Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts expected to sign Hayward and Quinten Jefferson

Its Ward, not Wood, and he would be a good bridge Corner for the rookie mid round pick we hopefully draft and Rodgers who still needs some developmental time.

Don't know much about Jefferson.

• TaylorTheStudMuffin changed the title to Colts expected to sign Hayward and Quinten Jefferson

Not a bad CB if he doesn't cost and arm and leg.

Jefferson is solid, not great. He played 3T for LVR IIRC. Depth I guess, unless they'd give him time at "Big End"... 

Or maybe they think Defo might play Big End...

IDK.

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not a bad CB if he doesn't cost and arm and leg.

Jefferson is solid, not great. He played 3T for LVR IIRC. Depth I guess, unless they'd give him time at "Big End"... 

Or maybe they think Defo might play Big End...

IDK.

Do you see Buckner as a good fit for this defense?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Do you see Buckner as a good fit for this defense?

He's a great talent regardless of scheme. 

Not sure, but think I like him better in Bradley's scheme than Flus's... 

I'd like to see him get snaps at Big End. 

• Like 1

Hayward is a great signing as long has it’s not a boat load of money, he is still a very solid contributor but even more so he knows this scheme better than anyone here and should help our young corners a ton I wouldn’t want to contract to be anymore then 2/10m which I don’t think it will be and Jefferson.... ehhhh whatever should be cheap 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's a great talent regardless of scheme. 

Not sure, but think I like him better in Bradley's scheme than Flus's... 

I'd like to see him get snaps at Big End. 

I figured he can play in any scheme. Just worried he may be out of position with this new defense.  Seen a lot of coaches try to force great players to fit their scheme instead of getting creative and putting them in position to make plays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I figured he can play in any scheme. Just worried he may be out of position with this new defense.  Seen a lot of coaches try to force great players to fit their scheme instead of getting creative and putting them in position to make plays. 

Hard to say. Flus's scheme was just to vanilla IMO for every DL player. Not a lot of blitzing, stunting, or disguising. 

While Bradley doesn't blitz much, he's look more creative. And his pressure % was better than Flus's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am not sure how much you guys have watched Hayward but the reason the Raiders were weak against TEs is because they played a funnel D with Gus Bradley as DC. It was hard for them to be beat outside but was easier to pick on their LBs and safeties, explaining the high TE production vs Raiders

Casey Hayward (news flash to every single poster who hasn't watched him) was rated higher than our best corner RYS and was a big part of the Raiders' outside coverage. He was fundamentally sound and was a key part of the communication in their secondary too. He is not a shut down CB by any means but neither is RYS (when going against talents like Chase or Lamb etc.). Hayward is a top 5 free agent CB (yeah, he is a "meh" signing, whatever!!!)

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/casey-hayward/7064

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-cornerbacks-2022-nfl-draft-2022-free-agency

If Hayward can reproduce that here, it would be a VERY GOOD signing. Jefferson, good rotational DT, not an alpha like Buckner.

Now this....this is an educative and solid post!

I wasnt sure why these signings were described as 'meh'....every time i saw Hayward last season, he was playing well. Saw him at least three times.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I wasnt sure why these signings were described as 'meh'....every time i saw Hayward last season, he was playing well. Saw him at least three times.

Signing him would pretty much ensure we won't be drafting a CB in Round 2 at least, IMO, not with RYS and Rodgers already coming along well. We could then focus on QB/LT/WR/DL on Day 2.

TE, there is value on Day 3, and possibly a backup slot CB to back up Moore down the road.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am not sure how much you guys have watched Hayward but the reason the Raiders were weak against TEs is because they played a funnel D with Gus Bradley as DC. It was hard for them to be beat outside but was easier to pick on their LBs and safeties, explaining the high TE production vs Raiders

Casey Hayward (news flash to every single poster who hasn't watched him) was rated higher than our best corner RYS and was a big part of the Raiders' outside coverage. He was fundamentally sound and was a key part of the communication in their secondary too. He is not a shut down CB by any means but neither is RYS (when going against talents like Chase or Lamb etc.). Hayward is a top 5 free agent CB (yeah, he is a "meh" signing, whatever!!!)

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/casey-hayward/7064

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-cornerbacks-2022-nfl-draft-2022-free-agency

If Hayward can reproduce that here, it would be a VERY GOOD signing. Jefferson, good rotational DT, not an alpha like Buckner.

Hayward looks like a real solid vet.  DCs usually have some system players that follow them to new locales. Looks like a good, obvious, and near inevitable signing. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Signing him would pretty much ensure we won't be drafting a CB in Round 2 at least, IMO, not with RYS and Rodgers already coming along well. We could then focus on QB/LT/WR/DL on Day 2.

TE, there is value on Day 3, and possibly a backup slot CB to back up Moore down the road.

We really need a single high safety for Bradley's D that is pretty good.  I'm guessing they might nab one of the FAs with the cap room.  He's been following around Bradley for a while

I'd like to see them sign Sherman too if he wants to play and is dealing with his mental health.  At the least he could be a fantastic mentor to young guys in GBs D.  I am sure he is respected in the league.

I personally didn't like his mouth, but all I want is winning from the team I root for.  He's been contrite and seemingly open in the media about his issues which I think is positive. 

Casey Hayward would be a starter (more than likely) as a boundary corner for us as we continue to groom Isaiah Rodgers.

That would give us Hayward, Ya Sin, Moore, Rodgers and Tell. To me, that is a solid start to the secondary!

Quinton Jefferson would play the big DE spot and drop inside occasionally as a rotational piece that is experienced in the Cover 3 scheme with Seattle and Da Raiders! at 6'4" and 290ish pounds that is the perfect size for that spot!

Neither would stop the Colts from drafting a younger version but they would certainly be great rotational/starter peices.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Agree.

The Jefferson dude looks like meh depth though.   Which most NFL players are meh.  All teams have meh.  You need meh instead of Sam Tevi and Davenport.  Those are OMG guys.  You can't suceed with OMG guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Casey Hayward would be a starter (more than likely) as a boundary corner for us as we continue to groom Isaiah Rodgers.

That would give us Hayward, Ya Sin, Moore, Rodgers and Tell. To me, that is a solid start to the secondary!

Quinton Jefferson would play the big DE spot and drop inside occasionally as a rotational piece that is experienced in the Cover 3 scheme with Seattle and Da Raiders! at 6'4" and 290ish pounds that is the perfect size for that spot!

Neither would stop the Colts from drafting a younger version but they would certainly be great rotational/starter peices.

I wonder if any of those guys can move to C3 FS.  That is glaring blank spot right now for a Bradley D.  I wouldn't think even a healthy Blackmon is suited for that position with his deep coverage deficiencies. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I wonder if any of those guys can move to C3 FS.  That is glaring blank spot right now for a Bradley D.  I wouldn't think even a healthy Blackmon is suited for that position with his deep coverage deficiencies. 

So many safeties available in FA.  Might take a stab there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Tell was a college FS and has cleaned up one of his glaring weaknesses - tackling.

But, Quandre Diggs in FA would be a good get as he flourished in Seattle in that spot!

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, signing Heyward would improve TWO positions.  The Corner position by having him there....and the position you can then draft at pick 42 or 3rd round where you do not now have to take a corner.

Factor those economies into the salary price of Heyward when he signs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Tell was a college FS and has cleaned up one of his glaring weaknesses - tackling.

But, Quandre Diggs in FA would be a good get as he flourished in Seattle in that spot!

Tackling isn't all that important in Bradley's C3.  If your FS is having to tackle a lot, your getting your adz kicked. Side to side CF is the name of the game.  And we need some depth there, even if we do sign a good FA.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Hopefully Father time doesn't catch up with Hayward, he is 32, fingers crossed.

Well father time is undefeated, but for a C3 corner, father time isn't as cruel as other schemes.  It is less athletically centered than man or even C2, but more centered on technique, anticipation, savvy, which all age decently.  Of course you have to have an acceptable level of athleticism, but old man church league basketball, John Stockton type of dirtiness can make up for a lot of that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well father time is undefeated, but for a C3 corner, father time isn't as cruel as other schemes.  It is less athletically centered than man or even C2, but more centered on technique, anticipation, savvy, which all age decently.  Of course you have to have an acceptable level of athleticism, but old man church league basketball, John Stockton type of dirtiness can make up for a lot of that.

I like the way you worded that!  I just hope he has at least one more good year in him, should he be signed by the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can dig it.  Heyward will play opposite of RYS and puts KM3 in the nickel where he belongs.  Not a lights out DB squad but can look good with a good pass rush 

Quintin will be a good rotational piece.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Agree.

The Jefferson dude looks like meh depth though.   Which most NFL players are meh.  All teams have meh.  You need meh instead of Sam Tevi and Davenport.  Those are OMG guys.  You can't suceed with OMG guys.

Totally agree, all teams have meh players.  The OMG players are for scout teams.