Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2022 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not home yet but reading the Mets game thread. Mets fans are don't like the calls of this home plate ump. Apparently the ump called strikes for Darvish which they said were called balls for Sherzer. 

Down 2-0 already. 

Without bias, I say the home plate umpire was good, and fair. Both starting pitchers had some real close pitches called as balls, and others that were called strikes. Scherzer was getting alot of late movement on his pitches - some of them drifted into the strike zone and others ended up real close but just out of it, and were appropriately called.

In 4 & 2/3 innings, Max struck out 4 batters (3 swinging) and didn't walk anyone. He was good and real close to the strike zone, and Padres hitters were aggressive because like with Yu Darvish, one usually has to get to Scherzer early if at all, before he settles in.

After Trent Grisham's 2nd inning homerun to make the score 3-0, Max retired the next 7 batters before the wheels came off in the 5th inning in which he faced 6 Padres, retiring 2 of them but giving up a single, a double and 2 homers before being mercifilly pulled.

I was listening to the Cardinals game and they were up 2-0 going into the 9th.   I wasn't able to see or hear the 9th but I guess I'm glad I didn't.  Phillies scored 6 runs to win game 1.  

Bummer, but I guess we will see tonight.  

I am happy for the Padres.

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Without bias, I say the home plate umpire was good, and fair. Both starting pitchers had some real close pitches called as balls, and others that were called strikes. Scherzer was getting alot of late movement on his pitches - some of them drifted into the strike zone and others ended up real close but just out of it, and were appropriately called.

In 4 & 2/3 innings, Max struck out 4 batters (3 swinging) and didn't walk anyone. He was good and real close to the strike zone, and Padres hitters were aggressive because like with Yu Darvish, one usually has to get to Scherzer early if at all, before he settles in.

After Trent Grisham's 2nd inning homerun to make the score 3-0, Max retired the next 7 batters before the wheels came off in the 5th inning in which he faced 6 Padres, retiring 2 of them but giving up a single, a double and 2 homers before being mercifilly pulled.

Thank you. I got home and it was already 7-0. Let's see what happens today.

47 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you. I got home and it was already 7-0. Let's see what happens today.

Fans were booing Scherzer as he exited the game, as if he wanted to get pummeled out there. You're right, we'll see what happens today (and possibly tomorrow too) and these same folks may be wanting  Max to shut down the Dodgers' bats, which is far easier said than done.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Fans were booing Scherzer as he exited the game, as if he wanted to get pummeled out there. You're right, we'll see what happens today (and possibly tomorrow too) and these same folks may be wanting  Max to shut down the Dodgers' bats, which is far easier said than done.

That's terrible. It looks bad. It is a game. Unfortunately fans all over seem to do that. Colts fans and Vikings fans have done that this year.

I never boo players who play for teams I root for. When I was a lot younger, I used to take my nephews and my niece to many games -- baseball, college basketball, tennis, and more. I taught them not to boo players they root for. Some told me I was taking the fun out of the game for the kids. 

19 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

It appears as if "Mad Max" was hurting last night, which contrtibuted to his ineffectiveness:

https://www.sny.tv/articles/mets-max-scherzer-game-1-padres-oblique-injury

Thanks for sharing. I always believe that players should not play if they are injured, but competitive people like to play. Regardless, the Mets hitting is poor and they probably would have lost even if he was at 100%. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Padres are playing the Mets -- game is tied at 1-1, but Josh Bell of the Padtes just got a base hit to lead the 4th inning. 

The Phillies are playing the Cards -- 1-0 Phillies.

Phillies closed out the Cardinals, and the Mets won 7-2. We're the only game tomorrow, as the rest of the Wild Card series resulted in sweeps. No matter what happens tomorrow, these clowns are gonna need to change this presumptive graphic:

FekdPHHVEAE1pjc.jpeg.30589bbd1c09368a636541373ff1e3d2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Disappointing ending for the Cardinals.   I didn't expect them to advance too far but still disappointed.   Good season for them all in all.  

I'm hoping not to be disappointed as well tonite - nonetheless, I like the best of 3 Wild Card format alot better than the 1 & done play-in games of the past.

Now that the automatic runner is gone for the playoffs, I hope it's gone for upcoming reagular seasons too. I understood it during the Covid shortened season, but I feel it outlived it's usefulness after that.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Going to the bottom of the 8th, it is 6-0 Padres. The Mets won't come back.

I'm rooting for the Padres in the NL and Houston or Cleveland in the AL. Maybe Cleveland. 

Who was on the mound tonight for Mets?

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Chris Bassitt started, went 4 innings and gave up 3 earned runs. The way local boy Joe Musgrove was locked in, that appears to be enough!

That Padres team is just loaded. Lol.

Don't even have Tatis.....smh.

Hopefully Yankees can get something done this year.

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely upset about the Mets. Sadly I expected it as per usual.

We were the worst possible draw for you in this round - in the 6 regular season games between our clubs, we won 4 of them, beating Scherzer in 1 of them. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Scherzer has a choked a lot in the playoffs, he did against my Cubs in 2017. Congrats on the win, beating the Mets is a great accomplishment.

In his defense, he was hurt but with a $40 million contract, he probably felt the need to take the ball and go for it.

Beating the Mets is a huge accomplishment, and having faced Cy Young Award winners Scherzer &  deGrom will definitely prepare us for the talented Dodgers pitching staff.

15 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

We were the worst possible draw for you in this round - in the 6 regular season games between our clubs, we won 4 of them, beating Scherzer in 1 of them. 

They pulled a Colts end of season collapse against Atlanta. Losing out on that mini bye was killer. Agreed SD was a bad matchup. 

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Definitely upset about the Mets. Sadly I expected it as per usual.

Mets fan?

I'm disappointed but I was disappointed that they did not win the division, as they would have gotten that much needed first-round bye. 

Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Scherzer has a choked a lot in the playoffs, he did against my Cubs in 2017. Congrats on the win, beating the Mets is a great accomplishment.

That is what I thought too but his record in the playoffs is pretty good. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Mets fan?

I'm disappointed but I was disappointed that they did not win the division, as they would have gotten that much needed first-round bye. 

Maybe next year.

To many maybe next years with the Mets..:D. But absolutely them melting down against Atl was the beginning of the end.

I'm a dual Yankee/Met fan which is strange. Born near the old Yankee stadium and grew up near Shea stadium. Have great family/friend memories at both places so I pull for both. Moreso the Mets because who doesn't want to pull for the loveable loser??:D

I'm pulling for Seattle knowing they have little hope.  

9 of the top 12 payrolls made the playoffs.   

Los Angeles Dodgers$284,730,745

New York Mets265,998,338

N.Y. Yankees236,838,214

Philadelphia224,448,846

San Diego211,968,286

Boston211,865,559

Chicago White Sox190,370,219

Atlanta184,630,000

Los Angeles Angels181,888,095

Houston174,356,000

Toronto170,740,621

St. Louis158,196,330

San Francisco157,870,187

Texas151,477,166

Chicago Cubs146,203,500

Minnesota136,908,190

Washington135,290,221

Colorado133,141,000

Milwaukee132,189,909

Detroit129,543,200

Cincinnati113,018,214

Seattle104,635,506

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm pulling for Seattle knowing they have little hope.  

9 of the top 12 payrolls made the playoffs.   

Los Angeles Dodgers$284,730,745

New York Mets265,998,338

N.Y. Yankees236,838,214

Philadelphia224,448,846

San Diego211,968,286

Boston211,865,559

Chicago White Sox190,370,219

Atlanta184,630,000

Los Angeles Angels181,888,095

Houston174,356,000

Toronto170,740,621

St. Louis158,196,330

San Francisco157,870,187

Texas151,477,166

Chicago Cubs146,203,500

Minnesota136,908,190

Washington135,290,221

Colorado133,141,000

Milwaukee132,189,909

Detroit129,543,200

Cincinnati113,018,214

Seattle104,635,506

I am rooting for the Padres and Seattle just for fun. If Cleveland won it all that would be cool as well. They haven't won a WS in forever it seems. A Dodgers vs Yankees WS would be entertaining though, can't lie about that.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am rooting for the Padres and Seattle just for fun. If Cleveland won it all that would be cool as well. They haven't won a WS in forever it seems. A Dodgers vs Yankees WS would be entertaining though, can't lie about that.

I don't think I would tune in for any of a Dodgers/Yankees series.

@Lancer1

Enjoy the ride man. Lord knows your Padres have had a tough ride for years like the Mets.

Although upset I don't LOVE baseball like I do the Colts, that's my only true love.

I actually was happy for one thing though, my wife's cousin's dad was actually drafted by the Padres as a catcher in the late 70's/early 80's. I can't find any info on him to post because he was a life long AAA guy and made the late August call ups once and played like 1 or 2 MLB games total. Don't even think he ever had a hit or anything, but I thought that was pretty cool.

13 minutes ago, IinD said:

@Lancer1

Enjoy the ride man. Lord knows your Padres have had a tough ride for years like the Mets.

Although upset I don't LOVE baseball like I do the Colts, that's my only true love.

I actually was happy for one thing though, my wife's cousin's dad was actually drafted by the Padres as a catcher in the late 70's/early 80's. I can't find any info on him to post because he was a life long AAA guy and made the late August call ups once and played like 1 or 2 MLB games total. Don't even think he ever had a hit or anything, but I thought that was pretty cool.

I tried to play baseball in high school so I can appreciate how truly difficult it is, especially hitting - think about it,  if you can get a hit 3 out of every 10 tries, you're an All Star and 4 out of 10 times over a career, you'd be a Hall of Famer and that would still be with a 60% failure rate!

Archived