbell. I expect him to make the team. So maybe we do go get some size.

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

2nd round will be the run on QB's, at least 4 will go before us. The run on OL is happening as is the run on WR's. There will be some choices for us. Pickett, the WR out of UGA should be there.

Pickens is a head case, I wouldn't want him on my team. He got ejected from a game against GT when he scored a TD to go up by about 40 points and threw punches against the defender and threw him into a wall.

He also got called for an 15 yarder in a close game against Tenn when a defender tackled him and he grabbed a water bottle and squirted water on him.

These are just of few of his actions. He was injured most of last year and maybe he matured and learned some lessons, but I would be careful with him. Maybe in the 3rd, but not 2nd.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Moore doesnt meet some of Ballard's typical trait requirements. Pickens has rumored character issues and his production is a question mark. Watson drops more than his fair share of balls.

Now onto the other side of the pillow. Watson is incredibly quick and has a ceiling that's open. Skyy is TY. Pickens is DK. 

Last year when all those QBs were flying off the board in the 1st, i said the most successful right off the bat would be the one who landed in the most stable organization i.e. Mac. This year, i think the 1st round wideout who succeeds right away is Treylon Burks, best situation despite all the jokes floating around about the Titans.

All that to say that i'm not worried about which WR's name is pulled out for Indy WHENEVER. It might wind up being a 4th round guy but i'm not worried because we have a FANTASTIC situation here. With that said, Alec Pierce seems like a prototype Ballard guy over the guys you mentioned. Also i like Danny Gray in the mid rounds.

Wasnt really aware of the read flags on Pickens.

@NFLfan I made a mistake of going to our Vikings forum, well there seems to be a fanboy of the new GM, just like NVF for Cousins.

He has been constantly giving lecture about how every fan who uses any NFL trade value chart available in public has been using an ancient method and not understanding modern analytics, calling them goofballs and accusing others of calling him psychopath. Apparently, PFF has some metric like WAR that assesses trade values and that's the only place where Vikings come out as winners in the trade, other than - of course - GM's understanding of analytics. Apparently, new GM is hired to play moneyball and Vikings fans don't get it. 

Now I remember why I stay away from there. 

18 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

@NFLfan I made a mistake of going to our Vikings forum, well there seems to be a fanboy of the new GM, just like NVF for Cousins.

He has been constantly giving lecture about how every fan who uses any NFL trade value chart available in public has been using an ancient method and not understanding modern analytics, calling them goofballs and accusing others of calling him psychopath. Apparently, PFF has some metric like WAR that assesses trade values and that's the only place where Vikings come out as winners in the trade, other than - of course - GM's understanding of analytics. Apparently, new GM is hired to play moneyball and Vikings fans don't get it. 

Now I remember why I stay away from there. 

Ha! Sounds like a psychopath.

27 minutes ago, Shive said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, because he has flashing red sirens, not just red flags. 

No i didnt get that far into it. Made a mistake on not looking enough into his character

8 hours ago, krunk said:

You missed my point. It has nothing to do with challenging Ryan.

Here is my thinking on tonight:

Our needs going in were supposedly ER, CB, WR, LT, and TE

Okay well here's what I have deduced. 

ER is NOT a priority any longer. Here's why. JJ from FSU. Colts could have easily traded up to snag him once he fell but didn't.

LT is NOT a priority. Here's why. Tyler Smith Tulsa. Colts could have easily jumped Dallas at 24 to snag a forum favorite once he fell but didn't.

CB is NOT a priority. After signing Gilmore, I just don't feel CB is where they will strike first. Later rounds sure but not early.

TE is NOT a priority. After giving Cox a contract and having Granson, both of whom can catch, I just don't feel that going after a hands TE is the play here early in rounds 2 and 3. At least not at 42

That leaves us with WR. WR IS the priority. It has to be. My guess is that it will either be Christian Watson or George Pickens at 42 or a trade up to grab either one.

If the trade up doesn't happen and those 2 are not there at 42 then I expect the Colts to trade down.

I know they could go QB, but I don't see it or maybe I'm choosing not to as I think it would be utterly stupid. 

So, for me, it has to be WR at 42 tonight IMHO.

:thmup:

I'm hoping some of the QBs are still on the board at pick #42 not because I want the Colts to draft one but because that would put the Colts in a good position to make a trade with one of the teams still looking for one to trade down for more picks.  None of the OTs I would have liked to see at #42 are available but there is still a chance to pick up a couple of good receivers and a tight end with our earlier picks and add depth at other positions with the other picks.  I hope the Colts will look at offensive line, safety, defensive interior and maybe a linebacker or cornerback to help fill the depth needs this team has.

I would prefer TE McBride. I'd rather have the best TE in the draft vs the 8th or 9th ish best WR. That said, WR Metchie is still there and if not for his ACL would be gone already, so there is risk but he is very talented and Ballard is not totally risk adverse (see: Wentz). 

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

I would prefer TE McBride. I'd rather have the best TE in the draft vs the 8th or 9th ish best WR. That said, WR Metchie is still there and if not for his ACL would be gone already, so there is risk but he is very talented and Ballard is not totally risk adverse (see: Wentz). 

Ok we agree on something, because if we drafted McBride I think that would be a great pick. Matt Ryan can make him good right away.

If the Colts decide to go with two receivers and a tight end in the second/third rounds a good draft would look something like this provided these names are available at these positions:

#42 - WR Skyy Moore, George Pickens, Christian Watson

#73 - TE Trey McBride, Greg Dulcich

#112 - WR David Bell, Kevin Austin, Romeo Doubs. WanDale Robinson, Danny Gray, Alec Pierce

Chances are good that at least one of these players will be there to pick in these spots in the draft.  If the Colts trade back, they might use the extra pick or picks to pick the BPA at OL, DI, S or CB.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok we agree on something, because if we drafted McBride I think that would be a great pick. Matt Ryan can make him good right away.

The Colts have zero need for a hands TE. They have Cox who just got a contract and Granson who has yet to even get significant snaps. WR is the pick, has to be

Archived