Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR - WR - TE in draft?


Recommended Posts

Many options here

 

2nd round pick - Needed outside WR

George Pickens or C Watson  

 

3rd round pick  - Needed Slot WR

Sky Moore or Metchie

 

4th Round Pick - Needed Pass catching TE

Ruckert or Likely

 

I would be very happy with any of these 3 picks...... they all seem in line where we will be drafting

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a bit excessive I think. At that point you’re drafting purely off of need. Remember we also have holes at CB, LT, and safety. Receiving weapons are the top priority, but not to the point where we need to throw 3 straight picks at it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s a bit excessive I think. At that point you’re drafting purely off of need. Remember we also have holes at CB, LT, and safety. Receiving weapons are the top priority, but not to the point where we need to throw 3 straight picks at it.

Maybe

 

But we have 3 actual holes, and one dependable WR

 

We need 

 

Outside receiver

 

Slot Receiver

 

TE

 

Why not load up ?

 

We appear to have the QB and DE hole filled as well as Pryor is the new LT

 

We do need depth now at Tackle which could come later in this draft as we have two 5th round picks

 

I would also pick up a CB in the 5th

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I want us to load up at WR, there is zero chance of this happening. In fact I will be surprised if Ballard drafts a WR with that 2d round pick. Depends how players fall, but I suspect I will be a CB or S. He seems to think he's all set on the OL and WR. 

 

lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Many options here

 

2nd round pick - Needed outside WR

George Pickens or C Watson  

 

3rd round pick  - Needed Slot WR

Sky Moore or Metchie

 

4th Round Pick - Needed Pass catching TE

Ruckert or Likely

 

I would be very happy with any of these 3 picks...... they all seem in line where we will be drafting

 

I would be good with that but I doubt Ballard will do it. He seems to like his WR room more than any of us does. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

 

But we have 3 actual holes, and one dependable WR

 

We need 

 

Outside receiver

 

Slot Receiver

 

TE

 

Why not load up ?

 

We appear to have the QB and DE hole filled as well as Pryor is the new LT

 

We do need depth now at Tackle which could come later in this draft as we have two 5th round picks

 

I would also pick up a CB in the 5th

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s just a poor use of resources IMO and at that point are you passing up better players at other positions. Also remember not every rookie is a star right away. You can probably get a starter at WR in rounds 2-3 but it would be kind of unrealistic to come in and expect big production in the passing game out of 3 players. I’m all for drafting 2 wide outs and a TE but not in that order. I’d rather see something like this 

 

Round 2: CB/SAF/OT

Round 3: WR

Round 4: TE

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jonjon said:

As much as I want us to load up at WR, there is zero chance of this happening. In fact I will be surprised if Ballard drafts a WR with that 2d round pick. Depends how players fall, but I suspect I will be a CB or S. He seems to think he's all set on the OL and WR. 

 

lol. 

It could well happen that way

 

However..... the WR spot is very much lacking on our team

 

The fact that they let Pascal walk, and didnt address the hole in FA, makes me think that they are looking to the draft 

 

I think that CB is a man of habit

in 2020......They needed a DE........  They drafted 2

in 2018.......They needed OL..........  They drafted 2

 

THATS why I think that he MAY double dip at WR

 

We really have TWO open spots at WR

 

Slot and outside.... TWO different players

 

We also need a TE that can play inline AND catch the ball......  

 

We will soon see

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s just a poor use of resources IMO and at that point are you passing up better players at other positions. Also remember not every rookie is a star right away. You can probably get a starter at WR in rounds 2-3 but it would be kind of unrealistic to come in and expect big production in the passing game out of 3 players. I’m all for drafting 2 wide outs and a TE but not in that order. I’d rather see something like this 

 

Round 2: CB/SAF/OT

Round 3: WR

Round 4: TE

Maybe

 

This draft is very good at WR......  The BPA in rounds 2 and 3, could very well be WR 

 

Now.... If someone like Bernhard slides near us......  I would be tempted to go OT (with a slight trade up)

 

CB seems pretty happy with Pryor

 

 

Again.... I could be wrong here

 

 

I am wrong all the time..... ASK MY WIFE  :)

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ouch....  I hope not  :)

 

He sticks to his board. He has precedence doing that. If the draft shakes out where a receiver doesnt drop within range, dont be surprised to see him pick LB, QB, T, G. The draft has to shake out right.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't draft a WR early the whole forum will pull a Homie and do this Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

The forum will live, and learn to love it.

If it survived last year....it'll survive WR. Last year folks were so convinced that in a tackle-rich class, Chris Ballard would pick up one or maybe even two guys. Lets show a capacity to learn from the past lol.

 

The man has already said he thinks our WR room is okay, though he walked back that statement. He's now got a QB who can elevate WRs instead of one who needs to be carried. Just leaving it out there. Don't be surprised if a wideout isnt picked till late. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

The forum will live, and learn to love it.

If it survived last year....it'll survive WR. Last year folks were so convinced that in a tackle-rich class, Chris Ballard would pick up one or maybe even two guys. Lets show a capacity to learn from the past lol.

 

The man has already said he thinks our WR room is okay, though he walked back that statement. He's now got a QB who can elevate WRs instead of one who needs to be carried. Just leaving it out there. Don't be surprised if a wideout isnt picked till late. 

I would laugh if we went LB in round 2 Happy The Rock GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe

 

This draft is very good at WR......  The BPA in rounds 2 and 3, could very well be WR 

 

Now.... If someone like Bernhard slides near us......  I would be tempted to go OT (with a slight trade up)

 

CB seems pretty happy with Pryor

 

 

Again.... I could be wrong here

 

 

I am wrong all the time..... ASK MY WIFE  :)

 

 

 

 

The BPA may be WR, but I'm going to tell you this now. If we hypothetically don't sign any FA's before the draft and don't make any more trades, we're just going to be drafting for need. Ballard will call it "BPA" in his press conference, but it'll just be filling needs in a "BPA" sort of way where he fills the needs in an order that where the earliest BPA that fills a need is on his list, he'll take that player and work around it. It doesn't have to be a WR or TE, it could be a S and CB in rounds two or three and a WR and TE after.

 

He'll draft for need and call it BPA, but it'll be in a way that seems like BPA because he's drafting the best available need.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would laugh if we went LB in round 2 Happy The Rock GIF

There were not too dissimilar comments before we picked JT. Just saying, fans and the GM don't exactly operate with the same mindset. You might find yourself choking on laughter haha.

If someone like Nakobe Dean drops to 42, Ballard is probably pulling the trigger.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

There were not too dissimilar comments before we picked JT. Just saying, fans and the GM don't exactly operate with the same mindset. You might find yourself choking on laughter haha.

If someone like Nakobe Dean drops to 42, Ballard is probably pulling the trigger.

Ballard is like that, when he drafted Darius, we were like who is that?? :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard is like that, when he drafted Darius, we were like who is that?? :thmup:

Yup. Many GMs follow the draft protocol i.e. draftability. A few of them draft strictly on talent, easy to guess which bucket Chris falls in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The BPA may be WR, but I'm going to tell you this now. If we hypothetically don't sign any FA's before the draft and don't make any more trades, we're just going to be drafting for need. Ballard will call it "BPA" in his press conference, but it'll just be filling needs in a "BPA" sort of way where he fills the needs in an order that where the earliest BPA that fills a need is on his list, he'll take that player and work around it. It doesn't have to be a WR or TE, it could be a S and CB in rounds two or three and a WR and TE after.

 

He'll draft for need and call it BPA, but it'll be in a way that seems like BPA because he's drafting the best available need.

I get that.... but IMHO this draft is loaded with WR that actually COULD BE BPA

 

We could see 10-12 WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds 

 

If the BPA is RT, QB, LG, LB, DE, RB, C, DT at 42......  Unless one of the top 15 slid , do you think that they would go that way?

 

I dont..... But again.....  I dont have any inside info

 

If a WR is CLOSE to being BPA...... I bet they go that way

 

We will see

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I get that.... but IMHO this draft is loaded with WR that actually COULD BE BPA

 

We could see 10-12 WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds 

 

If the BPA is RT, QB, LG, LB, DE, RB, C, DT at 42......  Unless one of the top 15 slid , do you think that they would go that way?

 

I dont..... But again.....  I dont have any inside info

 

If a WR is CLOSE to being BPA...... I bet they go that way

 

We will see

In that case, with your options, I believe we'd go either QB, DE, or RB. Ballard could sell the QB as we are grooming Matt Ryan's successor and we were fortunate to have QBX fall to us. The DE he'd explain we want to be 8 deep at EDGE and this guy was a rare athlete that fell to 42. Finally, with the RB, he could explain that Jonathan Taylor got too many carries last year, and we need a Marlon Mack replacement to take the pressure off of Taylor and this RB was the best in the class to do so.

 

The others I don't believe he'd take that early, but there are just too many possibilities at enough other positions where I believe he doesn't have to worry about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see one WR and zero TEs in this draft.  Unless we get a lot more done in FA than I anticipate in the next few weeks, I see some other more important areas to address in the draft.  I do think WR in the 2nd is the most likely pick, though.  At this point, I’m thinking slot receivers are becoming easy to find.  Heck we’ve got a good one in Parris, who could conceivably play more than five games next year.  So, getting a more premium complement to MPJ on the outside might be the best thing we could do for the corps.  I’m starting to love that Christian Watson.  
 

As for TE, we have our move guy in Granson, and I don’t expect that to be a draft priority at all.  It’ll be up to our OC (who wasn’t too impressive IMO in his first year) to work Granson and MAC into the offense…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I see one WR and zero TEs in this draft.  Unless we get a lot more done in FA than I anticipate in the next few weeks, I see some other more important areas to address in the draft.  I do think WR in the 2nd is the most likely pick, though.  At this point, I’m thinking slot receivers are becoming easy to find.  Heck we’ve got a good one in Parris, who could conceivably play more than five games next year.  So, getting a more premium complement to MPJ on the outside might be the best thing we could do for the corps.  I’m starting to love that Christian Watson.  
 

As for TE, we have our move guy in Granson, and I don’t expect that to be a draft priority at all.  It’ll be up to our OC (who wasn’t too impressive IMO in his first year) to work Granson and MAC into the offense…

Respectfully.... I think you almost HAVE to get a TE in this years draft

 

I know I am a HUGE OHIO STATE fan and it gives me a rose colored (maybe scarlet :) ) tint

but this team could very much use Ruckert at TE (or someone else with similar skills)

 

He can do both

 

MAC is "clunky" at best going out for a pass......  He also didnt do a great job on run blocking this year - IMHO

 

Ruckert has amazing hands, and can block.... a Faster and more athletic "Doyle" type

 

Lastly Granson has a place, but can you imagine him taking over a game like the top 15 TEs in the league regularly do?

 

I dont see it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orioles22 said:

I expect the Colts will draft a corner in the second round, then another near the end of the draft. I think Ballard will get a receiver in the third round.

Maybe, this year, I was thinking that they may go later to get a CB..... (I do think we will draft one)

 

But I could be wrong

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I have no idea what the braintrust of this team is doing or thinking... are they really going to go into next season with this WR room? Are they sending smoke screens for the draft or what? I just cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone can watch this team and think we have anything close to adequate WR corps. "Behind Pittman, he named "Strachan, Patmon, Campbell, Dulin and even Coutee"... you gotta be kidding me... Patmon has 2 caught balls for 2 seasons and 21 yards, Strachan has 2 caught balls for 26 yards, Campbell has 360 yards in 3 seasons, Dulin has 243 in 3 seasons, Coutee had 1 reception for 5 yards last year. What the hell is that? :grumpy2: I am getting * off to be honest. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Many options here

 

2nd round pick - Needed outside WR

George Pickens or C Watson  

 

3rd round pick  - Needed Slot WR

Sky Moore or Metchie

 

4th Round Pick - Needed Pass catching TE

Ruckert or Likely

 

I would be very happy with any of these 3 picks...... they all seem in line where we will be drafting

 

 


I don’t think we’d go that far.   Especially not after Frank's very public comments today about liking our young wide receivers.   
 

Im also not sure some of the guys you like (I like them too!) will be available when we pick. 

 

Not sure Watson will be there at pick 42.   And you have Moore as a candidate for R3, and nit only don’t I think Moore will be there at 73, I’m not sure he’ll be there at 42 either.  Both PFF, and McShay have him as a top 40 player.    I’d love to get Moore or Watson at 42. 
 

I do think we go TE at R4, and I think Ruckert is a candidate.  But I think Likely goes long before that, maybe even in R3. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

I have no idea what the braintrust of this team is doing or thinking... are they really going to go into next season with this WR room? Are they sending smoke screens for the draft or what? I just cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone can watch this team and think we have anything close to adequate WR corps. "Behind Pittman, he named "Strachan, Patmon, Campbell, Dulin and even Coutee"... you gotta be kidding me... Patmon has 2 caught balls for 2 seasons and 21 yards, Strachan has 2 caught balls for 26 yards, Campbell has 360 yards in 3 seasons, Dulin has 243 in 3 seasons, Coutee had 1 reception for 5 yards last year. What the hell is that? :grumpy2: I am getting * off to be honest. 


We will draft a WR on Day 2.   Just keep saying it over and over and over again.  And I’ll be saying it with you.   We’re going to speak it into existence!   We’re going to make it happen!
 

The Colts are going to draft a WR on Day 2!!
 

Personally, I want it to be with pick 42.   
 

This WILL happen!   Believe!!   :thmup:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:


We will draft a WR on Day 2.   Just keep saying it over and over and over again.  And I’ll be saying it with you.   We’re going to speak it into existence!   We’re going to make it happen!
 

The Colts are going to draft a WR on Day 2!!
 

Personally, I want it to be with pick 42.   
 

This WILL happen!   Believe!!   :thmup:

I would agree with this...... I HOPE that we dont go into the season with our current WRs .... Yikes 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully.... I think you almost HAVE to get a TE in this years draft

 

I don’t know, Man.  The needs I’d put higher than TE include 1) A dynamic WR, 2) a DT - only notable returnees are Buckner and Grover, and Ballard wants 8 starter-quality DLs, 3) CB - need a young outside guy whether we sign another starter or not, 4) OT - we’ve got Pryor and ??? as possibilities, 5) maybe even Safety, though I like Ballard’s ability to find FAs at that position.  After all that, will anyone we draft add anything that Farrod Green (two years on the PS) or Eli Wolf can’t to the #3 TE spot?  Seems like a half measure - better to wait until next year and address it with a Day 2 pick IMO.  Guess we’ll see how Ballard sees it…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


We will draft a WR on Day 2.   Just keep saying it over and over and over again.  And I’ll be saying it with you.   We’re going to speak it into existence!   We’re going to make it happen!
 

The Colts are going to draft a WR on Day 2!!
 

Personally, I want it to be with pick 42.   

I agree.  And not just any of the WR's that might be available when we pick at 42.  We need a true playmaker.  Not just a new face.  My money is on Dotson, but I have a feeling we would have to trade up from 42 to the 33-35 range to get him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


We will draft a WR on Day 2.   Just keep saying it over and over and over again.  And I’ll be saying it with you.   We’re going to speak it into existence!   We’re going to make it happen!
 

The Colts are going to draft a WR on Day 2!!
 

Personally, I want it to be with pick 42.   
 

This WILL happen!   Believe!!   :thmup:

I hope you are right. Or at least I hope they are not preparing the fanbase for no or very minimal reinforcements at WR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

I think that CB is a man of habit

in 2020......They needed a DE........  They drafted 2

in 2018.......They needed OL..........  They drafted 2

 

Not with all their top picks though. If he drafts two WRs, at least one will be a late-rounder.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree.  And not just any of the WR's that might be available when we pick at 42.  We need a true playmaker.  Not just a new face.  My money is on Dotson, but I have a feeling we would have to trade up from 42 to the 33-35 range to get him.


Dotson is my DREAM guy.  But I think he’s going R1.   Especially now with Green Bay trading Adams and KC trading Hill.   Hard to see those teams passing up WR’s.  
 

I also love Watson, Moore, Tolbert and Shakir.  Need to do more work on other WRs.  But this class is very, very strong for the third straight year.   Sure feels like it’s time to invest in a premium WR, and not a guy who will need 2-3 years to figure it out.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those talking about BPA, a good GM doesn't just draft BPA. It's a balance of BPA and need. I think the problem is Ballard's ego is getting in the way and he wants to prove his picks will pan out. ALL of them. Or as many as possible. But realistically we have almost nothing after Pittman. Campbell is more fragile than a s nowflake and the others are backup/project guys at best. What might be the play in the 2d if not WR would be one of the top TEs. The best TE in the draft is probably better than a second-tier WR. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

For those talking about BPA, a good GM doesn't just draft BPA. It's a balance of BPA and need. I think the problem is Ballard's ego is getting in the way and he wants to prove his picks will pan out. ALL of them. Or as many as possible. But realistically we have almost nothing after Pittman. Campbell is more fragile than a s nowflake and the others are backup/project guys at best. What might be the play in the 2d if not WR would be one of the top TEs. The best TE in the draft is probably better than a second-tier WR. 

It is BPA. A good GM doesnt stray from that list.

 

The question you want to ask is HOW the list is put together. What weights are given to certain attributes, certain positions, what cutoffs you have e.g. are you okay drafting multiple players at a certain position. However you draw that list up, if you have any sense, you stick to it. 

 

This talk of ego makes no sense. Your examples are easily debunked. Go look at his last class, tell me what happened with one of those guys. If Ballard has been anything, it's pragmatic. Why is he sticking with Campbell? Well....that's easy to answer. Parris Campbell has the potential to be the best WR out of Ohio State in the last decade (inc. Michael Thomas). That's the hype he was getting, and so a smart GM gives that person all the chances in the world until he is contractually at a crossroad. e.g. letting Malik Hooker go (another example of a man being ready to move on when time calls for it). This isnt some game on Xbox, financially, it'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face if you cut off Parris. The other guys you call backups are the same guys we've seen GOAT threads about on this forum. Suddenly Strachan isnt good enough. Players grow, players also can be a function of the QB.

 

Anyway, just for kicks and giggles, i'm curious what this forum will be like in April if Ballard doesnt draft a wideout. Maybe some folks will drop football all together :D 

 

Seriously though, your points need to be a bit more fair. 

 

**There're multiple TEs in this class who i like but Granson was drafted last year so it's not like CB ignored the position. 2ndly, if the best player on his board is a TE, that's who he's picking. It's an easy concept to understand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

It is BPA. A good GM doesnt stray from that list.

Of course he does. Only a fool would ignore team needs. For example: if the Browns are on the clock and the BPA is a QB (in the first few rounds at least), rest assured they will not draft him. And if the BPA is a kicker, it's near 100% certain he will not be drafted in the first few rounds by anyone. It all depends on the situation. If a team doesn't have a glaring need in any one spot, then they can afford to go BPA outright. Otherwise, it's a mix of BPA and team needs. 

 

Quote

The question you want to ask is HOW the list is put together. What weights are given to certain attributes, certain positions, what cutoffs you have e.g. are you okay drafting multiple players at a certain position. However you draw that list up, if you have any sense, you stick to it. 

ah OK it sounds like you have a different understanding of BPA. BPA literally means "Best Player Available" and that's it. It's not "this is the best player for us based on many things INCLUDING our team roster and needs, etc." That's why when talking about the draft, people talk about weighing BPA vs team needs. You hear it during every draft. For example, Kyle Hamilton is widely regarded as the BPA in this draft and one of the best safeties in a long time. But it's extremely unlikely he'll be #1 overall. or even #2 (although IMO that might be the right move for the Lions).

 

Quote

This talk of ego makes no sense. Your examples are easily debunked.

No they aren't, although I'm only saying it's possible, not a fact, at least at times. Evidence is easy enough to see: he's convinced he has guys he drafted that are highly capable starters despite little if any evidence to back that up and those who agree in quite the minority. They were backups for a reason. But they're "his guys" so he's going with it no matter what. Maybe not. But it's certainly possible. 

 

Quote

Why is he sticking with Campbell?

Thanks for another example and helping prove my point. The guy is a fragile china doll who hasn't done jack, but Ballard keep sticking with "his guy." Maybe he'll stay healthy and light it up, but I doubt you'll find many people who think that's a realistic expectation, and for obvious reasons.

 

Quote

This isnt some game on Xbox, financially, it'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face if you cut off Parris.

? Because?

 

Quote

The other guys you call backups are the same guys we've seen GOAT threads about on this forum.

?? Who's calling any of our backups a GOAT? GOAT for what? Being a backup? 

 

Quote

Anyway, just for kicks and giggles, i'm curious what this forum will be like in April if Ballard doesnt draft a wideout. Maybe some folks will drop football all together  

I won't go that far, but I will shake my head in disgust and be not at all surprised when our lack of a dynamic passing attack holds us back. 

 

Quote

Seriously though, your points need to be a bit more fair. 

I think they're fair. Accurate? Who knows; just some thoughts.

 

Quote

**There're multiple TEs in this class who i like but Granson was drafted last year so it's not like CB ignored the position. 2ndly, if the best player on his board is a TE, that's who he's picking. It's an easy concept to understand.

As I've said elsewhere, there are one or two TEs who would probably be a better pick than a second-tier WR, so while not optimal, we could do worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jonjon said:

  

Of course he does. Only a fool would ignore team needs. For example: if the Browns are on the clock and the BPA is a QB (in the first few rounds at least), rest assured they will not draft him. And if the BPA is a kicker, it's near 100% certain he will not be drafted in the first few rounds by anyone. It all depends on the situation. If a team doesn't have a glaring need in any one spot, then they can afford to go BPA outright. Otherwise, it's a mix of BPA and team needs. 

 

ah OK it sounds like you have a different understanding of BPA. BPA literally means "Best Player Available" and that's it. It's not "this is the best player for us based on many things INCLUDING our team roster and needs, etc." That's why when talking about the draft, people talk about weighing BPA vs team needs. You hear it during every draft. For example, Kyle Hamilton is widely regarded as the BPA in this draft and one of the best safeties in a long time. But it's extremely unlikely he'll be #1 overall. or even #2 (although IMO that might be the right move for the Lions).

 

No they aren't, although I'm only saying it's possible, not a fact, at least at times. Evidence is easy enough to see: he's convinced he has guys he drafted that are highly capable starters despite little if any evidence to back that up and those who agree in quite the minority. They were backups for a reason. But they're "his guys" so he's going with it no matter what. Maybe not. But it's certainly possible. 

 

Thanks for another example and helping prove my point. The guy is a fragile china doll who hasn't done jack, but Ballard keep sticking with "his guy." Maybe he'll stay healthy and light it up, but I doubt you'll find many people who think that's a realistic expectation, and for obvious reasons.

 

? Because?

 

?? Who's calling any of our backups a GOAT? GOAT for what? Being a backup? 

 

I won't go that far, but I will shake my head in disgust and be not at all surprised when our lack of a dynamic passing attack holds us back. 

 

I think they're fair. Accurate? Who knows; just some thoughts.

 

As I've said elsewhere, there are one or two TEs who would probably be a better pick than a second-tier WR, so while not optimal, we could do worse. 

I'll ask just one question.

 

Who decides who the best available player is? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I'll ask just one question.

 

Who decides who the best available player is? 


Tyically, it’s the General Manager with input from his assistants, scouts, and maybe even coaches.   The formula is different for every team. 
 

But some head coaches have more input because they’re successful and have roster control built in to their contract.    So, for all the good it did, former Raiders GM Mike Mayock determined their board.   But Jon Gruden made the final call over who was drafted.   He had the power.   I think it’s the same with Belichick.   He has the final say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...