Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts showing interest in Jameis Winston

Not sure what everyone thinks, but this would be my pick. Under Payton's tutelage, Winston through for 14 TD's and only 3 interceptions last year. I would think he would be able to do the same under Reich's tutelage. I also like the fact he is mobile, so we can use that in the running game to take pressure off JS.

I may be wrong, but the Colts seem to be waiting on Watson. Between the Saints and Falcons, we may be the ones who take the QB from the team who wins. Right now the NO is throwing everything to get Watson. They have cleared cap room, and he has met with the owner already. So it may be Winston or Ryan. Winston is younger and cheaper. Just my two cents.

Below is the small blurb about interest from Colts and Saints in Wintston. Of course this is just a rumor, but I do believe the Colts are waiting on the fallout.

https://nfltraderumors.co/jameis-winston-has-some-interest-from-saints-colts/

We could do MUCH worse than Winston

He isnt elite...... but 

At this point, with Wilson off the table.......  Who are we going to get thats better?

He is better at least this year than anyone in the draft

He is better than Mayfield (IMHO), and Mariota and Fitzpatrick

Understand this. Because of the cap space and glaring hole at QB, the Colts will be connected to every single QB. Reporters will tell you we talked to so and so, or that we had a deal in place for this guy, but another team made a better offer.

This isn’t news and I doubt the validity of it. It’s clear the Colts are looking for a bridge QB. All they’re doing is connecting dots. The last 3 teams with needs at QB are us, the Saints, and Panthers. Every day the narrative changes to a different QB. I would take everything with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Understand this. Because of the cap space and glaring hole at QB, the Colts will be connected to every single QB. Reporters will tell you we talked to so and so, or that we had a deal in place for this guy, but another team made a better offer.

This isn’t news and I doubt the validity of it. It’s clear the Colts are looking for a bridge QB. All they’re doing is connecting dots. The last 3 teams with needs at QB are us, the Saints, and Panthers. Every day the narrative changes to a different QB. I would take everything with a grain of salt.

The options at QB at this point are extremely limited

At this point no one is trading their elite QB, or QBs that are on the way to being elite - that removes at least 20-22  teams

But but but......  "We just need to find someone better !!"

LIKE WHO?  I am listening

At this point the Colts dont want the bottom teams QBs

Do we jump from one Carson type to another Carson type? (Like mayfield)

We addressed DE

We still need a LT  -  L. Collins - 10-12M per year - 3 year

We still need a QB -  Winston - 10-12M per year - 3 Year (last year voidable)

We still need a WR - Jarvis Williams -  or Will Fuller 8-12 M per year

We still need a TE - Draft

This team could win the AFC south

We could also draft a player like Carson Strong in round 2 or 3

And get CBs, FS, OL depth in the draft

We would look to have 38-40M left and these moves including draft pool would spend us up near the limit

I hope we dont try to fill all of these holes in the draft, or we will be picking early next year anyway

It will be an interesting few months

Maybe CB will call me  :)

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

At this point the Colts dont want the bottom teams QBs

Do we jump from one Carson type to another Carson type? (Like mayfield)

We share the same thoughts on this. I don’t see why the Colts would be interested in QBs that other teams don’t want. Wilson was a different story because we know the Seahawks are hitting the reset button. But all these other guys? I don’t get it.

I’m with you on the Baker thing. Why would you trade away an up and down player who can’t get you over the hump, for another up and down player who can’t get you over the hump? Makes zero sense. I see the same thing with Jimmy G.

Also, with the exception of Wentz (and he rectified it the very next season), Ballard has never traded for a player who was playing poorly or on the decline. Buckner was an elite DT who the 49ers only moved on from because of salary cap reasons.

I’m also not sure on Winston. The Saints don’t seem to want him back and they don’t have any viable options at QB either. I’m not sure any of the options left are any better than Wentz. At this point I’m locked into the idea that the Colts are just going to scrape up whatever’s left after we find out where Watson is going and just put all their marbles in whatever QB we draft.

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m also not sure on Winston. The Saints don’t seem to want him back and they don’t have any viable options at QB either. I’m not sure any of the options left are any better than Wentz. At this point I’m locked into the idea that the Colts are just going to scrape up whatever’s left after we find out where Watson is going and just put all their marbles in whatever QB we draft.

Another option is to use the 2nd and third and move up to get Corral (or stay put and get Strong)

Corrall has a very quick release, is very accurate, he has excellent mobility and a strong arm

He also has some fire, which I like

Strong has all of this except the mobility, but if you watch him he moves well enough in the pocket

Strong has the best arm in the draft and his release seems to be as quick as Rivers 

I absolutely like everything about Ridder, except his poor accuracy. and glacier speed release.....

These will get him killed in the NFL - I HOPE that we dont waste a pick on him 

Winston was 5-2 last year and was 14-3 on Ints.......  Jamison is also young enough to play the next 8 years

Lastly his former coach Payton said that he was very impressed with Jamison and his leadership and work ethic

Thats why I like Winston

Of course, I dont personally know any of these folks....... Winston, Strong, and Corral may be obnoxious people with mashed potatoes for brains.......    The coaches can see this......  I cant

Not the perfect choice, but..... If we go with a rookie to start next year, we will be losing more games than we win

If we go with Winston WHILE we develop an rookie, this team could win THIS coming year

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

We share the same thoughts on this. I don’t see why the Colts would be interested in QBs that other teams don’t want. Wilson was a different story because we know the Seahawks are hitting the reset button. But all these other guys? I don’t get it.

I’m with you on the Baker thing. Why would you trade away an up and down player who can’t get you over the hump, for another up and down player who can’t get you over the hump? Makes zero sense. I see the same thing with Jimmy G.

Also, with the exception of Wentz (and he rectified it the very next season), Ballard has never traded for a player who was playing poorly or on the decline. Buckner was an elite DT who the 49ers only moved on from because of salary cap reasons.

Not true

Saints tried to extend Jameis during the season.

Archived