Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you were an NFL owner...

jonjon

What would your approach or style be? For example, I'd have a heart to heart with my GM, coaches, etc and let them know:

- Two kinds of players I don't tolerate on my team. First are head cases...thugs, arrogant jerks, egomaniacs, whatever. Zero tolerance. (That actually goes for coaches or anyone else as well.) The second is injury-prone guys. There's a little more gray area there depending on the specifics, but for the most part, I would avoid these guys big time, even if they're great players. 

- Tempting as it would be to play Jerry Jones and be GM, I'd rather bring in someone who knows more about it and let him run it. That said, But I'd let him know I would still have input and make some decisions as needed. Where I would try to back off the most is on draft day, but again I'd have input and in (hopefully rare) situations if there's a guy I'm strongly for or against, I'd step in. 

- I'd be willing to spend on FAs, but not just go crazy. Mostly I would probably tend to avoid the super pricey top guys, but that again depends on specifics. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I understand the frustration of perceiving certain inequities with how football players are compensated...or not....compared to other well compensated people.  I just don't subscribe to the idea that its being led by some big bad, evil, invisible NFL hand that has to be countered by a big good invisible hand that we all need to take action against.  The way things are is the simple result of 350 million people making many individual decisions every day of their lives which intersect with others' decisions about their lives.  That applies to the NFL or any other industry.  The rich group of owners are not guiding everything that happens.  It is what it is, and the results are what they are.

I don't know the circumstances of Haskins death, but if the dump truck driver was not ticketed for inappropriate driving, I assume that Haskins is now dead because he didn't have enough awareness at the moment to see that big truck moving fast.  That's not an accusation, that's a matter of fact.  And most people probably would not have attempted to cross the interstate in the first place.  The first bad individual decision.  I'm sorry if I sound unemotionally or insensitive, but if there is advocation for changing "how things are" because of stuff like this, we need to look at what actually happened pretty unemotionally.

Should PITT have paid Haskins more because he might get hit by a truck?

Should IND pay Luck more because he might cut his career short by snowboarding?

Should PITT pay Big Ben more because he might go over the front of his motorcycle?

A lot of NFL players don't put themselves into those positions, so I don't see why the league or the owners should be bashed for how much money they make compared to the players. 

The issue of CTE has been brought to their attention.  And it seem like reasonable people are trying to address it reasonably.

As far as college football.  I think there should be some level of basic stipend for the players.  It just seems fair for all of the extra time they are now required to put into the program....and conduct a clean personal life to boot.  I still can't get to the place that says the NCAA is taking advantage of kids though.  The reality is, for every player who's life has been changed by college football there are probably 5 players that go right back to being what they would have been in life if they did not take a 4 year pit stop of playing football.  If they are a CPA at age 30, they probably would have been one if they didn't play college football.  If they are a dump truck driver at age 30, they probably would have been one if they did not play college football.  People are what they are.  Sometimes the exposure works out for a better life, sometimes not.  That's dictated by every individual and I don't see where the NCAA, the NFL, or rich people in general bear that responsibility for what happens, or feel like they need to do something about it.

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread.   

My first approach would be to try and get an Elite QB as in a QB that will be top 5-7 every season. Reason being that alone will always give a team a chance to win a SB and the team we would probably win 10-12 games every season. 2nd approach is build a good-great defense. The Patriots from 2001-2004 won 3 SB's with Tom Brady and a great defense. The rest is gravy because if you have a top 5-7 QB then good WR's will want to come to your team. 1 outlier I would say is if a RB was there in the draft like a Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, even a Jonathan Taylor, I would take either of those with a top 10 pick.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My first approach would be to try and get an Elite QB as in a QB that will be top 5-7 every season. Reason being that alone will always give a team a chance to win a SB and the team we would probably win 10-12 games every season. 2nd approach is build a good-great defense. The Patriots from 2001-2004 won 3 SB's with Tom Brady and a great defense. The rest is gravy because if you have a top 5-7 QB then good WR's will want to come to your team. 1 outlier I would say is if a RB was there in the draft like a Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, even a Jonathan Taylor, I would take either of those with a top 10 pick.

To follow this up that is why Irsay knows Wentz wasn't the answer. Matt Ryan is no longer a top 5-7 QB (because of age) but he is a franchise QB and gives the Colts a punchers chance of going deep in the playoffs. Winning the division now becomes a realistic goal with Matt at QB for 2 years. Irsay wants a chance every year so I figured he wouldn't settle for Mayfield, Mariota, Trubisky, etc. with the roster we have which is good. IMO Just for 2 years, I would rather have Matt Ryan than Derek Carr.

Archived