Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

This is a flawed argument because talented transformational WR's are so seldom available in FA. You can say the same for free agent QB's and edge rushers. How different is your argument if you say "I dare you to find a WR that switched teams that ended up transforming that team." There are dozens of those but for some reason Ballard isnt allowed to trade for a WR?

I just picked wr based on conversation. I will go one step father and that rarely has there been a 1st day big money free agent that had done much for his new team. 

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

This is a flawed argument because talented transformational WR's are so seldom available in FA. You can say the same for free agent QB's and edge rushers. How different is your argument if you say "I dare you to find a WR that switched teams that ended up transforming that team." There are dozens of those but for some reason Ballard isnt allowed to trade for a WR?

What has happened more often?

1. A team drafted a great WR.

2. A team signed a great WR.

3. A team traded for a great WR.

I think the answer is obviously #1, so Im just curious why so many people are obsessed with the Colts going any other route?

47 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think the answer is obviously #1, so Im just curious why so many people are obsessed with the Colts going any other route?

Honestly that's not saying much. Which position in the league does what you typed not apply to? Literally every team drafts players and supplements those players via FA and trades. 

The notion that any type of player cant/shouldn't be found in FA or via trade is simply wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

because ballard has missed on so many wr picks

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

He has missed on 1, who can play but hasnt been able to stay healthy and showed no sogns of health issues in college.

A 6th round pick who doesnt become a starter in 2 years, isnt a "miss". He is still on the roster and looked good at times last year. Strachan is a project who hasnt even gotten an opportunity yet. 

Cmon man "so many"?

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honestly that's not saying much. Which position in the league does what you typed not apply to? Literally every team drafts players and supplements those players via FA and trades. 

The notion that any type of player cant/shouldn't be found in FA or via trade is simply wrong. 

Right, and thats my point.

Nobody has said that a player cant or shouldnt be found in free agency or thru a trade.

People ARE saying he is making a mistake by not splurging on a free agent WR.

Im just saying he still has a draft and anyone who suggests he cant land a great receiver in the draft simply doesnt know what they are talking about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

He has missed on 1, who can play but hasnt been able to stay healthy and showed no sogns of health issues in college.

A 6th round pick who doesnt become a starter in 2 years, isnt a "miss". He is still on the roster and looked good at times last year. Strachan is a project who hasnt even gotten an opportunity yet. 

Cmon man "so many"?

Right, and thats my point.

Nobody has said that a player cant or shouldnt be found in free agency or thru a trade.

People ARE saying he is making a mistake by not splurging on a free agent WR.

Im just saying he still has a draft and anyone who suggests he cant land a great receiver in the draft simply doesnt know what they are talking about. 

I’ve felt all along he was going to draft a WR or two when I saw the monster contracts WRs started getting and then the Hill trade details that pretty much cemented it for me that they are going to draft a guy or two.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Not really. Campbell has shown highlights but he can't stay healthy. That's not on Ballard as he was healthy in college. He misses on wr picks because he picks them as projects in the 6th and 7th round

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not really. Campbell has shown highlights but he can't stay healthy. That's not on Ballard as he was healthy in college. He misses on wr picks because he picks them as projects in the 6th and 7th round

Campbell has been hurt 3 seasons in a row. You can't blame that on Ballard, but you also can't count that as a success, like you could with Pittman. Pittman is Ballard's lone success story so far, when it comes to drafted WRs.

Ballard has missed on Fountain and Caine, and has gotten very little out of Patmon and Strachan. But there is time and opportunity for those two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

All in Rams and BUCS style =Super Bowl championships.

All in Ballard style gets you to 9-8 or 8-9 and second place in the weak AFC South.

Rams be like we over the Salary Cap and we still bring in a top 3 LB in the league at 50 Mill signing season 3 GIF- doesn't matter Homer we have no salary cap, welcome to the team.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I really wonder what Jim thinks about all this and if he says anything to Ballard. LA must have some absolute wizards working with salary cap spending while we’ve got monkeys doing nothing. 

NO SPEND MONEY. 

Well he said in a press conference where he was brutally honest that he doesn’t have an issue with Ballard’s approach to free agency.  Just because it’s not what people wanted to hear doesn’t mean it’s not true.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well he said in a press conference where he was brutally honest that he doesn’t have an issue with Ballard’s approach to free agency.  Just because it’s not what people wanted to hear doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Not saying he needs a Jacksonville style of FA period, but if someone like a Mathieu or Wagner are available that can help you win now and change your defense, you go for it. You don’t sit on your hands and hope to draft someone that’ll be a day one starter and all pro to save some money. It’s just annoying and frustrating. I’m sure Jim has some anger about it, even if he doesn’t voice it. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Not saying he needs a Jacksonville style of FA period, but if someone like a Mathieu or Wagner are available that can help you win now and change your defense, you go for it. You don’t sit on your hands and hope to draft someone that’ll be a day one starter and all pro to save some money. It’s just annoying and frustrating. I’m sure Jim has some anger about it, even if he doesn’t voice it. 

You can be sure but again he gave a very brutally honest press conference/interview this week where he said he’s not.  I think the odds are higher you want him to be upset than that Irsay wasn’t honest about that one topic.

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I really wonder what Jim thinks about all this and if he says anything to Ballard. LA must have some absolute wizards working with salary cap spending while we’ve got monkeys doing nothing. 

NO SPEND MONEY. 

Jimmy likes it....it's more money to buy guitars with. Lol 

He's the Boss, If he didn't, things would be different. Just like he didn't like Wentz and then Wentz became gone. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

With any luck, this will be the last off season that we have to put up with this nonsense.

Well, unfortunately, I am guessing that we will all have to continue to put up with nonsense. We may, however, disagree with what that nonsense is. 

39 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

All in Rams and BUCS style =Super Bowl championships.

All in Ballard style gets you to 9-8 or 8-9 and second place in the weak AFC South.

With any luck, this will be the last off season that we have to put up with this nonsense.

This season it might be third place?

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Jimmy likes it....it's more money to buy guitars with. Lol 

He's the Boss, If he didn't, things would be different. Just like he didn't like Wentz and then Wentz became gone. 

Rocking Out Cam Newton GIF by Nickelodeon- This is Jimmy I love ya, give it up for the Rams EVERBODY for signing Bobby to 50 Mill when they over the Salary Cap while we give Matt no helpHappy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

The main issue as I see it is Ballard seems to be doing everything very safe and conservative.  He doesn't want to tank and yet he also doesn't seem to want to go "all chips in".

And that approach gets you 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or the occasional 10-6.  And what good does that do?

The only two times in the past 20 years that the Colts TRULY became elite is after one thing happened.  We sucked/tanked for a year and got the #1 pick and were able to draft Manning and Luck,.  It was game changing. 

Now?  We are in year 5 of the Ballard era and we just signed an aging vet QB who is on the decline to run the team for the next 2 years.  In the loaded AFC?  That is good enough to compete but you aren't winning a SB with Matt Ryan.

So why do it?  It isn't game changing or at least attempting to game change. 

Instead Ballard seems to just want to play it by the book.  No big moves.  No risks.  No big FA's.  No salary cap maneuvering.  Just low level stuff that gets you....8-8.  And while that may be enough to keep most of the seats filled for the home games every Sunday....it sure as heck is not going to win you a Championship. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JbsExpressway said:

The main issue as I see it is Ballard seems to be doing everything very safe and conservative.  He doesn't want to tank and yet he also doesn't seem to want to go "all chips in".

And that approach gets you 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or the occasional 10-6.  And what good does that do?

The only two times in the past 20 years that the Colts TRULY became elite is after one thing happened.  We sucked/tanked for a year and got the #1 pick and were able to draft Manning and Luck,.  It was game changing. 

Now?  We are in year 5 of the Ballard era and we just signed an aging vet QB who is on the decline to run the team for the next 2 years.  In the loaded AFC?  That is good enough to compete but you aren't winning a SB with Matt Ryan.

So why do it?  It isn't game changing or at least attempting to game change. 

Instead Ballard seems to just want to play it by the book.  No big moves.  No risks.  No big FA's.  No salary cap maneuvering.  Just low level stuff that gets you....8-8.  And while that may be enough to keep most of the seats filled for the home games every Sunday....it sure as heck is not going to win you a Championship. 

There's good news. With the 17 game schedule, we no longer  will be a .500 team. ( Unless there is a tie game) Most likely we will be an 8-9 team. Good times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

OG Chris Reed just signed a minimal 1 year deal with the Vikings. WHAT IS BALLARD DOING? You mean to tell me he doesn't want to pay a vital depth piece on the OL a minimal contract to remain with the team? 

None of what he is doing is making any sense to me. 

He is half in....half out.

Letting some key role players go while not really signing anyone to replace them while at the same time not signing any impact FA's and then trading for a aging vet QB.  Btw I like Matt Ryan but not unless you are 100000% in.

And in no way is what Ballard doing being 100000% in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

OG Chris Reed just signed a minimal 1 year deal with the Vikings. WHAT IS BALLARD DOING? You mean to tell me he doesn't want to pay a vital depth piece on the OL a minimal contract to remain with the team? 

Ballard is one of the absolute worst GMs when it comes to free agency.  He is good at trades but when it comes to negotiations with agents of free agents ....he flat out is one of the worst.

• Like 2

Was it the 2019 end of season interview that Ballard basically said the lack of depth on the OLine that hurt us and that was on him. I could be remembering incorrectly...but if not it seems like we are heading down that path again.  I'm talking quality guys not just a bunch of random hope they can "hold down the fort" guys. We are still missing starters and losing depth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Was it the 2019 end of season interview that Ballard basically said the lack of depth on the OLine that hurt us and that was on him. I could be remembering incorrectly...but if not it seems like we are heading down that path again.  I'm talking quality guys not just a bunch of random hope they can "hold down the fort" guys. We are still missing starters and losing depth.

We can go find goods guards.