Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2022 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I never thought this day would come but I believe it is well deserved. 

One of my favorite players to never wear a Mets uniform has been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Fred McGriff who played for Toronto, San Diego and the Atlanta Braves, and a few other teams was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I am very pleased for him. He was a quiet player who hit 30+ HRs in five or six consecutive years before the steroids era. It was big back then to hit 30+ HRs. I believe that because he was low key and did not draw attention himself, he was overlooked as a great player. I am very pleased for him. 

Congrats to Fred McGriff! :fireworks:

https://www.mlb.com/video/live-now-fred-mcgriff-45342

Lots of comments in the video about his time with the Braves and some with the Padres. Good listen if you are a fan. I have not heard the name Mark Lemke in quite some time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fred-mc-griff-elected-to-baseball-hall-of-fame-barry-bonds-roger-clemens-come-up-short-again-034452754.html

@Lancer1 you should listen. Apparently, the press conference is in San Diego and there are beat writers there. He talks about his trade from Toronto. I forgot that Joe Carter was with San Diego before going to Toronto and later hitting that World Series winning HR. I liked baseball so much more then. 

@2006Coltsbestever I did not know that McGriff played with the Cubs. I remember him playing with the Devil Rays. @Barry Sears, do you have memories of Fred McGriff?

When I was in college, a guy that I was friends with told me that he grew up in Syracuse and was a huge fan of Fred McGriff. He told me that McGriff played minor league ball in Syracuse. McGriff was also a Yankees minor leaguer. I recall years ago, fans complained that then Yankees owner George Steinbrenner would mortgage the future by trading young players for older players. Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner were among the many they traded away. (I did not follow the Yankees; so, I don't know all the other ones.) 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

RIP, I missed it too. By the way Verlander signed with the Mets.

I hate the signing. He is a great player but I am tired of signing older players. I miss deGrom. We have lost all our pitchers: deGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, Harvey, and Zach Wheeler. Besides Harvey, why did we not do more to retain our home-grown pitchers. I have been complaining about this approach to building a team for as long as I could remember. 

Verlander could work out but how many more years do we have of him? He is on the verge of retirement. 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hate the signing. He is a great player but I am tired of signing older players. I miss deGrom. We have lost all our pitchers: deGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, Harvey, and Zach Wheeler. Besides Harvey, why did we not do more to retain our home-grown pitchers. I have been complaining about this approach to building a team for as long as I could remember. 

Verlander could work out but how many more years do we have of him? He is on the verge of retirement. 

He wants to play another 5 years, deGrom has more of the injury concern than Verlander and Scherzer, honestly while deGrom is better when healthy he  is rarely healthy.

Alos, Cody Bellinger signed 1yr 17.5M with Cubs tonight.

Trea Turner to Phillies on 11yrs 300M. 

MLB Draft Lottery is going on tonight

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

He wants to play another 5 years, deGrom has more of the injury concern than Verlander and Scherzer, honestly while deGrom is better when healthy he  is rarely healthy.

Alos, Cody Bellinger signed 1yr 17.5M with Cubs tonight.

Trea Turner to Phillies on 11yrs 300M. 

MLB Draft Lottery is going on tonight

I saw the Trea Turner signing.

I see what you are saying with the Mets signings. I just do not like signing other teams' stars. I like to draft and trade for young players, develop them, and have them play for us for many years. Unfortunately, the Mets have rarely been that type of team. The Cardinals often are; the Astros are like this now. The Cubs and Royals won with their own young playera.. Successful teams have young, hungry players who develop a love of their organization. 

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I saw the Trea Turner signing.

I see what you are saying with the Mets signings. I just do not like signing other teams' stars. I like to draft and trade for young players, develop them, and have them play for us for many years. Unfortunately, the Mets have rarely been that type of team. The Cardinals often are; the Astros are like this now. The Cubs and Royals won with their own young playera.. Successful teams have young, hungry players who develop a love of their organization. 

That helps keep me sane a bit as a Cardinals fan.  They have holes to fill and have yet to sign anyone, but it is not unusual for them to be in this situation.  

Congrats to the Crime Dog, it's well deserved! Another deserving player was snubbed yet again, it's Curt Schilling and IMO it makes a mockery of the Hall of Fame. His career & success in the postseason (11-2 record) eclipse those of several of the pitchers who are already in Cooperstown, or will be in the coming years. He was never involved in any major scandal, cheating or other misconduct in his playing days but because he expresses unpopular (to some) and politically incorrect opinions, he is repeatedly denied his rightful honor of being inducted as one of MLB's all time greats. There are cheaters enshrined in Cooperstown, racists too and others who's stats were inflated by not having to compete against Black players who were just as good if not better but this guy who has  3,116 career strikeouts and played in the World Series with 3 different teams, winning with it 2, Co-MVP in 1 of them & NLCS MVP in the one in which his team didn't win can't get in because some holier than thou writers feel his post-career stances that offend some people, outweigh his impressive achievements in what should've otherwise been a no-doubt 1st ballot Hall of Fame career.

15 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Cubs get Tallion,

Cards get Willson Contreras (5yr 87.5M)

AARON JUDGE returns to Yankees for 9yrs 360M, had the same offer from Giants but chose Yankees.

Glad he is staying in the AL.  

On 12/6/2022 at 3:39 PM, NFLfan said:

@2006Coltsbestever I did not know that McGriff played with the Cubs. I remember him playing with the Devil Rays. @Barry Sears, do you have memories of Fred McGriff?

When I was in college, a guy that I was friends with told me that he grew up in Syracuse and was a huge fan of Fred McGriff. He told me that McGriff played minor league ball in Syracuse. McGriff was also a Yankees minor leaguer. I recall years ago, fans complained that then Yankees owner George Steinbrenner would mortgage the future by trading young players for older players. Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner were among the many they traded away. (I did not follow the Yankees; so, I don't know all the other ones.) 

@NFLfan I remember McGriff very well and I'm glad to see he's headed to HOF.  Seems like even when he made an out, he hit the ball hard.  Seemed to always make solid contact and he was a big part of all the teams he played for.

18 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Cubs get Tallion,

Cards get Willson Contreras (5yr 87.5M)

AARON JUDGE returns to Yankees for 9yrs 360M, had the same offer from Giants but chose Yankees.

Glad my Cardinals were able to get Contreras to replace Molina.  He is better offensively, of course, and although he is not a Gold Glove catcher, he is above average defensively.  He will fit well into that batting order.  Rumors that the Cardinals may also try and get Swanson for SS, but that would surprise me, even though I'd like to see that, too.

Been an eventful week in baseball with many of the big names agreeing on new deals.  Padres made a splash with the Bogaerts deal which may push Tatis to the outfield.

17 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

@NFLfan I remember McGriff very well and I'm glad to see he's headed to HOF.  Seems like even when he made an out, he hit the ball hard.  Seemed to always make solid contact and he was a big part of all the teams he played for.

Thanks. I also saw something about the Mets and the Rays making a trade. I looked at the headline but did not read it. It is a reliever going to the Mets.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Glad he is staying in the AL.  

I wish the Cubs would have signed him for 370 Mill lmao just to make you worry (sarcasm). Yankees signed him for 360 Mill over 9 years. Cubs have been cheap though since we won the WS. I applaud a team like the Padres, they got Bogaerts and even tried for Judge and it was close with him. We didn't even want to give Bryant big money and he is a top 5 Cub ever. Hey I will always have 2016, a top 10 team ever per MLB.com Season 10 Bbq GIF by The Simpsons.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Glad my Cardinals were able to get Contreras to replace Molina.  He is better offensively, of course, and although he is not a Gold Glove catcher, he is above average defensively.  He will fit well into that batting order. 

Apparently Molina recommended him. Weird having the first new starting catcher in 20 years.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wish the Cubs would have signed him for 370 Mill lmao just to make you worry (sarcasm). Yankees signed him for 360 Mill over 9 years. Cubs have been cheap though since we won the WS. I applaud a team like the Padres, they got Bogaerts and even tried for Judge and it was close with him. We didn't even want to give Bryant big money and he is a top 5 Cub ever. Hey I will always have 2016, a top 10 team ever per MLB.com Season 10 Bbq GIF by The Simpsons.

Signing Bryant to big money wouldve killed us longterm as he just cant stay healthy 

46 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Mets signed Nimmo and Robertson today, 8/168M for Nimmo. 1/10M for Robertson

Thank you. I saw Nimmo's signing. I like Nimmo very much; he hustles on the bases like no Mets player I have ever seen. But that is way too much for him. Too many years and too much money per year. Now, what will they give Alonzo? 

I cannot believe what the players are making now. My days of attending 10+ games a year are long over. 

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you. I saw Nimmo's signing. I like Nimmo very much; he hustles on the bases like no Mets player I have ever seen. But that is way too much for him. Too many years and too much money per year. Now, what will they give Alonzo? 

I cannot believe what the players are making now. My days of attending 10+ games a year are long over. 

It is pretty much the market rate these days. The extending over 8yrs is to keep AAV down for Luxury tax purposes. There is a crap ton of money coming into MLB and the players are getting more of the share than they use to

• 3 weeks later...

Original Met Frank Thomas (not the White Sox player) has died at the age of 93. Last summer he went to Citifield, the stadium where the Mets play, to participate in Old Timers Day. Frank Thomas was an All Star with the Pirates before his time with the Mets. 

@buccolts, did you see Frank Thomas play?

https://sports.yahoo.com/frank-thomas-pirates-star-original-015850468.html

Frank Thomas, a three-time All-Star with his hometown Pittsburgh Pirates who later became the top hitter on the expansion New York Mets, died Monday. 

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Original Met Frank Thomas (not the White Sox player) has died at the age of 93. Last summer he went to Citifield, the stadium where the Mets play, to participate in Old Timers Day. Frank Thomas was an All Star with the Pirates before his time with the Mets. 

@buccolts, did you see Frank Thomas play?

I had his baseball card, but didn't get an opportunity to see him play much.

My only opportunities would have been vs. the Cubs, so not often, and I was pretty young with better things to do, like playing baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived