Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

You think the Vikes are gonna release Hunter?

They better not. I would be extremely disappointed if they did. That is the best commodity they have besides Justin Jefferson. Perhaps they could trade him. But cut him and get nothing for him?? Nah.

Have you heard that they would?

They did release Michael Pierce, another free agent signing that did nothing for us. 

44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They better not. I would be extremely disappointed if they did. That is the best commodity they have besides Justin Jefferson. Perhaps they could trade him. But cut him and get nothing for him?? Nah.

Have you heard that they would?

They did release Michael Pierce, another free agent signing that did nothing for us. 

I heard it was a possibility, but that was before the Cousins news that freed up some cash.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well listening to callers that called into his show they weren’t happy. It was kind of funny because they were so mad all they could do was  laugh instead of cry.

That's a clearcut case of selection bias. The ones with the strongest feelings will be the ones most likely to call. I don't have strong feelings about us spending this year, so I wouldn't call a radio show almost whatever we do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I know luck retiring set this team back. But Ballard teams keep getting worse. They aren’t even improving in other areas. 

my main beef with him is that he isn’t aggressive enough.  Idk if he’s being aggressive or not but the lack of talent at key positions shows.  Other teams have those same key positions and the teams that compete are able to fill them mostly while we seem to not.  I think his drafting has been good.  He’s done a solid job of building a foundation and performing what I like to call a “moving rebuild”.  But his lack of success in FA is hampering this team.  I said this in another thread.  It’s ok to build through the draft but we can’t solely depend on it.  We have to use FA to fill the rest of our holes and make up for the misses in the draft.  When we don’t hit in the draft or FA, it hurts the team that much more. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

my main beef with him is that he isn’t aggressive enough.  Idk if he’s being aggressive or not but the lack of talent at key positions shows.  Other teams have those same key positions and the teams that compete are able to fill them mostly while we seem to not.  I think his drafting has been good.  He’s done a solid job of building a foundation and performing what I like to call a “moving rebuild”.  But his lack of success in FA is hampering this team.  I said this in another thread.  It’s ok to build through the draft but we can’t solely depend on it.  We have to use FA to fill the rest of our holes and make up for the misses in the draft.  When we don’t hit in the draft or FA, it hurts the team that much more. 

Im pretty sure the calendar says March  15 and not April 15.    I love posts that talk about our wrong or bad approach after one day of free agency.    One.    ONE!!

I looked over on NFL.com and the Colts are one of 8 teams that pretty much sat out the first day of free agency.   We are not alone.   It’s not like Chris Ballard is doing one thing and the other 31 teams are doing something else.   

There will be plenty of time to complain in the days and weeks to come.   But after one day?   Really?    Come on….. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im pretty sure the calendar says March  15 and not April 15.    I love posts that talk about our wrong or bad approach after one day of free agency.    One.    ONE!!

I looked over on NFL.com and the Colts are one of 8 teams that pretty much sat out the first day of free agency.   We are not alone.   It’s not like Chris Ballard is doing one thing and the other 31 teams are doing something else.   

There will be plenty of time to complain in the days and weeks to come.   But after one day?   Really?    Come on….. 

You generally say this every year, and every year it's not like Ballard does much more in the next couple weeks anyway. He'll end up signing a few lower tier FAs, they will probably make a minimal difference. Maybe a mid-tier one could do something at WR specifically. That is Ballard's history for us in FA. There is a sample size now. Only difference is that maybe we sign Mariota this year in FA and get a QB. 

There's a reason I wasn't on the board yesterday. I knew it would happen yesterday, and I know what will happen the next week or two. He does the same thing every year. I was more excited about the Braves getting Matt Olson to replace Freddie Freeman than I was to pay attention to us yesterday in FA. If we get a big name FA like a WR or so, it will be something rare Ballard does. However, we already know whether it's days or weeks, what will already happen most likely.

So please don't give the one day excuse. This FA story has been played out many times, and everyone on this forum knows the ending.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Just 1 year $10m. Disappointed we weren't in on that. Same type of deal we gave Funchess.

I imagine him coming off of the fractured ankle last season made some teams weary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't like signing high-priced free agents, but I would take this guy. I'm a huge fan of his.

Is that a Vikings cap he has on in his avatar?

So, is it 56.7 or 67 million with the typo? :) 

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I imagine him coming off of the fractured ankle last season made some teams weary.

Like I said earlier - if you have an offensive weapon looking for a 1 year prove it deal, convicing him to sign with the team that has Sam Ehlinger as their current QB1, is not going to be easy. Our lack of QB is working against us in FA right now. Players will either not want to come to Indy, or will want massive overpayment so they mitigate their risk of being stuck on a team without a good QB to pass them the ball. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think when you keep doing the same things over and over with the same result it’s time to do things different. Ballard is too stubborn.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I am not saying Ballard is insane, but you are right, his stubbornness, unwillingness to be flexible is clearly hurting the growth of this team.

12 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

That isn’t a bad deal at all. Surely he would have came to Indy for the same price. 

The Lions are doing a good job this free agent period. They signed several of their own free agents and are adding reasonable contracts outside of that. I like that much more than what the Jags have done, assembling high-priced free agents from everywhere.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Lions are having a nice free agency period. MHO. They signed several of their own free agents and are adding reasonable contracts outside of that. I like that much more than what the Jags have done, assembling high-priced free agents from everywhere.

I wrote that the Lions are having a nice draft. haha (I edited it.) I need some coffee.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

My goodness.

Wow

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

6 new acquisitions in day one, thank heavens the Colts are keeping up....oh wait

Jags do this every single year. Yet when was the last time they had a winning record?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow

Jags do this every single year. Yet when was the last time they had a winning record?

Well, specifically, they won the AFC South in 2017 with a 10-6 record and ended up losing to the Patriots in the AFC championship. The Colts last won a divisional title in 2014.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Well, specifically, they won the AFC South in 2017 with a 10-6 record and ended up losing to the Patriots in the AFC championship. The Colts last won a divisional title in 2014.

Fair enough, but over the last 20 years, they’ve had the most cap space and spending and the most top 5 draft pics and still only have 1 division win? I’m not worried about the jags currently. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Chark one year with lions 19 million. Tell mr again Ballard is serious about pass catchers.

WR is one of the deepest and talented groups in the draft. I wouldn’t and didn’t wanna over pay for a FA WR except maybe trade for Cooper. But still

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Fair enough, but over the last 20 years, they’ve had the most cap space and spending and the most top 5 draft pics and still only have 1 division win? I’m not worried about the jags currently. 

Yes, after winning the division that year, they have largely fallen into a rut because they could not find a quality QB until their draft last year. That they shared in common with the Colts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

WR is one of the deepest and talented groups in the draft. I wouldn’t and didn’t wanna over pay for a FA WR except maybe trade for Cooper. But still

Except we have no first round pick. Very likely may give up the second to move up for a QB. Have no LT. We going to go get that 6th round training camp stud again. Lol.