Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its funny to me, that we've been linked to every QB under the sun, yet I haven't heard anyone connect us with Jameis. Oddly enough, I actually think he's the best option imo. Hear me out:

- Jameis has had ONE problem that has plagued him his whole career; Turnovers. Well he just sat two years learning behind one of the best QBs of all time, and being coached by one of the best coaches of all time. In that same time, he finally found out he legit couldn't even see properly lol. Went and got Lasic eye surgery. When he finally got to start after Brees retired, he had the Saints at 5-2 and they fell off a cliff as soon as he got injured. He was on pace for a 33-7 TD/INT ratio season. He was much more cautious then he previously was.

- All of these rumored targets come with risk. Kirk and Jimmy G, have massive cap hits, and we would have to give up assets in order to get them. I can't say for sure that they would make us that much better than any of the free agent guys.

- As for the other free agents, (Mariota, Trubisky), I'd still take Jameis. The only thing that is intruguing with Mariota is his running ability and what we'd be able to do with option plays etc. He's still not ever shown to be able to push the ball down the field. As for Trubisky, imo, he does everything, "meh". Doesn't do one particular thing well. Also when it comes to leadership, knowing our locker room and what we've been through, not a chance our room will buy in off the bat if we bring in Mitch, thats just the reality of it.

Winston would only cost cap space, and definitely less then what Jimmy G or Kirk are making now. The best part too, is it likely only ends in one of two ways. 1, his problems have been fixed, and we're in the playoffs. Or 2, his problems and turnovers revert, he costs us games or we bench him for Ehlingher and we finish with a top 10 pick. 

IMO there is no home run option. I didn't bring up Carr because I don't see a chance in hell why Oakland would do that, considering that was one of the reasons Mcdaniels decided to go there.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Great Post

I also think that Jameis would be the only FA that would be an improvement over Wentz

Wilson was my option number 1

Jameis is my option number 2 (Now number 1)

I would offer a 2 year deal

The guy threw for over 5000 yards in a season a few years ago

It was a bad year for INTS but.....  he seems to have improved on the INTS with the play he had last year

In a year where there are VERY limited options..... if Winston wants to come to Indy..... make it happen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like Winston over Mariota and Trubisky.  He has the best arm and seemed to get his turnover problem under control after his successful eye surgery. His acl injury is a question mark so that makes Mariota the safer option.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I like Winston over Mariota and Trubisky.  He has the best arm and seemed to get his turnover problem under control after his successful eye surgery. His acl injury is a question mark so that makes Mariota the safer option.  

I would take him over Mariota or Mitch easily. 

• Like 4

That is the only QB I’m down for us getting.  Would say Carr but it seems like the asking price may be too high.  I also think we’d be able to attract some receivers down here to play for him.  We have the money, all depends on what our FO and Winston wants to do.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t be opposed to giving him a chance. But I want to be able to get out after 1 year or 2 years. He’s going to want a commitment, and we’re still keeping ourselves on the market for other QBs who may decide to seek a trade after this season. If we could do a one year deal I’d definitely approve of that. 

I'm very on the fence about Winston. His stats looked good last year but after watching a few of the games there were a lot of passes that should have been TO's, similar to Wentz. He'd definitely be cheaper and does seem more willing to check it down but if we can't get Cousins/Carr I'd rather take a flier on Minshew and give him every weapon imaginable. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

He would be a terrible fit for what they're doing offensively and how they're trying to win.  

11 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Winston isn't a fit in this offense

How isn't Winston a fit?  He was one of the best game managers in the league last year and he did that without MT.  Imagine what he could do with JT, Hines, MPJ, hopefully a healthy PC (lol), and some FA targets.  I can tell you one thing, he wouldn't continuously check out of runs and he would hit his layups

• Like 1

The Saints are with the Panthers in the Watson trade, they're making a pitch to the Texans and Watson. That tells me that Winston will be available, and for a 1 or two year deal, at a reasonable price..

He would be my number one option right now and has been for me all along.  Sign him to a 2 year deal for around $15-25mill range. Maybe some incentives.  Then draft a guy to develop and compete if one we like falls in range to get. I think he has the most upside of the guys available.  He’s the only available option that I think has the upside of being a possible top 10 QB and we already know he has the talent to play in the league and at least be average. He does have a tendency to throw INTs but that also is exacerbated in Bruce’s offense.  Almost everyone throws career high INTs in his offense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

Winston isn't a fit in this offense

Respectfully

I would LOVE to get some details from you on this

Ultimately I am nothing more than an old dude, clacking away on my laptop

I may be missing something

IMHO Winston seems to be a perfect fit for this offense

For Winston

This offense needs an accurate QB - Check

This offense needs a QB that checks down to the RB when the deep ball covered - Check (2021)

This offense need a QB that does not often turn the ball over - Check (2021)

This offense needs a QB that is Mobile - Check

This offense needs a QB that has the arm to hit the deep ball "chunk play" - Check

I havent met the guy, in the past Winston was a goofball, in college he had a dark side

He may be a *.... If he is.... OF COURSE I DONT WANT HIM

But..... The video says that WINSTON could do well in this offense

He wont cost draft capitol

He could be had for 10-12M per year (or so)

We can use the added picks to get TEs, WRs, CBs, FS, Maybe LT

He is also going to be available in May

The team mates in New Orleans have glowing reports on Winston

Sean P. gushed over Winston's work effort....  The Kid has seemingly grown up

However...... Jameis is NOT Elite

I will share he DOES have ELITE Physical skills

Some people are clammoring for Jimmy Garapolo

Jimmy Garaoplo is also not elite. Jimmy G also DOES NOT have elite physical skills.

Jimmy will cost us about 25M

He WILL also cost us draft capitol...... maybe a 1st round pick next year

Jimmy is not available until July

An offense that needs timing work to be successful NEEDS the QB to be available for the practice time, even before camp

Also their appears to be at least TWO QBs in next years draft that MIGHT be elite.....

Do you want to spend your future draft capitol where you might miss the opportunity  for a future POSSIBLE ELITE QB in next years draft? _ I DONT

2022 Draft seems to have no Elite QBs

IMHO..... the choices are FEW

We will need to choose from a smaller group of actually available (VERY IMPORTANT)

I would like your thought... I may be missing something, how Winston doesnt fit this offense

I also like Jamie, and I think how much we criticize Reich play calling at least he is good in limiting INT for QB.

Rivers had 2nd most INT with 20 in 2019 with 23 TD / 20 INT and last season with us he had 24 TD / 11 INT.

Wentz how much we hated him did not have much INT but after having career high INT as 16 TD / 15 INT with PHI had only 27 TD / 7 INT with us last season.

Even Jacoby had 13 TD / 7 INT in 2017 and 18 TD / 6 INT in 2019.

So I wonder maybe Jamie might not be turn over machine with us :thinking:

• Like 1