Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathieu Connected To Colts

Some talk that it's mostly the Colts and the Cowboys and he would decide this week. I just noticed they Cowboys re-signed Kearse to 2 years 10 million. Maybe this enhances the chances he's coming to Indy ?

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Mathieu?

There's a reason the Chiefs are not retaining him. Buy with care.

That's what I typed in and computer decided to change its to Matthew.

• Haha 1

• dw49 changed the title to Mathieu Connected To Colts
22 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Mathieu?

There's a reason the Chiefs are not retaining him. Buy with care.

Ballard has good ties to KC. If he has issues outside of play, we won’t sign him. 

We could use his swag on the D to pair with Leonard & Moore’s. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

He wants 18M minimum a year. That’s why he’s still available 

If that's the case , he will not have a horseshoe on the side of his noggin.

13 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Ballard has good ties to KC. If he has issues outside of play, we won’t sign him. 

The cap can be manipulated.  NO was in cap H until they restructured some contracts.  Now they’re like 6th in space according to Spotrac.  

IMO we need a LT more, but he’d be a great addition to GB’s D.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

The cap can be manipulated.  NO was in cap H until they restructured some contracts.  Now they’re like 6th in space according to Spotrac.  

IMO we need a LT more, but he’d be a great addition to GB’s D.  

Definitely need to prioritize LT.  Not even a question IMO.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

It's not his attitude i'm worried about. The dude is a LEADER. He had troubles in college but he has been a stellar pro. It's the playing ability that worries me. His effort last season was so-so, and he and Daniel Sorenson were eaten up time after time. KC had to move on.

I can see another situation like the Eric Fisher deal. i.e. Tyrann comes in and maybe is great at run stopping but stinks in the pass game. He has deficiencies. We'll watch the tape and do our due diligence but if i were the GM, i'd be careful signing him, and if i did, it's be at market value MAX, certainly wouldn't overpay for him. Maybe if he's paired with our safeties and defense, he plays better....KC's safety pair was really trash last year.

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Isn't that the case with every free agent?

Not always. Sometimes it's just the money games. Or you want to upgrade a position that was average. Or you're changing scheme.

Mathieu was poor. He and Jones and a few others on the team had squabbles with the fans last season, berated fans (rightly so) but part of that stemmed from Mathieu's play. He was poor, and the only reason it didnt stand out as the main story was because the offense struggled for a while, and Daniel Sorenson was diabolical. 

It's a watch out. Maybe he's good but i'm not super optimistic. More interested in what he'd bring as a leader honestly.

I’d personally be all in on this if possible and not financially irresponsible.

Say what you want about him but the dude has HEART in spades and would be a welcome addition to the locker room I believe.

I personally can’t hold a positive marijuana test in college against a man lol.

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

He wants 18M minimum a year. That’s why he’s still available 

Marcus Williams got about  $18 mil. With his 4 year 70 million contract. Maybe a 2 year $25 million contract might get it done? Mathieu is approaching 30 and hence the Chiefs chose to go with Justin Reid for youth.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Marcus Williams got about  $18 mil. With his 4 year 70 million contract. Maybe a 2 year $25 million contract might get it done? Mathieu is approaching 30 and hence the Chiefs chose to go with Justin Reid for youth.

He might not have much of an option. Teams are getting low on cap space & he wants to play for a contender

Someone had an interesting point on this page when they mentioned the Chiefs defense with their safeties and Sorenson. The Chief roster has holes also. Sorenson couldn't make this Colt roster and he gets PLENTY of playing time with the Chiefs. Truth is if the Bills hadn't played that completely pathetic defense in the final 13 seconds of their playoff game against the Chiefs a lot of Chief fans probably would have been screaming they have to blow up the roster and start over. A typical fans reaction I guess! Ballard is still way ahead of the game, all this negativity on here is ridiculous.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

It's not his attitude i'm worried about. The dude is a LEADER. He had troubles in college but he has been a stellar pro. It's the playing ability that worries me. His effort last season was so-so, and he and Daniel Sorenson were eaten up time after time. KC had to move on.

I can see another situation like the Eric Fisher deal. i.e. Tyrann comes in and maybe is great at run stopping but stinks in the pass game. He has deficiencies. We'll watch the tape and do our due diligence but if i were the GM, i'd be careful signing him, and if i did, it's be at market value MAX, certainly wouldn't overpay for him. Maybe if he's paired with our safeties and defense, he plays better....KC's safety pair was really trash last year.

Honey Badger actually played extremely well for KC last year he was one of their bright spots on defense. KC moved on to someone who was younger and cheaper as they have other guys they need to get ready to pay.

14 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Honey Badger actually played extremely well for KC last year he was one of their bright spots on defense. KC moved on to someone who was younger and cheaper as they have other guys they need to get ready to pay.

The Chiefs are my defacto 2nd team since i reside in their city. Mathieu was average, lots of fan frustration from missed tackles and just getting burnt too many times. Of course it doesnt help when your whole secondary is struggling.

Now, the big question is WHY did his play drop off over the last couple years. He is still capable of very good, locked in performances but at what cost. KC didnt move on just because he costs too much, no. They've moved on because the value he provides can be relatively matched by Justin Reid for much cheaper. If the Colts want to pay premium for a 30 year old, the odds that he lives up to that valuation will be small. We have the money but there are many positions of need and we can't afford to be foolish otherwise we'll be looking to fill the same role again soon. Plus he played more SS in KC and unless we plan on moving Blackmon to FS, that'd appear to be a more pressing need.

I like Honey Badger but unless he's taking a pay cut, i'd tow the Chiefs line on this and steer clear. If Ballard reads this well, he can probably have Mathieu at a discount...i just don't see teams being willing to pay that kind of $ to him.

45 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Honey Badger play style fits well to Gus system ( EThomas from Legion of Boom) BUT he is NOW he is a concussion concern. I don't see Ballard pulling that trigger. 

Has he had more concussions than just in the playoffs last year

18 hours ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Mathieu, Bobby Wagner, and defense is golden, with at least 1 wr draft or FA and 2 cb drafted.  Have to get a LT, or more OL depth, which will come from the draft.  Restructuring a few contacts and it is possible

You think we can find capable guys for this year by drafting a LT, WR, 2 CB and OL depth...

Still having no definite TE....

That's a lot of instant starters to ask for from 7 picks, the highest of which is in the 40s.... 

5 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The Chiefs are my defacto 2nd team since i reside in their city. Mathieu was average, lots of fan frustration from missed tackles and just getting burnt too many times. Of course it doesnt help when your whole secondary is struggling.

The Chiefs D unit was a lot better when Mathieu was on the field

11 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The Chiefs D unit was a lot better when Mathieu was on the field

True, but if you're the one eyed man in the land of the blind, does that make you desirable? 

11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

True, but if you're the one eyed man in the land of the blind, does that make you desirable? 

Chiefs Pass D with Mathieu on/off

Comp %: 64.4 - 75.0

Y/A: 7.1 - 8.0

TD/INT - 28/14 - 5/1

Passer Rating: 91.5 - 109.0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Now, the big question is WHY did his play drop off over the last couple years. He is still capable of very good, locked in performances but at what cost. KC didnt move on just because he costs too much, no. They've moved on because the value he provides can be relatively matched by Justin Reid for much cheaper. If the Colts want to pay premium for a 30 year old, the odds that he lives up to that valuation will be small. We have the money but there are many positions of need and we can't afford to be foolish otherwise we'll be looking to fill the same role again soon. Plus he played more SS in KC and unless we plan on moving Blackmon to FS, that'd appear to be a more pressing need.

I like Honey Badger but unless he's taking a pay cut, i'd tow the Chiefs line on this and steer clear. If Ballard reads this well, he can probably have Mathieu at a discount...i just don't see teams being willing to pay that kind of $ to him.

Mathieu overall graded out at 67.3 with a  Grade of 76.4 in coverage while Reid graded overall 50.8 with a significantly lower grade of 45.3 in coverage. What exactly about that matches the Honey Badgers performance last season?