Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2022 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Astros are paper champions, my 2016 Cubs would destroy those cheaters with MVP - Bryant, Rizzo in his prime, Baez, Jake, Lester, Hendricks, Chapman at his best. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- we were voted the 7th best team in history (2016 team) since 1903, Astros are a bunch of cheating chumps. The only teams I would fear would be the 1998 Yankees, 1986 Mets, and the Big Red Machine of 1975 - since 1970.

2011 Cards were great as well, Albert is a bad man! Dodgers are MEH haha , they lose to weak teams every year.

Astros are a very good, well coached team in a year where there are No Super Teams..

Yankees have many flaws and don't play smart and are not well.coached.. They did well reaching the ALCS and doubt they played much over .500 after the all star break.

Yankee teams of the past like teams you mentioned above would beat astros easily.

Verlander had nothing in gm1 but they couldn't take advantage and struck out 17 times. But regardless of importance of situation, Boone will put minor league talent Schmidt in game lol. 

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Astros are a very good, well coached team in a year where there are No Super Teams..

Yankees have many flaws and don't play smart and are not well.coached.. They did well reaching the ALCS and doubt they played much over .500 after the all star break.

Yankee teams of the past like teams you mentioned above would beat astros easily.

Verlander had nothing in gm1 but they couldn't take advantage and struck out 17 times. But regardless of importance of situation, Boone will put minor league talent Schmidt in game lol. 

Astros at 106 wins and Dodgers at 111 wins qualify as "Super Teams" to me.  

Braves and Mets each with 101 wins comes close.  

Astros are the only one of those teams left.  I do like when the playoffs go this way.  Go Padres!

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Astros at 106 wins and Dodgers at 111 wins qualify as "Super Teams" to me.  

Braves and Mets each with 101 wins comes close.  

Astros are the only one of those teams left.  I do like when the playoffs go this way.  Go Padres!

Dodgers probably a  super team with 111 wins but in NL......and only 1 world championship despite dominating NL year after year. Astros are best in the AL, which was down this year and they play in AL west which always is a weak division. My yardstick for super teams isn't based on regular season total wins, that can be misleading if you have a very weak divisional foe or two and you play them 19 times each.

But Dodgers, and now mets, and usually Yankees and recent Padres, and others will most likely be playing in October next year, and year after that and so on. That's one good thing having your favorite team willingly and able to have major payrolls and put themselves into meaningful games when the season playoffs come. 

Only one team can win it all, but fans of the Big Franchises can expect to have their team participate when it matters most. 

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Dodgers probably a  super team with 111 wins but in NL......and only 1 world championship despite dominating NL year after year. Astros are best in the AL, which was down this year and they play in AL west which always is a weak division. My yardstick for super teams isn't based on regular season total wins, that can be misleading if you have a very weak divisional foe or two and you play them 19 times each.

I typically go season by season since high payroll teams will add and lose players in the off season.  If a team wins over 100 games they are a "super team" for that season anyway.  

It is great to see the "super teams" lose early in the playoffs.   Dodgers went down hard :banana:.  

Schedule changes next season.   Each team will have to play every other team in the league.  Interleague games go from 20 games to 46 games.  Division games go from 76 games to 52 games.  Not sure how I feel about that.  

A few years ago, Mets fans wanted the team to sign Machado or Harper. I did not want either, as I do not like signing high-priced free agents, especially not for $300 million each. :Yikes: 

Both Machado and Harper are still in the playoffs and one will go to the World Series. I still would not sign either for all that money. 

Which of the remaining teams has the most players from their farm system? 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, NFLfan said:

A few years ago, Mets fans wanted the team to sign Machado or Harper. I did not want either, as I do not like signing high-priced free agents, especially not for $300 million each. :Yikes: 

Both Machado and Harper are still in the playoffs and one will go to the World Series. I still would not sign either for all that money. 

Which of the remaining teams has the most players from their farm system? 

It's definitely not the Padres, and probably not the Yankees either.

As for the ginormous salaries paid to superstar places, unfortunately that's  the cost of being competitive these days. If you're not willing to spend the money, most of your divisional rivals will be and you won't be able to keep up - I know, because that was the Padres for decades! Not only would they fail to attract quality free agents, but they would often lose their own homegrown talent to other teams that were willing to spend what it takes to win.

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

It's definitely not the Padres, and probably not the Yankees

I think it is the Astros. They are 3-0 in this round of the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

As for the ginormous salaries paid to superstar places, unfortunately that's  the cost of being competitive these days. If you're not willing to spend the money, most of your divisional rivals will be and you won't be able to keep up - I know, because that was the Padres for decades! Not only would they fail to attract quality free agents, but they would often lose their own homegrown talent to other teams that were willing to spend what it takes to win.

You may be right. I liked when teams like the Cardinals won with players that they developed. I think the Cubs and the Royals did too. 

On 10/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, Myles said:

I typically go season by season since high payroll teams will add and lose players in the off season.  If a team wins over 100 games they are a "super team" for that season anyway.  

It is great to see the "super teams" lose early in the playoffs.   Dodgers went down hard :banana:.  

Schedule changes next season.   Each team will have to play every other team in the league.  Interleague games go from 20 games to 46 games.  Division games go from 76 games to 52 games.  Not sure how I feel about that.  

Since there are so many wild card spots I'm in favor of the 'Balanced' schedule.. Also next year 'infield shifts' will not be allowed.. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I think it will help bring the game back to where it was. Less swinging for the fences, less strikeouts, and higher batting averages..Also computerized strike zone, I like that. Overall, I think the changes will be good for the game.

I've never been a Dodger fan but I don't dislike them or other teams  because they try to win and have High Payrolls.. I do dislike organizations that don't spend and trade away good players and dump salaries and are in it just to make profit instead of competing for their fans..Teams like Pirates, Marlins, A's, Orioles etc.. Thats where you and I have different opinions, Lol.

Looks like Phillies will go against Astros. I don't know how much I will watch, I will probably watch more if the Astros aren't winning, but I doubt that..But Phillies are hot at the right time.

Enjoy the series. 

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Since there are so many wild card spots I'm in favor of the 'Balanced' schedule.. Also next year 'infield shifts' will not be allowed.. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I think it will help bring the game back to where it was. Less swinging for the fences, less strikeouts, and higher batting averages..Also computerized strike zone, I like that. Overall, I think the changes will be good for the game.

I've never been a Dodger fan but I don't dislike them or other teams  because they try to win and have High Payrolls.. I do dislike organizations that don't spend and trade away good players and dump salaries and are in it just to make profit instead of competing for their fans..Teams like Pirates, Marlins, A's, Orioles etc.. Thats where you and I have different opinions, Lol.

Looks like Phillies will go against Astros. I don't know how much I will watch, I will probably watch more if the Astros aren't winning, but I doubt that..But Phillies are hot at the right time.

Enjoy the series. 

The Phillies are flaming hot right now,  it should be an entertaining Series and not the Astros sweep that many predict. There are good storylines no matter who wins, but with Philly just getting there, I think GM & Owners will be alot less reluctant to fire an underperforming coach mid-season after watching what Rob Thomson accomplished as an interim Manager.

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I do dislike organizations that don't spend and trade away good players and dump salaries and are in it just to make profit instead of competing for their fans..Teams like Pirates, Marlins, A's, Orioles etc..

You can include the Castillini Reds in this category as well. The ownership does not care about the fans and being competitive at all. Only interested in being in the black. 

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

The Phillies are flaming hot right now,  it should be an entertaining Series and not the Astros sweep that many predict. There are good storylines no matter who wins, but with Philly just getting there, I think GM & Owners will be alot less reluctant to fire an underperforming coach mid-season after watching what Rob Thomson accomplished as an interim Manager.

I hate the Astros because of the previous cheating scandals, of which I just can't get past and I know it's ridiculous. I am happy for Dusty Baker though. Always thought we should've kept him with the Reds... His teams are very often competitive. 

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I hate the Astros because of the previous cheating scandals, of which I just can't get past and I know it's ridiculous. I am happy for Dusty Baker though. Always thought we should've kept him with the Reds... His teams are very often competitive. 

I feel good for Dusty as well, and wonder why the Padres didn't hire him in 2016 (when they hired Andy Green) or 2020 (when they hired Jayce Tingler) because I believe he was available both times and you're correct, his teams are always competitive.

In 2020 he definitely was available, because he was a finalist for the Phillies' job along with Buck Showalter & Joe Girardi, the latter of whom was hired, and fired this year. Now Philadelphia gets to face Baker & his loaded team in the Fall Classic.

8 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I forgot that the Phillies started the year with Girardi. Is Rob Thomson the former 2nd baseman of the Giants? They had a player called Robby Thompson, I believe. You may not be as old as I am. I have been watching baseball since 1985-1986 but I became a diehard baseball fan in 1988 or 1989. I have not followed much the last 2 or so years. 

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

After winning 106 regular season games this year and going to the World Series last year and this year, why has the Astros not extended Dusty Baker's contract? :scratch: He is not signed for next year. SMH.

If the Astros do win it all this time, his asking price will definitely go up, if he even wants to return - he may choose to go out on top!

10 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I don't blame him, he was never winning anything with that cesspool and their terrible fans anyway. Their fans are the worst, when the Cubs were great they were just overwhelming trolling on the ESPN threads toward us. Saying we sucked and they ruled. All I can is 1-0 in Titles, we have 1 more than them since 1947 = integration. You know how I am Kobe Bryant Nba GIF

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't blame him, he was never winning anything with that cesspool and their terrible fans anyway. Their fans are the worst, when the Cubs were great they were just overwhelming trolling on the ESPN threads toward us. Saying we sucked and they ruled. All I can is 1-0 in Titles, we have 1 more than them since 1947 = integration. You know how I am Kobe Bryant Nba GIF

I've never had any issues with Brewer fans so I hold no grudges against them.   I have had issues with Cubs fans in the past but I still don't really dislike the Cubs because of their fans.  I figure all fan basses have some jerks in them.  

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For the First time since the 1950s a team has a no-hitter in the WS! Sadly it's the Astros 

Series tied 2-2

I watched a little of the game.   It was very boring.  A no hitter is cool but lacks a bit of something for me since 4 pitchers combined for it.  

I'm glad the Phillies made a good series of this.   Gotta win tonight.  

13 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

For the First time since the 1950s a team has a no-hitter in the WS! Sadly it's the Astros 

Series tied 2-2

One night they're pummeled with 4 homeruns and skunked by a score of 7-0, the next night they no-hit some of the hottest batters in the league - that's baseball!

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

One night they're pummeled with 4 homeruns and skunked by a score of 7-0, the next night they no-hit some of the hottest batters in the league - that's baseball!

I wish I had watched it. Maybe I will watch some tonight.

Enjoy it!

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yep, they play the next 1 or 2 on the road.   I'll be pulling for Philly but the odds are not good for them.  

They play the next 2 (if a Game 7 is necessary) in Houston, under the 2-3-2 format. It's supposed to give home field advantage to the team with the better record, ensuring that if the series goes 7 games, the team with the advantage has 4 home games to the others' 3, and the decisive Games 6 & 7 (if necessary) are at the advantaged team's home. 

The team without the advantage can easily seize it, all they have to do is win 1 of the first 2, then they get 3 at home and a chance to end the series at their home, if they can win all 3 of their home games. Philly was able to against the Padres, but Houston took back their advantage by winning 2 out of 3 in Philadelphia, although winning just 1 of the 3 would've ensured that the series would go back to, and conclude in Houston.  By winning 2 of 3 on the road, Houston ensured that they only have 1 of the next 2 at home and they're Champions again, this time without the asterisk!

Astros win the World Series. It was loud in that stadium. 

I'm happy for Dusty Baker. He has been Manager of the Year several times and all his teams seem to make the playoffs (Giants, Cubs, Reds, Nationals, Astros, maybe another) but this is his first time winning a World Series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also happy for Dusty Baker but wish his first ring didn't happen with the Astros.  Several years ago, I was intrigued by the Astros after they dismantled the roster once Bagwell, Biggio and others left or retired.  They started building their minor league system to provide MLB talent and after a few dismal years they were a real contender again...then the cheating thing was discovered, and I lost all respect for the franchise.

They developed incredible talent, and you see it in the current roster.  They made some very good trades and FA pickups, too.

But that cheating cloud still hangs over them as long as Altuve and some of the other veterans remain on the roster.

Hot Stove season is here and there are lots of interesting moves to be made and Free Agents to sign.

9 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Also happy for Dusty Baker but wish his first ring didn't happen with the Astros.  Several years ago, I was intrigued by the Astros after they dismantled the roster once Bagwell, Biggio and others left or retired.  They started building their minor league system to provide MLB talent and after a few dismal years they were a real contender again...then the cheating thing was discovered, and I lost all respect for the franchise.

They developed incredible talent, and you see it in the current roster.  They made some very good trades and FA pickups, too.

But that cheating cloud still hangs over them as long as Altuve and some of the other veterans remain on the roster.

Hot Stove season is here and there are lots of interesting moves to be made and Free Agents to sign.

Glad to see you back. :)

Archived