Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Case for David Bell and Jalen Tolbert

Good morning everyone in Colts land,

The best two WR's in this years class that have gone most of the way unnoticed are David Bell and Jalen Tolbert. 

David Bell, was a super athletic WR in high school led both his football team and his basketball teams to state titles, winning both as MVP. At Purdue he did not disappoint either, the main reason he is not No. 1 this year is because of his decision to attend Purdue. If he were to have gone to Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Miss St. Ole Miss, etc. he would have been higher ranked. He had an outstanding year this past year. Was one of the top in receiving yards with a mediocre QB under center. He was the No. 1 WR in the country the year entering his freshman year. Look up the facts! 

Fellow native to Indiana and one of the top WR's in this years class.

Jalen Tolbert, from South Alabama. Another top if not really Top 3 WR's entering the draft this year. This kid was lights out amazing this year. Topping yards on the year finishing in Top 3, led most of the year in this stat. Also, had a mediocre QB under center and if would have attended a better school, he too would be in the Top 3 guaranteed. I've seen this kid firsthand overcome many challenges and has led his team to victories singlehandedly. If he were to have played at Alabama he and Jameson Williams would have been in any order WR 1 and WR 2. Jameson Williams is still a clear better option than Tolbert but what Tolbert has done is amazing. Broke records at USA. 

My first option if still on the board would be a no brainer in Jameson Williams, but David Bell and Jalen Tolbert are monumentally great additions and would fill in any void there has been at WR. Paris Campbell and TY Hilton are no longer in my opinion as good as they either were or were expected to be. Either or both of these kids would immediately put the Colts back in a strong competitive position in the entire NFL with Matt Ryan under center. Matt is known for throwing to speedster Julio Jones who was a nightmare to defend. I strongly believe these two will be similar to Jamarr Chase and Justin Jefferson in their ability to play, get open and score TDs. 

The other need here is TE. Most are fixed on Mo Allie Cox but I'm not sold on him. The Colts to compliment their receiving WR's need a good reliable TE. Mo Allie Cox has done "okay" but is nothing that is really standing out to lead the position. 

Anyways, consider these two WR's in this years draft as I'm sure at least one will be available upon the Colts first couple of picks. Jameson will go early and will not likely be available. 

Jalen Tolbert tested real well and runs routes just as good as Bell. David Bell, his 40 time just cannot be ignored. You can run routes in a terrific manner but not everyone is a Cooper Kupp to get open consistently by reading Ds, despite a pedestrian 40 speed. It is too much of a chance to take unless Bell falls to the end of the 3rd for our second 3rd round pick. Ironically, that is where Cooper Kupp fell too, to the 3rd round. No earlier than that with David Bell.

My top WRs for Ryan with their route running that could be available, in order are Dotson and Tolbert.

Colts need deep speed and Bell just isn't that player.  Hw would make a great X, but we have Pittman, and a couple behind him already.

Between the two, Tolbert is the better fit for our needs at the moment.  Based upon mocks that I've seen, easily there at 42 or even after a trade down.  Lasting until pick 73 is a stretch, but I've seen some mocks have him taken just before.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Colts need deep speed and Bell just isn't that player.  Hw would make a great X, but we have Pittman, and a couple behind him already.

Between the two, Tolbert is the better fit for our needs at the moment.  Based upon mocks that I've seen, easily there at 42 or even after a trade down.  Lasting until pick 73 is a stretch, but I've seen some mocks have him taken just before.

You can also get open deep with elite route running. Antonio Brown is a 4.5 guy, but he always stretched teams vertically because of how amazing his routes were. Don’t disagree that we could use some speed, but speed doesn’t always equate to being able to get open deep.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:20 AM, chad72 said:

Jalen Tolbert tested real well and runs routes just as good as Bell. David Bell, his 40 time just cannot be ignored. You can run routes in a terrific manner but not everyone is a Cooper Kupp to get open consistently by reading Ds, despite a pedestrian 40 speed. It is too much of a chance to take unless Bell falls to the end of the 3rd for our second 3rd round pick. Ironically, that is where Cooper Kupp fell too, to the 3rd round. No earlier than that with David Bell.

My top WRs for Ryan with their route running that could be available, in order are Dotson and Tolbert.

Our second 3rd round pick?   

We traded that pick to Atlanta for Matt Ryan. 

Bell is another PIttman. Good WR overall, if we got him in the 3d I'd have no complaints, but we need speed. Tolbert is faster but he has a history of drops. 

How about we trade our 1st rounder next year for a 1st rounder this year and get one of the top-tier WRs ;) 

9 hours ago, jonjon said:

How about we trade our 1st rounder next year for a 1st rounder this year and get one of the top-tier WRs ;) 

I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, (and your comment may be joking)

but IMHO,  we need to protect next years 1st round pick, at all costs

If Ryan were to get hurt this year, and we have a bad record, we could be getting a shot at taking our 12-15 year elite  QB

in next years draft

If we fell in love with a top WR, we actually have the draft capitol to move into late round if someone slid, without touching next years first round pick

However. I get the sense that CB will actually trade back from 42 vs trade up 

There are some really good WRs that will fall all through the 2nd round

I was semi kidding but it's not such a bad idea IMO. With Ryan we are in win-now mode. We are likely a playoff caliber team IMO right now, but not a SB team. A stud WR could put us over the top, as it did with Cincy. There is a marked difference between the top WRs this year and the second tier, and that's assuming we even draft a WR in the 2d, which is dicey at best. We will only get so far with the WRs we have. 

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

I was semi kidding but it's not such a bad idea IMO. With Ryan we are in win-now mode. We are likely a playoff caliber team IMO right now, but not a SB team. A stud WR could put us over the top, as it did with Cincy. There is a marked difference between the top WRs this year and the second tier, and that's assuming we even draft a WR in the 2d, which is dicey at best. We will only get so far with the WRs we have. 

There's stud receivers in this class through Round 3, I don't see anyone in the first having the impact Chase had

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

There's stud receivers in this class through Round 3, I don't see anyone in the first having the impact Chase had

Agree to disagree. There are serviceable WRs but not anyone likely to become a legit #1. And a WR doesn't have to have a record-setting season to be worth a #1 pick. I'm not saying we should do this, just that it's a viable move.

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

Agree to disagree. There are serviceable WRs but not anyone likely to become a legit #1. And a WR doesn't have to have a record-setting season to be worth a #1 pick. I'm not saying we should do this, just that it's a viable move.

London, Olave, Pickens, Tolbert, Bell, Roberson, Thornton, Dotson, Metchie, Austin, Moore, Ross, Robinson, Shakir, Philips, Jones Jr, Melton, Pierce....

It's a very deep class and receivers have delivered extremely well outside of R1 for a few years

19 hours ago, jonjon said:

You're delusional if you think half of those guys (at least) will last to round 3. 

So you think those 18 guys plus all the first round names I didn't add are going to get drafted by before Round 3?

You just proved my point that the class is deep

"All" the first round names? I only see one or two, maybe three missing. 

You're right that the class is deep, we can get a good WR for sure, I just doubt it will be a go-to #1 WR guy. Of course with Pittman, maybe he doesn't have to be...we just need someone that compliments him well, presumably someone faster with more deep ball potential. 

But I will still be surprised if Ballard drafts one, making this all moot. I think it will probably be someone for the secondary.

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

"All" the first round names? I only see one or two, maybe three missing. 

You're right that the class is deep, we can get a good WR for sure, I just doubt it will be a go-to #1 WR guy. Of course with Pittman, maybe he doesn't have to be...we just need someone that compliments him well, presumably someone faster with more deep ball potential. 

But I will still be surprised if Ballard drafts one, making this all moot. I think it will probably be someone for the secondary.

Don’t be surprised if Ballard drafts a TE before a receiver too. If you look at round 3, it’s very likely that the TEs on the board may be better than the next best WR.

A lot of buzz about the Colts liking Bo Melton. In my draft prospect research, he checks the Ballard boxes as a guy with a high RAS at 9.21, was a Senior Bowl Player, and was also a team captain. Morroco Brown was at his pro day

On 4/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Don’t be surprised if Ballard drafts a TE before a receiver too. If you look at round 3, it’s very likely that the TEs on the board may be better than the next best WR.

Tre Mcbride /Cade Otton.  Otton looks really good to me. 

On 4/1/2022 at 1:49 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Was there a chance David Bell was injured?

He seems faster than his timed speed

When you watch his 40 from the combine, he stands straight up out of his start.  I used to run track and you want to drive forward out of the blocks and then slowly bring your torso and head up as you accelerate.

Bell’s head and torso come up immediately as he starts his 40.  That just kills your acceleration. If he worked on his starts with some track coaches, he’d easily knock a tenth off of his 40 time just with a better start.

I’d bring him in and let Reggie work with him.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see him ascend to the head of the receiver room with some tutelage from Reggie.  If we could get Bell in the 3rd, our receiver room would be better for it.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

As much as I want a fast, twitchy, athletic Z wide receiver — and I really REALLY do…. If we take McBride at 42, I’d be good with that.  

We could find a good Z at 73. 

I’m seeing Otton mostly mocked in Rs 3 & 4. 

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I haven’t watched Otton yet. I’ll put it on my to do list. Has he tested yet? Think he got injured late in the season and didn’t work out at the combine.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As much as I want a fast, twitchy, athletic Z wide receiver — and I really REALLY do…. If we take McBride at 42, I’d be good with that.  

I’m seeing Cotton mostly mocked in Rs 3 & 4. 

If Campbell stays healthy, could he play the Z?  I could see him breaking out and being Ryan’s Calvin Ridley.  Ridley put up crazy numbers with Ryan.  Campbell’s first game with Rivers was like 6 catches for 85 yards.  Maybe he’d get similar targets & production with Ryan?

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Campbell stays healthy, could he play the Z?  I could see him breaking out and being Ryan’s Calvin Ridley.  Ridley put up crazy numbers with Ryan.  Campbell’s first game with Rivers was like 6 catches for 85 yards.  Maybe he’d get similar targets & production with Ryan?

Yes!   Campbell can definitely be our Z.   The only real question is….  Can he stay healthy?   Sure feels like the Football Gods could cut the kid a little slack.   Give him a year of good health.   Coming out of college he was a freak athlete.   He just needs a chance. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id say between 2 and 3 is my hunch for Otton. Kinda reminds me of Gronk.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes!   Campbell can definitely be our Z.   The only real question is….  Can he stay healthy?   Sure feels like the Football Gods could cut the kid a little slack.   Give him a year of good health.   Coming out of college he was a freak athlete.   He just needs a chance. 

Let’s hope they allow him a year or two to at least get a contract. I have huge hopes for him that’s for sure. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NFL.com has Otton ranked slightly higher than Mcbride as far as their prospect grades but I like both of them.  I probably now am going to lean a little more towards Mcbride though because I didn't know he ran a 4.5.  Otton only runs around 4.8 or so.but he's good with the routes like Jack Doyle.   It's interesting NFL.com has Mcbride being similar to Austin Hooper as a comp.  Matt Ryans former tight end. 

The other two TE I've liked so far but not necessarily for round 2 are Isaiah Likely and Jeremy Ruckert from Ohio State. Ruckert reminds me the most of Jack Doye.  Likely seems to be really athletic and fast but I was shocked to see his 40 time was only 4.8.  The explosion I saw in some of his runs after catch you couldnt tell me he was only a 4.8 guy. My hunch is he's a good bit faster than that. 

On 4/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of buzz about the Colts liking Bo Melton. In my draft prospect research, he checks the Ballard boxes as a guy with a high RAS at 9.21, was a Senior Bowl Player, and was also a team captain. Morroco Brown was at his pro day

There should be some excellent WRs candidates all through round 2... and I see them possibly double dipping as well

I could very well see CB moving back 6-9 spots to pick up more draft capitol

Jalen Tolbert and maybe Pickett should still be on the board. Both would be an immediate starter on this team

I really like Tolbert as he has great size, seems to have good speed,  and has great hands

In the 3rd, WanDale Robinson may also be there.... He is that get open guy from the slot that this team needs

In the 4th, I would get a TE

After that I, I would fill best available LT, CB, FS, G, DL to finish the draft

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

The other two TE I've liked so far but not necessarily for round 2 are Isaiah Likely and Jeremy Ruckert from Ohio State.

Ruckert reminds me the most of Jack Doye.  Likely seems to be really athletic and fast but I was shocked to see his 40 time

was only 4.8.  The explosion I saw in some of his runs after catch you couldnt tell me he was only a 4.8 guy. My hunch is he's

a good bit faster than that. 

The good thing about Ruckert is that he actually can block as well as catch..... he catches everything.... he was just stuck on a crazy good, high octane OSU offense that had so many uber talented WRs 

He would be an awesome Jack Doyle replacement on this team

And... Since he went to the GREATEST College in the Universe....  THE Ohio State.....  You know that he is intelligent  :)

Its rare to get 3 immediate starters in a draft

But Tolbert, Wandale, and Ruckert, could all start day one

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The good thing about Ruckert is that he actually can block as well as catch..... he catches everything.... he was just stuck on a crazy good, high octane OSU offense that had so many uber talented WRs 

He would be an awesome Jack Doyle replacement on this team

And... Since he went to the GREATEST College in the Universe....  THE Ohio State.....  You know that he is intelligent  :)

Every bit of him reminds me of a bigger Jack Doyle and I'm not relaying that as a bad thing.  It's almost like he;s Jack Doyles brother or something. LOL!  I wouldn't complain about the pick if we got him.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Every bit of him reminds me of a bigger Jack Doyle and I'm not relaying that as a bad thing.  It's almost like he;s Jack Doyles brother or something. LOL!

They are actually nearly the same in size and 40 time

I think he may be a bit more dynamic than Doyle

We will see how it works out

I get the sense that MAC may have one more year..... Granson seems to be Hback or slot vs Inline that is needed to block

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

They are actually nearly the same in size and 40 time

I think he may be a bit more dynamic than Doyle

We will see how it works out

I get the sense that MAC may have one more year..... Granson seems to be Hback or slot vs Inline that is needed to block

I would agree with the Dynamic part

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The only real question is......

How long are his arms?! 

I think you are joking but according to records

Doyle hand size is 9 1/4

Doyle Arm length is 32 1/8

Ruckert hand size is 10 1/8

Ruckert arm length is 32 5/8

Ruckert is a prospect (like Doyle) that blocks very well , and is valuable on the passing side

THAT player is not on our roster today MAC looks clunky going out for passes

Granson isnt a factor in blocking

Ruckert played on a pro style offense and could contribute day 1

I dont remember Ruckert dropping any ball that was close

Archived