Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade up for LT

As we look into 2022, we have a hole at LT, QB, DE, WR, and TE

The highest cost positions traditionally are 

QB, Star DE, and LT

To make things work financially you need to have 1 or 2 of these positions on a rookie contract

We have none

There are two players that could start year one at LT, that MIGHT slide to the 20s in round 1

Trevor Penning and Bernard Raiman

Neither would be perfect, but either could compete at left tackle with a signing of Matt Pryor

Using the non exact trade value chart, a move to 25 would cost us approximately our 2nd and our third round to fill an all important line position that CB covets

By NOT paying big dollars for a LT for a few years, in FA we would have more $$$ to spend on FA WR , DE, and TE

We could get our QB of the future in next years draft..... 

Its not sexy, but Whaddya think?  

18 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If we trade up into the 1st, it'd better be for a QB. This draft is rich with some decent tackle options, i think they may be able to get someone like braxton jones or kellen diesch in the 2nd or 3rd.

If there was someone that was worthy I would

Matt Corall MAYBE

But the odds are ALL of the QBs in this draft will need to sit 1-2 years before they are ready

We need a QB to play in Sept

This is why we could 

1) Stay with Carson for this year

2) Pick up J. Winston

3) Lastly there are people that believe Trubiski is worthy of giving another chance

I could live with any of these 3 options

But we have no LT for Sept

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Matt Corall MAYBE

But the odds are ALL of the QBs in this draft will need to sit 1-2 years before they are ready

This is why we could 

2) Pick up J. Winston

3) Lastly there are people that believe Trubiski is worthy of giving another chance

IF we think there're QBs in this draft who can be the long term future then we'd be insane not to draft said player. I think there're guys who can go on to be absolutely stars in this league. I agree that they may need a half season or a whole year to acclimatize to NFL speed but I'd draft them now in a heartbeat.

We're a QB-needy team, we can't be sitting out taking shots at the position. That is how you wind up looking for a franchise QB for two decades.

On Carson, we can replace his production with guys in FA. They may not be franchise QBs but they'll be enough to drag us to .500 or maybe even surprise us. I think the coming season is going to be all about seeing if a rookie can be the future, and/or positioning for the 2023 QB class. I think that is the price we pay for not overpaying for Stafford.

I know that's a hard comment to swallow for most but we need to understand that we're in QB purgatory. You're not crawling out of that by hoping to draft a finished product at QB, or swindle one of the other 31 teams out of their franchise QB.

On the LT, i think we bring back Fisher (who was unhealthy for a lot of the season), and if things fall our way in the draft, maybe we pick up a LT. I don't think we'll prioritize it in the way you think we will. I think while Fisher was bad, there were reasons for that inc. the QB 

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Matt Corall MAYBE

This is why we could 

2) Pick up J. Winston

Put Moose out there and maybe he will love Q now 

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

IF we think there're QBs in this draft who can be the long term future then we'd be insane not to draft said player. I think there're guys who can go on to be absolutely stars in this league. I agree that they may need a half season or a whole year to acclimatize to NFL speed but I'd draft them now in a heartbeat.

We're a QB-needy team, we can't be sitting out taking shots at the position. That is how you wind up looking for a franchise QB for two decades.

Respectfully, I think any draft of a QB is taking a shot..... History says that they MOSTLY fail

IMHO the MORE shots you take, the better your chances

On Carson, we can replace his production with guys in FA. They may not be franchise QBs but they'll be enough to drag us to .500 or maybe even surprise us. I think the coming season is going to be all about seeing if a rookie can be the future, and/or positioning for the 2023 QB class. I think that is the price we pay for not overpaying for Stafford.

Im not sure of your first sentence

We MIGHT be able to replace the production of Carsen with SOME of the FA QBs

Will Teddy Bridgewater be better? Will Mitch Trubiski be better? Will Fitzpatrick be better than Wentz? 

I dont know about that

I THINK that Winston would be a slight improvement, but thats about it

But lets be honest.... according to the experts, there isnt a Blue chip QB in this draft... At a minimum they need time

Its belived that MOST of the 2022 QBs in the draft will spend the first part of their careers as backup

I know that's a hard comment to swallow for most but we need to understand that we're in QB purgatory. You're not crawling out of that by hoping to draft a finished product at QB, or swindle one of the other 31 teams out of their franchise QB.

On the LT, i think we bring back Fisher (who was unhealthy for a lot of the season), and if things fall our way in the draft, maybe we pick up a LT. I don't think we'll prioritize it in the way you think we will. I think while Fisher was bad, there were reasons for that inc. the QB 

To me, Fisher is a fill

in for a future decision

If we dont trade up to get one of the expensive players covered, I would go with Fisher this year...... But we STILL havent answered the MOST important position on the OL for the future .....  LT

Lining up Pennig next to Q. That leftside of the line would be straight up nasty. Some say 4th and 5th round has some good TE and WR and pure speed rushers at DE. Only thing that this trade will cause is no upgrade to the secondary. We need safety or corner in 2nd or 3rd. Talent falls off. 

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully, I think any draft of a QB is taking a shot..... History says that they MOSTLY fail

Will Teddy Bridgewater be better? Will Mitch Trubiski be better? Will Fitzpatrick be better than Wentz? 

I dont know about that

But lets be honest.... according to the experts, there isnt a Blue chip QB in this draft... At a minimum they need time

Its belived that MOST of the 2022 QBs in the draft will spend the first part of their careers as backup

To me, Fisher is a fill

in for a future decision

If we dont trade up to get one of the expensive players covered, I would go with Fisher this year...... But we STILL havent answered the MOST important position on the OL for the future .....  LT

- Yes, that's what I'm saying. QB selection isnt an exact science so YES you should take more shots at it not sit out a draft because you 'think' there are no Andrew Luck's in it.

- I'm saying we can replace what Carson gave us in FA. And i don't think that should be a controversial statement. Wentz is/was a game manager for us. When he was asked to carry the team, it proved to be something he cant consistently do. You can get game managers many places.

- I know the sentiment that there may not be an immediate starter in this class. I can see why that sentiment arises but if you're a SMART team, you're not just looking at 2022, and you're not just going to sit and wait for a rich QB class because those classes have their own risks too, so-called hit players can fail. Heck, Spencer Rattler was the next Trevor Lawrence one year and transferring schools the next...this isn't an exact science. I think this class has several guys who will be good to very good starters inside 2 years, to me that's worth the gamble.

- We'll see with LT. I think Ballard sees Fisher as being good enough and considering some of our other needs. Put it this way, if we didnt need a QB, i'd be all about spending a 2nd rounder or moving up for a LT in the 1st round.

5 hours ago, craigerb said:

Why bother--CW is already better than .500.

Carson went above .500, Brissett was a notch below .500. The difference in my eyes is one had JT and the other didnt. Those records didnt shake out that way because Wentz was much better last year than Brissett was when he started, actually i think Brissett was slightly better. 

PHWEEEEEET!!!!

Personal foul on @Colt .45 for diverting a post about left tackle over to QB and Carson Wentz.  15 yard penalty; first down.

Jokes aside, here's my response to @MikeCurtis's OP.

If we trade our 2nd and 3rd to move up into the late 1st to get a LT that might be the guy for the future, we wind up with a 1st and then wait around until our 4th.  In effect, he'll be the only guy that we reliably come out of this draft with.  And will not be a starter immediately.  Personally, I'm not a fan of trading draft picks to move up when we didn't have a 1st to begin with.  And as a bonus, we'll be required to fully rely on whatever we pay big money for in free agency to improve the team.  Sure, it's been done.  But I'm not sure I would want to go that route.

So -- here's an alternative idea, Mike, and we'll see if it works.

We do sign Pryor.  And ride his blue collar, lunch bucket ways at LT for 2022.  In the meantime, we spend our 2nd and 3rd on a WR (hopefully), or a TE, or a CB that we can use now rather than later.  In 2023, we'll have our 1st round pick, and could be in line for a Jaxson Kirkland or a Zion Nelson in the late 1st round.  And we find ways to improve the team on the field in both years?

Yes, the plan carries risk.  What if Pryor isn't up to the task?  What if all the best guys are gone by the time we pick at 47?  Anyway, that's my alternative idea, for your consideration.

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard addresses WR, TE, and CB in free agency, he should certainly address LT in the early rounds of the draft, which is supposed to be a quality class for OTs. That’s what I would do at least. 

This is where I am.  I fully expect Ballard to address WR, TE, and CB in free agency.  All three position groups are deep in good talent.  I can see LT being our first pick in the draft.  Deep group and a major need.  

It's hard for me seeing the Colts trade up for anything other than a Quarterback. I would love for Ballard to sign Armstead who won't be cheap but in my opinion is more than worth it. I'm tired of this carousel of experimenting guys every season at LT, and not one of them played well enough to cement themselves at the Colts starting LT for years to come. Armstead, Nelson, Kelly, Pinter/Reed, Smith, would probably end up getting JT 2,500 yards.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, richard pallo said:

This is where I am.  I fully expect Ballard to address WR, TE, and CB in free agency.  All three position groups are deep in good talent.  I can see LT being our first pick in the draft.  Deep group and a major need.  

I never been a fan of starting a rookie at LT and would much rather the Colts sign a proven LT and then draft someone who can be groomed into the starting lineup down the road: Especially with not having a first round pick. LT and Pass Rush are the two positions I would want to sign proven players: Especially with this team since they have failed at filling both positions two years in a row now. I think you can sign a WR in FA and then draft another. TE you can probably sign a guy like Evan Engram who won't break the bank and either draft another TE or bring Cox back.

I'm not getting into the QB position because I have no idea what the heck will happen.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, MikeCurtis said:

The highest cost positions traditionally are 

QB, Star DE, and LT

To make things work financially you need to have 1 or 2 of these positions on a rookie contract

We have none

Wise observation.  Explained concisely.  I'd also throw in a 4th spot, star WR..don't want to really buy those.  But having any number of good players in the final years of their rookie contracts helps a lot. 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know about that

To me, Fisher is a fill

in for a future decision

Re: LT, it’s the biggest deficiency we’ve had on this o-line for several years now, with no plan in place for the future.  Hopefully this year’s draft yields the future for that spot.

3 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Re: LT, it’s the biggest deficiency we’ve had on this o-line for several years now, with no plan in place for the future.  Hopefully this year’s draft yields the future for that spot.

What'd you think of Castonzo?

Archived