Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Colts sign Stephon Gilmore (Merge)

Smonroe

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

And I doubt he’d be as cheap as Rhodes.   

Doesn’t seem like a Ballard move.  

IDK.  Ballard ponied up $10m for Fisher coming off an Achilles.  He does it sporadically.   Funchess.  Ebron was a little lower but a big name.

I think the question is what is the real price.  And are the injuries recurring.

I think this would be a shrewd move for the right money and right length of contract if nothing more than to serve as a mentor for Rodgers, Tell and whatever rookies are brought in.

It also would serve as a reprieve from HAVING to draft a CB that is a starter as a rookie. Then they can target toolsy guys that still need some refinement and let them learn at a slower pace.

28 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure about this.  How much does he have felt in the tank?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/04/colts-meet-with-cb-stephon-gilmore

He has enough, I’ve seen his play over the past three seasons. He has fell off a bit i think largely due to injury but he can still lock up the best of them. I think he will excel in Gus’s defense. With the pass rush hopefully turning up he should have a great season. I really hope they sign him.

23 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

And I doubt he’d be as cheap as Rhodes.   

Doesn’t seem like a Ballard move.  

When Irsay mentioned bringing in a Vet we all would be excited about, Gilmore made the most sense to me after the trade of Rock. I think they were waiting on the market on him to drop a bit. 

• Superman changed the title to Colts Meeting with Stephon Gilmore
10 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And according to some people on the internet, Peyton Manning sucked. Stats are stats. Gilmore was almost a top 5 CB last season. 

When not injured. 

What is almost top 5?  You mean #6? but exaggerated to make it sound better?

39 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Don't get your hopes up. If he was flown in and left without signing, he's probably just enjoying the attention. He will end up on the Rams.

How I envision his visit here today:

"Can you still play?"

"You bet I can still play"

"After your injury?"
"Yup"
"At your age?"

"Yeah"

"Fantastic"
"Will you give me a three year deal?"

"Nope"

"Thanks.  I'll be talking to the Rams next."

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

He was PFF 7th best corner last season. 

I didn't say last season, not sure what you're beef is, unless you like Ballard and have to start pumping up the move already.  Even before its happened.

The year before last, Rhodes was very good for us...and older than Gilmore.  There was talk of him having a rebirth of his skills while here.  Last season, the season you....and only you....are apparently focused on, Rhodes dropped off because of injuries.

"Gilmore is probably better than Rhodes, but his performance drops off when injured".  What exactly is the problem with that statement?  What, Gilmore plays just as well when injured than when not?

So more accurately, " When Gilmore was on the field playing, he was a top 10 Corner, statistically speaking."  Is that better?

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't say last season, not sure what you're beef is, unless you like Ballard and have to start pumping up the move already.  Even before its happened.

The year before last, Rhodes was very good for us...and older than Gilmore.  There was talk of him having a rebirth of his skills while here.  Last season, the season you....and only you....are apparently focused on, Rhodes dropped off because of injuries.

"Gilmore is probably better than Rhodes, but his performance drops off when injured".  What exactly is the problem with that statement?  What, Gilmore plays just as well when injured than when not?

So more accurately, " When Gilmore was on the field playing, he was a top 10 Corner, statistically speaking."  Is that better?

So, you said “injuries have compromised his performance.” Normally when someone speaks of a player, they speak of their recent performance, which would be the previous season. I don’t have a beef in the slightest. But if you’re gonna say something like that, then you at least should have something to back it up, other than what people say on Twitter and Reddit. And yes, I’m literally the “only” person who focuses on previous season stats and performance. I DO like Ballard, but I never said I was a shill for him and supported every move. If you wanna pull assumptions out of thin air, then be my guest. 

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think Indy is the best for for him with Facyson it would give us 4 starting caliber Corner's, we could draft one mid round and concentrate on WR,TE and O Line early.

Calling Facyson and Rodgers "starting caliber cbs" is a little bit on the hopeful side for me at this point.  

That said, I'm exactly that, hopeful.

33 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

So, you said “injuries have compromised his performance.” Normally when someone speaks of a player, they speak of their recent performance, which would be the previous season. I don’t have a beef in the slightest. But if you’re gonna say something like that, then you at least should have something to back it up, other than what people say on Twitter and Reddit. And yes, I’m literally the “only” person who focuses on previous season stats and performance. I DO like Ballard, but I never said I was a shill for him and supported every move. If you wanna pull assumptions out of thin air, then be my guest. 

What?  No, I don't have to prepare my Colts forum 2 sentence comments like I'm writing a 27 page white paper with footnotes and references, Mr. forum police.

You simply got all worked up for nothing. 

If I were to talk about TY, I would not talk about his very last season here.  I would talk about his trajectory as a plyer, which is the important thing at this point and also why Gilmore was not re-signed by his team nor any other team at this point.  What's he got left? is the question.  To compare Gilmore to Rhodes is a valid comparison,...throwing a simple name out there and simple comparison that a reader might be familiar with...where nonserious injury compromised his performance over 17 games....not specifically the games he played.  

Its your fault if you expected more analysis to a two sentence comment.

43 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Anyone have a breakdown of how he plays in zone?  I thought he was a man corner that locks up the #1 all game. 

He use to be an elite man corner but those days are gone. He maybe able to transition to a very good man/zone corner. Bill puts a lot of pressure on his corners and he just doesn't believe Gilmore has it. Playing in this D would take some pressure off Gilmore.

52 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He use to be an elite man corner but those days are gone. He maybe able to transition to a very good man/zone corner. Bill puts a lot of pressure on his corners and he just doesn't believe Gilmore has it. Playing in this D would take some pressure off Gilmore.

I’m all for talent added to the team but hopefully it’s a good scheme fit. I’m sure the coaches know what they are doing if interested in signing him. I will try to watch some film on him and see how he is aging. I watched a couple games of his in 2019 but nothing since then so I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

What?  No, I don't have to prepare my Colts forum 2 sentence comments like I'm writing a 27 page white paper with footnotes and references, Mr. forum police.

You simply got all worked up for nothing. 

If I were to talk about TY, I would not talk about his very last season here.  I would talk about his trajectory as a plyer, which is the important thing at this point and also why Gilmore was not re-signed by his team nor any other team at this point.  What's he got left? is the question.  To compare Gilmore to Rhodes is a valid comparison,...throwing a simple name out there and simple comparison that a reader might be familiar with...where nonserious injury compromised his performance over 17 games....not specifically the games he played.  

Its your fault if you expected more analysis to a two sentence comment.

Lol, I expect nothing from you, because it's literally not worth reading. If you can't handle someone challenging you on what you've got to say, and then you try and turn it around on me because I called out whatever nonsense you were spewing about Gilmore, then that's on YOU and your inability to contribute anything worthwhile.

So what we still don’t know is this….  How’d the meeting go?    Did Gilmore spend the night in Indy?    Did Ballard and Irsay and Bradley wine and dine him?   ir did Gilmore get on a plane and go home? 

Do we wake up on Thursday with the answers to any of these questions?   

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So what we still don’t know is this….  How’d the meeting go?    Did Gilmore spend the night in Indy?    Did Ballard and Irsay and Bradley wine and dine him?   ir did Gilmore get on a plane and go home? 

Do we wake up on Thursday with the answers to any of these questions?   

200.gif

Archived