Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Browns won’t get that for him. Mainly because he is on his last year of his contract. What I have seen is maybe a 2nd round pick but most likely a third round pick. Browns want a day two pick. 

I would give them a 2 for Baker in a heart beat. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aaron86 said:

I would give them a 2 for Baker in a heart beat. 

Third max.  They have no leverage.  They clearly want to ship him out, he’s in the final year of his deal, and with that, he can effectively box out any teams he doesn’t want to go to.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Derek larger said on his live last night he has several friends he knows that are going to sell  their season tickets and don’t even want to go.

Good give me a chance to get some at a good price...lol

I will root for the Colts no matter what they decide to do this year or next and every year after that.

3 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Third max.  They have no leverage.  They clearly want to ship him out, he’s in the final year of his deal, and with that, he can effectively box out any teams he doesn’t want to go to.

If we get him for a third I would be ecstatic.

17 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Browns won’t get that for him. Mainly because he is on his last year of his contract. What I have seen is maybe a 2nd round pick but most likely a third round pick. Browns want a day two pick. 

Understood.  I was making a hypothetical to prove a point -- that Baker will cost more than Mariota.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Baker could actually sell tickets and create excitement.

I think he would too.

On the flip side of my argument ("The Case for Baker Mayfield"), Baker's got moxie.  I think he gives us the best chance, of the QB's available, to be a longer term solution.  People like following a guy with mediocre talent, but with off-the-charts guts.  See: Jim Harbaugh.  Bears drafted him for this quality.  In 1995, our fans rooted their hearts out when he nearly got us to the superbowl.  And it's the reason he's still the Michigan head coach.  Despite his shortcomings, he's got guts.

And Baker's got guts too.  And that's the argument for us to take him.  You can't help but root for him.  You can't help but play with him.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we would've had Peyton or Luck with a chance to clinch a playoff berth at Jacks we would've took care of business lmao . As bad as the D played, those 2 would've found a way to win with those stakes on the line. Peyton was beating very good teams with basically a noodle arm in the 2015 playoffs, it is what is upstairs and Wentz doesn't have it. My early prediction already is Washington doesn't make the playoffs. Dallas will win that division.

I'm certainly not defending Wentz, I don' think he was the man for the job. But he doesn't play Defense or is responsible that the team was I'll prepared. 

I firmly believe, for whatever reasons, as early as the 3rd week he was designated to be the scapegoat if things didn't pan out. 

I, and a few others said so in September when irsay publicly criticized him.

However, I'm not sorry he's gone regardless how the QB position plays out, for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm certainly not defending Wentz, I don' think he was the man for the job. But he doesn't play Defense or is responsible that the team was I'll prepared. 

I firmly believe, for whatever reasons, as early as the 3rd week he was designated to be the scapegoat if things didn't pan out. 

I, and a few others said so in September when irsay publicly criticized him.

However, I'm not sorry he's gone regardless how the QB position plays out, for better or worse.

It makes people wonder what happened in that meeting between Wentz and Ballard. Something had to go wrong.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

The case for Mariota is that he gives you the most play for the least cost.

The Browns are gonna want something for Baker.  They may not want him anymore, but they'll want compensation.  Let's say -- this year's 2nd and next year's conditional 1st, if the Colts make the playoffs.  Something like that.  It's gonna cost something.  He was their starter.  And was a #1 overall pick.  And they may be reluctant to deal Baker to a team in their conference.

Garappolo will not fetch as high a price.  Probably this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd.  It's still gonna cost draft picks, though.

Mariota is a flat-out free agent that won't cost us draft picks at all.  He'll be roughly similar to either of the other two, with some some differences in flavor.  In truth, none of them are superbowl caliber.  But he'll cost the least for so-so play.

That's the advantage of choosing Mariota, and it's also how Ballard can sell it to the team and to the fans.  He wanted to spend his draft choices on more/better players, not as part of a package for a so-so quarterback.

It’s reported they want day 2 picks. Sounds like no one is wanting to do that even

Will the Seahawks make a run at Baker Mayfield?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/20/will-the-seahawks-make-a-run-at-baker-mayfield/

...Some believe the Seahawks will make a play for Mayfield. That he fits with the newfound “us against the world” vibe that Seattle is embracing, in the aftermath of the Russell Wilson trade...

...Cleveland’s best play would be to spark a bidding war between a pair of teams, like the Colts and the Seahawks. If the Colts stay out of the fray, Cleveland needs another team.

I continue to be fascinated by the possibility that Dorsey’s current employer, the Lions, will get involved. Mayfield seems to be exactly what Detroit currently needs, and he’d be the team’s first quarterback with true swagger, perhaps since Bobby Layne.

Wherever he goes, there’s a future for Mayfield. He’s better than plenty of guys currently in the league. As teams continue to process what was a week ago not on the radar screen, someone will make a play for him.

21 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You know what will be maddening. Is after all of this we still end up with Mariota. When we could of had him right away and maybe it would of helped in FA.

Although everyone is mad about the Colts not signing players... sometimes it is the best move to wait it out

With this uninspiring group of qbs I am thinking maybe holding the line might be in the teams best interest.

We still have the most cap space and alot of things can still happen between now and training camp

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Although everyone is mad about the Colts not signing players... sometimes it is the best move to wait it out

With this uninspiring group of qbs I am thinking maybe holding the line might be in the teams best interest.

We still have the most cap space and alot of things can still happen between now and training camp

One of my favorite movie quotes, from Lawrence of Arabia:

Col. Brighton -- You can't very well do nothing!

Gen. Allenby -- Why not?  It's usually best.

6 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You know what will be maddening. Is after all of this we still end up with Mariota. When we could of had him right away and maybe it would of helped in FA.

Mariota is not helping you in FA. Noone is thinking " You know who I really want to play with? Marcus Mariota". None of the available QBs is that type of player. Maybe Matt Ryan is the closest to it but he's old so...

I think Ryan has been the target the entire time to be honest, with Baker being a unanticipated plan B. Only makes sense as we have done nothing else in terms of QB transactions as this deal Is holding things up. Got a feeling today we find out who our QB will be one way or another. Fingers crossed it’s not for substantial draft capital. We NEED it for the 2023 draft. 

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

I think Ryan has been the target the entire time to be honest, with Baker being a unanticipated plan B. Only makes sense as we have done nothing else in terms of QB transactions as this deal Is holding things up. Got a feeling today we find out who our QB will be one way or another. Fingers crossed it’s not for substantial draft capital. We NEED it for the 2023 draft. 

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

According to Lawrence Owen he said the Baker plan had been in place for a long time coming..  If true then it rules out it being an unanticipated plan B. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO we will find out if it's Ryan or not. If it's not him, we might not find out who our QB is for some time... :dunno:

Yup.

I'll say the same thing now that i've said for a while, we're all going to need to be patient. The FO is in no hurry, and the game they're playing at requires extreme patience and discipline. It is what it is, we can keep yelling at the sun gods of the internet though, maybe they listen and strike down Chris Ballard

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO we will find out if it's Ryan or not. If it's not him, we might not find out who our QB is for some time... :dunno:

Then that would lead me to believe it’s a low ceiling rental coming our way setting us up for a luke warm year of Colts football; 2023 where we pivot our focus to the draft. Let’s hope that isn’t the case. 

Archived