Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A position no one is talking about that the Colts could draft


Recommended Posts

Obviously LT, WR, and TE are the big needs and with all the moves focusing mostly in defense, I expect this to be an offensive draft. One position I think needs to be addressed is Taylor's backup. Good forbid anything happens to Taylor, we need someone to spell him and take some of the workload off him. The death number for RBs is 400 and I don't wanna see Taylor anywhere near that number. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone watched Jamyr Gibbs from GA Tech? Looks like a talented kid, reminds me of CJ2K they way he glides past people, and catches like a receiver. Could be a fun player for the offense. Either he or Hines could play a little slot maybe, so it would give us that versatility.

 

edit: whoops I think he isn’t draft eligible yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jonjon said:

I fear they will run JT into the ground also. We should have kept Mack. 


Mack wanted to leave.  He’s looking for more opportunity.  More touches.    

 

We have an analytics driven front office and coaching staff.   We’re not going to run Taylor into the ground.   We want him to be great for as long as possible.   We had a number of weeks last season where fans were screaming we weren’t using Taylor enough.    My understanding is this might be a decent class of Day 3 RBs.   I will not be surprised if we take one.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah on day 3 we could definitely use a relief back for Taylor since Hines is more of a change of pace back. Maybe someone like Hassan Haskins.

That's exactly who I was thinking of in several mock runs.  Want a guy that is versatile but shaded towards the bigger pounder type that could do the pounding when needed.  JT is not really that kind of back and Hines certainly isn't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Probably can find an upgrade day 3

You can typically say that every year about the one you drafted the year prior. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't or won't but there's a reason no one's talking about it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


Mack wanted to leave.  He’s looking for more opportunity.  More touches.    

But he's looking for a job first and foremost. I think if we had offered him a contract, he would have taken it.

 

 

Quote

We have an analytics driven front office and coaching staff.  

God help us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

But he's looking for a job first and foremost. I think if we had offered him a contract, he would have taken it.

 

 

God help us.


We’re going to have to agree to disagree on Mack.    
 

As to analytics,  the Nerds have won.  They’ve taken over in every sport.   Analytics are dominating and winning in all four big team sports.   Been that way for most of the last two decades.   Every team has their own analytics department churning out its own intellectual formula.  It’s far beyond the beginning of analytics when many teams subscribed to services.   Now everyone has their own proprietary analysis.   
 

They’ve won.   Big time.   They get the last laugh.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of agree with you. That's why I've been mocking a RB to the Colts in almost every mock draft I've been doing. Now, sure you don't need to spend early pick on it, but when the value meets the board IMO one of the day 3 picks can definitely go towards a backup/insurance option for Taylor. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wholely DO Not agree. Deon Jackson is a better player than Wilkins. And we never put these type of ideas forward when Wilkins was here.  We dont need to draft another back, we just need to see more of Deon.  Theres a reason why you started seeing less and less of Mack down the road and it wasnt just bc of Taylor. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


We’re going to have to agree to disagree on Mack.    

Fair enough.

 

Quote

 

As to analytics,  the Nerds have won.  They’ve taken over in every sport.   Analytics are dominating and winning in all four big team sports.   Been that way for most of the last two decades.   Every team has their own analytics department churning out its own intellectual formula.  It’s far beyond the beginning of analytics when many teams subscribed to services.   Now everyone has their own proprietary analysis.   
 

They’ve won.   Big time.   They get the last laugh.  

 

I doubt there's much in the way of "analytics" in basketball or hockey, but regardless, while people have been crunching numbers for some time, it's only very recently that it's become an obsession and the absurd over-emphasis has taken over. It's *ic. Like anything else, it's a question of degree. You can only tell so much from numbers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Fair enough.

 

I doubt there's much in the way of "analytics" in basketball or hockey, but regardless, while people have been crunching numbers for some time, it's only very recently that it's become an obsession and the absurd over-emphasis has taken over. It's *ic. Like anything else, it's a question of degree. You can only tell so much from numbers.  


Basketball is dominated by analytics.   100 percent.    Or haven’t you noticed the explosion if everyone — including Centers — shooting 3-point shots?   That’s just one small example.   Or the PER metric that’s now standard along with things like points, rebounds, assists and steals. Every NBA team has an analytics department. 
 

I don’t follow hockey nearly as much, but I follow sports in general enough (it used to be my career) to know analytics has a home in that sport too.  Just Google Hockey and Analytics for your answer. 
 

You don’t have to like analytics….  But the sports world has changed entirely because of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I said before, it's a question of degree and like anything else, too much is just that, too much. You can only tell so much from numbers, esp when evaluating draft talent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, krunk said:

I wholely DO Not agree. Deon Jackson is a better player than Wilkins. And we never put these type of ideas forward when Wilkins was here.  We dont need to draft another back, we just need to see more of Deon.  Theres a reason why you started seeing less and less of Mack down the road and it wasnt just bc of Taylor. 

I don't dislike Deon, but I don't think this is entirely true. I think Wilkins wasn't vaxxed, and got sick, and had more long term issues coming back from it. So you already know that ticked management off alot, let alone when its  3rd string RB. Deon played over Mack as well because he plays special teams, and Mack doesn't. All of our back ups have to be ST guys or likely won't dress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going LB. Okreke a FA next year we let one go and never signed one for Walker. I like Troy Anderson in the 4th. Special Teams his first year than MLB his 2nd. Was a converted QB who I think also played Safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I see them picking up a UDFA as backup RB. No 1st rounder, and too many other holes to fill this year for a luxury pick. 

 

 

No one said to spend a top pick on a RB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, OregonapolisColtsFan said:

Has anyone watched Jamyr Gibbs from GA Tech? Looks like a talented kid, reminds me of CJ2K they way he glides past people, and catches like a receiver. Could be a fun player for the offense. Either he or Hines could play a little slot maybe, so it would give us that versatility.

 

edit: whoops I think he isn’t draft eligible yet

Big fan of Gibbs. He transferred to bama and will be the starter. He will blow up this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Ballard will take just about any position....if he has the player ranked high enough...and he falls a good ways.....

 

But I highly doubt RB is on his list of must gets, all things being equal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So Ballard will take just about any position....if he has the player ranked high enough...and he falls a good ways.....

 

But I highly doubt RB is on his list of must gets, all things being equal. 


If it happens at all, I suspect we’re talking about Day 3….   5th or 6th round.   Nothing more.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...