Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley

danlhart87

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Big part of JT success is Colts OL

Giants OL is a train wreck 

If I'm the Bills I'm sending a 4th for Barkley 

I think he could do well in Buffalo 

Bills need an RB, but they have a very poor O-Line as well. So I'm not sure how much better Barkley would do. Though Allen would open up the run game for Barkley. I will say that.

He's not worth a 4th rounder. RB's are easy to come by, some are real good and they need to stay. But look at how fast the great looking ones fall from grace. The Cowboys regret giving Elliott that huge contract. Bell was a big signing for the Jets, how'd that turn out. Barkley looked average at best last year, a guy that you could pick up off the streets.

RBs are fungible these days. 

If he's healthy, he's worth a 4th. 

Not sure he's healthy. And he's in a contract year. 

If he doesn't play well, it's a waste. If he does play well, he'll be looking for a big contract extension.

Anyway, no thanks. We have two dual threat RBs, and not enough snaps for one of them. I'm sure he'll find a decent fit though.

• 3 weeks later...

This is why a RB should never be picked in the top 10, and only the rare ones in the top 15/20. The Cowboys thought they had a stud, he's going to be let go after this year, and he was what? The 3ed pick? The Jags to LF, who busted out with them quickly.

11 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

This is why a RB should never be picked in the top 10, and only the rare ones in the top 15/20. The Cowboys thought they had a stud, he's going to be let go after this year, and he was what? The 3ed pick? The Jags to LF, who busted out with them quickly.

I agree with this. RBs work best with a team knocking on the door of the playoffs or an existing playoff team which most likely has key OL pieces in play. The RB should never ever feel like he has to carry the team although he can be a primary key to the engine. It is still always the QB that is in the driver's seat. 

28 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

No thanks, even in college people were saying JT > Saquon

I shouted it when JT was drafted and got a lot of negative feedback that Saquon was better but I watched a lot of college ball ( Wisconsin religiously) and they would often play against the same squads a week apart and Taylor shredded them,it wasnt close. Taylor has the potential to be the NFL's top back for many years. taylor's worst season he had 500 yards more rushing than Barkley's best. Taylor averaged over 2,000 rushing yards a season for his college career.

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

When we drafted JT, I made a post saying JT was as good as, if not better than SB. I was then ridiculed by our resident know it all poster...NewColtsFan.

I'll tag him properly so he can defend himself @NewColtsFan

That was a heckuva observation from you. I didnt watch too much of JT at Wisconsin. 6 games or so, but i knew he was a quick dude and not as prone to lateral cuts as Saquon but you know Saquon came in with that Trent Richardson/Reggie Bush hype where folks kind of slept on JT, i dont get it....he was the best college back in his class but somehow the draft hype just never came and teams maybe thought he couldn't catch

On 3/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, smittywerb said:

No thanks, even in college people were saying JT > Saquon

Only the stoned ones. :)  Taylor was a great runner but not a receiver; Barkley could do it all. And their OL wasn't as good as Wisconsin's. Both great backs though. Shame about his injuries.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:56 PM, Colt.45 said:

I'll tag him properly so he can defend himself @NewColtsFan

That was a heckuva observation from you. I didnt watch too much of JT at Wisconsin. 6 games or so, but i knew he was a quick dude and not as prone to lateral cuts as Saquon but you know Saquon came in with that Trent Richardson/Reggie Bush hype where folks kind of slept on JT, i dont get it....he was the best college back in his class but somehow the draft hype just never came and teams maybe thought he couldn't catch

Thanks to @Colt .45 for the courtesy of a heads up.   The courtesy I did NOT get from the poster who lives to take cheap shots at me.     This is only the latest.    Not the least bit surprised, but now that I've had a chance to gather my thoughts, I thought I'd address @cdgacoltsfan who apparently is very proud that he predicted back on draft day 2020 that Taylor would be as good, if not better than Saquan Barkley, so he thought he'd now rub my nose in it.   

CDGA....   I assume you feel vindicated.   I have no recollection of this event,  but it seems logical that I'd scoff at that claim, so I'm happy to 100 percent own it.   Do you know who else felt the way I did?    Pretty much everyone else in the NFL,  but not that you'd care.   I did a quick check....   both Daniel Jeremiah and Todd McShay ranked Barkley as the best player in the entire 2018 class.     Not best running back,  but the best player.    Both ranked Taylor around 35.   Top of the 2nd.

But let me ask you several questions to refresh your memory......

1.    Were you defending Johnathan Taylor for the first 10 weeks of his rookie year when the prevailing view here on this site was that he was something of a disappointment, as was having an above average rookie year to that point,  but certainly not a great year.    Were you defending him then?    I was.    But you made no mention of it in your post taking a shot at me, so maybe not?    When posters here said Taylor was just another Wisconsin running back -- great in college, but average in the pros -- did you tell them they were wrong?   I did.   Did you tell them he was better than Saquon Barkley at his best?    I'm guessing no.   Remember,  Taylor didn't break out until roughly the last 6 games against weaker competition,  but he did break out.   Did you say anything then?     You make no claim here.    One would think you would.    I was supporting Taylor since the Ballard Bashers were suddenly very quiet about JT.

2.   Do you even remember, that this past season,  Taylor's incredible 1800 yard, 2021 season actually started slowly?    Do, you know what his numbers were the first five weeks?    17/56, 15/51, 10/64, 16/103 and 15/53.    3 of the 5 weeks Taylor averaged 3.5 yards per carry or less.     Were you defending him then?    You made no claim to.    People here were screaming about what the heck happened to our once great running game?!?    i defended Taylor and pointed to the fact that 4 of our 5 starting lineman were either playing badly hurt (Fisher, Nelson, Kelly) or were out hurt (Smith).    Most fans here didn't want to hear it.   I said not to blame Taylor.   Were you defending him?    Cause I sure was.

3.   You're also now comparing Taylor, running behind a dominant offensive line in a good offense.   And comparing him to Barkley who has already suffered a major knee injury at the start of his 3rd year (2020) and he might never be the same player.   He's also had a bad offensive line, a bad quarterback, and not great receivers.   Things were so bad that the GM who drafted him, the HC, and the coordinator are all gone.    So, you're comparing one running back who is in a great situation with another who is not only diminished due to injury,  but is in a bad situation in New York.    Not exactly a fair comparison.    

Do you know WHY Taylor fell to the 2nd round?    Not that he wasn't talented.   In his 3-years at Wisconsin, he basically got 300 carries a season, just over 900 total for 3 years.    Barkley had 670 carries.    Scouts feared Taylor was badly over-used and the best of him was used up in college.    Scouts thought Taylor might not have much tread left on his tires.   That was the big fear.   

You actually think what has unfolded proves you right.   I think you won the lottery and are now claiming you knew what the winning numbers were all along and are trying to take credit for what amounts to....  a fluke.    But if it makes you feel good to think you were right about something and I was wrong....    Go.   Right.   Ahead.     Enjoy!

I wonder if you'll even respond to this.....?   

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks to @Colt .45 for the courtesy of a heads up.   The courtesy I did NOT get from the poster who lives to take cheap shots at me.     This is only the latest.    Not the least bit surprised, but now that I've had a chance to gather my thoughts, I thought I'd address @cdgacoltsfan who apparently is very proud that he predicted back on draft day 2020 that Taylor would be as good, if not better than Saquan Barkley, so he thought he'd now rub my nose in it.   

CDGA....   I assume you feel vindicated.   I have no recollection of this event,  but it seems logical that I'd scoff at that claim, so I'm happy to 100 percent own it.   Do you know who else felt the way I did?    Pretty much everyone else in the NFL,  but not that you'd care.   I did a quick check....   both Daniel Jeremiah and Todd McShay ranked Barkley as the best player in the entire 2018 class.     Not best running back,  but the best player.    Both ranked Taylor around 35.   Top of the 2nd.

But let me ask you several questions to refresh your memory......

1.    Were you defending Johnathan Taylor for the first 10 weeks of his rookie year when the prevailing view here on this site was that he was something of a disappointment, as was having an above average rookie year to that point,  but certainly not a great year.    Were you defending him then?    I was.    But you made no mention of it in your post taking a shot at me, so maybe not?    When posters here said Taylor was just another Wisconsin running back -- great in college, but average in the pros -- did you tell them they were wrong?   I did.   Did you tell them he was better than Saquon Barkley at his best?    I'm guessing no.   Remember,  Taylor didn't break out until roughly the last 6 games against weaker competition,  but he did break out.   Did you say anything then?     You make no claim here.    One would think you would.    I was supporting Taylor since the Ballard Bashers were suddenly very quiet about JT.

2.   Do you even remember, that this past season,  Taylor's incredible 1800 yard, 2021 season actually started slowly?    Do, you know what his numbers were the first five weeks?    17/56, 15/51, 10/64, 16/103 and 15/53.    3 of the 5 weeks Taylor averaged 3.5 yards per carry or less.     Were you defending him then?    You made no claim to.    People here were screaming about what the heck happened to our once great running game?!?    i defended Taylor and pointed to the fact that 4 of our 5 starting lineman were either playing badly hurt (Fisher, Nelson, Kelly) or were out hurt (Smith).    Most fans here didn't want to hear it.   I said not to blame Taylor.   Were you defending him?    Cause I sure was.

3.   You're also now comparing Taylor, running behind a dominant offensive line in a good offense.   And comparing him to Barkley who has already suffered a major knee injury at the start of his 3rd year (2020) and he might never be the same player.   He's also had a bad offensive line, a bad quarterback, and not great receivers.   Things were so bad that the GM who drafted him, the HC, and the coordinator are all gone.    So, you're comparing one running back who is in a great situation with another who is not only diminished due to injury,  but is in a bad situation in New York.    Not exactly a fair comparison.    

Do you know WHY Taylor fell to the 2nd round?    Not that he wasn't talented.   In his 3-years at Wisconsin, he basically got 300 carries a season, just over 900 total for 3 years.    Barkley had 670 carries.    Scouts feared Taylor was badly over-used and the best of him was used up in college.    Scouts thought Taylor might not have much tread left on his tires.   That was the big fear.   

You actually think what has unfolded proves you right.   I think you won the lottery and are now claiming you knew what the winning numbers were all along and are trying to take credit for what amounts to....  a fluke.    But if it makes you feel good to think you were right about something and I was wrong....    Go.   Right.   Ahead.     Enjoy!

I wonder if you'll even respond to this.....?   

Wow! A 20 page rambling dissertation that eventually leads to you calling JT a fluke. Interesting to say the least 

56 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Wow! A 20 page rambling dissertation that eventually leads to you calling JT a fluke. Interesting to say the least 

If that's your takeaway....     that you think that I think JT is a fluke,  then you have misread this completely.

Why am I not surprised?

The fluke was yours,  no one else.     Guessing that Taylor would be better than Barkley is the fluke.

If it's NOT a fluke then you might as well be an NFL scout.     Because you're wasting your time being a fan posting on a message board.     

Archived