Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we pretend Ballard would seriously consider a WR in the 2d round...who do you like

4 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

We will when we use our first round pick next year on TE Michael Mayer. Our 2nd rd needs to be on Desmond Ridder. Grab Bell in the 3rd.

It will be interesting to see what they do this year at QB (if they do anything)

They seem to be committed to Ryan for at least 2 years, which would seem make a pick next year for QB, in a supposedly rich class

I actually believe that we trade back in round 2 maybe 8-10 picks later as there are many WRs that could help

IF we do this ......  This move should net an additional late 3rd.......  

If Carson Strong is still on the board at the additional pick in round 3, maybe they take a swing 

Who knows? 

Bell seems to have everything but speed

Maybe he fills a slot role (like Ertz) and other 4.6 to 4.7 TEs

Jalen Tolbert is the guy I’d want but there’s a couple of guys who would have to be off the board first. I’m not as big on Skyy as everyone else. Same with Watson.

Personally I like the guys who might be available day 3. Top of the 4th I like Bo Melton from Rutgers. He’s 5’11” and ran a 4.34 40. But if you watch him in Senior Bowl 1-on-1’s he’s got some great release packages and can actually run routes. If we traded back some, I’d even take him in the 3rd round. Velus Jones is another one. 4.3 guy who is raw and older at 24 years old but he can play. 

But tbh, the first PASS CATCHER I would look at in the 2nd is Tre McBride the TE. I think he’s better and a more safer pick than guys like Moore, Watson, Pierce, Shakir, Bell, etc..

24 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

As a Purdue fan I would love if we picked Bell, but I’m not sure he’ll be there. He’s pretty good, and I think a team will take him late in the first or early in the second.

NO WAY David Bell goes in the 1st round or early 2nd. That would be absolutely insane. I realize his pro day went relatively well, but he still has the same 4'6 speed, and that will deter teams from taking him early IMO. He'll probably be there for our third round pick.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

NO WAY David Bell goes in the 1st round or early 2nd. That would be absolutely insane. I realize his pro day went relatively well, but he still has the same 4'6 speed, and that will deter teams from taking him early IMO. He'll probably be there for our third round pick.

I doubt he’ll be there in the third. I still think he’ll go late in the second at absolute worst just because of the media hype he’s gotten the past year or so. But hey, who knows, I never thought JT would have slipped to us in the second round two years ago after possibly the greatest college RB career ever, yet here we are.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, chickenMan said:

I doubt he’ll be there in the third. I still think he’ll go late in the second at absolute worst just because of the media hype he’s gotten the past year or so. But hey, who knows, I never thought JT would have slipped to us in the second round two years ago after possibly the greatest college RB career ever, yet here we are.

I think he WILL be there in round 3, and he’d be a great pick. Bell has “game day” speed like Jerry Rice, who also had   a lousy 40 yd time.  Give me the TE McBride with pick 42 to pair with Bell and  that would be a strong move to shore up the receiving corps. 

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I really want Wan’Dale Robinson in round 3 or 4. For round 2 I would want Dotson or Watson. 

For what it’s worth….   Robinson was listed at 5’10” and 185.     He showed up to the combine at 5’8” and 178.    He tested good, but not great.   Don’t be surprised if he slips, perhaps to R4. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   Robinson was listed at 5’10” and 185.     He showed up to the combine at 5’8” and 178.    He tested good, but not great.   Don’t be surprised if he slips, perhaps to R4. 

I'm looking at the combine, shows he's listed at 5'11''?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/wan-dale-robinson/3200524f-4271-7726-8cbf-ec8b4c6b1627

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

I'm looking at the combine, shows he's listed at 5'11''?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/wan-dale-robinson/3200524f-4271-7726-8cbf-ec8b4c6b1627

Thanks.    I believe the 5'11" and 185 were the numbers plugged in before the measurement.   They did not get updated.

Here's Robinson's Wiki page, which should be run by him and his agent.    If you scroll down to the section where it talks about his Pro Career,  you'll see his numbers are indeed listed as 5'8" and 178 from the Combine.   They didn't ellven update it on the measurements at the top of the wiki page.   Ooops.

Anyway,  I double checked with the Athletic, which has combine numbers for everyone,  and they confirm,  5'8" and 178.

Here's the Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan'Dale_Robinson

Because he's smaller than expected, and didn't test quite as well as expected,  I've seen his name as someone who might slip a round from where we all thought he'd go.   

So many good ones. I think the first and maybe second wave of "names" could be gone by 42. I'm leery of Metchie. Hamas schemes had him sooooo wide open it's hard to project him against NFL dbs. 

I like jalen Gilbert. Wan'DaleRobinson, sky moore.

If we wait a round or 2, I reallly like Tyquann Thornton from Baylor. Thin, but really good.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, Hawkeyecolt said:

For pick #42 my choices would be

1. Watson

2.Dotson

3. Pickens 

Watson doesn't have reliable hands and no way Dotson is still there (if by some miracle he is and we pass, I will personally drive to Indy to slap Ballard in the face). Pickens is a head case, no thank you. I don't know guys, I'd love a WR in the 2d, but more and more I'm wondering if there's one worth our pick. Maybe the best OL or a top TE is the move.

If the Colts are picking a receiver at #42 I believe that Skyy Moore, George Pickens and Treylon Burks are three names that Ballard should consider with a second round pick.  Skyy Moore is very elusive and has a reliable set of hands despite his smaller frame.  Pickens is the most polished among this group but his ACL tear last year makes injuries an issue to watch with him.  Burks has the frame and athletic traits to be a good NFL receiver and with some development would be worthy of a #42 pick.

There are several receivers that are worth watching in this class in rounds three and four: Christian Watson,  Alec Pierce,  John Metchie and Jalen Tolbert.  I think there are some names on day three the Colts might consider - Kevin Austin, Romeo Doubs, Danny Gray and Khalil Shakir are worth a look if they are available.  I think Ballard might trade down in Round 2 or 3 if he is not happy with what he sees and pick up extra picks for later rounds.  If this happens chances are good that the Colts might be double dipping at the receiver position depending on what happens with T.Y. Hilton.

If you go through the check list of what Ballard likes in a WR, you would have to assume he's probably INLOVE with Christian Watson. IMO probably one of the highest upsides in the draft. 6'5 with length and ran a 4.28 unofficially. Thats insane speed at his size. You can argue that he comes from a small school so that knocks him down a bit, but he absolutely tore up the senior bowl and consistently beat high end DB's throughout. Plus ND is all about the run game, so he blocks very well for a WR, something we know our FO values highly. As well as been on ST. If he's there some how at our picked, I'll be shocked if we pass on him.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, Solid84 said:

I'd actually like for Ballard to trade back a little in the 2nd and maybe get an additional late 3rd (dreaming I know) or 4th round pick.

In the 2nd I'm hoping for Tolbert or Watson. Hoping for Kerby Joseph (S) and Kellen Diesch (T) for our following picks.

If I were Ballard I would probably do what you''re saying as well unless there's a player on the board they really love.  Very good chance a nice WR is still on the board. Watson I would really love to have.  Just not so sure he'd be there. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

To be honest I think we'd be in pretty good shape with Jahan Dotson.  Really good player

He's one of my favorites and a player not many people are talking about. I don't talk about him because I expect him to go in R1 and don't want to raise my hopes up but if he's there at 42 IMO he's a no brainer. Also fits precisely a mold that we don't have right now.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's one of my favorites and a player not many people are talking about. I don't talk about him because I expect him to go in R1 and don't want to raise my hopes up but if he's there at 42 IMO he's a no brainer. Also fits precisely a mold that we don't have right now.

He's explosive like TY and runs his routes the right way. 

Just now, krunk said:

He's explosive like TY and runs his routes the right way. 

And for a relatively small and quick receiver has some of the best hands and ball skills in the draft IMO. Quite honestly I have no idea why he's not considered a top 20 pick or thereabout.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

He's been my favorite WR in this draft and, like you said, fits the mold for exactly what our offense is missing right now. I'm just hoping the depth in this draft pushes him down to our pick.

I'm ready to get hurt again...

On 4/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, NorthernColt said:

If you go through the check list of what Ballard likes in a WR, you would have to assume he's probably INLOVE with Christian Watson. IMO probably one of the highest upsides in the draft. 6'5 with length and ran a 4.28 unofficially. Thats insane speed at his size. You can argue that he comes from a small school so that knocks him down a bit, but he absolutely tore up the senior bowl and consistently beat high end DB's throughout. Plus ND is all about the run game, so he blocks very well for a WR, something we know our FO values highly. As well as been on ST. If he's there some how at our picked, I'll be shocked if we pass on him.

This is my exact feeling. He is the most Ballard guy I’ve seen this year. If he can improve his hands, I don’t see how he’s not the best WR out of this draft. You can’t teach that size and that speed. I have him as my #4 WR, and I don’t see him being there when we pick. The more tape I watch, the more I like him.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:47 AM, jonjon said:

Watson doesn't have reliable hands and no way Dotson is still there (if by some miracle he is and we pass, I will personally drive to Indy to slap Ballard in the face). Pickens is a head case, no thank you. I don't know guys, I'd love a WR in the 2d, but more and more I'm wondering if there's one worth our pick. Maybe the best OL or a top TE is the move.

I agree Dotson won't be there.  I think Watson's hands will be just fine.  Pierce seems like a likely candidate as well with Skyy Moore too.

I see alot of posts for Dotson. I liked him alot during the season, his film is good. Although my only hang up on him was when he tested. His 40 was slower than many thought, although he's not slow. But his 3cone was more bothersome to me. He also measured smaller than many anticipated too. Short arms too. But love the character and they tape. Glad I don't have to make the pick lol.

If he makes it to 42, this would be my guy after seeing the others off the board about 1/2 way through the 1st rd.

Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati  
Height: 6-3. Weight: 211. Arm: 33. Hand: 9.
Official 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2022): 2-3

check out his profile on Walter football. 

Archived