Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathieu Connected To Colts

20 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Ballard has good ties to KC. If he has issues outside of play, we won’t sign him. 

We could use his swag on the D to pair with Leonard & Moore’s. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

You think we can find capable guys for this year by drafting a LT, WR, 2 CB and OL depth...

Still having no definite TE....

That's a lot of instant starters to ask for from 7 picks, the highest of which is in the 40s.... 

I guess it wasn't as clear as I intended. Draft in order, WR, CB,TE, T, CB,WR, O-line/D-line best available.  FA sign 4, LT, FS, WR, LB.  All the draft picks don't need to be starters, 2-3 would be nice, FA's starters.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Mathieu overall graded out at 67.3 with a  Grade of 76.4 in coverage while Reid graded overall 50.8 with a significantly lower grade of 45.3 in coverage. What exactly about that matches the Honey Badgers performance last season? 

We'll have to see this season. I'm providing the rationale from the Chiefs side. Mathieu was the leader on the defense, he's all over the grocery stores here, he's active in the community etc, and that's all without even talking of his actual play. As far as actual play goes, again this is projecting potential, KC feel like the value/play equation tallies in favor of letting him walk. You have to remember that the teams play different schemes. Lovie Smith is a cover 2 guy and the things he asks of his safeties are different from the scheme tasks with Spagnuolo's defense. The last time Justin Reid played in a defense that wasnt cover 2, what were his grades? i.e. Under Romeo Crennel.

It's not just about what the PFF grade was, context is important. Was Reid asked to do things he's not good at? 

I can only speak from the KC perspective. The money is important. Teams find money to pay cornerstones. Mathieu wasnt that at this point. How much value would Honey Badger be as a FS in GB's scheme? What do you pay a piece like that? I'll say again, i doubt Ballard overpays for a player like this. 

We will see. Lets follow up on this midway through the season.

So is the dude a c2 type or a C3 type?  It doesn’t matter much what kind of run stopper Bradley FS is.  That is covered by the other 10 guys.  Some guys can do well at both, but this D needs  center fielder.

if you are going to sit in 3 all the time like Bradley apparently does, this is actually one of the most important positions on the D other than Edge.

Reading up in this guy I hope we get him.  His run defense has dropped off but his pass coverage is still good.  and the run defense from a deep C3 is a luxury.

he seems to have set his own number too high but he’s the kind of player this D needs.

here is a good older article on what a Bradley type safety does.  Notice how he’s nowhere near the LOs.  C3 is notorious for getting torched in deep alleys unless like everything else you get pressure and have a stud CF.  The FS is much more vital here than in other schemes.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/12/6/5176254/seahawks-earl-thomas-pete-carroll-nfl-saints

On 3/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, Colt.45 said:

Mathieu was average, lots of fan frustration from missed tackles and just getting burnt too many times.

Plus he played more SS in KC

Maybe he was average because he was playing SS. In our defense, he would be playing deep FS and would not be relied on to tackle much.  

FS - honey badger

SS- Blackmon

CB- Kenny Moore needs some help here.  Kenny made a name for himself as a top slot CB in the the league.  Let's get some solid outside CBs to let Kenny get back to playing in the slot.

On 3/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, Lifetime Colt said:

I guess it wasn't as clear as I intended. Draft in order, WR, CB,TE, T, CB,WR, O-line/D-line best available.  FA sign 4, LT, FS, WR, LB.  All the draft picks don't need to be starters, 2-3 would be nice, FA's starters.

Are you saying Ballard needs to go into the draft in this order for drafting?  

Posted this in the FA rumors thread too, but Honey Badger visiting the Saints.

Could start the process of him making a final decision.

I would love to have him but think he is a long shot here. He seems to want to get paid (cannot blame him) and if he is going to take a less than high dollar deal, i imagine he would do that to go home as opposed to here.

Archived