Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan film: PA with Matt, Taylor and Hines could change the game.

Frenchy789

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

He would be with  similar  weapons 

He went 7-9 with prime Julio, Ridley, Sanu, Hooper and Coleman. Had 4800 yards and 35 TDs and 40% of his passing touchdowns came in the 4th qtr 

4 hours ago, runthepost said:

He went 7-9 with prime Julio, Ridley, Sanu, Hooper and Coleman. Had 4800 yards and 35 TDs and 40% of his passing touchdowns came in the 4th qtr 

That obviously had more a lot more to do with Dan Quinn and the defense than Matt Ryan.   The lions sucked with Stafford for years.    He wasn't the cause

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

He's more accurate  and has won more games

Stafford also  played for the Lions. Why compare? Ryan is probably more cerebral and Stafford has a cannon. Stafford may last longer due to his arm strength. I hope Ryan lasts another 4 years, but he could drop off a cliff if he loses anymore of his fast ball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

What's his name? He did a great job, I didn't know Ryan was so good at PA. 

We better use it! 

His name is literally in the post you quoted.    The first thing in the post you quoted 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

His name is literally in the post you quoted.    The first thing in the post you quoted 

Sorry, sarcasm has to be 100% when its in text form. I'll do better next time. 

On 3/25/2022 at 6:45 AM, life long said:

@Lawrence Owen pretty sure this video is from a poster here on this forum...

Great video! I subbed and appreciate any Colts anaylsis. Let's start grading Franks playcalling, like stated, Hines has been misused, he could be a slippery Jammal Charles in the Slot. Football is a young sport, lots of new positions (Belichick talkin about the history of long snappers was fantastic, as much as I wish the man coached baseball or literally anything else.) 

You're memorabilia/merch collection is very impressive, quite the man cave. 

On 3/24/2022 at 8:29 PM, UnrealFalcon said:

Matt is historically one of the best in playaction and vs pressure.

He's only had a 1000 year rusher about 5 times in his career and a top 10 defense twice. And those times he's taken the falcons to the playoffs

Ryan had no 1000 yard rusher in the last 5 seasons he played and only 2 1000 yard rushers in the past 10 years.  Considering 1000 yards rusher would only need to average 63 yards/game in a 16 games season or 59 yards/game in 17 games season, it's incredible how bad the Falcons have been at picking RB through the draft and FA.  Their OL were also terrible at run block.  I can't remember how many times they had to throw the ball on 3rd and short(1-3 yards) because they had no confident in picking up those couple yards for a 1st down.  That put a lot of pressure on Ryan to covert those 3rd downs over and over, but amazingly the Falcons have been in the top 10 on converting 3rd down 8 out of the last 10 years Ryan played, 11 out of 14 if you want to count Ryan full 14 seasons with them.  Of the 3 seasons they finished outside the top 10, 2 of them they ranked #11.  The worse they been was last year at #19.  It is the only time that they finished in the bottom half of the league on converting 3rd down under Ryan.   

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:17 AM, ruf said:

this is my great fear and plus didn't resign Reed for RG which i think is a mistake. and don't say we have Pinter or Fries because then we would have no backup C and the other is unproven

Here’s the deal on Reed….   He’s out there trying to land a starting job with some team.   I don’t think it will be the Colts as we have Pinter to play there, or Pryor if we add a LT. 

BUT…. 

If he doesn’t get offered a starting job elsewhere, I’d suspect we’d love to have him back as a backup.   So, we may still sign Reed in April, or even May after the draft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the deal on Reed….   He’s out there trying to land a starting job with some team.   I don’t think it will be the Colts as we have Pinter to play there, or Pryor if we add a LT. 

BUT…. 

If he doesn’t get offered a starting job elsewhere, I’d suspect we’d love to have him back as a backup.   So, we may still sign Reed in April, or even May after the draft. 

big mistake to wait on this

On 3/26/2022 at 6:19 PM, runthepost said:

As if Sanu and Hooper qualify for legit weapons...Sanu was 3rd WR at Cincy. Ryan really made him look good. As for Hooper, he can thank Ryan for his fat paycheck. Cleveland stint wasn't a success. Coleman was a backup to Freeman, hardly an all pro back.
Just remember, Ryan turned a Harry Douglass into 1000y WR one year.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 10:51 AM, CR91 said:

Hines was so misused last year, it wasn't even funny. I understand wanting to use Taylor, but with how much we struggled to find anyone else to help in the passing game other then Pitt Hines could have easily been used in the slot or in two RB sets.

Hines ought not be used to spell Taylor. Like you said, he should be used in 2 RB sets and as a slot receiver.  I really think Hines should be used in a receiver position, a LOT! He could maybe become a Tyreek Hill sort of weapon that has to be accounted for every play, opening things up more for the other receivers and even further for Taylor in the running game. 

Give Ryan time to throw while standing, and he will take you far in the playoffs. He never had that in Atlanta except for a couple of his 14 years here.  Good luck to Matt and the Colts.  I will be following. 

On 3/26/2022 at 2:06 AM, AustinnKaine said:

you think matt ryan is better than stafford?

Stafford's arm is a bit stronger, but Matt is better at reading defenses than most.  Matt can make all the throws necessary in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, QB Master said:

Stafford's arm is a bit stronger, but Matt is better at reading defenses than most.  Matt can make all the throws necessary in the NFL. 

im not saying either one is better, im just wondering if he really thinks matt ryan is better than stafford. want him to be clear. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Put Matt Ryan on last years Rams, it is very possible he wins it all.

I’d say Ryan is better than Stafford in both their primes.  The thing is Ryan is past his prime (although still good) while Stafford, while at the end of it, is still in his prime.  Is today’s Matt Ryan better than today’s Stafford?  I don’t know but I think it’s a lot closer than today’s Carson Wentz and today’s Stafford and that’s the important part.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d say Ryan is better than Stafford in both their primes.  The thing is Ryan is past his prime (although still good) while Stafford, while at the end of it, is still in his prime.  Is today’s Matt Ryan better than today’s Stafford?  I don’t know but I think it’s a lot closer than today’s Carson Wentz and today’s Stafford and that’s the important part.  

We are about to soon find out. We still need another wr that is consistently good.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Stafford has always been a gun slinger while Ryan is more of a precision timing passer. However, the Lions squads Stafford was on, Stafford threw plenty to his RBs and slot WRs, and the chemistry he has with Cooper Kupp is out of the charts which showed me that when he is paired with the right HC and WRs, there is plenty of his cerebral aspect that comes out. Stafford actually got spoiled with Megatron and those jump balls that it became a norm of his QB life where there will be 1 or 2 throws in a game where he will still throw it up for grabs. Happened in the 49ers game, they did not come down with it in the NFCCG, happened in the SB where Van Jefferson did not fight for it before the half and Bengals got the INT, and THAT is why they signed Allen Robinson for that red zone threat that Stafford likes.

Similarly, route runners will be hit in stride by Matt Ryan, so no more of those tall WRs going up for jump balls for throws from Wentz, we need to invest in excellent route runners over anything else for Matt Ryan. Even with Julio Jones, Matt led him vertically up the field or horizontally towards the sidelines squeezing every ounce of Julio's stretching abilities, Matt is not a jump ball thrower like Stafford can be at times. I for one, am glad we finally might have a QB that can go no huddle if we have a deficit. The last time we really did that was vs the Bengals with Rivers when we had to climb out of a deficit, and same vs Green Bay. Those games are always fun to watch when you know you have a vet who will get folks lined up right, and keep on executing, will be a BIG breath of fresh air following Wentz. :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Some media jocks are saying now the Colts are the team to bat in the AFC South. Fingers crossed.

We are Vegas odds favored as well. We have a 48% chance of winning the division, Titans are in at 47% - that close, Jags are at 4%, Houston 1%.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are Vegas odds favored as well. We have a 48% chance of winning the division, Titans are in at 47% - that close, Jags are at 4%, Houston 1%.

We are not done adding either.  If we could land Jarvis or Tyrann or Bradberry or Parker any of those would be big upgrades.  Hoping something breaks soon.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We are not done adding either.  If we could land Jarvis or Tyrann or Bradberry or Parker any of those would be big upgrades.  Hoping something breaks soon.

Just Matt Ryan alone put us ahead but barely on many betting websites. Everyone knows we were 9-6 last year at one time with Wentz at QB, so I can see why many of the experts favor us but it is split by most folks between us and the Titans.

19 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm not saying either one is better, im just wondering if he really thinks matt ryan is better than stafford. want him to be clear. 

OK, Ryan is better than Stafford, but Stafford has a better team around him than Ryan had with the Falcons.  He should be even better with the Colts.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

As  long time Ryan watcher, he is NOT past his Prime, you will soon see. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, depressedfalconsfan said:

As if Sanu and Hooper qualify for legit weapons...Sanu was 3rd WR at Cincy. Ryan really made him look good. As for Hooper, he can thank Ryan for his fat paycheck. Cleveland stint wasn't a success. Coleman was a backup to Freeman, hardly an all pro back.
Just remember, Ryan turned a Harry Douglass into 1000y WR one year.

Well said from a knowledgeable fan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Stafford has always been a gun slinger while Ryan is more of a precision timing passer. However, the Lions squads Stafford was on, Stafford threw plenty to his RBs and slot WRs, and the chemistry he has with Cooper Kupp is out of the charts which showed me that when he is paired with the right HC and WRs, there is plenty of his cerebral aspect that comes out. Stafford actually got spoiled with Megatron and those jump balls that it became a norm of his QB life where there will be 1 or 2 throws in a game where he will still throw it up for grabs. Happened in the 49ers game, they did not come down with it in the NFCCG, happened in the SB where Van Jefferson did not fight for it before the half and Bengals got the INT, and THAT is why they signed Allen Robinson for that red zone threat that Stafford likes.

Similarly, route runners will be hit in stride by Matt Ryan, so no more of those tall WRs going up for jump balls for throws from Wentz, we need to invest in excellent route runners over anything else for Matt Ryan. Even with Julio Jones, Matt led him vertically up the field or horizontally towards the sidelines squeezing every ounce of Julio's stretching abilities, Matt is not a jump ball thrower like Stafford can be at times. I for one, am glad we finally might have a QB that can go no huddle if we have a deficit. The last time we really did that was vs the Bengals with Rivers when we had to climb out of a deficit, and same vs Green Bay. Those games are always fun to watch when you know you have a vet who will get folks lined up right, and keep on executing, will be a BIG breath of fresh air following Wentz. :) 

Ryan LOVES the no huddle.  He is an excellent defense reader, and excellent at calling plays at he line.  You will love that aspect of his game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Personally, I would go with the Titans.  The Colts haven't won the division since 2014.  I do think that they can but they could also reich-up and lose some games they should win.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Personally, I would go with the Titans.  The Colts haven't won the division since 2014.  I do think that they can but they could also reich-up and lose some games they should win.  

If it was my own personal % on who wins the division. I would say:

Colts 45%

Titans 40%

Jags 14%

Texans 1%

=100% of the vote. I give the Texans a 1% chance like Vegas did because anything is possible. I think the Jags will be better than last year. To me, I am just sold on Matt Ryan and we lost 2 or 3 games last year because of QB play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is close. Basically a 2 team race. 

I agree but will not count out a run by the Jags.  Lawrence's sophomore year in the NFL and the team has the first pick in each round of the draft.  

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it was my own personal % on who wins the division. I would say:

Colts 45%

Titans 40%

Jags 14%

Texans 1%

=100% of the vote. I give the Texans a 1% chance like Vegas did because anything is possible. I think the Jags will be better than last year. To me, I am just sold on Matt Ryan and we lost 2 or 3 games last year because of QB play.

We also lost 2-3 games because of head coach play calling.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I agree but will not count out a run by the Jags.  Lawrence's sophomore year in the NFL and the team has the first pick in each round of the draft.  

Yep that is why I give the Jags around a 15% chance. I still think they are a year away though from being really good.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Frank didn't throw those INT's or miss those FG's. It works both ways. I think with Matt Ryan, Frank will be in better hands if he gambles.

Frank chose to run Taylor 16 times and pass 54 times.

Frank chose to go for it up 14-0 at midfield.  3rd and 3,  Incomplete pass, 4th at 3, incomplete pass.  2 downs to get 3 yards and he doesn't run Taylor.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Frank chose to run Taylor 16 times and pass 54 times.

Frank chose to go for it up 14-0 at midfield.  3rd and 3,  Incomplete pass, 4th at 3, incomplete pass.  2 downs to get 3 yards and he doesn't run Taylor.  

You choose to see the only times he has failed. How about the great games he called vs the Pats, at Arizona when were undermanned, and at Buffalo where he ran Taylor a ton. Most coaches are up and down. How do you think Belichick did against us or against Buffalo in their 47-10 playoff loss?

The thing about Belichick is, everyone will give him a pass because he has won 6 SB's. I don't, win one without Tom Brady than I will - it won't happen IMO. Gary Kubiak was an average coach ala Chuck before he got Peyton, he won a SB with Peyton, that defense was great but without Peyton they don't get by the Pats in 2015.

• Like 2