Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz26 Mock Draft 1.0

Before we get into the mock, I want to give you guys an insight as to how I determine the picks. 

Basically what I do is determine who the “Ballard Guys” are. With his tenure with the Colts, Ballard has shown a clear and somewhat predictable pattern as to how he drafts. He has certain traits that he values and never waivers on when it comes to player measurements. There are others where there’s a preference but he’s willing to budge on. Those traits are:

-Elite athletes with high RAS (non negotiable for the most part but Rock Ya-Sin had a subpar RAS)

-At least 32” arms for corners and linebackers (non-negotiable)

-WRs who can block

-Team captains (negotiable as obviously not everyone can be a captain in college)

-High character

-Senior Bowl participants (not always the case but we draft a lot of guys who are invites)

So what I do is scout the players who check all those boxes and look for tape that matches and put them in tier 1. Guys that check every other box but maybe a guy wasn’t a team captain or wasn’t a senior Bowl guy a put in tier 2. I run draft simulators for 3 different sites and see which guys fall to our pick consistently and that’s my mock. Tier 1 guys get priority over tier 2 guys obviously 

So the following are guys that I think Ballard will be interested in drafting based on what he likes and his draft tendencies.

Round 2: Trey McBride, TE Colorado State- This is a tier one Ballard guy who checks every single box, and also immediately fills the need for a pass catching TE (which just so happens to be a favorite target for Ryan). McBride is TE1 in this class and he can block as well, but he will be a mismatch in the passing game.

Round 3: Nick Cross, FS Maryland- Safety might not seem like a clear and obvious need, but it is and Ballard doesn’t draft for need. The FS position is important in Bradley’s scheme. This draft is full of rangy safeties with elite athletic profiles (Cross has a 9.87 RAS). Cross screams Ballard pick to me. Just an elite high character athlete with outstanding tape.

Round 4: Bo Melton, WR Rutgers- While he may not be the 6 ft.+ receiver that Ballard usually drafts, Melton checks every other box. If you want speed at receiver he’s got it with a 4.34 40. If you watch his senior bowl tape he’s got some really good release packages as well. This is my sleeper pick

Round 5: Matt Waletzko, OT South Dakota- This is low key one of the best athletic specimens in the draft. He’s got a 9.92 RAS but he has insane 36” arms. You’re betting on traits at this point in the draft though. He needs to not skip leg day though, as he’s got a lean lower.

Round 5 (Comp Pick): Jaylen Watson, CB Washington State- Again, at this point you’re betting on traits. Watson is built just like new Colts corner Brandon Facyson (6’2” and 197 lbs) but has a surprising 9.82 RAS. He’s the prototypical Ballard corner but is also what Bradley seems to like in his corners as well. Team captain, Senior bowl participant,6 and his pro day was insane. Might honestly go higher than this. Potential starter

Round 6: Vincent Gray, CB Michigan- Again, traits. He was only around a 7 or so for his RAS but he’s long, fluid, and tackles. Those will be musts in a Bradley defense. Probably makes the practice squad though

Round 7: Chris Hinton, DT Michigan-Dad used to play for the Colts. Worth a shot since we could use some defensive line depth.

Also should be noted that I expect Ballard to move up and down the draft board as he usually does but I never do trades in my mocks because they’re so hard to predict. Also do to the lack of depth at so many positions I can see a lot of our draft picks making the final 53 this year. 

But as always, feedback and comments are more than welcome.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Before we get into the mock, I want to give you guys an insight as to how I determine the picks. 

Basically what I do is determine who the “Ballard Guys” are. With his tenure with the Colts, Ballard has shown a clear and somewhat predictable pattern as to how he drafts. He has certain traits that he values and never waivers on when it comes to player measurements. There are others where there’s a preference but he’s willing to budge on. Those traits are:

-Elite athletes with high RAS (non negotiable for the most part but Rock Ya-Sin had a subpar RAS)

-WRs who can block

-Team captains (negotiable as obviously not everyone can be a captain in college)

-High character

-Senior Bowl participants (not always the case but we draft a lot of guys who are invites)

So what I do is scout the players who check all those boxes and look for tape that matches and put them in tier 1. Guys that check every other box but maybe a guy wasn’t a team captain or wasn’t a senior Bowl guy a put in tier 2. I run draft simulators for 3 different sites and see which guys fall to our pick consistently and that’s my mock. Tier 1 guys get priority over tier 2 guys obviously 

So the following are guys that I think Ballard will be interested in drafting based on what he likes and his draft tendencies.

Round 2: Trey McBride, TE Colorado State- This is a tier one Ballard guy who checks every single box, and also immediately fills the need for a pass catching TE (which just so happens to be a favorite target for Ryan). McBride is TE1 in this class and he can block as well, but he will be a mismatch in the passing game.

Round 3: Nick Cross, FS Maryland- Safety might not seem like a clear and obvious need, but it is and Ballard doesn’t draft for need. The FS position is important in Bradley’s scheme. This draft is full of rangy safeties with elite athletic profiles (Cross has a 9.87 RAS). Cross screams Ballard pick to me. Just an elite high character athlete with outstanding tape.

Round 4: Bo Melton, WR Rutgers- While he may not be the 6 ft.+ receiver that Ballard usually drafts, Melton checks every other box. If you want speed at receiver he’s got it with a 4.34 40. If you watch his senior bowl tape he’s got some really good release packages as well. This is my sleeper pick

Round 5: Matt Waletzko, OT South Dakota- This is low key one of the best athletic specimens in the draft. He’s got a 9.92 RAS but he has insane 36” arms. You’re betting on traits at this point in the draft though. He needs to not skip leg day though, as he’s got a lean lower.

Round 5 (Comp Pick): Jaylen Watson, CB Washington State- Again, at this point you’re betting on traits. Watson is built just like new Colts corner Brandon Facyson (6’2” and 197 lbs) but has a surprising 9.82 RAS. He’s the prototypical Ballard corner but is also what Bradley seems to like in his corners as well. Team captain, Senior bowl participant,6 and his pro day was insane. Might honestly go higher than this. Potential starter

Round 6: Vincent Gray, CB Michigan- Again, traits. He was only around a 7 or so for his RAS but he’s long, fluid, and tackles. Those will be musts in a Bradley defense. Probably makes the practice squad though

Round 7: Chris Hinton, DT Michigan-Dad used to play for the Colts. Worth a shot since we could use some defensive line depth.

Also should be noted that I expect Ballard to move up and down the draft board as he usually does but I never do trades in my mocks because they’re so hard to predict. Also do to the lack of depth at so many positions I can see a lot of our draft picks making the final 53 this year. 

Appreciate your analysis and time spent. I have to admit I haven't watched much CFB last year or done much research on the draftees.

But I like the positions of the first few picks and your descriptions of them.

We desperately need receiving TE and WR help. I wouldn't  mind swapping  a WR in round 3 and FS in round 4 but since you did the work I'll go with your opinion. 

57 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Appreciate your analysis and time spent. I have to admit I haven't watched much CFB last year or done much research on the draftees.

But I like the positions of the first few picks and your descriptions of them.

We desperately need receiving TE and WR help. I wouldn't  mind swapping  a WR in round 3 and FS in round 4 but since you did the work I'll go with your opinion. 

With the news of us signing McLeod, that’s exactly what I would do. 

On 4/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, Defjamz26 said:

-WRs who can block

-High character

I do like Melton.  Good player!

-WRs who can block

-High character

Cross is fast but he may be more of a SS than a middle fielder. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Cross is fast but he may be more of a SS than a middle fielder. 

I’ve seen him make some great plays on the back end though. He’s got the range and IQ to play FS. But if he had to move to SS, I don’t see any issues with that. He’d be Jamal Adams but he can actually cover.

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve seen him make some great plays on the back end though. He’s got the range and IQ to play FS. But if he had to move to SS, I don’t see any issues with that. He’d be Jamal Adams but he can actually cover.

Yeah Adams is exactly my comp for him

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah Adams is exactly my comp for him

That’s a fine comp for him. I’d rather have Jamal Adams over Khari Willis lol. Willis isn’t a bad player by any means, but a guy like cross would be a huge upgrade as he’s way more dynamic and explosive.

-WRs who can block

-High character

Trey would be a good pickup, but from the many mocks, notable TEs are going in rounds 3,4,5

42 may be a bit early for him...... maybe trade 42 and pick up multiple picks and still get McBride in the 3rd

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Trey would be a good pickup, but from the many mocks, notable TEs are going in rounds 3,4,5

42 may be a bit early for him...... maybe trade 42 and pick up multiple picks and still get McBride in the 3rd

Trading back in the 2nd and still getting him is a possibility. But being that he’s TE1 in this class, I don’t think he’ll be available in the 3rd. Athletic TEs are always overdrafted now. McCbride can actually play though so I see him going in the 2nd for sure.

-WRs who can block

-High character

Jelani Woods may be as close to that Ebron type TE that we've needed though as I've watched more.  I kept kind of down playing him at first because he looked like and moved like Mo Ali Cox to me.  But i have to admit he's got some really high athletic scores including the 4.6 40.  And his frame is the same as Gronkowski.  He's a really big dude who can cause bad matchup problems and I think he could learn to be just as good of a blocker as Mo Cox. Something Ebron was alergic too.

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Trading back in the 2nd and still getting him is a possibility. But being that he’s TE1 in this class, I don’t think he’ll be available in the 3rd. Athletic TEs are always overdrafted now. McCbride can actually play though so I see him going in the 2nd for sure.

I don't think 2 is too early because the real valuation is based on what the team thinks about the player.  A lot of people thought Darius Leonard was drafted too high.  Colts felt differently 

On 4/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I'm all for getting a TE that can make plays and not just to run block. I think Trey would be a great fit for the passing game. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jelani Woods may be as close to that Ebron type TE that we've needed though as I've watched more.  I kept kind of down playing him at first because he looked like and moved like Mo Ali Cox to me.  But i have to admit he's got some really high athletic scores including the 4.6 40.  And his frame is the same as Gronkowski.  He's a really big dude who can cause bad matchup problems and I think he could learn to be just as good of a blocker as Mo Cox. Something Ebron was alergic too.

An Ebron type of TE that can block? 

giphy.gif

Archived