Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared's 1st 2022 Colts Mock Draft with no trades and explanations!

Going to do two Mock drafts this year. One today, and one in a week on the day of the draft. Both will be with no trades since they are subjective, and without trades is something I can guarantee because they are currently at this position right now. Here we go!

Round 2, Pick 42: Tyler Smith OT Tulsa: Extremely large and athletic Tackle with a high ceiling. A boom or bust prospect with athletics off the charts, but needs to refine his technique. Has all the tools to be a starter at the next level, just needs some coaching. Can fight Pryor to start right away, but should be able to fill in immediately if needed. 

Round 3, Pick 73: David Bell WR Purdue: Someone is going to fall through the cracks with this WR depth a bit in the draft, and one of those guys may be David Bell. He's a local kid that wants to play for the Colts, and although his 4'6 speed will deter teams away from him, he plays quicker than that. He has solid size, and can play the outside alongside Michael Pittman. A proven no1 WR at Purdue, he should be able to make the transition to the pros under this offense, and he'll have the drive to do so wanting to play here.

Round 4, Pick 122: Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State: An absolute monster of a TE at 6'6 250, his RAS and athleticism is also off the charts. Ballard has shown interest in him, and he could be in the mix for reps immediately at the TE position. His hands are automatic and he produced in college when TE production is more rare than you may think. His only downside is he's not much of a blocker, but he could still have a major role on the team IMO.

Round 5, Pick 159: Tyler Allgeier RB BYU: RB is a bigger need than most people give it credit for. Sure, we have Jonathan Taylor, but what if he gets hurt? What if he gets worn out with too many carries? Hines is too small for that workload, and Deon Jackson isn't that good really. Enter Tyler Allgeier. Ballard has visited two RBs, Tyler Badie and Tyler Allgeier. Allgeier is a solid RB that has great vision. He reminds me of Marlon Mack honestly. Gets tons of carries, picks up yards, doesn't have great speed, but produces and is a smart football player. Would be a great player on this team and could hold the fort down if something ever happened to Jonathan Taylor.

Round 5, Pick 179: Micah Mcfadden LB Indiana: Digging into the local pool again, Mcfadden is a solid local product that got recruited to Indiana from Florida, and completely produces. A four year senior and team captain that is a tackling machine, he managed 77 tackles, 15.5 for loss, 6.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in 12 starts as a senior. His downsides are he's undersized, average speed and unable to challenge blocks, but as a round 5 pick and some development, he has potential on special teams early, and a possible starter later down the road.

Round 6, Pick 216: Noah Elliss DT Idaho: We're getting to the point where I know less about these guys. Elliss has very good size and length. He needs to keep his weight down a bit, but he has the potential to be a starter in the NFL if he can do so. Very good power DT that can bully people around, close gaps up, and get through blocks as a pass rusher as well. His speed, technique, and weight will be obstacles in him succeeding at the NFL level, but the technique and weight can be worked on, and the speed isn't the worst weakness for a DT.

Round 7, Pick 240: Vincent Gray CB Michigan: Alright CB in the last round. Gray is 6;2, with 32 3/8 arms. What's the catch? He just doesn't have the top end speed in the NFL level to probably compete. He ran a 4.54 40 yard dash. He has solid footwork and technique though, so he has a chance to succeed at the NFL level. No INTs in college is worrysome, but he's a late round prospect with size, footwork, and technique, so hopefully we could work with his skills currently and have him possibly succeed at the NFL level.

These are my picks for the 2022 NFL Mock draft. Let me know what you think, and any discussion is welcome!

I like much of it

Smith would compete at LT and could be a swing backup all across the line

Kolar could be an immediate starter on this offense

My one question is Bell

On the edge, his VERY slow speed will keep him covered up in the NFL

I personally believe that the Colts need a speedster on the outside.  

last year, defenses bracketed Pittman, and cheated up against the run

I personally believe that we need ..........desperately need,...... someone to stretch the field at WR

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy reading these

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like much of it

Smith would compete at LT and could be a swing backup all across the line

Kolar could be an immediate starter on this offense

My one question is Bell

On the edge, his VERY slow speed will keep him covered up in the NFL

I personally believe that the Colts need a speedster on the outside.  

last year, defenses bracketed Pittman, and cheated up against the run

I personally believe that we need ..........desperately need,...... someone to stretch the field at WR

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy reading these

Speed is easy too find IMHO, Between Paris and dulin im not to concerned. What we dont really have is a great route runner like Bell is. Someone who can get open without having to be schemed open our using flat out speed. Plus I think he definitely plays faster then his 40 time.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Speed is easy too find IMHO, Between Paris and dulin im not to concerned. What we dont really have is a great route runner like Bell is. Someone who can get open without having to be schemed open our using flat out speed. Plus I think he definitely plays faster then his 40 time.

Respectfully

Paris and Dulin combined dont add up to 1/2 of a starting player (26 receptions combined)

Going into next year....... someone HAS to be added with speed AND Receiving Skill.....

THINK SEPARATION NEED...... BELL is Not that "guy"

Its Not just "speed"

There is a wide range of  views on WR talent in the draft, here is an overly negative view

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/david-bell/32004245-4c26-9820-eec2-961722ae3742

"Average backup or Special Teams Player"

From my perspective.......  If Bell is on the board when we draft in round 4 or round 5 (better) ......  I am ok with it

AFTER we have taken a separation guy that can take the top off the defense...... and keeps the safeties from cheating up

I dont hate the guy.... but he will have enormous problems getting separation in the NFL

I like your thinking!  I ran a few mock drafts on PFF and I drafted Tyler Smith several times at #42 and I drafted Micah McFadden in Round 5 and Vincent Gray too in a couple with my last pick at #240.  I do like Jeremey Ruckert of Ohio State as a tight end selection in Round 4 though over Kolar.  Ruckert has great hands and he was graded as one of the best blocking tight ends in college football.  With Taylor in the backfield it never hurts to have good blockers to give him room to do his thing.

Archived