Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're half way there. How do we finish?

Ballard has put on a clinic in how to be patient and not panic. We started this offseason with glaring holes, and I think there's actually a chance we address ALL of them. 

How do we address LT, WR & TE through the draft? I am not as educated on this draft class as usual so I'm not sure if this scenario exists, but CAN we realistically find guys to contribute @ these positions given where we pick? Who are the guys? I'd assume we'd ideally want to go LT --> WR --> TE (with LT and WR being interchangeable IF the value is there) 

This team can knock off ANY of the top AFC teams if we can find a formidable tackle and a playmaker. 

Even though they are saying that we are happy with Pryor, 

I do think that if Bernhard makes it to us at 42, I would have difficulty passing him

In addition to the obvious 2 holes at WR and TE..... We are now extremely thin at OL and interior DL.... two areas that CB covets

If Bernhard is not there at 42, and none of the top WRs have slid...... I think we will be trying to trade the pick to get more picks

However

There are doing due diligence on QBs......  

You wonder if they would take a swing at Howell Corral at 42......

It could go in many ways

• Like 1

If we stay at 42 I would want to get one of these guys if available: WRs-Pickens, Moore or for LT- Raimann. It’s very possible none of them are there at 42, so if we don’t move up a few picks to make sure we secure one of them I’d prefer trading down and targeting WRs-Jalen Tolbert or Alec Pierce. 

For TE I would want McBride or Ruckert, whichever drops the furthest, probably Ruckert. He would be the perfect replacement for Doyle IMO. 

There are a few Tackles that I’ve heard have potential to be future starters that could be available in the middle rounds but I don’t know much about them. 

But if we get one of those WRs, one of those TEs and grab a LT with potential I would be tickled. 

Don’t be so sure that CB isn’t still a target. We still need depth and Facyson is on a 1 year deal. For me it’s a day 3 pick unless Woolen is there. Him learning behind Gilmore would be great.

Honestly I’d just got WR and TE for our 2nd round picks. Take a Day 3 developmental LT like Matt Waletzko. McBride or Dulcich at TE, and Pickens or Pierce at WR. 

• Like 1

It's gonna be a difficult draft, without a 1st round pick.  Every one of our options has a "yeah, but" attached to it.

WR - I think the target is Jahan Dotson.  Yeah, but -- he's probably gonna be off the board by the time we pick at 42.  Do we trade up for him?  Well...  It depends on how the draft is going.  If it looks like he's gonna get picked towards the end of the 1st round, we don't do it.  If he's still there after the first day, then we should trade up and get him.

The other WR options?

Skyy Moore:  Yeah, but -- at only 5'9", he seems destined for a slot receiver job, and not the Z receiver we need.

Christian Watson:  Yeah, but -- he may have insane measurables at 6'4" and 4.36 speed.  But his hands are iffy.  And his routes are simple.

Dave Bell:  Yeah, but -- he may be a hometown favorite, and a savvy route runner with great hands, but that 4.64 speed is not just troublesome.  It's yuck.

Wan'Dale Robinson:  Yeah, but -- he may be as difficult to tackle as grabbing a bag of water, but there's not much else to his game.

LT - There aren't really many options to us at LT by the time we draft.  There's Bernhard Raimann.  Yeah, but -- he's really not ready to start day one.  Our opening draft pick won't make much of an impact.  Remember how you felt when we picked Dayo.

TE - There are a lot of players out there that have some skills.  Some, mind you.  And they'll be available to us at 42.  But do you really want to say that our opening draft pick was a TE?  When we had other pressing needs?  A TE???

It's gonna take every ounce of skill to come away with a good draft this year.  It can certainly be done.  But it won't be easy.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Our opening draft pick won't make much of an impact.  Remember how you felt when we picked Dayo.

I guess I am not understanding this comment. You are saying that because it’s a second round pick versus a first round? I mean regardless we can easily draft someone who can make an immediate impact. Especially in the second round! 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don’t be so sure that CB isn’t still a target. We still need depth and Facyson is on a 1 year deal. For me it’s a day 3 pick unless Woolen is there. Him learning behind Gilmore would be great.

Honestly I’d just got WR and TE for our 2nd round picks. Take a Day 3 developmental LT like Matt Waletzko. McBride or Dulcich at TE, and Pickens or Pierce at WR. 

I think we still grab a CB in this draft as well. I think the 4th round is where we grab Tariq. I also would love McBride at 42 because he would be an immediate weapon for Ryan. I do like Pickens but just hope he interviewed well because he had issues in college plus injuries. Pierce I am not a huge fan on. Maybe day 3 I could get behind it but he doesn’t have separation abilities that we desperately need. 

21 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's gonna be a difficult draft, without a 1st round pick.  Every one of our options has a "yeah, but" attached to it.

WR - I think the target is Jahan Dotson.  Yeah, but -- he's probably gonna be off the board by the time we pick at 42.  Do we trade up for him?  Well...  It depends on how the draft is going.  If it looks like he's gonna get picked towards the end of the 1st round, we don't do it.  If he's still there after the first day, then we should trade up and get him.

The other WR options?

Skyy Moore:  Yeah, but -- at only 5'9", he seems destined for a slot receiver job, and not the Z receiver we need.

Christian Watson:  Yeah, but -- he may have insane measurables at 6'4" and 4.36 speed.  But his hands are iffy.  And his routes are simple.

Dave Bell:  Yeah, but -- he may be a hometown favorite, and a savvy route runner with great hands, but that 4.64 speed is not just troublesome.  It's yuck.

Wan'Dale Robinson:  Yeah, but -- he may be as difficult to tackle as grabbing a bag of water, but there's not much else to his game.

LT - There aren't really many options to us at LT by the time we draft.  There's Bernhard Raimann.  Yeah, but -- he's really not ready to start day one.  Our opening draft pick won't make much of an impact.  Remember how you felt when we picked Dayo.

TE - There are a lot of players out there that have some skills.  Some, mind you.  And they'll be available to us at 42.  But do you really want to say that our opening draft pick was a TE?  When we had other pressing needs?  A TE???

It's gonna take every ounce of skill to come away with a good draft this year.  It can certainly be done.  But it won't be easy.

#1 let's see what happens between now and the draft
 #2 our most pressing NEED IS a TE that can attack downfield
  #3 followed closely by competition at LT  SEE #1
  We have NO other pressing needs -  Just imagined ones!

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I guess I am not understanding this comment. You are saying that because it’s a second round pick versus a first round? I mean regardless we can easily draft someone who can make an immediate impact. Especially in the second round! 

No, I'm saying that if we draft Raimann, he's not going to start right away.  He's going to seem invisible.  We'll question why we picked him in the first place, since he's not having an impact on the team.  And that's the same way we felt about Dayo.  He's not playing.  He's not doing anything.  Why did we pick him?

The truth is, he'll be more valuable down the road.  As would Ramiann.  But it sure as heck wouldn't feel good right away.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

No, I'm saying that if we draft Raimann, he's not going to start right away.  He's going to seem invisible.  We'll question why we picked him in the first place, since he's not having an impact on the team.  And that's the same way we felt about Dayo.  He's not playing.  He's not doing anything.  Why did we pick him?

The truth is, he'll be more valuable down the road.  As would Ramiann.  But it sure as heck wouldn't feel good right away.

I agree with your initial view that this will be a challenging draft

There are tier 1 WRs that could all be gone.....  Skyy Moore and Dahan Dotson are the end of this group

42 seems early for Tolbert 

42 seems to early for any of the TEs in this draft

If this is the case, and CBs board lines up,  the options could be:

1) Draft a QB - Matt C, or Howell (someone with Traits that needs 1-2 years to develop)

2) Draft a T - Raimann could be our LT of the future... Shorter arms than desired though (34 inch target)

3) trade back in the 2nd and get Tolbert , and pick up a later 3rd

My gut says choice 3.....  But I cant see whats on CB's board

Howell had an average year after lighting it up the year before...... BUT the key team mates all left Bad OL, Bad WR team

Matt Corral has some amazing talent.  He just needs some time to develop. Many people see Baker Mayfield, but he came across as very humble in his interviews (Not a Mayfield trait)

It will be interesting

Probably not going to happen, but I would LOVE for them to make a move on a FA WR, BEFORE the draft, so that we can go MORE BPA.

Without the long term answer at QB on the roster, it would seem that we should be taking a chance on SOMEONE this year.....  Maybe its pick 42, maybe its round 4 for someone like Zappe ......  He put up almost 500 Yards against a decent Michigan State Team this year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok I see your point. Thank you for clarifying. I mean if we are all in this year then yes we will want someone to impact right away. I can agree with you there. 

• Like 1