Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Willis at 42?

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

How would you feel about that? He could sit behind Ryan and learn. Would you rather us take a position of immediate need like wr? What say u?

I think I’d be okay if he’s absolutely who we want and falls to us. I mean it’s a gamble no matter what we do when you think about it. What if he doesn’t pan out? What if we need those immediate positions? But then again if Ryan only stays for a year? It would be nice to have a starting caliber rookie take the reins… 

I have a feeling we’ll end up trading back and then probably pick up a WR. But it’s an interesting thought exercise.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

How would you feel about that? He could sit behind Ryan and learn. Would you rather us take a position of immediate need like wr? What say u?

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

Projected to be drafted in the first round by everyone.  He’s not getting out of the first round.   And if he miraculously did, he’d have to get past 9 other teams to reach the Colts.  

Willis at 42 is a pipe dream.   Not happening. 

Im in the immediate needs camp.  100 percent.  Always have been.   

Our quarterback of the future is in our future, not our present. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

Projected to be drafted in the first round by everyone.  He’s not getting out of the first round.   And if he miraculously did, he’d have to get past 9 other teams to reach the Colts.  

This Site is going nuts with some of these posts lmao . We aren't drafting a QB this year and why would we when Matt Ryan is under contract for 2 years. We need help at WR and LT + secondary help. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but if you think Ballard is going to draft for need over BPA you are going to be as disappointed as many on this board .  Surprised you would think otherwise if you do.   It has never been Ballards MO to draft need over BPA.   He has said many times it is always BPA  

While I agree Willis wont make it to 42.  No way 

Again maybe I am misunderstanding your post   If so I apologize 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

My bad. I actually got confused on which QB we were discussing. Yeah Willis won’t be in the 2nd round. If he does fall that far that will be pretty epic. 

13 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Won’t be there.

Just a guess, but I think McBride makes a lot of sense. Pass catching TE that can block.

Dallas Clark was one of my all time faves.. would love another great TE

Mine too. He’s was very tough, but also a sneaky good route runner. The defense would lose him for just a moment and then he was off to the races down the field for a score. 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but if you think Ballard is going to draft for need over BPA you are going to be as disappointed as many on this board .  Surprised you would think otherwise if you do.   It has never been Ballards MO to draft need over BPA.   He has said many times it is always BPA  

While I agree Willis wont make it to 42.  No way 

Again maybe I am misunderstanding your post   If so I apologize 

First….   No need to apologize.   Meanings can easily be misunderstood on message boards.   We’re good.

BUT….   That’s actually NOT what Ballard has repeatedly said….   Yes, if a player is clearly the highest grade, then he’s taking BPA.  But if there are other players with similar grades, THEN he’s drafting for need.  And he has always said that.   He didn’t say that once, it’s been every time.  

I don’t like this quarterback class.  Worst since 2013.   I don’t want to spend our top pick on a player who — by design — won’t help us win this year.   I want to help Matt Ryan for every year he’s our quarterback, which I think will be more than the two years on his remaining contract.    That’s my position.  

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I doubt he’s there if we are being honest, but if he slides to us I’d actually pass. I’m riding the Ryan train until he’s ready to hang up the cleats. With that being said get him a weapon at 42 or someone that can protect him. 

6 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Willis there at 42???

No way Jose.

I doubt he falls outside top 10 unless Steelers put a claim on him and teams let him drop to them.

If Willis did drop to 15-25 Ballard should trade up to get him no matter the cost...all our other needs can be more easily addressed than a Future Franchise QB prospect like Willis, which btw some should have already been addressed by now.

Of course I seriously doubt Ballard does what it takes to move up to get him. He's more inclined to trade back and acquire more mid to late round picks..... Quantity over Quality is my guess what the colts will do to fill their numerous needs.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This Site is going nuts with some of these posts lmao . We aren't drafting a QB this year and why would we when Matt Ryan is under contract for 2 years. We need help at WR and LT + secondary help. 

WR, LT, and secondary should already been addressed through FA or Trades or at least partially. Those are important positions and shouldn't be relied upon rookies to come in immediately and contribute at a high level. 

Having Ryan for maybe 2 years or so shouldn't hinder this team from a top QB prospect if he should fall some and becomes available. 

Now if we are realistically talking about any QB falling I would expect it to be Carson Strong (Nevada).  With his injury history he might be available to us in Round 3.  Strong already being compared to an older Rivers....Reich-Rivers-Strong vibes as a possibility

Very obvious last season when Wentz was positive with Covid and was projected to miss a game and we called Rivers up instead of having much faith in Ehlinger as a viable starting option.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And when you consider that the general consensus is that next years' draft is so much stronger at QB, why would we waste a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guy who is most unlikely to take the field.  Save our picks for guys in positions that are more necessary, trust Ryan to do the job this season, and next, while looking at next season's draft to get a solid QB for the future

46 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Now if we are realistically talking about any QB falling I would expect it to be Carson Strong (Nevada).  With his injury history he might be available to us in Round 3.  Strong already being compared to an older Rivers....Reich-Rivers-Strong vibes as a possibility

Do you really think we should be looking to use an early pick on a guy with a bad injury history.  If Strong does fall, the reason for his fall is the exact reason why we should avoid him.

At best we shouldn't even be thinking of a QB until day 3

The Colts are doing their due diligence.  They may like a player and want to see him in person. Someone they really like may fall to late first they think is worth trading up for. Probably not but you look anyways bc we have the opportunity to let them sit and learn behind a veteran. 

Yes we have needs but if you can get your QB of the future at a cost you agree with...you always pay it. They are window shopping and I would be more worried if they weren’t checking out QBs. 

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

WR, LT, and secondary should already been addressed through FA or Trades or at least partially. Those are important positions and shouldn't be relied upon rookies to come in immediately and contribute at a high level. 

Having Ryan for maybe 2 years or so shouldn't hinder this team from a top QB prospect if he should fall some and becomes available. 

I would draft one next season, not this season. 

40 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They absolutely should, IF he actually slipped that far. But I don't think there is any chance that happens. 

Exactly. This should be a no-brainer. If Willis is there, you pick him and thank the football gods for it. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Malik Willis?    

This x100

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would draft one next season, not this season. 

Next season the Colts may have more holes than this season. Lol 

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use a first or second on a QB this year or next......maybe a 2nd next draft but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't unless a new regime is in which I doubt this is Ballards last season......Reich maybe but not Ballard.

With Matt Ryan, I’d rather grab a qb next year.  If we’re competitive, we may have to trade up which would involve us giving up a future first but I’m fine if it means we’re grabbing our qb of the future 

we need to go WR at 42.  Give Matt some more weapons 

I don't think Willis is a fit at QB.  He's not up to snuff on the mental side and requires a team installing a half field offense with read option to keep him comfortable.  Do you see the Colts doing that?  I think Irsay would fire his GM for suggesting such a thing.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:27 AM, Colt.45 said:

Exactly. This should be a no-brainer. If Willis is there, you pick him and thank the football gods for it. 

Yep. No brainer. Probably your best shot at a QB too, especially if you are competitive with Ryan and make the playoffs.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:38 PM, Patrick Miller said:

As most have said, it's highly unlikely he will be there. And I'm glad because IMO it would be a stupid move. A talented but aging QB = win now mode. And even if we didn't have Ryan, I'd say hard pass. QBs with impressive athleticism and physical gifts but who also too often make bad decisions/throws don't have a great track record in the NFL. No thank you. 

On 4/8/2022 at 3:43 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

WR, LT, and secondary should already been addressed through FA or Trades or at least partially.

Agreed. Sadly, they weren't. 

Yeah it should. And anything is possible of course, maybe he'll go on to stardom, but IMO Willis is one of the worst (or at least riskiest) "top QB prospects" I've seen in some time. Trading up for him would be a horrible idea. In fact, trading up for any QB wouldn't make any sense. 

39 minutes ago, jonjon said:

As most have said, it's highly unlikely he will be there. And I'm glad because IMO it would be a stupid move. A talented but aging QB = win now mode. And even if we didn't have Ryan, I'd say hard pass. QBs with impressive athleticism and physical gifts but who also too often make bad decisions/throws don't have a great track record in the NFL. No thank you. 

Agreed. Sadly, they weren't. 

Yeah it should. And anything is possible of course, maybe he'll go on to stardom, but IMO Willis is one of the worst (or at least riskiest) "top QB prospects" I've seen in some time. Trading up for him would be a horrible idea. In fact, trading up for any QB wouldn't make any sense. 

I agree he could turn out to be a Bust, like many other highly drafted QB's....or maybe he'll be elite? He has the physical talent. The thing is you keep swinging on QB's until you hit on one. In this day and age it's mighty difficult to succeed without one..

On 4/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, smittywerb said:

With Matt Ryan, I’d rather grab a qb next year.  If we’re competitive, we may have to trade up which would involve us giving up a future first but I’m fine if it means we’re grabbing our qb of the future 

we need to go WR at 42.  Give Matt some more weapons 

I don’t get the sense we are all in with Matt Ryan. If we where all in with Matt why not make more moves in free agency? seems like a bridge quarterback Willis could very well be in the cards.

Archived