Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Willis at 42?

Not happening. Willis may or may not be the 1st QB drafted, but he will for sure be drafted in the 1st round.

If the Colts truly like a QB in this class, I’d imagine they’ll target someone like Carson Strong In the 3rd round. 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This Site is going nuts with some of these posts lmao . We aren't drafting a QB this year and why would we when Matt Ryan is under contract for 2 years. We need help at WR and LT + secondary help. 

Your assuming he’s going to be able to play for two more years. If the Colts are in love with him why not make every effort to move up and grab him? Willis setting for a year or two behind Matt would be good for him and an insurance policy if Matt tail’s off.

21 hours ago, Moe said:

Your assuming he’s going to be able to play for two more years. If the Colts are in love with him why not make every effort to move up and grab him? Willis setting for a year or two behind Matt would be good for him and an insurance policy if Matt tail’s off.

I think Matt has at least 2 good years left, he will be similar to Rivers IMO but Rivers was 2 years older. 200.gif- Homer says hell with a glass, I will just drink beer from the spout/tap lmao 

On 4/8/2022 at 11:27 AM, Colt.45 said:

Exactly. This should be a no-brainer. If Willis is there, you pick him and thank the football gods for it. 

I'd do more than thank the football gods if What you Talkin bout Willis is there at 42, I'd offer a live sacrifice!!! :funny:

• Haha 2

So my question is wouldn’t it cost a lot less this year to trade up and draft your next quarterback vs next year’s draft? It really seems it would take a draft hall to move up into the top 10 next year to draft a quarterback.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Moe said:

Lol so the Colts just going to keep kicking the can down the road with another band-aid quarterback with out supporting him?

What's funny is calling Matt Ryan a "band aid" QB. He's short term obviously, but assuming he can still play at the level he's been playing at (no guarantees, we'll see), he's still one of the better QBs in the league. But I agree that he needs more support, and that's been frustrating to me. So help me if we go all defense in the early rounds I may just drive to Indy just so I can slap Ballard in the face. :) 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:40 PM, Moe said:

So my question is wouldn’t it cost a lot less this year to trade up and draft your next quarterback vs next year’s draft? It really seems it would take a draft hall to move up into the top 10 next year to draft a quarterback.

It would take far more to to move up this year, so the answer is no, esp given that this is a relatively weak QB class. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Ya....this aged well.

It was a typo, you meant 120.....:D

I'm so surprised he kept falling & falling & falling. And just as disappointed we didn't get him, not even in the 3rd. I don't care if he turns out to be a Big Bust, it would have been exciting to have him. But even worse he goes to our division rivals, now we have to root against him. :yuk:

@stitches how ya feeling bout your boy going to the Titans? Think he'll start sometime next year? I like that pick for the Titans. They've done exactly what i think we should. See if this player can develop, and if he doesnt, dip again in 2023.....but they absolutely need to upgrade on Tannehill to get over the hump, and Willis has that potential.

Matt Ryan > Ryan Tannehill though so our need might not be as immediate as theirs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Colt.45 said:

@stitches how ya feeling bout your boy going to the Titans? Think he'll start sometime next year? I like that pick for the Titans. They've done exactly what i think we should. See if this player can develop, and if he doesnt, dip again in 2023.....but they absolutely need to upgrade on Tannehill to get over the hump, and Willis has that potential.

Matt Ryan > Ryan Tannehill though so our need might not be as immediate as theirs.

Titans know they aren't going anywhere with Tannehill but Willis being a rookie wouldn't even be better. Matt Ryan is the best QB in our division even at 37 years old.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Good pick for the Titans, even if he doesn't pan out they invested relatively little and won't be lured into investing too much time and resources in case it doesn't look like Willis can cut it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Good pick for the Titans, even if he doesn't pan out they invested relatively little and won't be lured into investing too much time and resources in case it doesn't look like Willis can cut it. 

It was a GREAT pick for the Titans!!! Like you said, even if it doesn't pan out, nothing to lose. But if he does reach close to his potential, the Colts will regret not investing so little on a very highly talented prospect, especially with only a near 40 year old and a 6th rounder that lacks starter talent and has never taken a NFL snap on the roster.

Whats potentially even worse is the colts may be looking up to both Lawrence & Willis dominate the division for a decade while we could still have a revolving door at the most important position in sports.

But that's what happens when your thrifty. Last year's off-season and draft were underwhelming to put it nicely, and with so many needs this season and lack of free agency signings, the colts need and cherish every pick to fill their needs.So picking a highly talented but developmental QB is a luxury they can't afford. But the Titans could and have the foresight to spend a very late 3rd round pick on possibly a right handed Michael Vick.

Kudos to them.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It was a GREAT pick for the Titans!!! Like you said, even if it doesn't pan out, nothing to lose. But if he does reach close to his potential, the Colts will regret not investing so little on a very highly talented prospect, especially with only a near 40 year old and a 6th rounder that lacks starter talent and has never taken a NFL snap on the roster.

Whats potentially even worse is the colts may be looking up to both Lawrence & Willis dominate the division for a decade while we could still have a revolving door at the most important position in sports.

But that's what happens when your thrifty. Last year's off-season and draft were underwhelming to put it nicely, and with so many needs this season and lack of free agency signings, the colts need and cherish every pick to fill their needs.So picking a highly talented but developmental QB is a luxury they can't afford. But the Titans could and have the foresight to spend a very late 3rd round pick on possibly a right handed Michael Vick.

Kudos to them.

Vick won 2 playoff games in his career

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Vick won 2 playoff games in his career

Some people are so bent at drafting a QB, it is like a strange addiction. We didn't need to draft one this year and why some people still don't get that is mindboggling. Willis could turn out to be like Jordan Love for all we know. Titans gambled on him at 86th lol because they know with Tannehill they can't do anything in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people are so bent at drafting a QB, it is like a strange addiction. We didn't need to draft one this year and why some people still don't get that is mindboggling. Willis could turn out to be like Jordan Love for all we know. Titans gambled on him at 86th lol because they know with Tannehill they can't do anything in the playoffs.

What's mindboggling  is how some fans rather use a pick to acquire "just a guy" instead of taking a shot at hitting on the most important  position in sports! 

Everyone of the first 4 picks will pale in importance to the team of Willis becomes a franchise/elite QB. Pierce! Woods,Raiman, Cross can all be replaced in middle rounds or second tier free agency!

D to think the titans got him in the the bottom of the 4th...... Brilliant. 

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What's mindboggling  is how some fans rather use a pick to acquire "just a guy" instead of taking a shot at hitting on the most important  position in sports! 

Everyone of the first 4 picks will pale in importance to the team of Willis becomes a franchise/elite QB. Pierce! Woods,Raiman, Cross can all be replaced in middle rounds or second tier free agency!

He slid for a reason

I just want to say that all the forum who basically said "i won't even glorify this question with an answer because there is no way Willis is making it to 42. That's absurd. Get real".......well those folks do at least in some capacity owe some apologies to the original poster or should sit down to their serving of crow or humble pie lol

I admit as Willis (and all the other QBs) kept falling, I actually was all for taking him. 

Even with QB not being a need, having a cheap QB on a rookie deal that could be developed without pressure of perorming immediately was intriguing. Especially as the cost kept tumbling.

That being said, it is very hard to not absolutely love Woods and Raimann

I was pretty openly fan-boying on Raimann for pick 42 and didn't think he would even tumble there. So I absolutely loved that pick.

And woods was a guy I kept trying to get in my PFF mock drafts and I could never get him since he would always go after our 3rd and before our 4th.

Still, kudos to the original poster and other who at least entertained the idea of Willis possibly falling, since we all obviously have no clue what to expect other than mock drafts that other industry experts put out, which clearly lacks information on some players at times.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I guess Brady did too.

Sam is a 6th rounder.  I guess he could be the next Brady.   What running first qb has went deep in the playoffs?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

well those folks do at least in some capacity owe some apologies to the original poster or should sit down to their serving of crow or humble pie lol

I was the one to unearth the thread by quoting my own inaccuracies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I was the one to unearth the thread by quoting my own inaccuracies. 

kudos man

i have absolutely no issues circling back on my rough takes whenever i can too. i also admit i would have likely felt the same way others did but just not as strongly.

still surprised how all the QBs dropped. crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the draft I heard one reporter say this about Willis….   That a personnel person had told him that the offense that Liberty ran “did Willis no favors”.   

In a nutshell it was described like this….    At the snap, Willis checks his first read and if it’s not there tuck it and run.    That’s it. 

So basic and rudimentary that teams fear that Willis might need TWO YEARS watching and learning before even getting his shot.   That scared off interested teams and explains the fall. 

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This year wasn't the year to draft a quarterback which is obvious as I have posted a ton. It would have been a wasted pick. Matt Ryan has at least 2 if not 3 years left. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This year wasn't the year to draft a quarterback which is obvious as I have posted a ton. It would have been a wasted pick. Matt Ryan has at least 2 if not 3 years left. 

Who says or better yet WHO KNOWS what year it is better to draft a qb??? 

Everyone said the 2018 qb class was the best since the '83 class.

The only one that isn't  disappointing or bust is Josh Allen. Baker, Darnold, and Rose were disappointing picks to say the least.....oh I forgot someone, Lamar Jackson is good BUT HE'S  THE ONE they said isn't QB material and try out as a WR.

Point is you never know about a class or a individual.  

Ryan might play at a decent to good level but doubt it's  at a "elite" level at his age and diminished arm strength and lack of mobility.  It's not guaranteed the colts get 1 year of good play from him let alone 3? and that's if he doesn't get injured. 

It's  never a bad time to invest into a potential QB for the near future, especially when the QB 's skill set and athleticism is OFF THE CHARTS!!! And since he surprisingly he fell it would have been for a measley third-round pick.

PROPS to the Titans for having the Foresight to move up to get possibly a future star QB  for peanuts and absolutely nothing to lose.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Who says or better yet WHO KNOWS what year it is better to draft a qb??? 

Everyone said the 2018 qb class was the best since the '83 class.

The only one that isn't  disappointing or bust is Josh Allen. Baker, Darnold, and Rose were disappointing picks to say the least.....oh I forgot someone, Lamar Jackson is good BUT HE'S  THE ONE they said isn't QB material and try out as a WR.

Point is you never know about a class or a individual.  

Ryan might play at a decent to good level but doubt it's  at a "elite" level at his age and diminished arm strength and lack of mobility.  It's not guaranteed the colts get 1 year of good play from him let alone 3? and that's if he doesn't get injured. 

It's  never a bad time to invest into a potential QB for the near future, especially when the QB 's skill set and athleticism is OFF THE CHARTS!!! And since he surprisingly he fell it would have been for a measley third-round pick.

PROPS to the Titans for having the Foresight to move up to get possibly a future star QB  for peanuts and absolutely nothing to lose.

You keep saying Matt Ryan has diminished arm strength in a lot of your posts. Watch some of his highlights from 2021, it isn't that diminished. It is better than Rivers had in 2020. Ryan will be good.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

Projected to be drafted in the first round by everyone.  He’s not getting out of the first round.   And if he miraculously did, he’d have to get past 9 other teams to reach the Colts.  

Willis at 42 is a pipe dream.   Not happening. 

Im in the immediate needs camp.  100 percent.  Always have been.   

Our quarterback of the future is in our future, not our present. 

Waaaay off on this one!

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Waaaay off on this one!

Everyone was……

All the way to mid-3rd round?!?    Wowza, sure didn’t see that happening.    Glad I’m not a betting man!   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You keep saying Matt Ryan has diminished arm strength in a lot of your posts. Watch some of his highlights from 2021, it isn't that diminished. It is better than Rivers had in 2020. Ryan will be good.

I like Ryan, I don't think he'll be bad. Colts can win with him if the Football Gods permit, and I think they will for '22 lol.

It's the couple years from now that I'm talking about when he's done and theres no chance of having a young successor on the roster. 

Who knows, 3 years from now or maybe even sooner, the colts will be looking at another veteran Band-aid.... maybe even Tannehill?

56 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I like Ryan, I don't think he'll be bad. Colts can win with him if the Football Gods permit, and I think they will for '22 lol.

It's the couple years from now that I'm talking about when he's done and theres no chance of having a young successor on the roster. 

Who knows, 3 years from now or maybe even sooner, the colts will be looking at another veteran Band-aid.... maybe even Tannehill?

I'm hoping Matty Ice is a 3 year bridge to Arch ( if he is lives up to his billing)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No please, not Tannehill Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm hoping Matty Ice is a 3 year bridge to Arch ( if he is lives up to his billing)

I have to admit that would be unreal haha 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If he is would the colts be in position to draft him OR any other potentially elite prospect?? ...... Probably not. Major resources would probably need to be spent and outbid other teams who usually are more willing and more aggressive at spending than the Colts.

Which brings is back to Willis, who may turn out to be a Bust but the talent is sky high and he could have been had for a very late 3rd round pick. 

The Titans and their fans are elated to have him, especially at such a bargain.